NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > The year of rugby
User Name
Password

Old 29th August 2011, 16:59     #41
A Corpse
talkative lurker

People still want to think of the ABs as representing some kind of heroic, for-the-love-of-the-game, pride of their country kind of team.

Not that they can't be that and get paid for it, of course...
Old 29th August 2011, 17:40     #42
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
He hasn't signed yet, he's been fucked around for the last few months by the NZRU & Coca-Cola.
So that has been the real reason for it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Corpse
Anyone who thinks he wanted to be an All Black for anything other than marketability is naive. I'm assuming he would have liked to have been in the RWC-winning team just to be able to ask for more Euros but hey, them's the breaks.
After reading the stories today, I agree.
I was happy for them to fast track him into the team to find out how he went, but considering how he didn't want to stay in Christchurch, and can't commit to staying in NZ, I would drop him.
He will be off to Europe for 3 years, and will then try and come back and make the next team.
Old 30th August 2011, 10:07     #43
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Yeah, he promised he would play here but won't commit to a team until after world cup giving the nz franchise that he chooses only 6 days to budget him into their squad, pretty unfair on everyone really. Do you save 200K of your budget just in case and end up not getting him? Shit house. I don't think he cares, he'll have his trophy world cup all black shirt framed finishing off an impressive CV enabling him to get the highest paying job anywhere he wants in the world.
Old 30th August 2011, 10:31     #44
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Staying in New Zealand until then and playing the next Super 15 season with the Blues or the Chiefs is an option but he has made it clear he wants to play alongside Wallabies five-eighth and friend Quade Cooper.
Dear Sonny Bill,

Look, NZ rugby fans appreciate your ability and we accord you the respect due to anyone who pulls on the jersey worn by our childhood heroes. We want to like you. We really do. It's a world cup year. Right now we want to hear that you love playing alongside the guy in the black shirt on your left and the guy in the black shirt on your right. So please, STFU.
Old 30th August 2011, 11:44     #45
Macca@Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Hell, anyone would think rugby had gone professional!
Anyone except Sonny.
Old 31st August 2011, 12:11     #46
PhX

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr selfdestruct
impressive CV enabling him to get the highest paying job anywhere he wants in the world.
THAT! What a wanker, I suppose we all new it... he wanted the world cup (if we win) on his CV so he can fuck off overseas and claim the big coin. Waste of space, blue and chiefs should fill those spots and stick it to him.
Old 1st September 2011, 14:26     #47
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

I dont think they'll have a choice, they'll have to pick a squad without him, he cant wait till 23 October. I reckon he prob will play for an Aussie team cos they don't have to name their teams as soon as we do.
Old 1st September 2011, 15:27     #48
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhX
THAT! What a wanker, I suppose we all new it... he wanted the world cup (if we win) on his CV so he can fuck off overseas and claim the big coin. Waste of space, blue and chiefs should fill those spots and stick it to him.
Have you thought perhaps the NZRU might also be at play? I mean they could have contracted him for longer than the RWC if the money was right.

Seriously, it's a professional sport. People sign contracts, nigga's gotta get paid. s'aight?
Old 1st September 2011, 20:47     #49
Macca@Work

"Have you thought perhaps the NZRU might also be at play? I mean they could have contracted him for longer than the RWC if the money was right.

Seriously, it's a professional sport. Sonny sign contracts then breaks them 2 months later, nigga's gotta get paid. s'aight?"

Fixed.
Old 2nd September 2011, 10:12     #50
xor

*golf clap*
Old 2nd September 2011, 15:45     #51
PhX

Yeah i agree, hes got to get paid.... so why doesnt he just fuck off over seas and presumably earn more?
Old 2nd September 2011, 15:46     #52
A Corpse
talkative lurker

'cos he wants "World Cup winning All Black" on his CV to earn even more.
Old 2nd September 2011, 21:46     #53
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Corpse
'cos he wants "World Cup winning All Black" on his CV to earn even more.
And that would boost his paypacket even more. Especially if he plays in some of those final games.
Old 31st October 2011, 16:57     #54
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Chiefs it is!
Old 31st October 2011, 16:58     #55
blur^

good boy, staying in NZ

what the haters gonna say now
Old 31st October 2011, 17:03     #56
fixed_truth

Yeah fuck the haters. "Is it coz I'm black" haha

The Chiefs looking good for next year. I hope they smash the canes.
Old 31st October 2011, 17:06     #57
ZoSo

WTF Code hookups are stink au.. they said they had good word on Auckland months back.
Still, good on him. Would love to know the numbers.
Old 31st October 2011, 17:18     #58
vorlon

good on him!
Old 31st October 2011, 17:38     #59
BoyWonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by blur^
good boy, staying in NZ

what the haters gonna say now
That it is a matter of time before he breaks that contract
Old 31st October 2011, 22:29     #60
JERI

Good news. This should spice up the competition next year a bit.
Old 1st November 2011, 08:46     #61
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Yeah Chiefs shaping up a fairly good side.
Old 25th June 2012, 14:17     #62
Phrack

So SBW has decided his 2013 path, but nobody is yet allowed to release the details. Although everything seems to be leaning towards a Japan/NRL combo.
Old 25th June 2012, 14:26     #63
blur^

with how well hes playing in the chiefs and the ABs, be a damn shame if he leaves
Old 26th June 2012, 18:42     #64
fixed_truth

The wireless is reporting some games in Japan then a stint with the Roosters (with the odd boxing match here and there) but back to rugby in time for the next world cup!

