NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 16th June 2021, 15:17     #841
blynk

But I am white, male & "old". I shouldn't have to change. Its not fair.
Old 16th June 2021, 16:00     #842
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

To win, all the Left has to do is wait for those on the Right to get old and die. To win, all the Right has to do is sit back and watch those on the Left kill each other.
Old 16th June 2021, 16:32     #843
Lightspeed

The conservatism of the right is far from the lofty ideals of resisting change for the sake of change. It's not even resisting change for any reason. The contemporary right wants to go backwards. That's what it works towards.

The progress of the left is far from progress for the sake of progress. It's progress for the sake of we're facing catastrophe if we don't sort our shit out.

The weird and clunky progress we see on the street is merely the fringe of the work that's ongoing much deeper in the institutions that afford our lifestyles.

The right is the one eating itself alive. The left has learnt how to shed its skin.

Although, I still think it's a gross generalisation. There are still many genuine actors on the "right" working for traditional conservative values and many on the "left" looking to upset the status quo just for the sake of their turn at the front.
Old 17th June 2021, 02:46     #844
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Lin-Manuel Miranda forced to apologise for his white supremacist racism

https://www.theguardian.com/stage/20...ersity-apology
Old 19th June 2021, 11:51     #845
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

If you care about sperm counts, you’re a white supremacist

https://slate.com/technology/2021/05...tionalism.html
Old 1st July 2021, 11:08     #846
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:

A week after excitedly announcing Chaplin: The Musical as its spring show, the University of Canterbury Musical Theatre Society (MUSOC) cancelled the planned performance after concerns were raised about his scandalous past.

"Members of the club have raised concerns about the selected 2021 spring show Chaplin: The Musical, with regards to the predatory and inappropriate conduct of Charlie Chaplin during his life and career," it said.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/univer...XZ5IY6KLMTPMQ/
Old 1st July 2021, 11:20     #847
Lightspeed

When we overtly and exaggeratedly act out one set of behaviour, while covertly wishing for or engaging in the opposite, we might call that a reaction formation.

It makes sense that as we grow in awareness of both our "inappropriate conduct" as a society and our inability to change that conduct, we'll see more extreme examples as we struggle to reconcile who we imagine we are with who we really are.
Old 1st July 2021, 11:33     #848
xor

What a tolerant society we live in.
Old 1st July 2021, 11:37     #849
Lightspeed

Yes, it's a lot more tolerant.
Old 1st July 2021, 11:39     #850
fixed_truth

A lot more tolerant. Not so much of creepy behavior (except by conservative apologists). Progress is good.

Last edited by fixed_truth : 1st July 2021 at 11:40.
Old 1st July 2021, 11:39     #851
xor

We must stop the radio stations from playing Michael Jackson as well.
Old 1st July 2021, 11:41     #852
fixed_truth

Pretty sure that's already a thing.
Old 1st July 2021, 11:45     #853
xor

We need to stop his music from being on Spotify. This is unacceptable and intolerant of all victims.
Old 1st July 2021, 11:47     #854
Lightspeed

Yeah, that's a thing. I'll keep on listening tho. It's good music and I'm not afraid of my dark side. No more or less kids will be fucked either way.
Old 1st July 2021, 11:54     #855
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
We need to stop his music from being on Spotify. This is unacceptable and intolerant of all victims.
Somewhere inside of you is a place. Whatever lands there must immediately be tilted to an extreme as this part of you that finds balance utterly intolerable. Before you've had conscious opportunity to evaluate whatever finds this place, you've already tilted it to an extreme, at which point it's available to your conscious mind to consider.

That's what I observe at least.

It's fascinating to me. Perhaps because it helps me see such places within myself, in my pursuit for ever enhanced agency.
Old 2nd July 2021, 15:13     #856
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Yeah, that's a thing. I'll keep on listening tho. It's good music and I'm not afraid of my dark side.
So much internalised racism here
Old 2nd July 2021, 15:16     #857
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Activists: self-identification is a human right and if you oppose self-identification you are evil

White English dude: I identify as Korean

Activists: no not like that

https://theconversation.com/no-you-c...-gender-163729
Old 2nd July 2021, 15:17     #858
Lightspeed

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
So much internalised racism here
That's black.
Old 7th July 2021, 16:08     #859
fixed_truth

A couple examples this week a people getting a privilege check. When will they learn?

