NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > Games and Mods > Console Forum
User Name
Password

Old 27th November 2010, 18:23     #121
IceFox

Flatmate bought GT5 today, we both agree its really fucking lame.

Forza 3 ftw
Old 27th November 2010, 19:34     #122
Deadmeat

Playing away and then SUDDENLYUPDATE!@$

Really? It couldn't have waited till my race was over to tell me that as I can hear myself hitting a wall? Awesome.
Old 28th November 2010, 11:05     #123
pxpx

PS3+GT5+Move is my Xmas present to myself this year.
Old 28th November 2010, 18:52     #124
SID|DensitY

Overall, not too bad of a game. has a few flaws but meh. I've completed 31% of the game, got iB license (mostly bronze heh), 50 race wins, 40 cars.

I've still yet to find a pre 1969 japanese car that is powerful enough to finish the japanese classics race in the beginner section. its pissing me off no end.
Old 28th November 2010, 20:13     #125
SumJaun
Cogito Ergo Sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID|DensitY
Overall, not too bad of a game. has a few flaws but meh. I've completed 31% of the game, got iB license (mostly bronze heh), 50 race wins, 40 cars.

I've still yet to find a pre 1969 japanese car that is powerful enough to finish the japanese classics race in the beginner section. its pissing me off no end.
Try a Nissan Fairlady 2000 (SR311) ‘68 - worked for me.
Old 28th November 2010, 20:20     #126
Deadmeat

I did it with Nissan Fairlady Z 280Z-L 2seater (S130) ‘78 with a couple of small upgrades.
Old 28th November 2010, 21:34     #127
IceFox

Am I the only one that hates the noise that the cars make when they hit each other? It sounds like a dinghy boat hitting another boat, the same noise every time.
Old 28th November 2010, 22:30     #128
Mokoro

Quote:
Originally Posted by IceFox
Am I the only one that hates the noise that the cars make when they hit each other? It sounds like a dinghy boat hitting another boat, the same noise every time.
lol. THUD!
Lack of brake upgrades on certain cars? WTF? And screen tearing ftl
Old 30th November 2010, 11:19     #129
eliot

Quote:
Yep, definitely. This gets me every time.
Old 30th November 2010, 11:24     #130
[BT]Monza

Quote:
Yup, actually is good incentive not to crash because that sound GMG so much...
Old 30th November 2010, 13:37     #131
Phantom
May contain nuts

muh

Quote:
"At what point did the designers decide that a good sphincter expulsion, somewhat deadened by a large volume of liquid, was exactly the auditory exclamation they were looking for? It would almost sound better if some dead-pan guy said "bang" into a microphone, rather than the sad whimper on offer here."
http://nzgamer.com/ps3/reviews/1237/gran-turismo-5.html
Old 30th November 2010, 13:53     #132
Mokoro

Has anyone else noticed that when you DO collide and this sound effect plays, all other audio gets temporarily muted?
All of these stupid faults aside, driving a powerful rear wheel drive car with all assists turned off on this game is actually really fun.
Old 30th November 2010, 16:08     #133
IoriDyson

so much nit picking. i myself am loving it. sure some stuff is not great (load times, ui, music and indeed the crashing noise) but in the end the driving aspect is just so on the money that it really is a pleasure just to drive. so its a win from me. sure do hope they release a few patches to improve some stuff.

from me it gets a 9/10. best game in my ps3 library so far.

edit: import a playlist from the audio menu to fix the ingame sound track. some of the music is just plain wrong. i guess thats what ya get when ya try to cater to everyone

Last edited by IoriDyson : 30th November 2010 at 16:10.
Old 30th November 2010, 16:53     #134
p01s0n

As someone that played A LOT of forza 3, I sort of feel that there are some things that forza did "really really well" that GT5 is just not making an effort for. Similarly, there are things that GT5 does "really really well", but instead of falling short, forza still managed to do them "really well".

examples that forza did better than GT5:

* damage
* car modifications (yes I realize that ricing the shit out of your car is not the point of the GT series, but when you put a cage in your car in forza, you visibly put a cage in your car etc)
* every part of the menu layout
* aspects of sound (in forza the engines sound angry/tuned when you tune them, collision/crashing noise, tires squealing)
* multiplayer (no doubt will get fixed, i hope)
* ability to just fire up and get into a quick game
* the graphics are consistent, rather than super shiny detailed cars racing past muddy fences, you get slightly less detailed cars speeding past scenery with a matched level of detail to create a more consistent world.

examples that GT5 does better than forza, but forza still does well

* car variety
* physics engine

don't get me wrong, this is not me blindly preaching forza as the best thing ever, 2 years ago I bought a g25 purely for GT5 and i've been eagerly waiting for this as much as anyone else. I bought the game before I bought a ps3. I just feel that maybe forza made some sacrifices in detail to create a better game, and as a result got a adequately good product on the shelf quicker.
Old 30th November 2010, 22:22     #135
blur^

mostly agree but

forza 3 physics irritated me tho, the only cars worth driving were FR
FF/AWD all horribly understeered and took the fun out of for example driving a monster gtr

in gt5 i just did a couple laps in the MINES r34 gtr and O M G its as awesome as watching that old best motoring vid with the drift king

even FF cars dont sledge anywhere near as bad as forza

im also really enjoying B-spec, building a race team is pretty cool
only up to professional races but im hoping eventually i can enter the JGTC
Old 1st December 2010, 04:57     #136
IoriDyson

just got gold in all the pro world cup races still gotta do the full champ run.

