NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 9th October 2018, 23:25     #41241
crocos

The Nigerian Prince laughs at ledinjector's feeble attempts at sanity.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 10th October 2018, 19:49     #41242
MadMax
Stuff

using the speak highlited text function on ones iphone to have Siri read anything out is too much fun, especially after you ask out loud, “hey Siri, where is that guy that’s ultra sensitive about head office stuff physically located?” ... and it reads out your prepared note of “[Mr tin foil hat] is located at [current street address]”.

Last edited by MadMax : 10th October 2018 at 19:51.
Old 11th October 2018, 12:35     #41243
fixed_truth

Quote:
He claimed at trial he had tried on gloves at The Warehouse a month or so earlier, and that the attacker must have purchased the same pair of gloves and left them at the scene.
https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/crime...was-a-teenager

Old 13th October 2018, 17:06     #41244
MadMax
Stuff

oh dear
https://stuffednz.com/
Old 13th October 2018, 17:37     #41245
StN
I have detailed files

. Ignore me - Max's link blocked by work firewall...

Last edited by StN : 13th October 2018 at 17:38.
Old 15th October 2018, 15:15     #41246
MadMax
Stuff

Why can’t more apps make use of camera based barcode scanning text entry?
Old 16th October 2018, 14:27     #41247
MadMax
Stuff

Email accounts are being accessed presumably through credentials gained through phishing emails, then emails inside of those accounts are being replied to with an infected attachment, likely 0-days.

So you get a reply to one of your emails from someone you know with an attachment and brief request for viewing directly from their real email account.

Only clues that something is possibly wrong is the age of your original email and that the attachment is in the old 3 letter suffix ie .doc rather than .docx

Similar to the old invoice intercept and bank account number switch trick.

Last edited by MadMax : 16th October 2018 at 14:30.
Old 16th October 2018, 14:35     #41248
Lightspeed

I guess you gotta put your 0-days to use if you want to get value out of them before someone else puts it to use. Gotta be some stiff competition out there for identity information and botnet clients. Gotta build that twitterbot army somehow.
Old 16th October 2018, 14:47     #41249
crocos

Devil grin

Flat white with trim milk is grim. #justSayin #firstWorldProblems #IFeelLikeSuchAPoor

Old 16th October 2018, 19:10     #41250
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
Email accounts are being accessed presumably through credentials gained through phishing emails, then emails inside of those accounts are being replied to with an infected attachment, likely 0-days.

So you get a reply to one of your emails from someone you know with an attachment and brief request for viewing directly from their real email account.

Only clues that something is possibly wrong is the age of your original email and that the attachment is in the old 3 letter suffix ie .doc rather than .docx

Similar to the old invoice intercept and bank account number switch trick.
First place to check O365 Outlook is the hidden autoforward settings.
Old 16th October 2018, 20:29     #41251
MadMax
Stuff

oh, the pwnd accounts aren't mine. Have only seen the dodgy emails but good to know
Old 19th October 2018, 10:04     #41252
pxpx

toilet training: discuss
Old 19th October 2018, 12:30     #41253
blynk

How old?

Summer is a good time for it, coz they can run around with no nappy on or just undies and its a quick to get them onto a toilet/potty.

We are going to do it with our 2.9 year old this summer. Shes already started going on the toilet (very sporadically).

We also have a just turning 6 yo that has a nappy at night. He is a heavy sleeper, so can't wake himself up to go.
We are going to start trying to wake him up when we go to bed to get into that habit (and limit his water before bed).
Old 19th October 2018, 14:05     #41254
StN
I have detailed files

Feck - I'm at the point where it's 3:45am and my headphones are on and a podcast blaring and I'm thinking "Why can't I get to sleep?".

Oh - might need to piss.

Sometimes it takes me 30 minutes to remember this bit. It's like I don't feel busting, or even a need. But get up and do it, then *Bam* straight back to sleep.
Old 19th October 2018, 15:15     #41255
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
How old?

Summer is a good time for it, coz they can run around with no nappy on or just undies and its a quick to get them onto a toilet/potty.

We are going to do it with our 2.9 year old this summer. Shes already started going on the toilet (very sporadically).
2.5 and planning on making a solid effort over the xmas break when we are in our new house. We're in sporadic mode at the moment too. Just interested in hearing anecdotes
Old 19th October 2018, 17:29     #41256
MadMax
Stuff

Plonk on potty while reading a book to them until you get ... movement.
Old 19th October 2018, 17:51     #41257
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
Plonk on potty while reading a book to them until you get ... movement.
We did that when out 2.5yo was constipated. Sat them on the potty in front of TV (easier than reading a book )
Old 19th October 2018, 18:07     #41258
StN
I have detailed files

Actually, in hindsight, I vaguely remember a VHS tape and book that I would plonk them down to watch and read that I got from Amazon. Once upon a potty or something?
Old 19th October 2018, 23:25     #41259
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
toilet training: discuss
Generally accepted as an essential developmental milestone. A first experience a person has of being responsible for/producing something bad/unwanted.

So don't fuck it up.
Old 20th October 2018, 12:01     #41260
MadMax
Stuff

the key if it isn't obvious is just to keep them on the potty for a long as possible until you get a deposit. timing can be important ie put them there a few minutes after eating. the earlier you start them the better especially when you review your weekly grocery receipt and see the price of nappies.

for bed wetting if you get that problem i suggest waking them before you go to bed and sending them to the loo.

Last edited by MadMax : 20th October 2018 at 12:04.
Old 23rd October 2018, 10:43     #41261
blynk

Do the 2 separately.
So toilet trained through the day, nappies at night.

