Old 31st August 2010, 14:53     #41
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr selfdestruct
Phx: Huh? Auckland? Who cares?
Old 1st September 2010, 14:14     #42
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

SBW will play his first game in the ITM Cup off the bench this week. About frickin' time. Not a lot of room for him to get much game time between now and the announcement of the End of Year tour squad. He can participate in 8 games at the most if Canterbury play in the final and most of those appearances will be off the bench if he even gets on the field. Crotty and Fruen would have a mortage on the 12 and 13 positions I imagine. A lot of players are going to feel hard done by if SBW makes the end of year tour cut I reckon, he won't be popular :P
Old 1st September 2010, 14:29     #43
xor

I really hope the selectors don't pick him. There is so much talent in the midfield , it to me would be stupid to try something like this 12months out from the RWC.
Old 1st September 2010, 15:11     #44
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

It's a foregone conclusion I think buddy, I'd say he has an 80% chance of making it even if he plays only 100 minutes of ITM Cup rugby this season.
Old 1st September 2010, 16:36     #45
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr selfdestruct
A lot of players are going to feel hard done by if SBW makes the end of year tour cut I reckon, he won't be popular :P
Fuck them. Sonny is a beast who's skills and athleticism are matched by no one.
Old 1st September 2010, 16:40     #46
xor

Where will he have more of an impact? 12 or 13?
Old 2nd September 2010, 08:45     #47
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

12 is more for a player with brains, good cut out ball, can kick territory/grubbers/chips etc. 13 should be able to break the line more often and draw defenders.

He's a 13 IMO. He's not a Canterbury/Crusaders 12 that's for sure, the above is definitely their mold for a 12.
Old 3rd September 2010, 15:56     #48
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

will be watching tonight to see how he goes
Old 3rd September 2010, 17:00     #49
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

As will the whole world. I'm hoping its real close up to the 60 minute mark at which point Penney will feel pressured to put SBW on despite not having a good lead. He'll bring him on and hopefully canterbury will go to tatters, a few knock ons from SBW and a yellow card for a shoulder charge for good measure!
Old 3rd September 2010, 17:30     #50
Deadmeat

My money is on him being injured within 2 minutes of hitting the field and being out for the season.
Old 3rd September 2010, 21:00     #51
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Well, SBW is on now. I am waiting to be amazed.
Old 3rd September 2010, 21:30     #52
Deadmeat

I'm mostly getting annoyed at watching cantab cheat, players lying in rucks, blocking, heaps of offside, throwing the ball away at lineouts.
Old 3rd September 2010, 22:18     #53
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

he played pretty well
Old 4th September 2010, 11:17     #54
fixed_truth

Thumbs up

Quote:
Verdict
Solid debut from Williams. He made four tackles (including one try-saver), delivered four passes, two off-loads, made two runs, grabbed one intercept, conceded one turnover (from the supposed forward pass) and made one shoddy kick.
However it's his presence in the backline as a decoy that shows his real value. Like the New Zealand public, the BOP defence only had eyes for him and this freed up Fruean for his brilliant final try.
So is he an All Black in waiting? Most certainly, but at this stage - probably from the bench.
http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-news/stalkin...lliams-3759876
Old 4th September 2010, 13:27     #55
Deadmeat

I don't mean to say that other teams don't push the laws, they absolutely do, and perhaps i'm biased somehow but it really seems that cantab push this further than any other team. On the other hand it may have just been the ref who was the same joker who missed half the calls in the wgtn/north game.
Old 4th September 2010, 18:03     #56
Deadmeat

Credit to manawatu, they brought their A game and got their reward, wellington was full of butter fingers this week. +1 for Vinny Munro, much better than that new ref.
Old 5th September 2010, 14:53     #57
xor

I reckon SBW would be more suited as a 12 as he is one of the best offloaders in the game.
Old 6th September 2010, 11:13     #58
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimp-X
Well, SBW is on now. I am waiting to be amazed.
the wife's youngest daughter managed to get his signature, so she's pretty stoked - makes up for shaking ground events
Old 6th September 2010, 12:31     #59
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Classic choking Wellington performance. They pulled it off without needing Nonu to contribute to half their handling errors too, that's pretty special. NO CHANCE of making the semi finals without Savea and Gear when they take off for Commonwealth games training.
Old 9th September 2010, 11:51     #60
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Quote:
Sonny Bill Williams will make his first start for Canterbury after being named in the lineup to face Northland in Whangarei on Saturday....

