Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > The year of rugby
User Name
Password

Old 2nd November 2010, 16:43     #41
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
I seem to remember making a comment a few threads ago that the Ab selectors are notoriously conservative and to have you and your egotistical rugby head troll me. Now it seems you're being conservative in your persistence of reselecting Donald. Funny that.
I'm too dumb to understand what you mean by that sorry.

Quote from Wayne Smith today:

"We all love him and everyone has got great belief in Stephen and he has got good character. But ... they have to get through this themselves."

He's in for the long haul so you might as well get used to it.
Old 2nd November 2010, 17:02     #42
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr selfdestruct
Quote from Wayne Smith today:

"We all love him and everyone has got great belief in Stephen and he has got good character. But ... they have to get through this themselves."
So Donald's got someone by the short & curlies then? K. Still shouldn't be in the ABs.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 2nd November 2010, 17:27     #43
CCS
Stunt Pants

I'm telling you right now that we're not going to win the world cup. Might as well go through the mourning phase now and then try to enjoy the tournament for what it is. Put all your money on Australia.
Old 2nd November 2010, 23:34     #44
BoyWonder

Harsh bro :/
Old 2nd November 2010, 23:37     #45
CCS
Stunt Pants

Just saying. Remember last time when Umaga got injured and there was nobody as awesome as him to replace him? And Carter wasn't around for the French match? I can't even remember who subbed for him, probably fucken Donald.

Expect the same again.
Old 3rd November 2010, 07:23     #46
Phrack

Didn't Carter have to go off injured, then Evans came on and got an injury, so we were left with McAlister and Mauger?
Old 3rd November 2010, 09:25     #47
PhX

Yeah he got hurt in the match. I would say we are pretty certain to make the final and would put $100 down on it but as like the league its a game in the end shit goes wrong (or right in our case of the league ). O Conner will probably do a drop goal from 40m when we are 1 up screwing us in the arse some more.

Last edited by PhX : 3rd November 2010 at 09:26.
Old 3rd November 2010, 12:21     #48
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhX
Yeah he got hurt in the match. I would say we are pretty certain to make the final and would put $100 down on it but as like the league its a game in the end shit goes wrong (or right in our case of the league ). O Conner will probably do a drop goal from 40m when we are 1 up screwing us in the arse some more.
Yeah dude 2nd this, O'Connor will win the World Cup for the Wallabies, he is the most talented outside back in the world right now. If he puts on another 5kg without compromising his speed and change of direction he will be amazing.

Umaga didn't get injured before the World Cup, he fucking retired, that's Umaga, leaving us with NO incumbant Centre to choose for the 3rd World Cup in a row :P Funny that next year, we won't have an issue at Centre provided Conrad doesn't break another leg just before it (like last time), our problem will be 10 when at the last couple of World Cups we had two perfectly capable chaps.

We can only hope we don't need a back up 10 for the World Cup!!
Old 3rd November 2010, 13:20     #49
PhX

Praise allah!
Old 3rd November 2010, 15:17     #50
Lord Pidgington

Donald is the Matt Sinclair of rugby. Excels in the domestic comp, but constantly bombs every time he's given the nod to play on the international stage.

Get. Rid. Of. Him.
Old 3rd November 2010, 16:41     #51
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pidgington
Donald is the Matt Sinclair of rugby. Excels in the domestic comp, but constantly bombs every time he's given the nod to play on the international stage.

Get. Rid. Of. Him.
I still don't get this 'bombs every time' thing. Explain to me how he fucked up in all 20 games please. I don't suppose you remember the 19-18 win over the Wallabies in 2008 where at the death Donald made a match saving brilliant tackle where a Wallabies player got caught out not releasing when Donald had rights to the ball getting Carter the 79th minute penalty to win the game?

I could name more occasions where he's played well but it would be lost on you because clearly 'EVERY TIME' just means last week and in his one and only ever start in Hong Kong last year.