Ask them heaps if they need to go, and sometimes even if they say no just take them.
If they do a wee, tell them to try for a second one. Most of the time I find they will do more
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:03     #41262
pxpx

excellent points all noted
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:54     #41263
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

One word: mattress protectors
Old 23rd October 2018, 11:55     #41264
Juju
get to da choppa

We're hippy parents that went more with toddler lead training. Kid no.1 was about 4 months off his 4th birthday. He'd shown a slight interest, but then we started to bride the little guy with a tick chart. 1 tick for wees, 2 for poos - 10 ticks and he gets a treat. As he was a bit older than 'normal' when we started training him, it was pretty quick - a few weeks. We just used the bribe system and nagged/told him to go every few hours.
As for nighttime, we just waited until he woke up with a dry nappy most nights, then just ditched them.

Child no.2, currently just over 3, went from nothing to doing wees and poo's in one afternoon, off his own bat. That was about 3 weeks ago, so he's still in nappies, but is going to the toilet about 50% of the time. He's pretty on to it, so has already leveraged the bribe system to his advantage.
Old 23rd October 2018, 13:15     #41265
blynk

Second child should be easier because they have an older sibling to copy.
Boy and girls can be different too.

@juju, how old was your child when they dropped the night nappies?
Old 23rd October 2018, 20:52     #41266
MadMax
Stuff

bought an old electronic typewriter off trademe. it was fun for the boy for about 10 minutes until the ribbon stopped spooling and sticking to the paper ;(
Old 24th October 2018, 10:19     #41267
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
Second child should be easier because they have an older sibling to copy.
Boy and girls can be different too.

@juju, how old was your child when they dropped the night nappies?
Yea - I'd apportion probably 70% of No.2's motivation to wanting to be like his brother and everyone else.

I think he was about 4y 3 months or so when we dropped night nappies? He has a night accident maybe once every 8 weeks or so. He had a spate of accidents when we came back from a holiday, probably due to the disruption. So we put him back in nappies for 2 or 3 nights just to be safe, but he's been fine since. Mattress protectors, like Ab said, are an absolute must.
Old 24th October 2018, 10:22     #41268
pxpx

Funnily enough as I was driving home yesterday afternoon, toilet training was the discussion on ZB (yea yea, I dont have a band expander and mai fm sucks).

Cue multiple boomers ringing up blithering on about the demise of the stay-at-home mother.
Old 24th October 2018, 10:34     #41269
Cyberbob

Cunning linguist

If they didn't fuck up the economy, maybe staying at home could be an option for those families.
Old 24th October 2018, 10:38     #41270
pxpx

If I'm not mistaken, in the 50s and 60s, kids were toilet trained directly from the womb!
Old 26th October 2018, 08:20     #41271
[Malks] Pixie

A good long(ish) read on Bruno Latour.

Trigger warning for those who worship science - talks about social construction, Sokal (briefly) and other stuff that may make you uncomfortable.

Plot twist - it's actually a defence of science as a field.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/25/m...r-science.html
Old 26th October 2018, 12:23     #41272
fixed_truth

One third of Kiwis drinking 'hazardously' their entire adult lives, research shows

Quote:
binge drinking – consuming five to six drinks at least once a week
U WOT M8?
Old 26th October 2018, 12:41     #41273
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
"(drinking) can also have negative effects on mental health issues such as depression and anxiety."
Duh, depression and anxiety is why we drink genious
Old 26th October 2018, 13:12     #41274
Lightspeed

To alcohol! The cause of... and solution to... all of life's problems.
Old 26th October 2018, 15:46     #41275
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Malks] Pixie
A good long(ish) read on Bruno Latour.

Trigger warning for those who worship science - talks about social construction, Sokal (briefly) and other stuff that may make you uncomfortable.

Plot twist - it's actually a defence of science as a field.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/25/m...r-science.html
I don't have the philosophical framework that Latour has... or even Ab for that matter. I'm certainly not a scientist. But to me science is not about creating facts. It's about discovering and checking facts. The current absurdist nonsense that Latour was the inadvertent father of is offensive, but also a logical extension of Latour's work - because it's how folks interpret what's written that counts... not just what is written, nor the assumed-but-not-written aspects.

Old 26th October 2018, 17:49     #41276
[Malks] Pixie

Yeah it took me so long to separate science as a methodology (which takes place under a set of controlled conditions to prove (or more often disprove) things) from the field of science; which is all the messy aspects that occur outside of the controlled conditions and rigorous thought (which include the communication of ideas and the political/economic aspects of science). For me the scientific method isn't about facts but one of the ways that we've learned how to create knowledge.

You're right about interpretations too - but that's less to do with science and more to do with media.

Anyway I mostly just linked it because you don't see much about Latour these days and it was one of the most accessible pieces I've seen on him.

[Oh and the current takes on this stuff aren't Absurdist, that would be stuff that stemmed from Albert Camus, who coincidentally kicked ass too]
Old 27th October 2018, 03:25     #41277
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
The European Court of Human Rights has ruled that defaming the Prophet Muhammad “goes beyond the permissible limits of an objective debate”
https://www.aa.com.tr/en/europe/defa...n-echr/1292823

Ruling

And just like that the Enlightenment ended. Oh well, we had a good run.
Old 27th October 2018, 14:57     #41278
Lightspeed

Two steps forward, one step back?
Old 28th October 2018, 18:46     #41279
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

https://spectator.us/illegal-mohammed-paedophile/
Old 29th October 2018, 08:46     #41280
pxpx

But we can still defame Jesus, right?