Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > The year of rugby
User Name
Password

Old 24th October 2011, 14:15     #121
Deadmeat

Brad Thorn mood check:

Old 24th October 2011, 14:22     #122
Baxton

the only thing I didnt like was watching tv1 they interviewed thierry when he got man of the match
"you played with heart, you put it all on the field, you were the man of the match and it showed........but it wasn't enough"

his face was like, I know you fkn cun4t, ta for rubbing it in.
Old 24th October 2011, 14:25     #123
CCS
Stunt Pants

Wasn't it Ian Smith that asked him that? He belongs to Sky, so he would've ended up on all channels.
Old 24th October 2011, 14:31     #124
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Gotta feel for that French sub half-back. Making your international debut with 8 minutes left in the WC final, then knocking on with your second touch
Old 24th October 2011, 14:34     #125
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Wasn't it Ian Smith that asked him that? He belongs to Sky, so he would've ended up on all channels.
Apparently got his name wrong too - referred to him as Thierry Henry, previous French captain.
Old 24th October 2011, 14:47     #126
Pepsi
Konnichiwa, bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by p01s0n
PLEASE tell me someone got a gif of the slo-mo replay of this from behind cause that was some lollers lollers shit
The only shot from behind didn't show the moment he fell over.. this will have to do..

Old 24th October 2011, 14:48     #127
Macca@Work

It was a bit of an ugly game but the ABs did what was required to win.
Good on Donald too..I'm quite happy to eat crow as he stepped up to the mark full of self confidence and belief.

And in the immortal words of Fitzy.. "Fool crudut " to France for showing up on the day..
Old 24th October 2011, 15:30     #128
Cyberbob

I knew the French were in a bad mood when a player quickly kicked the ball away just as McCaw (I think) was reaching down to grab it for a line out.
Just to be a dick.
Old 24th October 2011, 15:55     #129
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Yeah, a shame about the kicks, but Weepu still delivered. Wasn't it his awesome kick into touch that set us up for our try?

The French were awesome, the ABs were awesomer.
Wasn't it Weepu who kicked it right into a frenchman's hands before they scored their try?
Old 24th October 2011, 16:07     #130
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Piri had a below-average game, but who gives a fuck. For three games he'd led the haka, run the backline as de-facto first five, made the kicks as de-facto Dan Carter, had to play better than ever before as All Blacks halfback, and been the nation's good luck charm. We wouldn't have even been in the Final without Piri, so big up that man. It started to look like it obviously wasn't his night so he got pulled off but there's no dishonour in that.
Old 24th October 2011, 16:11     #131
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Corpse
Wasn't it Weepu who kicked it right into a frenchman's hands before they scored their try?
Yup. Was it the try that lost us the game? Nope.
Old 24th October 2011, 17:04     #132
ZoSo

Man that first lineout kind of set the tone. Can only imagine what the game might have been like had they won that and set up well. Perhaps a few less heart palpitations, that's for sure
Amazing effort in the last 10 odd to not give away a penalty. Huge discipline.

Thank fuck!

Now let's give the Kiwis the same love in the Four Nations. They'll need it!
Old 24th October 2011, 19:41     #133
blynk

Weepu had a pretty bad kciking game last week. It was only the week before that he was on fire.

I would like to thank alcohol last night. I was drunk enough not to be stressed. Now I need to watch the game again.
Old 24th October 2011, 20:18     #134
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Has anyone got a recording of the game for download? Acrossthetasman has a 1080 for download but it's the Australian Fox broadcast, and I'm not subjecting myself to that shit. A Maori TV version would be ace.
Old 24th October 2011, 21:11     #135
Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Has anyone got a recording of the game for download? Acrossthetasman has a 1080 for download but it's the Australian Fox broadcast, and I'm not subjecting myself to that shit. A Maori TV version would be ace.
Yeah I would love a Maori TV copy.
Old 24th October 2011, 21:18     #136
xor

Seeing Brad Thorn get all emotional made me a bit upset tbh. Felt like reaching out and saying 'Hey mang, you did good'
Old 24th October 2011, 21:37     #137
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I'll never forget watching the 2000 NRL final between the Roosters and the Broncos at Homebush Stadium. A flashy Sydney team versus a hard Queensland team, you couldn't have had a more Aussie event. The game was over, the Broncos having been victorious in large part due to a fucking Terminator named Brad Thorn.