on a side note, gt5 gave me a car from the year of my birth for my brithday thanks gt haha weird, but cool at the same time
Old 1st December 2010, 06:12     #137
[BT]Monza

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID|DensitY
yeah, I'm struggling in a '63 Skyline, can overtake in the corners but everyone flies past on the straights...
Old 1st December 2010, 06:14     #138
[BT]Monza

Quote:
Originally Posted by IoriDyson
on a side note, gt5 gave me a car from the year of my birth for my brithday thanks gt haha weird, but cool at the same time
heh, 3 weeks till my '78 car then
Old 1st December 2010, 19:58     #139
p-b

I really think Turn10 are sitting about feeling pretty good right now.

The more I play it, GT5 is making me appreciate Forza3 a whole lot more.

Turn10 have released 3 iterations of Forza in the time that it's taken GT5 to be developed, and the 4th appears to be not too far away.

I even think Forza2 would have been comparable to GT5 in terms of quality. GT5 is at a slight disadvantage in that I am not using a steering wheel and the controller is less than ideal, but still, it's not exactly motivating me to fork out for one when I know Forza4 is on the way and I already have a wheel for my 360.

Like many might say, it's a good game, but in the context of looking at the Forza series which has come into existence with 2 sequels released in the last 5 years... what the hell have the GT5 developers been doing for the last 6 years???

Last edited by p-b : 1st December 2010 at 19:59.
Old 1st December 2010, 22:04     #140
Deadmeat

I love the beginner AMG challenge where you do a lap of the 'ring in a classic merc. Awesome sounding car, an excellent way to learn the track.
Old 5th December 2010, 23:37     #141
SumJaun
Cogito Ergo Sum

Ferrari F1 Car In Gran Turismo 5 doing laps of the Top Gear track.
Old 8th December 2010, 23:21     #142
lambchop

had some epic races tonight with some co-workers ... the day night cycle on that huge track in zondas is something else ...
Old 10th December 2010, 12:30     #143
p-b

The HKS Racing Controller is shipping from Amazon now if you anyone is interested.

Mine appears to have just shipped today, so will hopefully get it before Christmas.

Initial reviews do appear to be mixed. But then I guess that is just inline with peoples preferences for comfort, layout, not wireless etc

Will give my own impressions when I get it.
Old 13th December 2010, 11:59     #144
p-b

Just had it arrive on my desk today. That was quick!

Will be looking forward to giving it a go tonight.

Initial thoughts are the "wheel" and thumb pedals will take some getting used to as the wheel feels a little bit looser than I have thought it would. But I think it will be more of a case of 're-learning' to drive with it much like you have to re-learn when using a proper wheel and pedals for the first time.

Overall though, it feels well made and of good quality.
Old 13th December 2010, 20:33     #145
pervy

Sounds promising. Have you used a wheel before? I would like to know how it compares and if it's hard to make the switch.

GT5 playing pretty well on the G25 anyway
Old 13th December 2010, 20:43     #146
p01s0n

the more i play this game, the further my interest in playing it reduces.

it's kind of shit, tbh.
Old 13th December 2010, 21:36     #147
p-b

After having a bit of a play with it, I like it.

The "wheel" actually works pretty well. I was worried it would feel a bit lose, and that the limited turning range (from centre to side) would limit it, but it actually works quite well as your thumb tends to only use micromovements anyway which is more natural then the larger movements it would have to make with a stick.

The mechanism that centres the wheel is quite strong though, so it does take a bit of getting use to in order to know how much force it takes to micro steer, or to steer further out must the centreing mechanism. Initially I would just too much force and oversteer as I accidentally pushed to hard to get out of the centreing zone. But once you get used to that its much easier to use than a stick. After 10 or so laps of a random track I was getting faster and faster as I would get more used to the well.

Will definately be very good for oval tracks or less technical tracks. I've yet to try it out with a more technical track though.

The thumb pedals will probably take a little longer to get used to. The brake doesn't take much pressure at all to lock the brakes up, but as I mention below, I think it's just a case of getting used to it. I was also using a very low ABS setting which would have affected it some.

The accelerator is not as accurate as I would have hoped. The controller has a GT and NFS mode which you can switch between. Essentially all this does is switch between the mappings of the buttons from X and Square as accelerate and brake (GT) to R2 and L2 as accelerate and brake (NFS).

In the GT mode with the accelerator mapped to X as accelerate only about 30% of downward pressure is 100% of acceleration, however I found that switching to NFS with the thumb accelerator brake pedals to R2/L2 (triggers) improves this a lot to where 90% of downward pressure on the pad being 100% in game.

It's still a little hard to be accurate with regards to level of acceleration but I think that will mostly take some time to get used to.

