NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 10th November 2008, 09:57     #41
CCS
Stunt Pants

I think the whole EFA thing was just a knee-jerk reaction to fear of the Exclusive Brethren colluding to install a government of their choice. Which is just an absurd idea.
Old 10th November 2008, 10:08     #42
sv
simulationszeitalter

Helen rocked it. Apart from the last stretch. This election campaign was terrible and she could have gone out on a sweeter note if it hadn't been so snarky.

Interesting that many countries are voting left (e.g. the US), and NZ is now completely out of step.
Old 10th November 2008, 10:24     #43
Sp0nge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
No person is allowed to express a political opinion in the year of an election unless he identifies himself and where he lives, and then only if the government gives him permission.
we all expressed our political opinion here without any trouble.

blogs, TV, radio, the newspapers...
they were all full of individual's political opinions.

the reaction to the EFA is similar to the reaction to the anti-smacking bill
but it seems like right-wing over-reaction to me
Old 10th November 2008, 10:34     #44
Evoke

i wish people would stop using right-wing left-wing definitions as they don't even apply in NZ. eg. ACT is considered the most right wing, but they are also a liberal party. Whereas in the US democrats are a liberal party, and republicans are conservative. the right-wing bashing just doesn't make sense in our country, where two major parties are so centrist they could have a coalition of their own.
Old 10th November 2008, 10:35     #45
Dusty

I'm inclined to think that Aunty Helen touched Golden Teapot in the no-no place when he was a child?
Old 10th November 2008, 10:38     #46
FaTBoB

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv
Interesting that many countries are voting left (e.g. the US), and NZ is now completely out of step.
most of europe is swinging right, the general populus getting pissed off with the overly PC softness regarding crime and immigration, not that it matters with policy being send down from Brussels, and individual countries having less power than city councils. The US choose left, but Obama is right wing neocon, as is "at heart I'm a zionist" Biden(yes he said that), americans are funny.
Old 10th November 2008, 11:17     #47
caffiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaTBoB
most of europe is swinging right, the general populus getting pissed off with the overly PC softness regarding crime and immigration, not that it matters with policy being send down from Brussels, and individual countries having less power than city councils. The US choose left, but Obama is right wing neocon, as is "at heart I'm a zionist" Biden(yes he said that), americans are funny.
Old 10th November 2008, 12:11     #48
RedeviL

As much as I think Helen did a good job but fucked things up in the last couple of years, I really really didn't want to see National or Keys come into power.

Sure you shouldn't judge on past mistakes and it's really too early to tell - but looking at Nationals track record, all I can see is our future getting sold off to private enterprise and a leader who changes his word depending on the mood.

I only hope I get proved wrong - I really do.
Old 10th November 2008, 12:14     #49
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedeviL
As much as I think Helen did a good job but fucked things up in the last couple of years, I really really didn't want to see National or Keys come into power.
There may have been no other way of forcing Helen to step down for the good of the party and the good of the nation.
Old 10th November 2008, 12:17     #50
SID|DensitY

Quote:
Originally Posted by sv
Helen rocked it. Apart from the last stretch. This election campaign was terrible and she could have gone out on a sweeter note if it hadn't been so snarky.

America's Left/Right definition is very different from the rest of the world. Both the republicans and democrats are right by our standards, National is actually more inline with democrats and act with republicans. Europe on the other is what we consider left so your right there.

you could try and be perceptive and state that we are "first" in a new trend We kiwis love being first.
Old 10th November 2008, 12:19     #51
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

I think the Onion describes the US 2-party system pretty well

http://www.theonion.com/content/news...ng_lower_class
Old 10th November 2008, 12:32     #52
Toksin

So glad we no longer have to listen to that smarmy cunt Michael Cullen.
Old 10th November 2008, 12:38     #53
caffiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toksin
So glad we no longer have to listen to that smarmy cunt Michael Cullen.
On this I am agreed. I was never a fan of Cullen on a personal level. I thought overall his actual competency as Finance Minister was pretty good. He had to adhere mostly to party policy and mandate, so I'm sure many will disagree with the actual decisions made under his office, but I'm talking about his execution of the role itself.
Old 10th November 2008, 12:40     #54
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

I was a fan of Cullen as finance minister right up until this year when he went back on pretty much everything he said about fiscal prudence over the years to deliver election year bribes in the form of tax cuts.
Old 10th November 2008, 13:12     #55
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painty
Winston - gone
I liked on Saturday night how everyone was being diplomatic re Winny. But along comes Sir Roger and when asked what he thought of NZF's result he bluntly said "I don't like him. And NZ politics is better off without him. Good riddance"

geez, Sir Rog, tell us what you really think!
Old 10th November 2008, 14:52     #56
RedeviL

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
There may have been no other way of forcing Helen to step down for the good of the party and the good of the nation.
Very good point.
Old 10th November 2008, 15:23     #57
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp0nge
we all expressed our political opinion here without any trouble.
Since I wasn't approached by the police, I can only assume that no-one complained about this site's flagrant breach of NZ law. Doesn't change the fact that what we did here was illegal.
Old 10th November 2008, 15:42     #58
CCS
Stunt Pants

Will you be super pissed off if I nark on you?
Old 10th November 2008, 15:43     #59
BadNova

is there a reward for narking?
Old 10th November 2008, 16:46     #60
xor

I think Helen was an awesome PM. She got rid of the interest on student loans that the National government introduced.
She also got rid of the horrendous fee's the patients had to pay at hospitals which the National government also introduced.

