NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

View Poll Results: Which electoral system gets your vote?
Mixed-Member Proportional (MMP) 22 45.83%
Single Transferable Vote (STV) 16 33.33%
Supplementary Member (SM) 4 8.33%
Preferential Voting (PV) 1 2.08%
First Past the Post (FPP) 1 2.08%
I don't know what all this shit means 4 8.33%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 26th November 2011, 15:27     #81
cEvin
Love In Vein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Agreed. And the only way YOU get to have input into those changes is if you vote AGAINST its current implementation. If you vote in support of MMP today any changes made to it will be made by politicians to suit their own ends, with no requirement to consult the public.
Not really totally true is it? you're putting an evil spin on it.

What would the independent review of MMP include?
From the Ministry of Justice website:

The legislation provides that the Electoral Commission must review:
The 5 per cent party vote threshold for a party to be eligible for allocation of list seats.
The one electorate seat threshold for a party to be eligible for allocation of list seats.
The effects of population change on the ratio of electorate seats to list seats.
The effect of a party's candidates winning more seats than the party would be entitled to as a result of the party vote on the ratio of electorate seats to list seats.
The capacity of a person to be both a constituency candidate and list candidate.
A party's ability to determine the order of candidates on its party list and the inability of voters to rank list candidates in order of preference.
The Electoral Commission must also consider matters referred to it by the Minister of Justice or the House of Representatives, and may consider other matters.

The Commission must not review Maori representation or the number of members of Parliament.
Old 27th November 2011, 00:10     #82
Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZHerald
Of the other voting systems, 31.84 per cent would like FPP if MMP is ditched, 14.51 per cent want SM, 11.28 per cent want STV, and 8.24 PV.
I cannot for the life of me understand why so many would vote for FPP? Are they all just clueless about what the options actually mean?
Old 27th November 2011, 00:25     #83
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Saw this on the 3 stream and grabbed a cap:

Old 27th November 2011, 07:41     #84
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus
I cannot for the life of me understand why so many would vote for FPP?
To get so far as to tick the second box indicates an IQ over 80, and at least three years' of schooling.

To then tick FPP reveals further a person who is sick of pandering to the king-making minor parties, but at the same time is naive enough to believe there is a chance of FPP coming back. So, the cap on the IQ will be something like 105.

If you like - just a middle of the road supporter of labour or National.
Old 27th November 2011, 08:33     #85
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus
I cannot for the life of me understand why so many would vote for FPP? Are they all just clueless about what the options actually mean?
Apparently a lot of people voting to keep MMP didn't bother to tick a second option and so this effected the results. Me, I ticked FPP because in the event that voters wanted a change, FPP (unlike STV) wouldn't stand a chance against MMP.

Quote:
If more than half the voters opt to change the voting system, Parliament will decide if there will be another Referendum in 2014 to choose between MMP and the alternative voting system that gets the most support in the second question in the 2011 Referendum.
Old 15th December 2011, 14:51     #86
fixed_truth

Some interesting points concerning MPs who are defeated in their electorate but get in via the party list. http://norightturn.blogspot.com/2011...candidacy.html

Quote:
The feeling here is that these MPs have been "given the boot" by their electorates, and so it is unfair in some way that they return "by the back door" . . . People might also want to remember that there are different scales of loss. Was Paula Bennett, who lost by 11 votes, "given the boot" by the people of Waitakere? Was Brendon Burns, who fell 47 votes short, "kicked out" by the voters of Christchurch Central? In a tight electorate contest, there doesn't seem much of a mandate for preventing someone from taking up a list seat).
Old 16th December 2011, 20:14     #87
BoyWonder

Turns out Paula Bennett wasn't "given the boot" after all.
Old 16th December 2011, 21:46     #88
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyWonder
Turns out Paula Bennett wasn't "given the boot" after all.
An (unlikely) scenario: http://publicaddress.net/legalbeagle...tain-scenario/
Quote:
What happens?

Well, the Court certifies that Carmel Sepuloni won. Carmel Sepuloni is sworn in as a member of Parliament, and Paula Bennett ceases to be the member for Waitakere. And ceases to be an MP.
lol