Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > The year of rugby
User Name
Password

Old 29th June 2012, 11:21     #81
Baxton

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
lol, the media wouldn't report on it if there wasn't any public interest, broski. I am hearing the same remarks about SBW as I heard when Carlos Spencer was in his prime, I think people are just jelly
yea I wondered if it was just tall poppy as to why I am so average on him. then he became the nz heavy weight boxing champ after facing a couple of drug addicts and cripples.

sure it was mostly his manager but still.....man

but like everyone says here his rugby is pretty good this year. hopefully if he bails and then comes back for rwc he dosnt need another year of bedding in (during the rwc).
Old 9th July 2012, 13:02     #82
blur^

Old 9th July 2012, 13:34     #83
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

If the league switch gets confirmed the earliest he could play again in New Zealand would be 2014. With the current rules he would have to play at least one match for either NZ Maori, an ITM Cup or Super Rugby side before he is eligible for the All Blacks again.

To be honest I'd be amazed if he was ever an All Black again even if he had a burning desire too. Within the next two years Nonu will fade, Kahui will become the incumbent centre and a new breed of second five eighths will have emerged who have put in the hard yards.

The only way SBW could ever usurp them is if he is the undisputed #1 in his position because even the All Black coaches are smart enough to know that no matter what he is only a short term commodity. So 2014 if he's keen he'll have to sign his first 2 year contract since he quit the bulldogs or the coaches won't even give him the time of day. (Why let him into the All Blacks in 2014 if he won't confirm for the following world cup year?)
Old 9th July 2012, 16:16     #84
Genesis

Sad to see him go as he was starting to become a beast. I hope he doesn't return though, I'd rather NZ rugby invest in someone that has a bit more loyalty.

Ironic coming from a kiwi living in Aus.
Old 9th July 2012, 16:21     #85
Vrtigo
Marginal Poster

to be fair, hes only going to be in good rugby shape for so long. i dont blame him for shopping round for the best offer while he can. whats he going to do afterwards?
Old 9th July 2012, 16:29     #86
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Gotta make hay why the sun shines, don't want to spend your twilight years shilling for dodgy finance companies on the TV.
Old 9th July 2012, 16:35     #87
Deadmeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vrtigo
to be fair, hes only going to be in good rugby shape for so long. i dont blame him for shopping round for the best offer while he can. whats he going to do afterwards?
Sure I don't blame him, but i'm not sorry to see him go.
Old 10th July 2012, 11:32     #88
blur^

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/...-Roosters-deal

maybe he aint money bill williams after all
Old 13th July 2012, 11:59     #89
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Interesting comment in today's Herald - if he really is Money Bill, what are the chance of him switching allegiences and lining up to play Origin next year for NSW? The match payments and exposure there would be higher than playing for the Kiwis. I'm sure the Aussies could find some way to twist the eligibility rules.
Old 10th October 2013, 09:47     #90
fixed_truth

Chris Rattue: Day of shame for NZ rugby league

Quote:
This is a day of shame for Kiwis league. In my view, the most reprehensible New Zealand sporting decision was the Olympic committee's selection of child killer Soulan Pownceby, a manipulative scumbag of the highest order, but this SBW/Harris situation is a terrific candidate for the distant silver.
Old 10th October 2013, 10:54     #91
pxpx

Rattue, not even once.
Old 10th October 2013, 14:02     #92
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladin
Interesting comment in today's Herald - if he really is Money Bill, what are the chance of him switching allegiences and lining up to play Origin next year for NSW?
If rugby league is a professional sport it needs to harden the fuck up and start acting like it.
Old 11th October 2013, 17:51     #93
ZoSo

Onya League (he's staying.. for now)
http://www.nrl.com.au/sbw-to-stay-wi...8/default.aspx