Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 20th January 2010, 19:06     #1
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

honeymoon bubble goes pop

I see Brown (R) just won Kennedy's seat in Massachusetts. Ouch.
Old 20th January 2010, 19:12     #2
Lightspeed

Does that mean the Dem's are no longer filibuster proof?
Old 20th January 2010, 19:29     #3
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Solely by party numbers 59-41, yes, the filibuster is now back in play.

This just illustrates what limp dicks the Democrats are right now, as having a 59-41 MAJORITY means they're fucked.
Old 20th January 2010, 19:38     #4
Azmodan

Agreed, pathetic imo. If (when) the filibuster comes out to play the dems should do it oldschool - have a slumber party and make the republicans talk smack aaaaall night.
Old 20th January 2010, 19:45     #5
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

JS tells it like it is.

http://www.dailykos.com/tv/w/002482/
Old 20th January 2010, 20:18     #6
JP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azmodan
Agreed, pathetic imo. If (when) the filibuster comes out to play the dems should do it oldschool - have a slumber party and make the republicans talk smack aaaaall night.
They changed the rules, it doesnt take much to keep a filibuster up anymore because of how retarded it was to have someone read a phonebook and no one be able to address any other business. If they choose to filibuster, you basically need to get 60 because they don't have to do the crazy shit anymore. I think you just move on to other business until you can end it (This is from memory so may be a bit inaccurate but I know it's not that hard anymore).

The Dem's never really had 60. Lieberman is a republican. Several others are basically republicans also. The Dem's hit the lobby jackpot, they've been missing out on massive amounts of lobby money, now they aren't. That's literally all a lot of them care about. So to get 60 they had to cater to people who only care about money, the end result was a bill that is basically better for the insurance industry (who should be getting completely gutted by any genuine health care reform) than what is currently happening.

Now at least Lieberman isn't nearly as important.

It's a credit to Americans that their country manages to function at such a high level with such corrupt infrastructure. I wonder what the country would be like with honest politicians (even if the same % are insane christians).
Old 20th January 2010, 20:21     #7
Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
JS tells it like it is.

http://www.dailykos.com/tv/w/002482/
"As opposed to standing outside Fenway Park? In the cold? Shaking hands?"

Lol what a cunt, they really deserved this one.
Old 20th January 2010, 22:15     #8
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I fear Palin may actually win the next US election.
Old 27th January 2010, 14:48     #9
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Holy fucking shitballs, a SPENDING FREEZE? Has Obama been kidnapped and replaced with an impersonator?
Old 31st January 2010, 19:47     #10
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

space program spending has been cut too
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/01...asa_precursor/
Old 31st January 2010, 23:27     #11
Azmodan

Obama said he was going to cut funding for NASA space programs aaages ago. While I think it's unfortunate that it's getting scaled down for now, America can't really justify spending on space exploration atm
Old 15th February 2010, 18:34     #12
Vrtigo
Marginal Poster

tbh, i think its entirely appropriate to go balls to the wall with a boost to the economy, let it works its magic, and then halt further spending. whether it works or not is STILL up to the public, not the president. he could use the best, most ace-in-the-hole strategy, and the american public would still flounder about in self pity until they are tired of doing so.
Old 15th February 2010, 19:25     #13
doppelgänger of someone

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?p...kktzkAlA&pos=1

Obama Doesn’t "Begrudge" Bonuses for Blankfein, Dimon (CEO to Goldman Sachs and JP Morgan)

If he can just stop cellphoning himself, Obama can do no wrong.
Old 15th February 2010, 19:35     #14
doppelgänger of someone

"cellphoning himself"

errr...
Old 1st March 2010, 20:55     #15
Lightspeed

I'm beginning to feel that Obama isn't enough of a dick to survive his next election.
Old 5th March 2010, 16:08     #16
Ashley
Fuck up Ashley

Unless he really, really steps up gets this health care reform sorted, he's going to get creamed.

People are over the whole charismatic, I'm the first black president thing, and really just want to see some god damn change.
Old 5th March 2010, 16:11     #17
Lightspeed

Yeah, well, if Americans want change, they need to start thinking like their forefathers again. 'Cause their political system appears to intrinsically configured to oppose change.
Old 5th March 2010, 16:28     #18
Azmodan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashley
Unless he really, really steps up gets this health care reform sorted, he's going to get creamed.

People are over the whole charismatic, I'm the first black president thing, and really just want to see some god damn change.
Really, who is he going to get creamed by Ashley?
Old 5th March 2010, 16:35     #19
BoyWonder

Probably not Sarah Palin but it would be great for the TV ratings
Old 5th March 2010, 16:37     #20
Spink

Huckabee!
Old 21st March 2010, 23:09     #21
Lightspeed

It'll be interesting to see how this health care vote goes. I seems like this will make or break Obama.
Old 21st March 2010, 23:50     #22
Vrtigo
Marginal Poster

i dont see how, personally. the republicans have cock blocked everything thats been thrown on the table, some for good reasons, most for no other reason than to follow the party line of "obama is evil, impeach!"

if this is voted down again, its certainly not obamas fault.
Old 22nd March 2010, 11:00     #23
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrtigo
i dont see how, personally. the republicans have cock blocked everything thats been thrown on the table, some for good reasons, most for no other reason than to follow the party line of "obama is evil, impeach!"

if this is voted down again, its certainly not obamas fault.
Yes those bad republicans...It's clearly not anything to do with infighting within the democrats and the anti abortion democrats holding out to make sure no funding goes into abortions.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Healt...ry?id=10162080
Old 22nd March 2010, 17:59     #24
Lightspeed

Sah-weet! The vote passed! No doubt with a lot of nasty crap tagged on. But at the end of th day Obama can say he got this through... as long as it doesn't blow up in his face somehow.
Old 23rd March 2010, 00:12     #25
Foggerty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Sah-weet! The vote passed! No doubt with a lot of nasty crap tagged on. But at the end of th day Obama can say he got this through... as long as it doesn't blow up in his face somehow.
Holy crapstick, I was pretty certain that would never pass - that's fantastic news

Quote:
Under the legislation, health insurance will be extended to nearly all Americans, new taxes will be imposed on the wealthy, and restrictive insurance practices such as refusing to cover people with pre-existing medical conditions will be outlawed.
Old 23rd March 2010, 14:32     #26
Vrtigo
Marginal Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Incubus_
Yes those bad republicans...It's clearly not anything to do with infighting within the democrats and the anti abortion democrats holding out to make sure no funding goes into abortions.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Healt...ry?id=10162080

as i posted in the other thread..
Quote:
The bill passed in a 219-212 vote after more than a year of bitter partisan debate. All 178 Republicans opposed it.
so yea. while there were some democrats opposed to it, every single fucking republican voted no. every one. thats way too coincidental to attribute it to their personal feelings on the matter. they were towing the party line.