I've used proper steering wheel/pedal setups with Forza2/3 so that sort of learning curve is not that unusual.

I'd set everything up and remapped the button functions and functions in game so that R2/L2 triggers change gears up and down but its going to take quite a bit of getting use to and learning to co-ordinate between using the thumb pedals and changing gears at the same time.

The ability to easily re-map any of the buttons and their functions on the pad is awesome, the only problem is that from the instructions it looks as though unplugging the USB chord resets the mapping, so you have to do it all over again.

The last thing of course is that it is wired. The USB chord is pretty long, but they could have made it much longer IMO.

The controller has a LED display which shows a 0-100 of how much accelerator pressure you are using but its pretty useless as you hardly ever look at it. It'd have been much more useful for them to have used that internal working space to cram wireless in there.

Anyway to summarise, its definately not a bad effort for a first go. The construction and build quality is top notch and it looks very attractive. It's definately not as unpleasant to use as I thought it would be and definately think it's a good alternative to a full wheel and pedal setup.

It's just a shame that while it had made an effort to support GT5, GT5 doesn't really support it as a controller. Hopefully they'll convince Polyphonic to add official support for it in some form or fashion.

If they ever release a wireless version of the controller with other refinements would definately buy it. But as it is, its not bad at all.

If I was to give it some sort of arbitrary rating, I'd probably give it 8/10 with 2 points being lost to lack of wireless and it's 90% accurate pedal calibration/range.

Last edited by p-b : 13th December 2010 at 21:40.
Old 16th December 2010, 19:30     #148
ZoSo

Man I need a more solid desk. This light one is flying all over the place with my crazy driving styles. Was going to make one of those diy wooden stands but doubt it would do the job now
Old 16th December 2010, 21:34     #149
Deadmeat

The one i made is stable as, even better than i thought it would be.
Old 17th December 2010, 00:09     #150
pervy

That controller does sound like a step in the right direction.

Been having some pretty decent races online recently, 15 people at the ring at night is sweeeeet.
Old 17th December 2010, 09:49     #151
blur^

how is the wheel zo?
Old 17th December 2010, 10:09     #152
ZoSo

Bit of a wrestle taking a bad line on the s-bends on the likes of Eiger Nordwand (hence the wobbly desk) but it's pretty sweet. Bizarre they still don't have a g25/g27 profile but still easy enough to setup. Not totally convinced on the FFB atm though. Need some more tweaking there. I put the force back down to 3 as I'm getting some bearing 'unlock' or some shit when straightening out that just doesnt quite feel right. Gonna go try another wheel to see if it's actually a fault or just me.
Old 21st December 2010, 15:55     #153
p01s0n

I found the one thing I dislike the most about this game.

The AI.

Better hope they can out-brake you cause otherwise if you're in the way, you better believe you're getting fucked up the ass with a supercar!
Old 21st December 2010, 22:30     #154
Deadmeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo
Bizarre they still don't have a g25/g27 profile
I'm pretty certain (guessing) that this is a big fuck you to logitech since the 'official' wheel is now made by thrustmaster. Maybe logitech got pissy about the development time and so PD gave them the flick and decided to be dicks about it?
Old 22nd December 2010, 14:05     #155
ZoSo

I read somewhere that it has an adv. in shifting and so they asked logitech to update the firmware but they (logitech) haven't. Haven't followed it up so don't know if it's true or just plain old old news *shrug*

Also haven't had a chance to thrash GT5 as much as you guys yet so still slowing working through the lowers lvls.. but best driving exp. so far has been this '70 Skyline HT 2000GT-R I got for that japanese cup and have slowly been upgrading it for other comps as well. Such an awesome drive. Corners beautifully, brakes well and is just damn fun (esp early on without some of the mods, sliding was great). Love it.
Old 25th December 2010, 10:10     #156
blur^

i have so many awesome cars now i cant decide what to use to race with

the latest update was a monster, added some cool shit like seasonal races,
but eve tho the rare car dealer is cool the cars i want still cost way too much, no way i can ever afford them
Old 27th December 2010, 14:42     #157
TnT

Santa was good to me, I'm not really a huge racing game fan, but GT5 is pretty frickin' sweet.
Old 30th December 2010, 11:28     #158
Luse

I've been playing this for the past week. At first I wasn't terribly excited by it, then I got hold of a 71 Mach 1 Mustang and in a fit of boredom fully upgraded it.

Insanely fun and intense to drive. Moreso with a logitech wheel + peddles. Nurburg was nuts!

It's just a shame you can't calibrate deadzones on the pedals. If you don't hold the brake pedal right back it leaves the brakes on a tiny bit. (Unless I'm blind and there IS a way to set it)

Last edited by Luse : 30th December 2010 at 11:31.
Old 30th December 2010, 13:54     #159
BaM
Freeloader

What sort of Logitech wheel/pedals? DFP?

http://merc460racing.com/GT/repairin...ving_force.htm

Last edited by BaM : 30th December 2010 at 13:57.
Old 31st December 2010, 09:24     #160
Luse

This one http://www.logitech.com/en-us/441/320

The pedal unit looks almost identical though, so I'll give it a try