Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 3rd September 2020, 12:40     #1
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

sucks to be a kid in NZ

Quote:
The annual Unicef Worlds of Influence Report Card released today shows that New Zealand is one of the worst places to be a child, ranking 35th out of the 41 richest countries surveyed – which include OECD countries and the countries that make up the European Union.

New Zealand’s youth suicide rate is the second-worst at 14.9 deaths per 100,000 adolescents, just in front of Lithuania, which is the worst in the developed world. This rate is more than twice the average among the 41 OECD countries surveyed.
Old 3rd September 2020, 12:47     #2
Lightspeed

Old 3rd September 2020, 13:04     #3
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
New Zealand’s youth suicide rate is the second-worst at 14.9 deaths per 100,000 adolescents
This might not be the place for it, but this is 100% why I'm pro EoL choice, but voting no on the euthanasia referendum.

You can't have the govt say it's OK to take your own life, when there's not watertight messaging in place for an already at-risk demographic, and no world class mental health care system in place to help those that are considering it, and the stats to prove that we're the best.

The one thing the stats are showing us, is that we're currently one of the worst.
Old 3rd September 2020, 14:15     #4
xor

It doesn't help that NZ is a fucking expensive place to live.
Old 3rd September 2020, 18:24     #5
Know me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
This might not be the place for it, but this is 100% why I'm pro EoL choice, but voting no on the euthanasia referendum.
I'm along similar lines of thinking. But leaning towards a yes.
Old 3rd September 2020, 19:46     #6
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
It doesn't help that NZ is a fucking expensive place to live.
Kids/young adults aren't paying the bills, so while your statement may be true, I don't think it lends itself to justification of youth suicide.

Of the young people I know who committed suicide, none were financially motivated - I would say mental health is the dominant theme, with a combination of drug fucked/relationship trauma thrown in to torment it.

That's just my own experience, I can't speak for all statistics.
Old 3rd September 2020, 20:21     #7
fixed_truth

New Zealand young people facing 'silent pandemic of psychological distress'
Old 10th November 2020, 15:12     #8
Lightspeed

New Zealand children becoming more obese, unhappy
Old 10th November 2020, 15:45     #9
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Jacinda: no changes to benefits lol
Old 10th November 2020, 16:35     #10
Lightspeed

We seem to be hearing a lot about what the government isn't going to do right now.
Old 11th November 2020, 11:11     #11
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
Kids/young adults aren't paying the bills, so while your statement may be true, I don't think it lends itself to justification of youth suicide.

Of the young people I know who committed suicide, none were financially motivated - I would say mental health is the dominant theme, with a combination of drug fucked/relationship trauma thrown in to torment it.

That's just my own experience, I can't speak for all statistics.
Yeah, that's true. Plenty of people who aren't experiencing financial hardship also commit suicide. But fuck, the lack of money definitely affects one's mental health.

South Auckland hasn't noticed a difference between National or Labour. The queue to the food bank continues to grow each year.