Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 22nd July 2015, 16:54     #161
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Who the fuck else would hold the majority of the opposition seats? Of course it's Labour. It always is.
What? I'm talking about the opposition holding the majority of ALL the seats. Like the poll we're talking about.
Old 22nd July 2015, 16:59     #162
CCS
Stunt Pants

What the fuck? Are you and I looking at the same poll?
Old 22nd July 2015, 17:55     #163
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
I disagree. I think that the results of political polls can sometimes influence voter behaviour eg bandwagon effect.
You think the results of a poll in July 2015 are going to influence voter behaviour in October 2017?
Old 22nd July 2015, 18:23     #164
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
What? I'm talking about the opposition holding the majority of ALL the seats. Like the poll we're talking about.

wut
Old 22nd July 2015, 18:47     #165
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
What the fuck? Are you and I looking at the same poll?
Labour 39 + Greens 16 + NZF 8 = 63
National 57 + ACT 1 + UF 1 + Maori 1 = 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
You think the results of a poll in July 2015 are going to influence voter behaviour in October 2017?
I don't know how this poll was reported. But yeah, a poll in July 2015 could end up influencing voter behaviour in a positive feedback sense.
Old 22nd July 2015, 18:58     #166
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
You're including NZF? Aww cute.

Quote:
I don't know how this poll was reported. But yeah, a poll in July 2015 could end up influencing voter behaviour in a positive feedback sense.
wat
Old 22nd July 2015, 19:20     #167
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Ah, I see the problem. You are using "Opposition" to mean "not the Government", which is not the case. The Labour Party is the Official Opposition, as it is the largest individual party not in government. There is no agreement between Labour, the Greens, and Winston First to act together thus they do not collectively oppose the Government. Technically the Greens and Winston First MPs "sit on the cross benches".

It is for this reason that no Greens or Winston First MP can be an Opposition Spokesperson on anything. Because they're not part of the Opposition.
Old 22nd July 2015, 19:34     #168
fixed_truth

Ah I did wonder that but my google fu only came up with NZF and Green as being opposition parties. parliament.nz has Greens as in opposition but doesn't state NZF. Wiki has them all as opposition (with no link lol) and heaps of media articles with them all.

Got link?
Old 22nd July 2015, 19:35     #169
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
wat
Something too complicated for you I'm afraid. It for one requires the capacity to think in something other than absolutes. :/
Old 22nd July 2015, 19:39     #170
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Ah I did wonder that but my google fu only came up with NZF and Green as being opposition parties. parliament.nz has Greens as in opposition but doesn't state NZF. Wiki has them all as opposition (with no link lol) and heaps of media articles with them all.

Got link?
How Parliament Works

http://www.parliament.nz/en-nz/about...and-government
Old 22nd July 2015, 19:42     #171
Lightspeed

It seems overly semantic to focus on the official Opposition.
Old 22nd July 2015, 19:48     #172
CCS
Stunt Pants

This guy!

Sure sure, just redefine the meaning of Opposition to suit yourself. It's one of them fluid concepts, right? Fluid as long as it's in your favour, right?
Old 22nd July 2015, 19:51     #173
fixed_truth

http://www.parliament.nz/en-nz/mpp/parties

Quote:
The Green Party of Aotearoa / New Zealand (Green Party) is an opposition party.
And sit on the cross benches?
Old 22nd July 2015, 19:54     #174
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
This guy!

Sure sure, just redefine the meaning of Opposition to suit yourself. It's one of them fluid concepts, right? Fluid as long as it's in your favour, right?
Yeah, of course, you're right. It's just me making up stuff. You'll never find the term "Opposition parties" in the NZ news media.

Old 22nd July 2015, 20:24     #175
CCS
Stunt Pants

Yeah. The NZ news media. Those respectable journals that embody accuracy and impartiality. The same news media that you're always whining about.
Old 22nd July 2015, 21:36     #176
Lightspeed

Laugh

Uh-huh. So am I redefining the term, or is the colloquial usage I'm familiar with actually more common?

Hahaha, you fucking idiot.
Old 22nd July 2015, 23:00     #177
CCS
Stunt Pants

Old 23rd July 2015, 02:39     #178
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
It's so much fun making light of serious issues that don't affect you, isn't it!

You're lucky this isn't happening in Aus!

Oh
, wait.

Too bad you don't own property, eh?
http://news.domain.com.au/domain/rea...22-giidt8.html

http://news.domain.com.au/domain/rea...22-gihvty.html
Old 23rd July 2015, 22:09     #179
crocos

White Man Behind A Desk bringing truth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUS01oryMLY

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 23rd July 2015, 22:49     #180
fixed_truth

^The man.

Exclusive: TPP will prevent ban on foreign ownership

Labours TPP bottom lines
Quote:
- Pharmac being protected.
- That Corporations cannot successfully sue the Government for regulating in the public interest.
- New Zealand maintains the right to restrict sales of farm land and housing to non-resident foreigners.
- That the Treaty of Waitangi is upheld.
- And that there are meaningful gains for farmers in Tariff reductions and market access.
Old 24th July 2015, 06:34     #181
pxpx

Fair enough bottom lines too I reckon. Hope National listen.
Old 10th May 2016, 16:26     #182
Juju
get to da choppa

276 of property transfers in Auckland this year were to Chinese tax registered.

