Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 9th April 2020, 00:26     #561
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajax
There is a tipping point though, and it occurs when a multinational agency becomes so corrupted by a single member state that's it's not able to perform its critical functions and exacerbates a crisis rather than helping to mitigate it.
There's nothing compelling to suggest the WHO is any more corrupted by China than the rest of us. We all make concessions for China. Just like we all make concessions for the US and other world powers, so we can get our slice.

The WHO is just a stooge as is convenient.

I think as things get really bad, people will find that unsatisfactory. It will be interesting to see what show the Trumps and other leaders put on when it becomes clear they're in the shit while others have avoided it.
Old 9th April 2020, 00:31     #562
Lightspeed

I suspect the president of Brazil might be the first to lose their position.
Old 9th April 2020, 00:36     #563
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
There's nothing compelling to suggest the WHO is any more corrupted by China than the rest of us.
We're talking specifically about corruption in one multinational agency here, not countries in general. And yes, there's plenty of direct and circumstantial evidence. That is the whole point of this discussion.
Old 9th April 2020, 00:50     #564
Lightspeed

That's your assertion, as I said I don't find the evidence presented compelling. Y'all atwitter about an official dodging a question about Taiwan.

You keep on trying to frame the discussion. You are of course welcome to try.
Old 9th April 2020, 01:05     #565
Ajax
Architeuthis

I don't believe I've mentioned Taiwan? The discussion needs a frame, otherwise it devolves into

I'm referring to the values and behaviour of the world, our focus on the behaviours of others.
Old 9th April 2020, 09:58     #566
Nich

The Coronavirus Encounters of an Average American Nobody
https://www.theburningplatform.com/2...y/#more-215807

and some Zappa wisdom https://youtu.be/ljnT49jU9vM
Quote:
This is the CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER… it is my responsibility to enforce all the laws that haven’t been passed yet. It is also my responsibility to alert each and every one of you to the potential consequences of various ordinary everyday activities you might be performing which could eventually lead to The Death Penalty….

.. Our studies have shown that this horrible force is so dangerous to society at large that laws are being drawn up at this very moment to stop it forever! Cruel and inhuman punishments are being carefully described in tiny paragraphs so they won’t conflict with the Constitution … which, itself, is being modified in order to accommodate THE FUTURE.
Old 9th April 2020, 10:18     #567
Nich

People I know who have been harassed by police:
- Robyn's mum at the cafe (regional Victoria) by a police making sure people are getting take away coffee, then fucking off back home immediately
- My cousin in Auckland driving to her daycare to take out garbage and feed fish. Police said "ok, but I'll remember you!". wtf?
- local elderly couple made a sandwich to eat by the lake. Police drove up and told them to scram.
- A friend in Australian city going for daily walk. Single officer asks what he thinks he is doing. He says not your business. Backup gets called in and now it's several police surrounding him asking for his name and saying he isn't dressed for exercise.
Old 9th April 2020, 10:47     #568
fixed_truth

In the context of trying to stop the spread of a deadly disease you could maybe stretch that out to borderline harassment. It's not like the US where people are stopped & questioned just because they're black.
Old 9th April 2020, 11:02     #569
crocos

Nich, that could be the police doing their actual job.

MIL at Cafe: The cops have been told to confirm & enforce the "no seated customers" piece, so that's... normal.

Cousin / Daycare: So? Police wanting to confirm the trip is a necessary trip - feeding the fish was probably the reason it was acceptable to avoid cruelty to animals

Elderly picnickers: GOOD. Should only be going out for exercise, not for a pleasant lunch.

Idiot friend: This one is on the friend. Even if he was up to something nefarious this could totally have been defused before it became a thing by being polite and just saying he was feeling a bit of cabin fever so is out for a light walk as exercise. The cops are as stressed as - probably more than - your average citizen, and mostly* they're not out looking to cause issues for people, but at the same time it's on them to enforce the isolation rules - checking that the person WAS doing an approved activity is completely within their remit, checking that your mate wasn't wandering over to someone else's place is also legit.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 9th April 2020, 11:50     #570
Native
I... err - F*ck It.

I tend to agree with Crocos, particularly the elements of pressure on the police.