The TV crew were in his face after the hooter to get victory thoughts. He'd announced his retirement from the Broncos and the interviewer wanted to know why he was leaving. Everyone wanted to know, and every spectator in the stadium - and, I'm sure, in TV land - paused to look at the big screen and see why this fucking unstoppable football machine was quitting Bennett's Broncos.

Over the stadium PA came Thorn's voice:

"Ever since I was a boy it has been my dream to play for the All Blacks."

My heart just about leapt out of my chest with pride.

He didn't have a dream transition to union at first and I know he had second thoughts. But he put in the hard yards and now he'll go down in history as one of the greatest of the All Blacks.
Old 24th October 2011, 22:37     #138
blur^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrtigo
also, i think we are forgetting A PROP SCORED OUR TRY ON THE WING

err what try was that?
the try i watched was a set move off the lineout, it was tapped down to woodcock who ran into the gap
Old 24th October 2011, 22:52     #139
Erazhure

im guessing he has no idea. and thinks if you are close to the sideline, you are on the wing. hahah.
Old 24th October 2011, 23:10     #140
zeekiorage

I'm not sure if it was Ian Smith on Sky that said "cometh the hour cometh the man" when Donald came on as a substitute and I thought what the hell is he thinking. Then Donald came out and kicked the penalty that won us the match. The man indeed.

GG ABs.
Old 24th October 2011, 23:24     #141
ZoSo

Go the TAB chicken.
Old 24th October 2011, 23:34     #142
Heresy
yawn.

I've got the 1080 of the Australian Fox broadcast at home. I'll report back on whether the commentating was better quality than the ITV junk I've been subjected to over here in the UK. I'm pretty sure it's going to be like choosing between AIDS and cancer.
Old 24th October 2011, 23:38     #143
A Corpse
talkative lurker

For one glorious moment, all the people in this country were family, were friends.

Now, let us get back to robbing random strangers and beating our wives and kids.
Old 25th October 2011, 00:01     #144
[WanG] Wandarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
Apparently got his name wrong too - referred to him as Thierry Henry, previous French captain.
Yeah, of the fucking French soccer team!
Old 25th October 2011, 01:07     #145
surreal

Oh, so proud of them, and thankful that they could do it for us, and for themselves, finally.

The english commentary (ITV? with Fitzy) on in the pub here in Switzerland was atrocious.. but I gather plenty of English agree with it and are calling out the refs performance as the reason for the win.
Most in the pub were cheering for the AB's but not whinging at the commentary and swearing like me, so perhaps they couldn't understand it or something.

Fact is:
Brad thorn is the man,
The crowd won it for us too,
The french were fired up and full of dodgy but successful tactics,
The AB's finally found the maturity for the killer defensive passage and then beautiful pick-and-go play to secure the win.
The french threw the pool match just to see our tactics (watch the footage of the french coach box)
Thank god for Richie Mccaw
ABs deserved the win,
France did not - 24 years of history was on their side, and yet the AB's had the right play at the right time and held them out, to earn that trophy.

Boooya
Old 25th October 2011, 01:33     #146
[WanG] Wandarah

Yes, the ref favouring NZ is a common narrative amongst heaps of NH commentators, fans and pundits. Some go as far as to say it's the only reason that we won. I am a) not really sure he did and b) fuck off.

A lot of people are calling the game as though the French potential had become a reality - it did not, because NZ did not let it become so.

My personal thoughts, like well, most everyone - is that the French threw everything at us - we had no conductor, we knuckled down and ground it out.