Rugby columnist Sam Casey's sports radio station contract terminated after controversy

Army chief to meet with staff upset over anti-diversity essay
Old 18th July 2021, 14:16     #860
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

These people are fucking insane

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/new-z...men-event.html
Old 18th July 2021, 14:33     #861
Lightspeed

You don't get all this rape in your community and have everyone come out straight and proper.
Old 18th July 2021, 17:58     #862
fixed_truth

I reckon that this is one of those wrong side of history things. Considering gender in woman categorization harms no one & denying the gender side of things harms a lot of people.
Old 18th July 2021, 18:17     #863
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I agree declaring martial law to prevent a meeting of citizens who want to discuss the adequacy of current law is entirely reasonable
Old 18th July 2021, 18:26     #864
fixed_truth

Quote:
The peaceful protest will not stop anyone entering the building to attend the event but aims to show solidarity and support for trans people in Aotearoa.
PC gone mad.
Old 18th July 2021, 18:57     #865
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I agree declaring martial law to prevent a meeting of citizens who want to discuss the adequacy of current law is entirely reasonable
And you think that's the space they're occupying? That's what compels these people to expression? All people involved, inside and outside the building.
Old 18th July 2021, 19:41     #866
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
PC gone mad.
Quote:
The Trans and Non-Binary Dignity Collective NZ have urged Mayor Foster to declare a state of emergency to protect Wellington against the event, saying it classifies as an emergency for their community.
QED
Old 18th July 2021, 19:55     #867
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
And you think that's the space they're occupying? That's what compels these people to expression? All people involved, inside and outside the building.
As per the thread in the Politics forum, I think it all comes down to tribalism these days. You have to say and do the things that you need to do to look good for your peer group.

When it comes to transgender activism confrontations, the collision I really fear is two groups driven insane by social media: "trans women are women and can not be excluded from female-only spaces" on one side and Qanon "protect children from the vampires" on the other.
Old 18th July 2021, 20:24     #868
Lightspeed

Do you wonder why these tribes?

Tribalism is always in play. Is there space to wonder why it's playing out this way, now? Or it's largely arbitrary? The meme of the week? It could be, right?
Old 18th July 2021, 20:27     #869
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

We've always been tribal, but we've never had algorithmically-driven social media before. That plus COVID stress has driven people crazy. Being crazy and part of a group of other crazies is better than being alone.
Old 19th July 2021, 11:08     #870
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Considering gender in woman categorization harms no one & denying the gender side of things harms a lot of people.
With all due respect, this is quite obviously nonsense.
Old 19th July 2021, 11:22     #871
fixed_truth

In what ways do you think that trans-inclusive laws negativity effect ciswomen?
Old 19th July 2021, 11:26     #872
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

“Harms no one”

On a train at the mo fumbling with phone, so until I actually do so, assume that here I posted details of:

A woman having her skull fractured in martial arts competition against a natal male

A woman suffering a serious injury in a women’s rugby match when competing against a natal male

A woman being raped in a women’s prison by a prisoner who was a natal male
Old 19th July 2021, 11:35     #873
Lightspeed

Calm down Rowling.

A person having their skull fractured in a mismatched martial arts competition.

A person suffering a rugby injury as is typical.

A person being raped in an inadequately run prison, as is typical.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 19th July 2021 at 11:36.
Old 19th July 2021, 11:58     #874
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

https://www.sportskeeda.com/mma/news...kull-mma-fight

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...ailed-for-life

World Rugby: “at least a 20-30% greater risk” of injury when a cisgender female player is tackled by someone who has gone through male puberty
Old 19th July 2021, 12:06     #875
Lightspeed

What do you think you're demonstrating, other than you're old and don't get it?

That you can find pretty much a story about anything if you search for it?

People get injured playing sports and raped in prison.

How do you think you're being convincing by asserting it's gender that is the tool to make sure these things don't happen?
Old 19th July 2021, 12:09     #876
fixed_truth

Those things aren't directly caused by trans-inclusive legislation. Those institutions/organisations make decisions on how they run and structure themselves.

The prison example was clearly a case of mismanaging a prisoner with a history of sexual violence.

With the MMA athlete there's no evidence[that the injury had anything to do with her being transgender

And there's also no evidence that letting transgender people use public facilities increases safety risks.
link
Old 19th July 2021, 13:08     #877
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

"Considering gender in woman categorization" can, has, and does lead to harm in certain situations. To claim otherwise is to ignore reality.
Old 19th July 2021, 13:19     #878
Lightspeed

Anything can be true if we're willing to create the frame to make it so.

Are you making a point about the unreasonable positions trolls and shills are willing to take, and how we should be working to accommodate such people in our discussions?

Like, the tribal thing? That's what people looking to exploit our tribal sensibilities are going to latch onto? We have to be careful to use precise language?
Old 19th July 2021, 13:41     #879
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
increases safety risks
This is exactly the criterion behind World Rugby's ban of natal males from women's competition: the org said, and I paraphrase, "faced with a conflict between our desire to offer inclusiveness and our desire to offer safety, we looked at the stats and consulted with community groups, scientists, and medical professionals, and our conclusion was that the two could not always be reconciled, and that safety had to take priority".

That's a position supported by the Speak Up For Women group, whose meeting a protest group just claimed to be an emergency worthy of a declaration of a state of emergency, with all of the civil-rights suspensions that go with it. Madness.
Old 19th July 2021, 13:46     #880
Lightspeed

Quote:
And there's also no evidence that letting transgender people use public facilities increases safety risks.
link
Your link is bupkis.