There's several instances (unfortunately not just in NZ) where they are doing their jobs and getting spit on my people who then go 'I've got COVID' and the policeman/woman is then in isolation with their family (impacting their family and the capacity of 1st line support).

I have very little tolerance for people being disrespectful to the police or people pushing the boundaries of the rules.

In Saudi or Dubai, you're getting fines up to $50k USD for breaches, in the Philippines their (nutter) President is saying shoot first, ask questions later.

I get annoyed when some guys get stuffed into a 4 star hotel and complain about 'inhuman' treatment, while the rest of the world goes into the toilet.
Old 9th April 2020, 13:02     #571
Lightspeed

Quote:
I don't believe I've mentioned Taiwan? The discussion needs a frame, otherwise it devolves into

I'm referring to the values and behaviour of the world, our focus on the behaviours of others.
You can keep on embarrassing yourself by pointing out you don't know what values are, what behaviour is if you like. You can continue to demonstrate your lack of capacity for or even understanding of self-reflection.

You just fucking raised what "we're" talking about, but then when I refer to what "we're" talking about, you're all "I". Fucking twat.
Old 9th April 2020, 13:17     #572
Lightspeed

Laugh

Stephen King Is Sorry You Feel Like You're Stuck In A Stephen King Novel

Quote:
In his 1978 novel The Stand, author Stephen King wrote about a viral pandemic that decimated the world's population. And he gets it when fans say experiencing the COVID-19 outbreak feels like stepping into one of his horror stories.

"I keep having people say, 'Gee, it's like we're living in a Stephen King story,' " he says. "And my only response to that is, 'I'm sorry.' "
Old 9th April 2020, 13:28     #573
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
by pointing out you don't know what values are, what behaviour is if you like.
I pointed out what a load of empty rhetoric that was, and it clearly touched a nerve.

Quote:

You just fucking raised what "we're" talking about, but then when I refer to what "we're" talking about, you're all "I". Fucking twat.
This is not constructive. Let's move on.
Old 9th April 2020, 13:55     #574
Lightspeed

Trump clearly demonstrates the pressure the WHO is under. Don't raise the alarm soon enough? Funding cut! Raise the alarm too soon? Funding cut!

As opposed to understanding and developing ways to support the WHO in its mission. Like recognising threatening the organisation's existence during a crisis is only unhelpful.
Old 9th April 2020, 18:46     #575
Lightspeed

CDC removes unusual guidance to doctors about drug favored by Trump

Quote:
Reuters also reported that the original guidance was crafted by the CDC after President Trump personally pressed federal regulatory and health officials to make the malaria drugs more widely available to treat the novel coronavirus, though the drugs in question had been untested for COVID-19.
Old 10th April 2020, 09:15     #576
Cyberbob

Today in CrazyLand:

White House reverses position after blocking health officials from appearing on CNN

Quote:
Vice President Mike Pence's office reversed course on Thursday afternoon, after declining for days to allow the nation's top health officials to appear on CNN and discuss the coronavirus pandemic, in what was an attempt to pressure the network into carrying the White House's lengthy daily briefings in full.
MSNBC Cuts Into Briefing So Doctor Can Refute Trump's "Mystifying" Claim That Zinc Can Treat Covid-19

Quote:
During a Coronavirus Task Force briefing Wednesday evening, Trump said "you should add zinc" to any COVID-19 treatment regiment, suggesting that medical professionals have recommended the mineral supplement.

"I want to throw that out there because that's where they seem to be having the best result," said Trump, who has faced criticism for recklessly touting unproven coronavirus treatments. "So you add the zinc and the azithromycin, and it's been—we've had a lot of good stories."
Where did he get that idea? You might ask.
Alex Jones won't stop suggesting the supplements he sells provide a benefit against the novel coronavirus

Last edited by Cyberbob : 10th April 2020 at 09:19.
Old 10th April 2020, 17:29     #577
Lightspeed

The movie Contagion did a good job. But they missed the bit where it's the president of the US that's shilling forsythia.
Old 10th April 2020, 19:12     #578
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
The movie Contagion did a good job. But they missed the bit where it's the president of the US that's shilling forsythia.
this so much.
Old 11th April 2020, 09:40     #579
ePi

