Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > Games and Mods > Console Forum
User Name
Password

Old 24th November 2010, 14:10     #81
[BT]Monza

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokoro
Reviews for GT5 should be coming out on sites like ign at about 3?
Just watched this vid http://uk.gamespot.com/shows/now-pla...ismo_520101122 which is from Monday, full review will be a wee way off since online is turned off until Wednesday...
Old 24th November 2010, 14:54     #82
pervy

Yeah I was really hoping to get my hands on one of them (The HKS controller that is) as well. I have bought a HDMI -> DVI cable so I can use the PS3 through my monitor and use my G25, but yeah that controller in front of the TV would be a great alternative.
Old 24th November 2010, 17:25     #83
aR Que

Wishing i did have a playstation.

Completed GT2 to 100% completion when I was a lad. GT champion, any car, any time, bitches.
Old 24th November 2010, 17:34     #84
Mokoro

http://gamrconnect.vgchartz.com/thread.php?id=120048

Link to google translated French review:
http://translate.google.com/translat...smo-5-test.htm

They give it 14/20 - In summary (lol engrish)

edit:copy paste doesnt work so good from translated page - go have a look at it
Old 24th November 2010, 18:46     #85
SumJaun
Cogito Ergo Sum

The Warehouse will have the GT5 Standard edition for $97 until 30/11/2010. It might help with price matching.

http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/ca...29?SKU=1463627
Old 24th November 2010, 23:35     #86
Dazza

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...rismo-5-review

Quote:
The moment Gran Turismo 5 clicked for me, I was tackling the tarmac rally stages in Special Events. These point-to-point time trials take place on twisting country roads crossing the rolling landscape of Tuscany.

At the intermediate level in the rallies, the game whipped away my habitual crutch, the racing line guide that traces the best line through every corner. But that wasn't the half of it, because these rally stages are never the same twice. They're procedurally generated by the Course Maker system – one of innumerable gadgets and modes that developer Polyphony Digital has crammed into this bewilderingly eclectic release.

I couldn't even restart and painstakingly learn the track, because it wouldn't be the same track. So I watched the road, listened to the pace notes and felt my Impreza countersteer out of bends and buck over bumps, taking my heart in my mouth with every blind crest.

Suddenly – after two days' play – I wasn't playing a sim racing game any more. I wasn't learning a litany of trackside cues and cornering rhythms I might as well perform with my eyes shut. I was driving with the seat of my pants on the open road, feeling a powerful car under me, mapping the next bend with my intuition.

This is an experience I'd always longed for, something I'd glimpsed parts of in Project Gotham 2's Nordschleife Nürburgring or Test Drive Unlimited's untamed roadmap – but never so vividly, and never with such profoundly realistic handling.

For me, this is the Holy Grail of driving games. And yet it's one throwaway and all-too-brief event tucked away in a corner of Kazunori Yamauchi's sprawling empire of digital motorsport. I could quite easily have played GT5 for dozens of hours and written this review without even knowing it existed.

That, in a nutshell, is everything that's extraordinary and infuriating about this vast, mad, once-in-a-lifetime game.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...rismo-5-review

Quote:
With Gran Turismo 5, I found myself doing something I've never done with a racing game before: driving simply for the joy of it. Just as with a great car, Gran Turismo 5 feels so great that it begs to be driven. You can't put it down. I found myself cruising the 8.5 miles of Circuit de la Sarthe this week just to enjoy the drive. When you get in the zone and really get in tune with the controls, this game really does let you tap into the pleasures of driving and racing. I'd like to imagine that Polyphony Digital has spent all this time fine-tuning this game for this very feeling.

Even beyond the 1,000 cars, dozens of track variations, countless modes, gorgeous visuals and mountains of options, Gran Turismo 5 has something more that speaks to the world's car lovers and racing fans. The level of care taken by the people at Polyphony Digital shines in every aspect of this title, and this makes for a racing game that truly has no parallel. Gran Turismo 5 is a massive love letter to those that love cars. This is their dream videogame.
Old 24th November 2010, 23:41     #87
Mokoro

I'm not going to trust any review that gives this a good rating, after what I've seen so far. Sounds like this game might be a big let down.
Old 25th November 2010, 04:02     #88
badassmofo

Well, the install takes bloody ages (45mins for me, plus 15 for the patch). Bought a Civic Type R as my first car, and have just completed the Sunday cup for some cash. Game seems pretty sweet so far, definitely feels like Gran Turismo. Might need to splash out for a wheel. But for now, it's sleep time.
Old 25th November 2010, 06:37     #89
Deadmeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokoro
I'm not going to trust any review that gives this a good rating, after what I've seen so far. Sounds like this game might be a big let down.
I've given up on reviews of gt5, half of them are moaning about petty stuff left out the other half were proclaiming it the greatest ever without having played it.

