Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 20th November 2008, 16:28     #1
lambchop

alternatives to DVD unlimited?

they merged with fatso right?

hmm ..well looks like their games section is under review, according to the email i just got from them .. so no new titles untill this is completed, no ETA.

i remember there being a game focused site that worked the same way as dvdunlimited .... can't remember the name of it though ..
Old 20th November 2008, 16:32     #2
caffiend

Sorry to be a prick about it, but I mean, really:

http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...cr%3DcountryNZ

http://www.google.co.nz/search?hl=en...cr%3DcountryNZ
Old 20th November 2008, 16:37     #3
lambchop

hmm true i guess, cheers.
Old 20th November 2008, 16:44     #4
Evoke

fatso, movieshack, and dvd unlimited merged.. they were the three big (only?) players in nz. the merger was because they had not enough business for each. makes sense to stay with them because now you could benefit from all three imo. fatso's game section appears to be working.
Old 20th November 2008, 17:06     #5
lambchop

yeh they merged ..but does that mean our login's work on the other sites now? .. or should the titles of all three apear on each?

because there hasn't been any new ps3 games for a while .. i emailed them and they said they are reveiwing weather they should continue buying new game sw ... if they didn't that would suck and i'd prob cancel my membership as it's the main reason i joined..
Old 20th November 2008, 17:09     #6
lambchop

from what i see on fatso ..it's only last gen titles .. ps2 and xbox .. lame
Old 20th November 2008, 17:10     #7
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambchop
yeh they merged ..but does that mean our login's work on the other sites now? .. or should the titles of all three apear on each
I believe it will all be the one site - fatso.

Quote:
because there hasn't been any new ps3 games for a while .. i emailed them and they said they are reveiwing weather they should continue buying new game sw ... if they didn't that would suck and i'd prob cancel my membership as it's the main reason i joined.
Well then you should write a polite email urging them to continue the games.
Old 24th November 2008, 12:14     #8
lambchop

lol...alot of good that did, just got this:

Quote:
Thank you for your email.
Due to the merger it has been decided to discontinue our games rentals entirely.
A confirmation email will be sent out sometime this week.
We hope that you have enjoyed our service and hope that you will reconsider staying with us.

Sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused.
Please feel free to have a look at our new website www.fatso.co.nz

Many thanks & Kind Regards
Old 24th November 2008, 12:16     #9
lambchop

i could have sworn i've seen a NZ based site that does just online game rentals ... wish i could remember it now!
Old 24th November 2008, 12:26     #10
lambchop

ah, found some..

www.gamehog.co.nz
www.gameznflix.com
www.gamekingdom.co.nz

pretty dam average of dvd unlimited ... aren't they huge? thought they had some partnership with sky or something ..
Old 24th November 2008, 13:10     #11
Evoke

the three dvd sites have merged and are all owned by sky

they launched their new (ugly) website today, and yeah no sign of games. but there is a randomise my queue button which I was wanting..
Old 24th November 2008, 13:18     #12
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
lol...alot of good that did, just got this:
At least now you know for sure! Just think, if everybody who'd been renting games from them bothered to email the company, they might not have stopped renting them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoke
stuff we already know
Yeah, useful.
Old 24th November 2008, 13:33     #13
Kryten

Quote:
I'm keen on finding out if these are any good - I keep hearing about how good Gamefly is, it'd be interesting to see if anyone in NZ is up to it.
Old 24th November 2008, 13:47     #14
lambchop

well i've just signed up at gamekingdom ..their selection looks awesome ... question is how long i'll have to wait .. can't be worse than DVDUL anyways .. to get a game i had to remove everything off my queue and wait a couple weeks :/

the thing that gets me though ...dvdunlimited ... and fatso ..have differnt plan prices. fatso's 2disc-at-a time plan is $15.95 .. the same plan on DVDUL ..is $17 ..

and my login for DVDUL .. wont let me in on fatso .. so err?

looks like a bit of a mess really.
Old 24th November 2008, 13:56     #15
cEvin
Love In Vein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoke
the merger was because they had not enough business for each.
not really true
Old 24th November 2008, 14:04     #16
Evoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS

Yeah, useful.

was responding to lambchop

cEvin - just going by what they said
Old 24th November 2008, 14:15     #17
CCS
Stunt Pants

You said stuff that was already mentioned previously. Not useful.
Old 24th November 2008, 14:17     #18
lambchop

oh snap .. just had deadspace sent to me.

fuck not even an hours wait.... impressed.
Old 25th November 2008, 01:12     #19
Madman

Looks like they're just rebranding the Movieshack codebase.
Old 25th November 2008, 23:34     #20
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cEvin
not really true
What was the real reason then? (sincere inquiry)
Old 26th November 2008, 09:43     #21
cEvin
Love In Vein

increased profit for all
Old 26th November 2008, 11:01     #22
Bat@Work

I'll add that I used GameHog for about a year last year, had no issues with them, when ever I did, I emailed them and they sorted it. Whenever there was a game I wanted, emailed and they got it in stock.

