NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > Games and Mods > Console Forum
User Name
Password

Old 7th June 2008, 14:54     #1
fobski

Battlefield: Bad Company

As somewhat as a BF Vet i downloaded this simply to fill in time before drinking tonight.

i expected it to bethe same as bf2 cept on PS3/Xbox withthe same glitchy graphics and other random shit.

BUT NO!

I was wrong !

The game is fun, the destructible buildings are cool.

Once you get somewhat used to the console controls 9still aint got shit on a keyboard and mouse) you can have fun in vehicles or grunting it up.

bunnyhopping is still there though you can go prone jump high prone and dolphin dive.

It is fun !

I will be buying it when it comes out for PC.
Old 7th June 2008, 16:38     #2
Anthony.S

Yeah it's a bit of fun, first BF for me that I don't have to troubleshoot for half a day before I play it.

Don't mind FPS games on consoles, much of a muchness to me now.
Old 7th June 2008, 17:19     #3
junbeck

Tried this out this afternoon and could see this being fun, but the lag is something chronic. Stuff jerking round the screen like crazy, being on an american server and the lack of ingame browser is madness. How the hell do you play on a local server these days????
Old 7th June 2008, 23:50     #4
Anthony.S

Not sure how they're handling hosts, don't seem to be able to do it yourself or choose who you're going to (or even your ping).

For some reason unranked games seem to give me the better connection, but loosing the extras sucks a bit.
Old 8th June 2008, 12:54     #5
Redneck

Lag did suck a bit but not enough to hurt my enjoyment, this game is a blast! Definitely my first actual purchase for the 360.

I hate that you can't go prone and the tanks don't have coaxial machineguns but other than that its minty fresh awesome
Old 8th June 2008, 18:32     #6
lambchop

COD4 certainly looks better ..but yeah fun sandpit type gameplay.

might rent it
Old 8th June 2008, 21:07     #7
animotor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fobski
I will be buying it when it comes out for PC.
There is a PC version?
Old 9th June 2008, 11:29     #8
ZoSo

WTB GTA controller setup.
Old 9th June 2008, 23:21     #9
Wally Simmonds

Yeah, I quite liked this - dunno how long it will last though. Wasn't really impressed with it graphically (looked like a toned down version of bf2 to me =/)

Still, I'll probably grab it if there's a decent community. Wasn't laggy for me.
Old 9th June 2008, 23:22     #10
Redneck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Simmonds
Wasn't really impressed with it graphically (looked like a toned down version of bf2 to me
nice framerate though eh
Old 10th June 2008, 00:18     #11
mpx

I had a play of it, I couldn't really get into it

The destructible walls are kinda weird, I blasted into a house expecting to run straight through but the hole was about a metre where I shot it! If this has bf1942 style sea warfare with destroyers and whatnot, not just shitty rafts then I'll give it a serious shot if the community is there, if not then I'll probably not bother.

All I wanted is a big ocean back in my battlefields, with destroyers and AA guns and stuffs
Old 10th June 2008, 01:50     #12
Dazza

Aren't there servers in Oz or here? I was just playing on the PS3, it was smooth as. At least a good as I am use to on the PC to local servers. Quite a few ppl playing too, was around 14 on the server I was on.

Wonder how long the demo will work for multiplayer. I'd be quite happy just playing that for a while. Don't have to time to put into the full fledged game, not with MGS4 around the corner.
Old 12th June 2008, 14:04     #13
QWERTY?

yeh I just gave it a blat online tonnes of players (but i am in canada)

seriously hauls, was easy to get into, no bullshit, abit spammy, but meh

seriously considering getting this
Old 19th June 2008, 12:39     #14
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

been playing this demo lots for the last few days. Really impressed by the sound, fucking sweet on a 5.1 with a nice sub. I like the destructible buildings, sounded like a gimmick at first, but its funny as hell when infantry try and hide in the corner and you can see their name, so you just blow the wall away leaving them exposed and frightened Vehicles in this game are awesome, more fun than any of the PC battlefields I've played. Standing behind a tank as its firing is like being in a fuckin michael bay movie (in a good way). Gold rush gameplay mode is heaps better than conquest too. Concentrates the action so no more lame back gaps. Map design is very cool also. THe one included in the demo flows nicely between open and close combat. Had a really intense game last night which went for ages. My team was attacking, we lost but we got them down to the last 2 flags. We almost lost several times when we nearly ran out of reinforcements, but good tanking ensured we kept going