Yes he has been shit the last two times and maybe that IS enough to axe him but these sweeping generalizations are hardly accurate.

BTW Matt Sinclairs ODI average is only 5 less than Ross Taylor :P His Test average is complete rubbish though :P
Old 3rd November 2010, 17:54     #52
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Umaga didn't get injured before the World Cup, he fucking retired
Ah yeah that's right. Now that I think about it, I remember McCaw having to front up at the press conference after he lost to the French, he was pretty gutted.

When am I thinking of then? The RWC prior to the last one? Or some other important game? Ah, I dunno. Doesn't matter. We're gonna lose.
Old 3rd November 2010, 22:47     #53
herp

Quote:
I still don't get this 'bombs every time' thing. Explain to me how he fucked up in all 20 games please. I don't suppose you remember the 19-18 win over the Wallabies in 2008 where at the death
I remember Donald putting up defensive bombs from his own 22 when we lost to France in Dunedin last year.
Old 3rd November 2010, 22:51     #54
herp

I also remember he played shit in the two games he started in South Africa last year. (we lost both games).
Old 3rd November 2010, 22:52     #55
Heresy
yawn.

Quote:
I don't suppose you remember the 19-18 win over the Wallabies in 2008 where at the death Donald made a match saving brilliant tackle where a Wallabies player got caught out not releasing when Donald had rights to the ball getting Carter the 79th minute penalty to win the game?
That's the difference. Carter was still on the field, making the kicks, playing #10, making the decisions.
Old 4th November 2010, 09:47     #56
PhX

Seriously why dont they play the game in the evening there so its not the middle of the night here! 6-730pm match UK time would have been fine. Ass Monkey
Old 4th November 2010, 13:40     #57
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by herp
I also remember he played shit in the two games he started in South Africa last year. (we lost both games).
Huh? he's only ever started one match in his All Black career.

Yeah those defensive bombs, they weren't great options, leave those to the half back Beaver.

Funny though, I remember Wayne Smith saying about Donald a few weeks ago, "He's taken those silly chip and chases out of his game and has replaced them with grubbers". Hmmmm was grubbers from inside 22 also part of your new game plan?! *face palm*
Old 4th November 2010, 14:10     #58
SickBo@Work

Donald is one of Henrys pet projects like Joe, but at least Joe doesn't lose us games. It's his thinking and judgement esp under pressure which are the problem, not a few minor technical deficiencies that practice could iron out.

No replay at all of the aussie/sa games on sky sport which is crap, gotta get the Rugby channel now as well.
Old 4th November 2010, 14:17     #59
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickBo@Work
Donald is one of Henrys pet projects like Joe, but at least Joe doesn't lose us games. It's his thinking and judgement esp under pressure which are the problem, not a few minor technical deficiencies that practice could iron out.

No replay at all of the aussie/sa games on sky sport which is crap, gotta get the Rugby channel now as well.
Dude, get the rugby channel for the month and cancel it then, it's $1 at the moment. duh :P
Old 4th November 2010, 14:55     #60
SickBo@Work

Sweet
Old 4th November 2010, 17:53     #61
herp

Quote:
Huh? he's only ever started one match in his All Black career.
It's not even funny anymore. He started in all 5 losses last year.

#10 against France (27-22 loss). http://www.allblacks.com/index.cfm?l...sArticle=10236

#10 twice against South Africa in SA. July 26 against SA http://www.allblacks.com/index.cfm?l...sArticle=10571 (28-19 loss)

August 2 against SA http://www.allblacks.com/index.cfm?l...sArticle=10638 (31-19 loss)

#12 once against SA in SA. September 12 against SA in NZ http://www.allblacks.com/index.cfm?l...sArticle=11034 (32-29 loss)

#10 against the Barbarians at the end of year tour (25-18 loss). http://www.allblacks.com/index.cfm?l...sArticle=11783

September 12 against SA in NZ http://www.allblacks.com/index.cfm?l...sArticle=11034 (32-29 loss)

He must be one of the only All Blacks to ever have a losing record in tests he's started in.
Old 4th November 2010, 19:45     #62
GiBs

Cowan dropped? Seems a bit strange as I thought he played well in the loss against aus!