I guess when you're as good as SB you can do what fuck ya want.
Old 27th June 2012, 09:22     #65
Baxton

is he really that good though? only all black to get a yellow card during the world cup?

take out the media frenzy he provokes and would he be so in demand?
Old 27th June 2012, 11:55     #66
xor

I think every professional player has had a brain explosion during their career, I think even Richie McCaw dropped the ball on his debut.

The question is, what makes you think he isn't that good?
Old 27th June 2012, 12:06     #67
blur^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baxton
is he really that good though? only all black to get a yellow card during the world cup?

take out the media frenzy he provokes and would he be so in demand?
do you watch rugby?
or are you just one of those people that havnt watched a single super rugby game this year or any of the tests and just see stuff like 'SBW gets yellow card in world cup' and assume he is over rated

he is having a brilliant season with the chiefs and if you doubt his credentials at test level, go watch game 3 against ireland
Old 27th June 2012, 13:45     #68
Phrack

He understands the game now. He's been consistent for the Chiefs and stood out for the AB's in the recent tests. Don't think he has peaked yet as a rugby player either. Just not sure if he has a 'when the flashy shit don't work' game plan.

That yellow was stupid, but it didn't endanger the result. SBW was still a bit fresh and his go-to smashedhimbro shoulder tackle technique came out. Israel Dagg's yellow in the second test vs Ireland was very stupid, and could have cost us that game. Is he a bad player? Not by a long shot.

Nonu probably got more yellow cards and did more stupid things per game for 5+ seasons than SBW has in his short rugby career.

Still dislike how he just switches around what he does, and people create double standards for him. He is a very good player, but replaceable.
Old 27th June 2012, 15:17     #69
Baxton

Quote:
do you watch rugby?
or are you just one of those people that havnt watched a single super rugby game this year or any of the tests and just see stuff like 'SBW gets yellow card in world cup' and assume he is over rated

he is having a brilliant season with the chiefs and if you doubt his credentials at test level, go watch game 3 against ireland
yep but I dont follow the chiefs.(also I have missed a big chunk of games this year due to isky issues with orcon) Don't get me wrong, I think hes good, and certainly he shone in the ireland games.

But you can't claim someones credentials in a game where the back line had free run against a squad that applied 0 pressure.

sure he has yet to peak, sure he could be one of the rugby greats. I guess my point is would he get the lee-way he gets if his marketing team wasn't pushing the SBW brand down everyones throat? If you didnt just get a player but also this media attention. Hes good but is he really that good (up until now) and is the potential of how good he will be worth all teh BS?
Old 27th June 2012, 15:20     #70
xor

How bout you tell us why you think he may not be worth it?
Old 27th June 2012, 16:30     #71
fixed_truth

I think his hype/crowd bringing status are relevant when it comes to super 15, NRL etc; but when it comes to the Abs (& who to take to the WC) this means little.
Old 27th June 2012, 16:53     #72
CCS
Stunt Pants

Did you even see the last ABs game?
Old 27th June 2012, 17:03     #73
fixed_truth

I mean regarding selection. The Ab selectors won't take into consideration that he brings bigger crowds and with that more revenue.
Old 27th June 2012, 17:16     #74
CCS
Stunt Pants

And you say that doesn't matter when it comes to an All Blacks game... so... what, on that basis he shouldn't be picked for the All Blacks?
Old 27th June 2012, 17:21     #75
Phrack

Test 3 was a joke. The blues would have won that game.

SBW first made the AB's based all on hype. This year he is actually playing well enough, but if he isn't hanging around he isn't worth the time.
Old 27th June 2012, 17:22     #76
fixed_truth

Quote:
And you say that doesn't matter when it comes to an All Blacks game... so... what, on that basis he shouldn't be picked for the All Blacks?
Nah I think the Abs pick on form and his impressive form means he's the best player for the position.

edit: Ahh I see, I was responding to baxton not xor

Last edited by fixed_truth : 27th June 2012 at 17:23.
Old 27th June 2012, 22:03     #77
blur^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrack
Test 3 was a joke. The blues would have won that game.
thats a big call, id put money on romania against the blues atm

and fuck i am gonna lol if SBW's decides to stay in NZ for another year
all the haters are gonna be like.....fucking SBW bet he chases the money next next year...
Old 27th June 2012, 22:16     #78
Phrack

I'll be glad if he stays, good for NZ rugby. Doesn't change the fact he has PR like similar to LeBron's 'The Decision'

If he is staying in NZ, why not just say it?
Old 29th June 2012, 10:27     #79
blur^

cause his cock sucking manager loves the spotlight
Old 29th June 2012, 11:09     #80
xor

Quote:
cause his cock sucking manager loves the spotlight
lol, the media wouldn't report on it if there wasn't any public interest, broski. I am hearing the same remarks about SBW as I heard when Carlos Spencer was in his prime, I think people are just jelly