The only annoying thing is the lag. I'm fairly sure this will be better by full version, so I'm gonna buy it. If it's still shit I'll probably return the game, but I think the game is good enough to take the plunge. Hope all the battlefield nigs on here do the same thing! about time consoles got battlefield - now I definitely don't need to go back to PC
Old 19th June 2008, 13:06     #15
QWERTY?

on the lag, i haven't had any yet (though im in canada) its probably because you're playing on aussie servers

i havent played gold-rush mode? or is that the only mp mode in the demo, if so yeh its cool but its needs alot of tweaking so the defenders can actually friggen win
Old 19th June 2008, 13:13     #16
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

I don't think there are any aussie servers ay. I think they are all American, and some euro. I read somewhere that at the moment servers are not being sorted by ping, so you just get placed in one randomly. I think I'm getting put in central or east coast US servers which are 250ms+ ping normally. You are lucky to be in canada bro :P

Gold rush is the mode in the demo, I heard people complaining about defending being too hard but personally out of the games ive played (and I've played A LOT over the last few days), its about 50-50. If you get an unbalanced team though, with lots of noobs, and the other team is good, it can be pretty one sided. If you are defending, go AT, you can shotgun them when they are trying to plant, and AT their vehicles. I find that works pretty well. I also find if you start chatting with ure squad they are more likely to help you out, which makes your defense much more effective...
Old 19th June 2008, 16:33     #17
Gentl e

Hmm, I'm in Ak central and haven't had any lag at all.

Being a defender does feel a little overwelming but still really enjoyable, you just have to remember not to move forward too much. When the defenders lose its normally because they're getting ahead of themselves instead of adopting a *gasp* camping mode [edit] ie. wait for the attackers to come to you instead of engaging them away from your bases.

my 2c

Last edited by Gentl e : 19th June 2008 at 16:34.
Old 20th June 2008, 05:07     #18
QWERTY?

I just havent played a game yet where the defenders have won it seems impossible to bring the score down so you can win with the defenders, but possibly thats a server issue
Old 20th June 2008, 09:45     #19
Fx.

thats because they have you on the team q
Old 20th June 2008, 10:32     #20
Gentl e

badoom doom ch!
Old 27th June 2008, 14:38     #21
Gentl e

So.. what's the full version like everyone?
Old 27th June 2008, 14:51     #22
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

pretty cool. if you liked the demo multiplayer you'll like this. the new maps ive played are just as good as oasis. although im getting my ass kicked since i dont know the good spots yet man the sound on this game is beautiful. even better than COD4! havent touched singleplayer yet, multiplayer is too addictive!

ps: you can get it from dick smith for 109 and save yourself a tenner
Old 29th June 2008, 17:51     #23
Redneck

it's just classic BF - confusing, sometimes awe-inspiring, everything exploding all the time.

Single player is hurt by the unlimited spawn thing... it is a fun campaign while it lasts though with some very impressive sights, especially the golden Hind sequence.

Multiplayer is a whole lot of fire and smoke and going deaf all the time. It's better than anything in my books
Old 29th June 2008, 18:23     #24
Gentl e

What's the vehicle variety like?
Old 29th June 2008, 18:37     #25
Redneck

not bad... fewer than you'd find in a PC battlefield though

I heartily recommend a purchase
Old 29th June 2008, 21:30     #26
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

vehicles are really cool. the tanks feel like tanks. when you shoot the main gun, you feel like REAL MAN. the attention to detail is great. there is lights on the trucks and a small shockwave when you fire the main guns. this game is made to be played with 5.1 dolby and a big sub. the boats are great too. they have mortars on the back which do major damage. none of the vehicles feel unbalanced either, so there is never any fighting over the vehicles.