Good to see Sonny Bill in! Wouldnt be much fun defending against him and nonu haha
Old 4th November 2010, 20:58     #63
SickBo@Work

Tindall and Hape are both big guys, must be close to nonu/sb size wise
Old 4th November 2010, 23:34     #64
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

strong post, herp ;>
Old 5th November 2010, 06:10     #65
ilk

Yup, but chances of SD taking Donald's cock out of his mouth at this point are slim.
Old 5th November 2010, 09:05     #66
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by herp
It's not even funny anymore. He started in all 5 losses last year.
My bad, I'm sure Mulligan from CGW said he'd only ever started one test the other night.

It would be nice if the All Blacks could occasionally win a Test match without Richie/Dan :/ I'd like to see our win loss record without them since 2005.
Old 25th October 2011, 20:38     #67
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Just saying. Remember last time when Umaga got injured and there was nobody as awesome as him to replace him? And Carter wasn't around for the French match? I can't even remember who subbed for him, probably fucken Donald.

Expect the same again.
Old 25th October 2011, 20:40     #68
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Pidgington

Get. Rid. Of. Him.
Old 25th October 2011, 20:41     #69
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilk
Yup, but chances of SD taking Donald's cock out of his mouth at this point are slim.
Who's with me now?
Old 25th October 2011, 21:25     #70
CCS
Stunt Pants

Wow, look at mr selfdestruct going through a bunch of old threads and digging out some old comments where people criticise Donald for his lack of him. Now that Donald aced the one kick that was expected of him, mr selfdestruct is all "I told you so! NEENER NEENER!"

Feel cool now?
Old 25th October 2011, 22:53     #71
blynk

I would still agree with Lord Ps comment though.

All that is proven is that Donald lasted a game with out fucking up. Even Sinclear did that now and then.
Old 26th October 2011, 08:56     #72
pxpx

Thats the only thing I ever remember about Sinclair.

That's the only thing I'll ever remember about Donald.
Old 26th October 2011, 12:06     #73
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Feel cool now?
Yes thank you.
Old 26th October 2011, 12:10     #74
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx

That's the only thing I'll ever remember about Donald.
Likewise. Not because I've somehow forgotten his past failings... but because I never ever knew who he was before the RWC. Something I suspect is true for many, many kiwis.
Old 26th October 2011, 13:31     #75
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I never doubted the guy. He got more than his fair share of flak last year for the simple reason that he had to run the show when Dan Carter was injured, and Dan Carter is one of the greatest All Blacks of all time. The comparison wasn't flattering to Donald. And he had a brain explosion, like every player (except John Eales and Captain Tackles) has had from time to time, and that brain explosion happened to cost us a test match against Australia. BFD. Carlos Spencer had a brain explosion that cost us a World Cup, and he didn't suffer the abuse that Donald had to endure.

I've always rated the guy. As a Waikato and Chiefs fan I've seen Stephen Donald run games and make pressure kicks that more than prove he deserved a black jersey. And now he's answered the critics in the best way possible. I think Ma'a Nonu said it best on the night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSVtxg9qK5M

I'm almost as happy that Donald's now a national hero as I am that we finally won the RWC. What a fucking fairytale.
Old 26th October 2011, 13:56     #76
blur^

amen
Old 26th October 2011, 14:37     #77
reac
Min Sicker Reac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I'm almost as happy that Donald's now a national hero as I am that we finally won the RWC. What a fucking fairytale.
Speaking as a Chiefs fan, I couldn't agree more.
Old 27th October 2011, 11:28     #78
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

As a passionate Chiefs fan - Same