...In the backline Williams replaces Crotty, who sprained his left foot again against Bay of Plenty
This is his chance. GL
Old 11th September 2010, 17:31     #61
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

http://www.vipstand.net/watch/4904/1...anterbury.html
Old 11th September 2010, 17:48     #62
badassmofo

Stream isn't working for me, know where I can find another? Have looked around myp2p and justintv but can't find anything :-(
Old 11th September 2010, 17:51     #63
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Old 11th September 2010, 18:17     #64
badassmofo

Cheers, might just stick with radio sport for now. Sounds like a good game.
Old 17th September 2010, 20:35     #65
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

http://www.vipstand.net/watch/5577/1...-auckland.html

link for Manawatu vs Auckland
Old 23rd September 2010, 22:17     #66
fixed_truth

Holy crap

Holy shit what a nail biter! Auckland just gave it away at the end.
Old 23rd September 2010, 22:25     #67
silva^

Makes me proud to be a Southlander that's for sure.
Old 23rd September 2010, 23:15     #68
Deadmeat

Awesome game, call of the night: "Tim Shadbolts going to be the most nervous man in the park if that man puts his name up for mayor" (along those lines)
Old 24th September 2010, 00:05     #69
silva^

JASON RUTLEDGE MAN LOVE !
Old 24th September 2010, 00:07     #70
GiBs

haha there were some great calls in that game! Southland represent!!

How is Rutledge not in an all blacks squad at least? honestly what the shit is corey flynn in there for compared to this guy?
Old 24th September 2010, 09:11     #71
fixed_truth

Yeah go the Cabbage for bolter for the end of year tour!

I still can't believe that Auckland had most of the territory and possession but crumbled under intense pressure while the Stags manned up. Next up Canterbury.
Old 24th September 2010, 09:12     #72
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Yeah I don't think they can ignore Rutledge now. He had a massive Super 14 and everyone thought he was in then, now he's having an even bigger ITM Cup, they simply must take him, no question. I bet on exact score 9 - 6........ but to Auckland!!! dammit!!
Old 25th September 2010, 16:20     #73
Deadmeat

Ref's having a shocker so far...
Old 8th October 2010, 07:56     #74
StN
I have detailed files

Dear Tim,

Thanks for looking after our stuff - the quakes are subsiding now, so we'd like it back. See you on Saturday.

Cheers,

Bob.
Old 8th October 2010, 09:47     #75
fixed_truth

Bob's boys are definitely in good form atm. Will be the toughest challenge yet for the real southern men.

Hope the snow is early
Old 10th October 2010, 00:21     #76
fixed_truth

Awesome game to watch. GG Canterbury. On the bright side I'm glad the Shield stays in the South Island.
FU Auckland ;P
Old 10th October 2010, 01:56     #77
uTired2
wOOp wOOp!

Yeah, awesome to get the shield back again.

Great fend by Sonny Bill, helped to offset the ball he dropped (maybe twice?).

I actually wouldn't have been that unhappy to loose to Southland, but I'm glad we have our log of wood back
Old 10th October 2010, 09:18     #78
Lord Pidgington

Question

Anyone else stroking their cock to the Naki? I'm a Welly boy but I love watching these fellas work hard an nab points.

Sure ain't as good on paper as the boys down here, but play with a lot more spirit. I'll be cheering them on all the way (now that Welly's hopes have died with Hosea Gear).
Old 10th October 2010, 12:46     #79

Welcome back to the Log of Wood.
Old 10th October 2010, 13:47     #80
StN
I have detailed files

And back on topic, welcome back to the Shield!