NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 28th February 2024, 18:53     #44161
[Malks] Pixie

Yeah Newshub being shut down is catastrophic for our media ecology and for our countries democracy. Ignore the international news reporting (which is mostly wire work) and look to the impacts that this will have on our local reporting.

Only upside is it's going to be a great case study for the media economics in NZ paper which I'm tutoring this year (again, <sigh>).
Old 28th February 2024, 18:59     #44162
Lightspeed

My bet is the government will use this as impetus to target RNZ.
Old 29th February 2024, 20:14     #44163
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Yeah , 3 is gone.

David Farrier makes a good case for why this is bad:

More:

https://www.webworm.co/p/futureshock...m_medium=email
Having recently lost my job at Stuff, and having seen a lot of other people there lose their jobs and treated like shit, he's probably onto something.

I don't think its quite "shut down" material. Probably a lot cheaper to run that newshub was.
Old 1st March 2024, 17:34     #44164
xor

I thought my new job would require some data engineering but this is nuts. Tell you wot, i am nearly 40 and still need to know about the master file table. phoaah
Old 5th March 2024, 19:53     #44165
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
It's our political cycle. We flip between the builders and the "fiscally responsible".

I hope you don't have plans to cross the Cook Strait anytime in the next 30 years.
Truth bombs from Danylmc:

https://democracyproject.substack.co...u&open=fals e

Quote:
Last week the heads of Kiwirail appeared before the transport and infrastructure select committee where they revealed they’d spent $424 million on the project to replace the Interislander ferry and port, most of it on planning, design and project management. The project has now been cancelled because of the astonishing cost blowout. This has become a familiar story in New Zealand politics: builds vital to the national interest being cancelled after long delays and incredible costs without anything being delivered: Auckland Light Rail, Let’s Get Wellington Moving, the Lake Onslow Hydro scheme.
Old 6th March 2024, 13:04     #44166
Lightspeed

Part of the reason why these projects cost so much is so much effort is put into understanding environmental impacts and consulting with stakeholders.

The gamble the last government made was that they'd be in power long enough to see the projects through, making that spending worthwhile.

The current government doesn't seem so concerned about the future and so is unfettered by concerns of the long term consequences. Billions and billions can go towards roads without all that wasteful handwringing figuring out how to build a sustainable future.
Old 6th March 2024, 13:07     #44167
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

From danylmc's essay:

Quote:
The prevailing left-wing model of state entities is that they’re Weberian bureaucracies: efficient, rational, rule-bound, professional, meritocratic; a universal class dedicated to serving the nation. If you looked at the under-examined assumptions behind Ardernism I suspect a strong belief in the infallibility of state bureaucracies would lie at the heart of it: any problem can be solved if you give the experts running the relevant ministry more money and tell them to be kind.
Old 6th March 2024, 14:12     #44168
wazza
*flex*

what's up with these numbers, i thought trigger had the latter

Currently Active Users: 2092 (2 members and 2090 guests)
Most users ever online was 3,380, 10th January 2024 at 02:42.
Old 6th March 2024, 14:42     #44169
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

NFI. Bots, or hung processes from bots trying to register? The site is reporting 2000 guest users looking at the site right now, which just isn't possible.
Old 6th March 2024, 14:53     #44170
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
From danylmc's essay:
There's always bureaucracy, ever more so as inequality escalates and more has to be done to fend off those seeking diminishing resources.

The difference is who notices it.

For instance Seymour's Ministry of Regulation will "cut red tape" for those with the most, fast tracked resource consent, that kind of thing. While at the same time implementing all kinds of hurdles for the least of us trying to get our basic needs met.

If it wasn't for the pandemic driving up populism I think Ardern would have pulled off a lot of infrastructure gains for us. But she had to settle for saving our lives instead.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 6th March 2024 at 14:54.
Old 6th March 2024, 22:09     #44171
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
NFI. Bots, or hung processes from bots trying to register? The site is reporting 2000 guest users looking at the site right now, which just isn't possible.
No mention of the outage from the other day?
Old 6th March 2024, 23:13     #44172
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Oh shit, I actually forgot all about it. All I did was reboot the VPS and everything was good. But that was on the 27th or 28th of Feb wasn’t it?
Old 6th March 2024, 23:17     #44173
Lightspeed

The 29th! Cause it was the day the self-service petrol pumps went down.
Old 7th March 2024, 11:54     #44174
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
TVNZ cutting heads

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/...ASX6AB47C7KR4/
Old 7th March 2024, 12:27     #44175
Lightspeed