....Out of 12,000.

That should shut the xeno's up.

sizzles: http://www.linz.govt.nz/system/files...16_jan-mar.pdf
Old 10th May 2016, 20:14     #183
fixed_truth

Liam Dann: Foreign buyer statistics don't solve debate

Quote:
But based on the extent of the sales drop we've seen in the Auckland market over the past six months it was reasonable to assume the number of foreign buyers could have been as much as three times as large prior to the new IRD disclosure rules introduced in October, Dickens said.

He believes the slump in sales can be attributed largely to the new rules.Opposition politicians have been quick to pick holes in the data pointing out that it doesn't include trusts or business buyers.

Even the Minister of Land Information Louise Upton has admitted the data is "not ideal" and shouldn't be viewed as foreign buyers register.

So is it conclusive? No.

But these numbers are a start and regardless of flaws and loopholes they provide a baseline that will eventually enable us to measure the trend in this area.
Old 11th May 2016, 16:47     #184
Heyzoos
Robosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
White Man Behind A Desk bringing truth.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUS01oryMLY
BUBLOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eugene Fama
The word "bubble" drives me nuts, frankly, because I don't think there's anything in the statistical evidence that says anybody can reliably predict when prices go down. So if you interpret the word "bubble" to mean I can predict when prices are going to go down, you can't do it. ...
http://www.npr.org/sections/money/20...-nobel-edition
Old 11th May 2016, 16:49     #185
Heyzoos
Robosexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
276 of property transfers in Auckland this year were to Chinese tax registered.

....Out of 12,000.

That should shut the xeno's up.
The only thing that would shut them up is if it were 0 out 12,000 and then only if you punched them really hard in the cunt.
Old 9th June 2016, 18:12     #186
fixed_truth

Racist banks?

Westpac, ANZ Bank shut out foreign buyers

Quote:
The majority of non-resident, overseas-based buyers would take out New Zealand bank loans for purchases here, unless they paid cash, Mr Patten said.

"Most banks around the world won't take security in a country other than their own...it is going to cut any overseas purchases out. They are either going to have to pay cash or have somebody in New Zealand purchase for them."
Old 9th June 2016, 19:06     #187
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Racist banks?
Is that what you think or are you just being sarcastic?
Old 9th June 2016, 19:08     #188
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Nonresident is now a race?
Old 9th June 2016, 19:41     #189
fixed_truth

Iirc when Labour proposed to "ban all foreign non-residents except Australians from buying existing houses", it was apparently racist.
Old 9th June 2016, 20:17     #190
CCS
Stunt Pants

It was racist. That's because they picked out a bunch of names that sounded Chinese.
Old 9th June 2016, 21:02     #191
fixed_truth

The proposed ban on foreigners buying houses was in mid-2013 under Shearer. The racist picking out a bunch of names that sounded Chinese fuckup was last year.
Old 9th June 2016, 21:39     #192
Lightspeed

Hook line and sinker, well done f_t. Winston couldn't have done it better.
Old 9th June 2016, 22:18     #193
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
The proposed ban on foreigners buying houses was in mid-2013 under Shearer. The racist picking out a bunch of names that sounded Chinese fuckup was last year.
That makes the banks racist ?
Old 9th June 2016, 22:32     #194
Lightspeed

Laugh

Maybe ask Ab.
Old 10th June 2016, 07:35     #195
fixed_truth

Other banks are expected to follow suit and so I'm interested in what it all means. On their own initiative it looks like they're turning away a shit load of money. That can't say good things about the state of the Auckland housing market. Maybe the heralds coverage is more than just click-bait:
Nation of Debt: Ready, set, crash - could New Zealand be next to fall?
Old 10th June 2016, 09:22     #196
blynk

I would be interested to see what sort of numbers they are talking about.

My impression it is a very very small part of their business, and based on the rules, it probably cost them the most having to hold more provisioning for them.
Old 10th June 2016, 11:21     #197
fixed_truth

True. So this won't make much difference if most transactions are cash.
Old 10th June 2016, 12:47     #198
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Banks do things that make them money. The banks love the Auckland property bubble because people are borrowing lots of money to be part of the boom, which means more money for the banks. Conversely banks try to avoid things that cost them money, and this line stands out in the linked article:

Quote:
A Westpac spokeswoman said the restrictions would reduce risk.
So... I'm guessing the banks are getting stung by overseas borrowers taking out loans and then defaulting?
Old 10th June 2016, 13:09     #199
blynk

Of course there is risk.
A person that doesn't live here and doesn't have income from NZ will be riskier. They may not default at a higher rate, but if they do they can harder to track down.
Old 10th June 2016, 15:14     #200
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Presumably the banks are preparing for a day when the Auckland property bubble pops, and when that day comes they want their borrowers to all be physically in NZ.