Supermarket lines stretching out to the highway in Highland Park this morning. What are people finding the best times to go food shopping? I went about an hour before close last week and there were no lines, barely anyone in. But this morning at 9:30 the lines were 50+ deep at 3 supermarkets I drove by.
Old 11th April 2020, 10:02     #580
Ajax
Architeuthis

I’ve been shopping at the Newmarket Countdown in the new mall and it’s usually very quiet at any time with minimal queueing. The one in Mt. Eden is always a circus though.
Old 11th April 2020, 11:05     #581
Nich

Bret Weinstein - COVID 19 symptoms look more like altitude sickness than pneumonia. Virus may attack blood's ability to process oxygen. Also, this virus is in the population now and forever, so we best figure out our relationship with it because eradicating it is not an option.
https://youtu.be/uPTiP714LZM

Doctors Puzzle Over COVID-19 Lung Problems
https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/2020...-lung-problems
and an article from Italy
https://www.atsjournals.org/doi/pdf/....202003-0817LE

Basically, ventilators are not the right solution if this virus attacks blood cells.

Diem25 Yanis Varoufakis with Brian Eno
https://youtu.be/J7ei1-rYHMU
This is a flashpoint where we are authoring the future of our civilisation. It is a positive that people are building resilience in their homes and families, but it's a negative that many new measures are being rushed into place for "security reasons", also a reminder that 9/11 rushed many terrible things into place that haven't been undone.
Old 11th April 2020, 11:48     #582
Nich

Authoring the future of civilization: Exhibit A

Apple and Google partner on COVID-19 contact tracing technology
https://www.apple.com/newsroom/2020/...ng-technology/

Quote:
Second, in the coming months, Apple and Google will work to enable a broader Bluetooth-based contact tracing platform by building this functionality into the underlying platforms. This is a more robust solution than an API and would allow more individuals to participate, if they choose to opt in, as well as enable interaction with a broader ecosystem of apps and government health authorities.

of course, NSA already has this kind of technology. But this probably distributes the capability to many more "government health authorities".

Oh well, so long as you haven't done anything wrong (by past, present, and future standards), this shouldn't affect you.
Old 11th April 2020, 15:40     #583
StN
I have detailed files

The young people sheltering in place here got very concerned that the Boomers of the 'hood were gathering to have wines in driveways (with young kids running rampant between bubbles). So they got vocal on the Faceplace group, because the big concern was that one of them was visiting from 2 streets over, claiming "She was just dropping past on the way home from the shop" - (dropping past in a cul de sac...)

So there was a feuding uproar which I ended up walking in on after an evening in the garage, only to find that the kids claimed the moral high ground by quoting the PM, Suzie Wiles etc back at them as the Boomers pulled up Seven Sharp articles on neighbors having drinks.

Strange twist of fate - the woman who bemoaned that we as parents needed to "Educate our kids better" lives in a house that backs on to Burwood Hospital's dementia ward - she should be the first to enforce Social Distancing now that a second resident has passed from there.
Old 11th April 2020, 17:49     #584
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ePi
Supermarket lines stretching out to the highway in Highland Park this morning. What are people finding the best times to go food shopping? I went about an hour before close last week and there were no lines, barely anyone in. But this morning at 9:30 the lines were 50+ deep at 3 supermarkets I drove by.
I had been going to that one at night, 7pm. No queues. Still had most things, but I went today at 1pm Coz I wanted to make sure they had bread for the kids.
Queue out the door but not really bad. Moved really quick. No way I'm going to Pakn save with the ridiculous queues.

But if you can do without flour and limited choice of bread, an hour before closing is best
Old 11th April 2020, 18:41     #585
ePi

Quote:
I’ve been shopping at the Newmarket Countdown in the new mall and it’s usually very quiet at any time with minimal queueing. The one in Mt. Eden is always a circus though.
Did a few drivebys today, looks like it gets quieter as the day goes on.
Old 11th April 2020, 18:49     #586
ePi

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
I had been going to that one at night, 7pm. No queues. Still had most things, but I went today at 1pm Coz I wanted to make sure they had bread for the kids.
Queue out the door but not really bad. Moved really quick. No way I'm going to Pakn save with the ridiculous queues.