im probably most impressed by the maps. they are much, much better than bf2 or what i played of 2142. i even think they are better than cod4

redneck what is your gamer tag bro? im still sussing out the squad thing, doesn't seem to work properly all the time for me. if i join someone else's game sometimes i will be put on the other team (probably for team balancing reasons). do you have to invite people before you join a server do you know?
Old 29th June 2008, 21:43     #27
Redneck

nzRedneck

yeah I love how the choppers will go unused cos so few can keep them airborne hehe
Old 29th June 2008, 21:50     #28
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

yeah I haven't even tried flying one. too embarrassing because I know I will crash it
Old 29th June 2008, 22:14     #29
Wally Simmonds

How are you guys finding this next to BF2?
Old 29th June 2008, 23:50     #30
Sgt Seb
Up Unt At Dem!

I havent played bf2 for a long time now but from memory, BC takes all the good bits of bf2 and improves upon them, and gets rid of all the bad bits (OP jets). the graphics engine is far superior - there is heaps more cover and the environmental effects are awesome.there is one map which the attacking team initially has to run across this HUGE field, which has beautiful attention to detail, textures and realistic looking trees. it just looks fantastic. in terms of environmental effects, if an area gets pounded particularly hard it gets covered in this dusty yellow haze/fog. when you happen to be in the middle of this fog, along with enemy players, it is complete chaos the sound is way better than bf2 as i described above. i used to hate bf2 when a a bomb dropped right on my head, the volume would spike really loud and hurt my ears. in BC the sound is very well balanced (although to be fair i didnt have 5.1 on my old pc). i also used to dislike the framerate drops when playing on a 64 player server. when the action got intense it was pretty laggy. the good thing about BC is that the framerate is solid. probably about 45fps at peak but it very rarely drops below 30. i am extremely finicky about framerate so i was happy that DICE delivered on performance.

my favourite part of bf2 was the squad system, when you get some mad squad vs squad firefights going. when bf2 first came out, this was pretty common but as the game aged i noticed this happened less frequently. one of the most annoying things about bf2 was that squads would constantly do back caps which kept the action diluted rather than concentrated. in BC because the gameplay is more concentrated and objective focused, almost the whole game is squad vs squad fire fights. when you get a particularly good squad they can roll the whole opposing team because one guy will just sit in a safe area like a house, and keep himself healed while his squad mates spawn on him. this is annoying until you get your own squad working together and then its bloody intense, especially when you add a few vehicles in for good measure what i love about game franchises is that they iron out all the little gameplay kinks and flaws with every iteration. having played every BF game i can pretty much say this game is easily the best of the battlefield franchise!
Old 30th June 2008, 01:45     #31
QWERTY?

lies! 42 is still the best, I might go buy this this weekend though solely for MP
Old 30th June 2008, 23:33     #32
Wally Simmonds

Cool, I might give it a bit more of a chance. The demo didn't really grab me that much (felt like a dumbed down version of BF2 to me) but guess I need to play it a bit more.
Old 1st July 2008, 17:14     #33
Gentl e

Bought it and now just have wait for it to be delivered...

Anyone on PSN that would be keen to squad (my nick is gmnz)?
Old 7th July 2008, 11:20     #34
QWERTY?

omfg this is totally awesome online

bought it yesterday and been playing today, got hammered for the first hour while i messed around with the sensitivity and got used to the controls.

the only thing that bothers me is the run button (L3) is a pain to hold down online you badly need to be able to sprint or you are dead moving between buildings

still no lag, once you get a squad going its mean as
Old 7th July 2008, 21:30     #35
Gentl e

Is anyone else not seeing their ranking / unlocked weapons in game tonight
Old 7th July 2008, 21:47     #36
Gentl e

TB whats happening?
Old 7th July 2008, 23:30     #37
Redneck

Same thing on 360 - stats wiped, unlocks disabled.

no answers yet... please fix it EA. please
Old 8th July 2008, 14:24     #38
Gentl e

Appears to be back up, but no stats awarded for the last 24hrs it would seem
Old 8th July 2008, 19:49     #39
Redneck

ah well i did pretty badly last night so no great loss heh
Old 8th July 2008, 21:19     #40
Gentl e

Put it this way, you could've done a lot worse if we were on the same systems *slap*