Getting my mate to help me build a folding wheel stand this arvo then i'll be straight into it, can't wait.
Old 25th November 2010, 09:14     #90
BadNova

With a PS3 and G25 wheel sitting at home I guess I don't really have any choice but to buy this.
Old 25th November 2010, 09:21     #91
eliot

Sitting at home waiting for the courier. Then it is off to work after installing it probably!
Old 25th November 2010, 09:40     #92
p-b

Arrived at work to find it waiting for me.

It's going to be a long day.
Old 25th November 2010, 10:46     #93
blur^

so...is it worth buying a ps3 for??
Old 25th November 2010, 11:30     #94
p-b

Maybe?
Old 25th November 2010, 11:35     #95
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by aR Que
Wishing i did have a playstation.

Completed GT2 to 100% completion when I was a lad. GT champion, any car, any time, bitches.
Pretty sure in GT2 you couldn't get 100%, due to some removed dragstrip tracks that were still incorrectly counting towards the total ;D
Old 25th November 2010, 11:38     #96
p01s0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazza
jesus christ this reviewer is a faggot.
Old 25th November 2010, 16:20     #97
pervy

Best game ever!

I started with the cart and now have a yellow S15 with a few mods.

Physics are awesome, force feedback on my G25 feels perfect. No complaints as yet
Old 25th November 2010, 16:23     #98
blur^

is there a gt5 ps3 bundle? whats that run ya
Old 25th November 2010, 16:29     #99
ZoSo

JB HiFi & DSE have one for $687.

http://www.jbhifi.co.nz/games/gran-turismo-5/
Old 25th November 2010, 16:51     #100
BadNova

So what are the options in NZ for a wheel mount? I see playtech is selling one but it's a bit over the top with a bucket seat and everything... anyone know of anyone else selling anything a bit simpler or is DIY the only option?
Old 25th November 2010, 16:56     #101
p-b

Did he say something bad about MX5's AND apple at the same time?
Old 25th November 2010, 20:48     #102
IoriDyson

loving it so far, a few wee issues with loading times and odd menus. but the game itself is excellent. got a funky civic so far. oh and my b spec driver is rubbish lol. user name IoriDyson

whos up for some multiplayer some time?
Old 25th November 2010, 20:52     #103
SID|DensitY

Done sunday cup and Standard B license test. haven't tried B spec yet. lvl 3 or 4 now with A spec (level lockout on events hmm). Pretty neat.
Old 25th November 2010, 21:20     #104
orpheus
Jedi Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by SID|DensitY
Done sunday cup and Standard B license test.

oh man hearing that alone makes me want to go out and buy this
Old 25th November 2010, 21:21     #105
eliot

^ same. Have done the first kart challenges too. Awesome so far, but need to take a break after three hours without moving.
Old 25th November 2010, 22:53     #106
[BT]Monza

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNova
So what are the options in NZ for a wheel mount? I see playtech is selling one but it's a bit over the top with a bucket seat and everything... anyone know of anyone else selling anything a bit simpler or is DIY the only option?

I'm sure these guys used to have some simple setups, but can't find them on thier webpage anymore...
Old 25th November 2010, 22:53     #107
[BT]Monza

double post
Old 25th November 2010, 23:29     #108
Mokoro

can see how this game would benifit from having a force feedback wheel. I'm at odds about this game though, I feel Forza 3 had prettier graphics, better menu interface, and perhaps a more sophisticated phsyics engine?

EDIT: and wtf is this with the tuning/mods?? Have I just been spoilt by Forza?

