Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 28th February 2019, 22:10     #521
The Edge

Old 1st March 2019, 11:21     #522
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Ocasio-Cortez was very impressive yesterday. So much for being a mediawhore lightweight.
Old 7th March 2019, 18:03     #523
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/6/18...-cook-ceo-name

The president just called the CEO of Apple ‘Tim Apple’

His name is Tim Cook and he’s sitting right there
Old 8th March 2019, 07:43     #524
StN
I have detailed files

I'm surprised the name tag didn't mention he was gay too.
Old 8th March 2019, 12:04     #525
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

He did call him Tim Cook when the meeting began (if you bothered to watch the meeting, not just the soundbites).
Old 8th March 2019, 15:37     #526
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Manafort gets away with only 4 years!
Old 8th March 2019, 15:52     #527
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Epstein only got 13 months...
Old 11th March 2019, 21:20     #528
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Bill Binney shuts down the "Russiagate" theory
Old 12th March 2019, 10:11     #529
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
The claims of Traceroute's capabilities are somewhat overstated. Likewise all the commentary about FAT is a bit lacking if you've ever heard of AttributeChanger - which is a sensible precaution if you want to anonymise (a bit) the data source. Incidentally this also casts doubt on the later testimony about transfer speeds as that's mainly based around examination of the timestamps.

A lot of the other points are quite valid though.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 13th March 2019, 00:05     #530
Deadmeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Manafort gets away with only 4 years!
For case 1, case 2 has the potential to add another 10. Sentencing for that is any day now.
Old 20th March 2019, 13:22     #531
StN
I have detailed files

Someone remind me what the 'N' in NATO stands for...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNN
Trump says he intends to designate Brazil a non-NATO ally
Old 23rd March 2019, 22:17     #532
Nich

Mueller report is complete. Here is the US attorney general’s letter to congress:

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/...full-text.html

No indication given as to which way the needle is pointing. We get more details in the coming days. Also is the report confidential? We may only get told what its contents are, and what it means.
Old 25th March 2019, 17:22     #533
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

No collusion, no obstruction charges.

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/muckra...th-obstruction
Old 25th March 2019, 17:38     #534
Cyberbob

"While this report does not conclude that the President committed a crime, it also does not exonerate him."

I might be clutching at straws here, but without actually seeing the report, I guess Barr is free to say whatever he wants, but that above really does irk me.
Obviously those anti-Trump, or pro-Dem won't be satisfied until they've read the full report for themselves.

While there was no crime committed, what does the report actually say?

Keep in mind that Mueller didn’t make conclusions, Barr did. Also keep in mind that Barr was appointed by Trump, and has been publicly critical of the Mueller investigation in the past too. He was also heavily involved in the Iran-Contra fiasco, for what it matters.
Old 26th March 2019, 08:40     #535
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Attorney General William Barr
"While this report does not conclude that the President committed a crime, it also does not exonerate him."

lol
Old 26th March 2019, 14:09     #536
Nich

While I think it would be best for the world's mental health if we got the chance to read the report and see for ourselves, I reckon the report will not see the light of day.

Keeping the report under wraps means everyone * wins politically:
- Dems, MSNBC, CNN, Washington Post, et al can pivot the narrative from "He's definitely guilty" to "We'll never know if he's definitely innocent!"
- Republicans and FOX can change from "The left are sore losers. Witch hunt!" to "Trump's innocent, hence why not in jail."

All the while, there is no real closure and tensions can remain high so the exploitation of people's fears can continue unabated.

* except the voting public
Old 27th March 2019, 00:39     #537
Nich

Taibbi: As the Mueller Probe Ends, New Russiagate Myths Begin
https://www.rollingstone.com/politic...usions-813171/

Quote:
Mueller knows became the cornerstone belief of nearly all reporters who covered the Russia investigation. Journalists reveled in the idea of being kept out of the loop, thrilled to defer to the impenetrable steward of national secrets, the interview-proof Man of State. He was no blabbermouth Donald Trump, this Mueller! He won’t tell us a thing!
All you had to do was keep tuning in, because the good news could come any minute now! The bombshell is coming! Never mind that this is causing our profits to soar. Don’t wonder about our motives, even though outlets like MSNBC saw a 62 percent bump in viewership in the first full year of Russiagate coverage. Just keep tuning in. The walls are closing in!

Too true. Let's all guess Trump's unbeatable strategy for winning the 2020 presidential election.