But if you can do without flour and limited choice of bread, an hour before closing is best
We have enough flour - tapioca / chickpea / coconut / almond etc and can keep the baking to small batches for now. But you are right, I was there around 2pm and the line was half the size as the morning and moving fairly quickly and when I left the line only reached the door. Late at night is best though, I agree.
Old 11th April 2020, 19:27     #587
Trigga*happY

Bidfood was good, 3 day wait and delivered to door. Got everything we wanted, including 20kg of flour!
Old 11th April 2020, 22:35     #588
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigga*happY
Bidfood was good, 3 day wait and delivered to door. Got everything we wanted, including 20kg of flour!
I made a homemade pizza base the other day, with a bag of flour (unopened) with a "Best Before" of 2017, mixed with new yoghurt. Checked for weevils, negative, went right ahead. It was great. All these home bakers claiming the "flour shortage" would lead to wastage. Clearly they are the wasters if they accept best before dates as fact.

I'd love some real deal Indian.
Old 12th April 2020, 00:52     #589
Trigga*happY

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
I made a homemade pizza base the other day, with a bag of flour (unopened) with a "Best Before" of 2017, mixed with new yoghurt. Checked for weevils, negative, went right ahead. It was great. All these home bakers claiming the "flour shortage" would lead to wastage. Clearly they are the wasters if they accept best before dates as fact.

3 Teenagers, 1 6 year old and Moana and I... 20KG won't make it's best before date lol!

OMG yes...real indian! Imma go get me some recipes for tomorrow
Old 12th April 2020, 17:55     #590
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus

*pats a 40kg bag of flour*
Old 12th April 2020, 19:16     #591
crocos

LOL, I don't usually even eat a loaf of bread before it's stale, a 1kg bag of flour probably lasts me 2-3 months.

I used to bake a lot more, but haven't gotten into it again since jumping the ditch.

Old 12th April 2020, 20:12     #592
Lightspeed

Quote:
What does macroeconomics have to do with anything.
'Your money or your life' - RNZ

Quote:
The lockdown designed to save lives has also damaged livelihoods by slowing the economy to a crawl. Some pundits and politicians are now warning in the media that health can’t always be the top priority - and it could undermine the official ‘Unite to Fight Covid-19’ message.
Old 12th April 2020, 21:15     #593
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
LOL, I don't usually even eat a loaf of bread before it's stale, a 1kg bag of flour probably lasts me 2-3 months.

I used to bake a lot more, but haven't gotten into it again since jumping the ditch.
where in straya are you based, cunt?
Old 12th April 2020, 22:14     #594
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
where in straya are you based, cunt?
Melbs, ya wankah!

Old 13th April 2020, 00:18     #595
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
The discussion was around political corruption and patronage in the WHO. Economic impact etc is a different conversation.
Old 13th April 2020, 01:09     #596
Lightspeed

Whatever you were talking about, economics is central to what I'm talking about.
Old 13th April 2020, 08:10     #597
Ajax
Architeuthis

What point about economics are you trying to make, dude. You didn't add any insights of your own to that link.
Old 13th April 2020, 16:09     #598
Lightspeed

Dude, I don't really know how to help you. Every second fucking report or discussion about the pandemic involves the economy. And you're all "what's the macroeconomics got to do with anything".

I'm stumped. I don't know what you're not getting.

What do you think the author's point of the article I linked is?

Last edited by Lightspeed : 13th April 2020 at 16:11.
Old 13th April 2020, 16:17     #599
Lightspeed

What the fuck is with the UK only reporting ncov deaths that occur in hospital?

But hey, it's China whose figures we can't trust, amirite?
Old 13th April 2020, 16:22     #600
Lightspeed

Ooh, just heard something on the news that tickled me. So the UK government has been all "I'm sorry if NHS staff feel like we've inadequately supplied them" (or words to that effect). You know, that classic non-apology.

Just heard a NHS nurse say "I'm sorry if ministers feel they have supplied adequate PPE to NHS staff, but that's simply not the case."