So would recommend.. Would still be with them, but I'm no longer based in NZ !
Old 26th November 2008, 11:07     #23
Bat@Work

Should add, that I did find their website pretty pants, although it looks like they have updated it since I quit
Old 26th November 2008, 12:24     #24
Kryten

lambchop, send me a referral to Game Kingdom - someone might as well get a discount if I'm going to give it a go.

PS the email address in your profile doesn't work.
Old 26th November 2008, 21:59     #25
Evoke

even their envelopes are from movieshack now, blegh
Old 26th November 2008, 22:48     #26
CCS
Stunt Pants

Really? Not from Fatso? They must have lots of surplus envelopes from movieshack and dvdunlimited that they need to get rid of.
Old 26th November 2008, 23:11     #27
Evoke

the cardboard holder is the new fatso logo, but the back of the envelope says movieshack.. the dvd sleeve has some fancy numbering system too
Old 26th November 2008, 23:12     #28
cEvin
Love In Vein

oh noes they changed the envelopes? getting rid of subscription immediately
Old 26th November 2008, 23:45     #29
CCS
Stunt Pants

You'd never have a subscription to them anyway. You'd not even have a sub to anything because even the concept of a subscription is too mainstream. I assume you get your music and movies from a guy who will only meet you in a carpark who gets the stuff from another guy who leaves it in a dropbox and he in turn gets it from a Russian submariner and by christ, you don't want to know where he gets it from.
Old 26th November 2008, 23:58     #30
crocos

WHO HAS BEEN TALKING!!?!?!?!?!?! SOMEONE MUST DIE!!!

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 27th November 2008, 20:01     #31
Evoke

with old fatso, I'd press "returned" on a dvd and would have the next dvd in my mailbox the next day or the day after that. now it's taking up to a week.
also, all my emails to fatso used to be replied to. now I don't even get an acknowledgment response.
so far, disappointed.
Old 27th November 2008, 20:12     #32
BathTub

yeah noticing that too, hopefully just a result of the changeover.
Kevin: Oh yeah, when we do, I would hope that we're smart enough to attempt a doctrine of appeasement with them, you know we offer them, I don't know, New Zealand in exchange for them not burning down my house,.. Ah, I mean our houses.
Mike: Good Kevin, that's real brave.
Mike Nelson & Kevin Murphy - Reign of Fire Rifftrax
Old 27th November 2008, 20:13     #33
CCS
Stunt Pants

Holy christ woman, give them some time to sort their shit out. They've just absorbed 3 companies into one. They might be having some teething problems?
Old 28th November 2008, 01:03     #34
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

Remember that merge, where the two good to meh companies merged and became that one awesome company?

Yeah, neither do I.
Old 28th November 2008, 01:04     #35
CCS
Stunt Pants

THREE companies even!
Old 28th November 2008, 03:05     #36
lambchop

Kryten no worries mate, and yeh arse, gotta sort a new casual email addy - just join.

deadspace arrived pretty quick .. they come in pretty plain brown slips, and those plastic disc hugging 'cases'

and i like the availability status too. good shit.
Old 28th November 2008, 03:07     #37
lambchop

ah 1st chink in the amour ..referral page doesn't work for me at the mo lol. meh.
Old 28th November 2008, 11:47     #38
Rib Feast

Hey guys, I'm involved with the merger. Any shipping/phone delays earlier in the week will be just the merger workload. Having to import and reprint 200,000+ dvds is fun

Everything should be sorted in a week or so, but if you have any general queries I'll check the thread when I get the chance.
Old 28th November 2008, 11:52     #39
fobski

Rib feast, See you next time you are in checking ya kit :P
Old 28th November 2008, 16:55     #40
Pleb'a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rib Feast
Hey guys, I'm involved with the merger. Any shipping/phone delays earlier in the week will be just the merger workload. Having to import and reprint 200,000+ dvds is fun

Everything should be sorted in a week or so, but if you have any general queries I'll check the thread when I get the chance.
You're a noob, that's all I have to say