RoI on advertising must be in the pits.
Old 7th March 2024, 14:35     #44176
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

RoI on being a government owning a TV station must be even worse.
Old 7th March 2024, 20:42     #44177
wazza
*flex*

fiscally(life in general) i'm incredibly naive. can someone please tell me, are we in a recession? is one of the way? is the year(or 2) ahead going to be tough on business?

i think i'm in a bit of a bubble, don't have kids/mortgage, don't have any friends, etc. i just go to training in the morning, go to work and come home and watch ficition, rinse/repeat 7 days a week.

is this the start of bad things? is this because of the way the world spent endlessly during covid, etc?
Old 8th March 2024, 08:26     #44178
MadMax
Stuff

Things aren’t as busy as they used to be. I find come 3pm everything goes quiet and the ‘afternoon rush’ has gone.
Old 8th March 2024, 13:48     #44179
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazza
fiscally(life in general) i'm incredibly naive. can someone please tell me, are we in a recession? is one of the way? is the year(or 2) ahead going to be tough on business?

i think i'm in a bit of a bubble, don't have kids/mortgage, don't have any friends, etc. i just go to training in the morning, go to work and come home and watch ficition, rinse/repeat 7 days a week.

is this the start of bad things? is this because of the way the world spent endlessly during covid, etc?
We spent a pittance on the pandemic compared to what we'll spend on war.

What's going on is the usual complex interplay of forces, some we recognise, some we're oblivious to.

One thing that's happening is a wealth transfer to the richest, which is impacting our ability to purchase, which impacts the value of advertising.
Old 8th March 2024, 14:01     #44180
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Quote:
TVNZ staff are in tears as they hear plans to axe Sunday, Fair Go and two of the state broadcaster’s daily news bulletins - part of a massive cost-cutting plan in its news and current affairs division.

There are reports the Midday and Tonight weekday bulletins are being dumped as part of the widespread cuts, as TVNZ battles a big drop in traditional TV advertising revenue and audiences’ fast-moving shift to digital platforms.

Up to 68 jobs, including about 35 in news and current affairs, are being axed.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/tvnz-j...IPD53HPDRL4NQ/
Old 8th March 2024, 14:15     #44181
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazza

Don't know if NZ is officially in a recession but it's pretty fucken grim.

My advice, leave.
Old 8th March 2024, 14:25     #44182
xor

My own personal anecdotes:
  • A lot of the guys we kicked around with when we were young have left NZ. This is so wild to think about. Nobody ever really said 'fuck this place, i'm leaving and never coming back' back in the day, it just sorta happened..
  • The bridge seems sketchier than previous years. Heaps of patched gang members drinking their lattes and being cunts. Felt pretty sketched out when i went down to the bridge at night, no women around. Only dudes who were looking pretty staunch.
  • Purata looks more fucked than when i left. I remember growing up and riding my bike through there, it was always a bit sketch but now it looks like a fight will break out just from the wrong look.
  • High living costs vs severely depressed salaries.
Old 8th March 2024, 14:54     #44183
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
My advice, leave.
Same issues the world over. This is supposedly Belgium:
  • There are not enough nurseries
  • There are not enough schools
  • There are not enough jails
  • There are not enough medics or nurses. The waiting lists are of the order of months/years, while a lot of medics don't take in new patients
  • Psychological treatment is also unreachable in most cases
  • The justice system is suffocated
  • Highest taxes on work
  • Probably more telling signs (please mention them)
  • Police also seem to claim it is understaffed

It's the same phenomenon the world over: money for the wealthiest. With public discourse focused on how those with the least can manage with less. Cutting red tape so that the wealthiest have even fewer hurdles to more wealth.
Old 8th March 2024, 15:21     #44184
xor

Not as severe as NZ imo. Similar pressures in Queensland but nowhere near as fucked as NZ is.
Old 8th March 2024, 15:32     #44185
xor

Another anecdote, kiwi nurses leaving nz to go live in QLD because NZ is too expensive. When i was back in NZ and at middlemore, the nurses were blatantly saying how fucked nz is and they wish they could leave. Again, just an anecdote, take it however you want.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/fears-...FSQS6TP5QJ7HE/

It's grim and going to get a lot worse over there than other western nations.
Old 8th March 2024, 18:51     #44186
fixed_truth

People will have to weigh up if the possibility to get ahead is worth tolerating extreme weather and racism engrained in society. I find NZ a lot more relaxed with generally nicer people. Each to their own I guess.
Old 8th March 2024, 19:34     #44187
Lightspeed

Pretty sure the only people who think NZ is the worst are people who spend all their time in NZ.
Old 10th March 2024, 14:11     #44188
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Pretty sure the only people who think NZ is the worst are people who spend all their time in NZ.
Though Discovery throwing the last of tv3's news coverage to the scrapper is pretty shit. But that's more American corporate overlord capitalism BS than necessarily a NZ thing. But bye-bye to the last of the non-government funded/run TV news media.