Then we teabagged the Northern Hemisphere.
Old 25th October 2011, 01:35     #147
Savage

Wandarah, if your post was a tangible entity, I would give it a high five.
Old 25th October 2011, 03:29     #148
doppelgänger of someone

The more I think about it, the more I think it was a great win. Not in terms of quality, but in terms of mental fortitude. When things don't go their way, people tend to sleepwalk, drop their heads, then roll over and die. The shock makes your mind go blank, and choke. I've seen enough of that happening from personal experience.

The hard thing to do is to knuckle down and stop the rot. It is also easier said than done. You can prepare before hand for the shock all you want, but when the shock actually hits THAT is the moment of truth.

The French showed that they have that mental fortitude in their game with Wales. They looked like they shited their pants but still managed to hang on. The ABs showed in the final that they have that fortitude as well: after the French try, THAT was the moment of truth for the ABs. The truth is that they refused to roll over. They matched the French and ground the French attack to a halt with SWEAT and BLOOD (e.g. see Richie McCaw's battered face).
Old 25th October 2011, 09:15     #149
Cinclant

Best Eden Park crowd ever - better than the Ireland v Australia game.

First half was comedy central; rallying all the female fans around us, giving instructions on how to chant properly "Allez les Bleus" v "Four More Years", smash back 4 Heinekens in 20 minuites basically. Full of confidence and wonder. Even when Donald came on I felt OK. He got one of the biggest cheers of the night - was awesome.

Second half had my entire fist in my mouth for 40 minutes.

Best feeling ever when we won. More relief than anything else

All my photos came out blurred - thanks Heineken D:
Old 25th October 2011, 09:29     #150
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by surreal
The french threw the pool match just to see our tactics (watch the footage of the french coach box)
I'm not gonna go back and watch it.. can you provide more info? Intrigued!
Old 25th October 2011, 09:52     #151
Vrtigo
Marginal Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erazhure
im guessing he has no idea. and thinks if you are close to the sideline, you are on the wing. hahah.
remembered incorrectly, damn intoxicants. after reviewing footage, i retract that statement.
Old 25th October 2011, 09:53     #152
Vrtigo
Marginal Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
Weepu had a pretty bad kciking game last week. It was only the week before that he was on fire.

I would like to thank alcohol last night. I was drunk enough not to be stressed. Now I need to watch the game again.
who cares about his kicking game, hes a legend on the field the majority of the time.
Old 25th October 2011, 10:49     #153
blur^

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/5...in-final-Quinn

wtf? guess that explains the lack of shaking hands and shit at the end
Old 25th October 2011, 12:58     #154
Cyberbob

A mate made $500 from a $10 bet that neither team would score over 10.
Old 25th October 2011, 13:20     #155
Deadmeat

As i was discussing with someone this morning, the TAB must have been laughing with all the AB +20 bets.
Old 25th October 2011, 22:49     #156
Heresy
yawn.

Conclusive evidence of Rougerie eye gouging and headbutting McCaw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hneJ8Ws8Yuc
Old 25th October 2011, 23:41     #157
CCS
Stunt Pants

Ooh SHIT, he got in there twice, the bugger! Pretty deep looking gouge, as well. The knee in McCaw's head I can forgive because it can be explained as something that happens in a ruck when there are limbs akimbo, but two gouges and a headbutt is nasty.
Old 26th October 2011, 00:01     #158
Heresy
yawn.

Yeah very dirty play. Dunno what happens from here, pretty sure it would've required a complaint from the ABs within the citing window for it to be acted upon. He deserves a long suspension.
Old 26th October 2011, 00:11     #159
JERI

Better yet, kick a bomb to Rougerie and have Ma'a Nonu line him up at full speed.
Old 26th October 2011, 00:50     #160
Genesis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heresy
Conclusive evidence of Rougerie eye gouging and headbutting McCaw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hneJ8Ws8Yuc
Cunt!