What ever will John Oliver, Trevor Noah, Stephen Colbert, Seth Meyers do with themselves now? At least the comedians can just go "Hey, I'm just a comedian trying to get some laughs!". All the reputable journalistic institutions of the world can do nothing. They shot their load, they dragged their reputation into the mud, and their is no climbing out.

Here's something to lol at: GQ Keith Olberman - The Resistance
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmkXR7EL_RY

"Mueller knows! The walls are closing in!"

Every statement Trump has made about the media has aged very very well, while every news article about Trump / Russia has aged extremely poorly.
Old 29th March 2019, 09:51     #538
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
Every statement Trump has made about the media has aged very very well, while every news article about Trump / Russia has aged extremely poorly.
The Media at large is so far behind the people that it's embarrassing. The sorts of calls the people were making the minute Barr's "no collusion, no charges" summary came out weren't surprising, but the media were jumping all over "Mueller said XXX" when we hardly know anything he said. The people, the media, nor congress actually have any idea what's in the report, yet the media were acting like they knew everything.

They got a four page summary (most of which were him describing background detail of the investigation, not its results) of a 300 page report. A summary written by the man who covered up evidence of crimes by Reagan and Bush in the Iran-Contra scandal.

Barr, who supported firing of FBI director Comey, who took over after Jeff Sessions resigned at Trumps request, got the job by writing a 16 page letter to Trump detailing why the president shouldn't be investigated, and was hand picked for the job by Trump himself.

Barr has absolutely no credibility, and the media never should have seen his little cover up as anything more than propaganda.

The media are finally starting to realize that they haven’t seen the Mueller report and actually have no idea what is in it and no way to corroborate anything Barr said in his letter.

2 years of investigation, 2800 subpoenas, 500 search warrants, 500 witnesses interviewed, 34 people indicted or guilty, 20 something million dollars in illegal assets seized, continuing ongoing investigations, an unknown quantity of new investigations at state level, and now, nearly a week later the media is starting to think there's something fishy about a 4 page summary written in 24 hours about a 300+ page report, written by the guy hand picked by the guy clearly under investigation. No fucking shit.

Last edited by Cyberbob : 29th March 2019 at 09:53.
Old 29th March 2019, 13:20     #539
Nich

I agree with you, but the media doesn't know which way is up anymore it's all baseless accusations (Hell, some are even accusing Mueller of being a Russian agent! The head of the FBI!). Any attempt to do some actual investigative journalism will be met with skepticism.

So where can we turn to get a solid read on what the hell is going on? Maybe that's the point, and that's part of the propaganda. We have no grasp on the truth and no way of finding out the truth.
Old 29th March 2019, 16:51     #540
Cyberbob

Exactly. If Person A says it's raining and Person B says it's not, it's not the media's job to quote both people. It's the media's job to look out the window and tell us the truth.

I'm paraphrasing someone badly there, but it's a good point to make.
Old 29th March 2019, 17:22     #541
Nich

Tulsi on Mueller Report: Put Aside Partisan Interests & Move Forward
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rIQvhGw1EM

I hope she runs against Trump. Also, I hope someone does a Deepfake of Tulsi Gabbard's face onto Julia Louis Dreyfus.
Old 29th March 2019, 19:12     #542
Lightspeed

Trump administration reportedly approves secret nuclear power tech sales to Saudi Arabia
Old 29th March 2019, 23:32     #543
The Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
Tulsi on Mueller Report: Put Aside Partisan Interests & Move Forward
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rIQvhGw1EM

I hope she runs against Trump.
I wonder if she would have the same effect as Jacinda did at the last election? ie, young, female, up-and-coming, etc.
Old 30th March 2019, 10:52     #544
crocos

I don't think the US Electoral College is likely to allow a female president yet. Too much Old Boys Club still.

Old 1st April 2019, 13:56     #545
Nich

Obama DHS secretary says border crisis is real: 'I cannot begin to imagine' 4K apprehensions per day
https://m.washingtontimes.com/news/2...l-i-cannot-be/

Jer states that just 1,000 arrests per day overloads the system.

Then there's this from June last year:
Border arrests exceed 50,000 for third month in a row
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...=.e898f01b1dd8

Maybe IBM can help Trump with some sort of biometric database system for processing all these people crossing the border.
Old 3rd April 2019, 15:12     #546
Lightspeed

Chinese woman with 2 passports, malware arrested at Trump's Mar-a-Lago Club

The best part of this is that after passing through multiple security checkpoints it was a receptionist that caught them out.
Old 3rd April 2019, 21:52     #547
Cyberbob

Trump: "My father is German"

Narrator: "He wasn't."