OTOH TVNZ cutting it's number of news and current affairs shows is a crappy situation that isn't going to lead to anything good.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 10th March 2024, 16:56     #44189
Lightspeed

The Oceans We Knew Are Already Gone

I don't even recall when I ate my last New Zealand scallop. I wonder what else I've eaten my last of that I don't realise.
Old 11th March 2024, 00:49     #44190
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
People will have to weigh up if the possibility to get ahead is worth tolerating extreme weather and racism engrained in society. I find NZ a lot more relaxed with generally nicer people. Each to their own I guess.
Disclaimer: I'm a honkey, so will have the standard third-party, disconnected view on these things, but have not seen/heard/witnessed any more or less racism over here in Aus than I saw in New Zealand. I don't exactly go out looking for this kind of thing, but when I have witnessed it, it's usually one Pacific Islander toward/against another, or toward TSI or indigenous Australians. I think NZ are quite a bit further ahead in terms of addressing historical events/issues than Australia, however. Arriving fresh off the boat from South Africa in 1996, was greeted with a question from another honkey in 5th form at Mt Maunganui college, "Do your blacks smell as bad as ours?". Consider a 15 year old me blown away (most of my friends in South Africa when I left were either black or Cape Coloured).

You're pretty spot on re: the extreme weather, but NZ has been seeing it's own pretty abominable weather over the last couple of years.

I agree with xor, overall there seems to be far more options, more stability, better service in Aus. I've encouraged both my brother and sister to consider making the move, but they have children and extended family ties are far more important/necessary to them.

Last edited by Savage : 11th March 2024 at 00:50.
Old 12th March 2024, 01:53     #44191
MadMax
Stuff

Too soon?

What sound do people make as they’re bounced around the inside of an airplane? Boeing Boeing Boeing.
Old 12th March 2024, 07:29     #44192
StN
I have detailed files

I always wondered why Michael Crighton's book "Airframe" wasn't made into a film.
Old 12th March 2024, 17:46     #44193
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Jeez it sounds like the plane’s systems bluescreened on the pilot.
Old 12th March 2024, 22:42     #44194
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
What sound do people make as they’re bounced around the inside of an airplane? Boeing Boeing Boeing.
Old 13th March 2024, 09:30     #44195
MadMax
Stuff

I can’t get over how small the Intel NUCs are.
Old 13th March 2024, 18:26     #44196
wazza
*flex*

yeah we use them at work paired with a 4g router for backup WAN at each site. pretty slick. recommend
Old 14th March 2024, 21:52     #44197
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Has anyone got one of the higher spec mini PCs from Ali Express?

I am always a fan of silent PCs, and I don't need much power (web browser with video acceleration and graphical SSH client is all I need), but the low power ones are spec'd like a Chromebook, and the high powered ones cost almost as much as a second hand Mac Mini, and I don't actually need another computer.

I just want someone to say "I got one, it's shit, never look at them again" and that'll solve my problem, ideally.
Old 15th March 2024, 22:11     #44198
MadMax
Stuff

Stay away from Chinese PCs. Google it.
Old 17th March 2024, 22:45     #44199
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
Stay away from Chinese PCs. Google it.
I was going to get one with no storage or RAM, and I'm aware of the dodgy Windows malware infested images that came with some of them.

I know there are BIOS-level viruses (at least proof of concept), but I'm not sure China is really so sophisticated that they're deploying OS-agnostic BIOS-level malware that can communicate to an external network even if behind a firewall, and may end up finding out that I've typed "ls -al" a million times and "git pull" every now and then.

But I appreciate your heads up. Any recommendations on a Mac Mini alternative that doesn't cost as much as a Mac Mini, isn't some strange architecture and maybe doesn't perform as well but is still silent?

It's just they're like $300NZD, and it's a 16 thread Ryzen with Vega graphics. That seems pretty good.
Old 18th March 2024, 10:59     #44200
wazza
*flex*

wtf

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/kiwis-...OJ4NZ2AN2BCS4/

casual rear-naked, snatching gun