Last edited by Mokoro : 25th November 2010 at 23:30.
Old 26th November 2010, 01:37     #109
pervy

Well day 1 done. Level 14 with a MP412C and 458
Old 26th November 2010, 07:12     #110
Deadmeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNova
I built one of these in a couple of hours yesterday, nice and solid and it can sit behind the couch when not in use. I just need to play with it for a while so i can figure out the right angle to have the pedals at. Only needed a sheet of plywood and a couple of lengths + assorted screws and bolts, total cost was less than $40 and most of that was the sheet of plywood.
Old 26th November 2010, 09:43     #111
p-b

Finding it really frustrating playing with just a controller.

The release date of the HKS controller is 6 December, so it really couldn't come any sooner.

Anyone tried one of these?

Looks like it could be a bit crap, but more convenient and cheaper than buying a full FF wheel and making a stand.
Old 26th November 2010, 11:46     #112
aR Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Pretty sure in GT2 you couldn't get 100%, due to some removed dragstrip tracks that were still incorrectly counting towards the total ;D
I hope you're happy that i'll spend hours trying to locate the memory card with my saves on it. Bloody sure it was 100%. Had to race cappicinos on that autumn ring circuit'n'shit.
Old 26th November 2010, 11:50     #113
BadNova

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-b
Finding it really frustrating playing with just a controller.

The release date of the HKS controller is 6 December, so it really couldn't come any sooner.

Anyone tried one of these?

Looks like it could be a bit crap, but more convenient and cheaper than buying a full FF wheel and making a stand.
Haven't tried that but the experience of driving GT5 with a G25 or G27 wheel really is worth the effort imo.
Old 26th November 2010, 13:41     #114
Deadmeat

Driving force GT is meant to be pretty good too, added bonus of being half the price with the main difference being no H shifter and no clutch.
Old 26th November 2010, 14:02     #115
p-b

I guess that unless you are super hard core and racing against other super hard core people, the lack of shifter or clutch is not that much of a biggie.

Just wish I they would make a wheel compatible with both PS3 and 360.

I know fanatec have their Porsche wheel, but it would cost a fortune to import one along with wheel stand etc.
Old 26th November 2010, 18:38     #116
blur^

ok so i caved an bought the bundle

its already annoying me tho, "press x" i fucking am!!!
wait thats square

....can u plug a wired 360 controller into ps3? lol
Old 26th November 2010, 22:21     #117
SumJaun
Cogito Ergo Sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-b
Just wish I they would make a wheel compatible with both PS3 and 360.
Blame Microsoft for lack of XBOX 360 compatibility.
Quote:
Logitech
There are two answers to this issue.

First, at this point in time, Logitech is not licensed by Microsoft to develop a force feedback steering wheel for Xbox 360 - only corded controllers. The DriveFX wheel is, effectively, an Xbox 360 controller that is shaped like a steering wheel and has a force feedback motor in place of the standard vibration motors.

Second, even if Logitech were licensed to make a force feedback wheel for Xbox 360, there are significant technical limitations which prevent these wheels from functioning on on Xbox 360. The Xbox 360 features controller and force feedback architectures (XID, device-based force feedback playback) that are significantly different from the way our wheels work on PC, PS2, or PS3 (HID, host-based force feedback playback). It is not possible to enable Xbox 360 functionality with a software or firmware update.

Logitech understands that our customers wish to use our steering wheels on multiple gaming platforms. We have made significant efforts to ensure that our PC wheel drivers support our PS2 wheels, and our PS2 force feedback SDK supports our PC wheels. PS3 games that support Logitech force feedback also support the same list of wheels. At this point in time, these are the only three platforms with which it is possible to have a single force feedback wheel be compatible. Were it possible to effect a firmware or software change to enable Xbox 360 compatibility with our existing wheels, we would do so. Unfortunately, however, until Logitech is licensed by Microsoft to design and manufacture force feedback wheels, no Logitech force feedback wheels will function on Xbox 360.
Source
Old 26th November 2010, 22:58     #118
blur^

my car is in gt5! oh yeah
Old 27th November 2010, 13:53     #119
orpheus
Jedi Knight

Quote:
Originally Posted by blur^
ok so i caved an bought the bundle
that's a pretty expensive game man
Old 27th November 2010, 15:46     #120
blur^

yeah i know
but i have discovered its a better media streamer then my 360
and blue ray so....

just waiting on my xcm cross battle adaptor so i can use my wired 360 controller, fucking ps3 controller sucks balls

and maybe in a couple of pays a logitech g27...altho that would also mean getting something to mount it on