Trump: “Born in a very wonderful place in Germany.”

Narrator: "He really wasn't."

Trump: "so I have a great feeling for Germany"

Narrator: "He really doesn't."

Trump wrongly claims his dad was born in Germany — for the third time
Old 3rd April 2019, 23:38     #548
CCS
Stunt Pants

Hey, maybe his father identifies as German, okay!
Old 4th April 2019, 00:19     #549
Nich

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Hey, maybe his father identifies as German, okay!
Zing, that's his truth.
Old 9th April 2019, 01:49     #550
Lightspeed

I think the best thing about the Trump administration are the sycophants, getting fired one after another, their reputations in tatters.
Old 9th April 2019, 09:48     #551
Cyberbob

The problem is that this isn't draining of the swamp, it's consolidation of power.

I'm really not sure who you're referring to when you say their reputations were in tatters.

This weekend, you've got the Secretary of Homeland Security, Kirstjen Nielsen, who resigned.
Today you've got Secret Service director Randolph Alles who was told to leave.

Alles is the 422nd person to leave their role in the Trump administration. That's one person every two days.
At the start of the year there were hundreds of unfilled leadership jobs, and it's got worse, not better.
And the ones that have been filled, are hand picked friends of Trump, and super questionable.
Old 9th April 2019, 11:48     #552
Lightspeed

I'm just talking about enjoying seeing people like Sean Spicer to Kirstjen Nielsen selling themselves out for Trump, only to be fired.
Old 9th April 2019, 12:24     #553
Cyberbob

Oh absolutely. I despise Homeland Sec after the whole border crossing fiasco, but I'm concerned Trumps replacement plan isn't exactly going to be the definition of wholesome.
Old 9th April 2019, 12:40     #554
Lightspeed

It sounds like McAleenan was trying to keep Nielsen in the job rather than take it for themselves. The only way Trump is going to be happy is if they try and break the law.
Old 10th April 2019, 16:56     #555
blynk

It will be spun as a reduction in Government bureaucracy.
Old 19th April 2019, 08:47     #556
Cyberbob

Attorney General Barr Releases Redacted Version of Special Counsel Report

Attorney General William Barr released his redacted version of Special Counsel Robert Mueller's report on Russian election interference and obstruction of justice by President Trump. Following a press conference, the report is expected to be heavily scrutinized and come under significant controversy for Barr’s extensive redactions.

The report can be found here: https://www.justice.gov/storage/report.pdf

NPR: The Mueller Report, With Redactions

The Guardian: Mueller report: Democrats round on Barr over 'misleading' Trump exoneration – live

Donald Trump - "I'm Fucked." (seriously, it's on page 220.)

Last edited by Cyberbob : 19th April 2019 at 08:49.
Old 19th April 2019, 11:08     #557
crocos

If this would be a game, it'd be Corruption: Total Info-War

Also here's the Wired article with a very similar tone to The Guardian
https://www.wired.com/story/mueller-...-justice-barr/

Old 19th April 2019, 11:13     #558
crocos

My bet is the best we'll see from this is if Trump doesn't get re-elected there might be some prosecution then, but that'd be it, and wouldn't cover anything from while he was prez.

Old 19th April 2019, 17:07     #559
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

My bet is that Trump will not only be re-elected, but will [is?] seek revenge against those who were involved in spying on him/his campaign (Hillary/DNC/Steele/Fusion GPS/Obama?)

What will unfold is an investigation into what historians will consider one of the greatest political ‘witch-hunts’ in U.S. history. If justice is served, those responsible will be outed and prosecuted.

One can only hope - it will be more entertaining than any GoT episode I've never seen. Maybe the USA can actually get its credibility back.

The alternative to Trump is who - Bernie Sanders? In a country where many don't even believe in taxation (unconstitutional!), I doubt they have the appetite to vote for a COMMUNIST!!1
Old 20th April 2019, 09:33     #560
crocos

1) Kinda why I said IF he doesn't get re-elected

2) I treat Sara Carter's reporting with huge grains of salt given that she's another right-wing mouthpiece for Fox. That being said, she's one of the more intelligent ones on that side of the fence.

3) Bernie? Lol, no. He means well but no because he's ACTUALLY left-leaning - you'll get Hilliary or similar if sentiment swings to the "left" (which is still right of centre for pretty much any other country)

Last edited by crocos : 20th April 2019 at 09:35.