She's done a lot for the working people of this country which has helped many including myself

Thanks Aunty
Old 10th November 2008, 19:16     #61
Cyberbob

Two days after losing the election outgoing Prime Minister Helen Clark is being sued for defamation over comments she made on the Auckland District Health Board laboratories row

hah

http://www.stuff.co.nz/vote08/4756353a28435.html
Old 10th November 2008, 19:31     #62
Spink

Honestly most of the people here weren't doing any worthwhile campaigning for anyone. I don't think my opinion of anyone, or any party improved based on nzg discussion. It was all essentially "lol ur a fucktard if u dont think like me, i cant even comprehend why you'd vote that way lolol" from both sides.
Old 10th November 2008, 20:06     #63
Painty

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
I think Helen was an awesome PM. She got rid of the interest on student loans that the National government introduced.
She also got rid of the horrendous fee's the patients had to pay at hospitals which the National government also introduced.

She's done a lot for the working people of this country which has helped many including myself

Thanks Aunty

Phil Goff (LABOUR) was Minister of Education when student fees went from $200 to $2500. This was also when the student loans were introduced not under National
Old 10th November 2008, 21:08     #64
Hory

Student loans were actually introduced by National in 1992.
Old 10th November 2008, 23:04     #65
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp0nge
helen hasnt gone at all
Gone, by my definition. Hell, I don't need her to be dead. Sitting on the back-bench of the losing side, and earning half her current salary, is close enough for me.
Old 10th November 2008, 23:10     #66
EvilLumpy

Wikipedia: Student Loans in NZ

Yup, '92, National.

Got one myself.

National policy [see here] say that they'll add 10% repayment bonus on their loans. Lets see if they deliver.
Old 10th November 2008, 23:32     #67
Painty

I stand corrected (After all Wiki MUSt be right )

Helen said she is going to work for her electorate: Translation: she is going to work the speaking circuit and work to get herself a plumb job at the UN
Old 11th November 2008, 17:32     #68
Cyberbob

Phil Goff eh.
Old 11th November 2008, 18:42     #69
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Great, another Muldoon-era MP who's been in Parliament for thirty years. For bonus lols he was also one of Roger Douglas's right-hand men.

THAT'S NOT CHANGE WE CAN BELIEVE IN
Old 11th November 2008, 18:58     #70
Logik
Mate, feed, kill, repeat

Whatever you think of Labour's policies, Aunty Helen was a strong leader and an excellent speaker. FWIW I too thought Labour needed to go, but you can't really say the same things about John Key! He looks lame, sounds lame and does lame shit for the media (a maori kid and a kitten.. hmm).
Old 11th November 2008, 19:10     #71
Hurtuso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Great, another Muldoon-era MP who's been in Parliament for thirty years. For bonus lols he was also one of Roger Douglas's right-hand men.

word.

he's got a new carrot in his walk too
Old 11th November 2008, 20:14     #72
chubby

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab

for the record.... muldoon era politicians are a waste of space?
Old 11th November 2008, 20:29     #73
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Not at all, I just think it's going to be hard for Labour to "rebrand" itself as being youthful with fresh ideas if its leader has been part of Parliamentary politics for thirty years.

As far as "ideas" goes, well, Annette King. Say no more.
Old 11th November 2008, 21:17     #74
chubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
As far as "ideas" goes, well, Annette King. Say no more.

fair call, but shane jones would be open to mucho derision if called up this soon.
im looking forward to the next 3 years in NZ politics.
Old 11th November 2008, 23:30     #75
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Cheesy grin

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby
im looking forward....NZ politics.
That's a big fucking call. o.O
Old 12th November 2008, 12:35     #76
Painty

It will probably only be a 1 term Nat government. national has inherited a magnificent hospital pass: Unemployment is being tipped to hit 6% and the deficit is already flagged as a billion or so more. It will take more than one term to fix it without the impact of the overseas meltdown.
Old 12th November 2008, 12:37     #77
Cyberbob

Goff: "maybe the EFA wasn't such a good idea."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/vote08/4758646a28435.html
Old 12th November 2008, 12:41     #78
CCS
Stunt Pants

Shame Labour
Old 12th November 2008, 12:43     #79
BadNova

Now they're in opposition they want to roll it back, shocker
Old 12th November 2008, 12:47     #80
[Malks] Pixie

Ummm no...

All that article says is that they are interested in being involved in the rewriting of the act and that Goff felt it was unwise for it to be passed under urgency (i.e. rammed through). In fact no where in that article does it say that they want to get rid of it, or as say, "maybe the EFA wasn't such a good idea."

Quote:
But Mr Goff said the reasons underlying the Act were still valid.
Pixie

Last edited by [Malks] Pixie : 12th November 2008 at 12:48.