Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > The year of rugby
User Name
Password

Old 12th July 2010, 14:40     #41
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
I think our scrum and line out is going to take an absolute spanking but we'll win it at the breakdown providing Nonu and Rockocoko down isolate themselves.
Dayum, consider myself served. That Mr Henry guy is pretty good
Old 12th July 2010, 15:45     #42
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

I just re read that a few times => "we'll win it at the breakdown providing Nonu and Rockocoko down isolate themselves"

I still don't know what the fuck you're talking about, what do the 2nd five and the wing have anything to do with us 'winning at the break down' ?

aaaaaaaaanyway.......
Old 12th July 2010, 15:49     #43
xor

Lack of support from a line break or running into a gap where there won't be support.
Old 13th July 2010, 14:14     #44
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Interesting, stick with Kirchner at fullback and Olivier at 12, only enforced changes to forward pack. Should win the 2nd Test too especially if they keep De Villiers on the wing as planned here.

Springboks: Zane Kirchner, Jean de Villiers, Jaque Fourie, Wynand Oliver, Bryan Habana, Morne Steyn, Ricky Januarie, Pierre Spies, Francois Louw, Schalk Burger, Victor Matfield, Danie Rossouw, CJ van der Linde, John Smit (captain), Gurthro Steenkamp.

Reserves: Chiliboy Ralepelle, BJ Botha, Andries Bekker, Ryan Kankowski, Ruan Pienaar, Butch James, Gio Aplon.
Old 13th July 2010, 16:42     #45
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr selfdestruct
Interesting, stick with Kirchner at fullback and Olivier at 12, only enforced changes to forward pack. Should win the 2nd Test too especially if they keep De Villiers on the wing as planned here.
Clarify. ABs will win, or SA will win
Old 13th July 2010, 20:44     #46
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

"win 2nd test too" implies AB win
Old 13th July 2010, 22:51     #47
blynk

Yes, but the subject of the sentence is the Boks, both before & after.
Old 14th July 2010, 14:01     #48
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

I get the feeling this match will be a much closer contest though, Boks might even win the first half but the All Blacks should be too strong again. I'm hoping Guildford gets the nod ahead of Ranger!
Old 15th July 2010, 09:52     #49
xor

Ranger it is!
Old 15th July 2010, 10:03     #50
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Interesting move from Henry to start Ranger and leave Guildford out of the 22 completely when his Tri Nations 1 selections were based entirely on experience. You would have thought if he'd continued in the same vein that Guildford would have been an automatic starter and he probably thought so too, he'll be absolutely gutted and to add salt to the would Dagg is covering the back 3 instead of him on the bench.
Old 15th July 2010, 13:51     #51
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

My biggest worry is Ranger's safety under the high ball, if he shows any shakiness he'll be targetted hard core although I imagine he has already been targetted now.
Old 15th July 2010, 16:49     #52
fixed_truth

I'd say there's a lot of pressure on the boys going into this weeks game. Last week set the bar pretty high performance wise. This is a good thing for world cup prep though. so we don't choke
Old 15th July 2010, 17:27     #53
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

I'm looking forward to Weepu starting, first time for him in 20 months. I wish it was Saturday already!

BRING IT ON YOU KAFFA CARNTS :> <3
Old 15th July 2010, 22:38     #54
xor

Quote:
Interesting move from Henry to start Ranger and leave Guildford out of the 22 completely when his Tri Nations 1 selections were based entirely on experience. You would have thought if he'd continued in the same vein that Guildford would have been an automatic starter and he probably thought so too, he'll be absolutely gutted and to add salt to the would Dagg is covering the back 3 instead of him on the bench.
x2. I wouldn't have thought this was the best thing to do 12months out from the RWC
Old 16th July 2010, 08:43     #55
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Weepu was very good when he came on last week, he racked up 3 times as many fantasy points as Cowan in a third of the time too which has to be good :P I think Cowan clears the ball quicker and has a real flat long distance dive pass which seems to be his trade mark, that pass produced Janes try in Wales 2, hard to do better than that.

I read that Ranger beat EVERYONE in EVERY fitness test this week so the selectors felt they had to give him a crack. They haven't pulled a stunt like this since Toeava's shock selection in 06.

Poor Zac. Publicly said he's going to concentrate on the Magpies and then gets recalled by the AB's and THEN doesn't get selected! Must be so disruptive to your thought processes.
Old 16th July 2010, 09:18     #56
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Just thought I'd share the wealth, I put $15 on Hurricanes 1st Try Scorer last week at $2.50. This week with Weepu starting they have 4 Hurricanes starters in the back line and the odds have dropped to $2.10, still an awfully good chance that either Weepu, Nonu, Jane or Smith will score first. Last week I hedged it with Rokocoko to score 1st too for $5 so I had every position in the backline covered except Fullback, 1st Five and Halfback.

Super Francise of 1st NZ Try Scorer
No.

Selection
Odds
1 Hurricanes 2.10
2 Blues 3.40
3 Crusaders 3.80
4 Chiefs 12.00
5 Highlanders 35.00
Old 17th July 2010, 19:44     #57
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Jane for 1st try.
Old 17th July 2010, 22:21     #58
JERI

Israel Dagg!
Old 17th July 2010, 23:14     #59
CCS
Stunt Pants

Weepu had a good game, wonder if he'll start next time?
Old 17th July 2010, 23:52     #60
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Weepu had a good game, wonder if he'll start next time?
Weepu was on another level. He's easily a better choice than Cowan, IMO.
Old 18th July 2010, 00:11     #61
fixed_truth

Yep Weepu went from 'backup half' to 'who's the man?'. Richie had a blinder too. Ab's smashed he boks two weeks in a row!

If the world cup was this year we would own any team
Old 18th July 2010, 00:16     #62
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
If the world cup was this year we would own any team
Quiet, you'll jinx us. Any talk about how well we'll do at the world cup before we get to the world cup is basically a jinx. Even once the world cup has commenced I don't want to hear anything other than "aw yeah nah, playing alright eh."
Old 18th July 2010, 00:36     #63
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Don't think I've ever seen Carter miss so many. Imagine how much pressue Weepu was under to get that kick? That must've been UNREAL! He's the f'n man!

What was the count for Carter? 2 from 6? S.A. is probably quite happy he had an off day. 2 penalties and 2 conversions, that's 10 points, heh.
Old 18th July 2010, 05:31     #64
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrick
Don't think I've ever seen Carter miss so many. Imagine how much pressue Weepu was under to get that kick? That must've been UNREAL! He's the f'n man!

What was the count for Carter? 2 from 6? S.A. is probably quite happy he had an off day. 2 penalties and 2 conversions, that's 10 points, heh.
2/7 I think.
That wind looked like a bitch though. Normally I find its hard to notice on TV, but you could clearly see all the in game kicks swirling. I don't think there would have been a lot of pressure. He's kicked there so often.
But I think that kick helps secure his place in the 15. It adds something else to his game that Cowan doesn't have.

So was Weepu man of the match?
Old 18th July 2010, 08:48     #65
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Weepu is definitely my man of the match. No question.

The wind in that stadium is a sonofabitch. Was gusty by about 15kt last night too which wouldn't help. In one of Carter's kicks, you can see the ball heading toward the opposing upright and instead of arcing the way it should from the spiralling, it abruptly changed direction fortunately right between the uprights.

Still. Looked bad for him and he won't be happy with that on his card. Ain't ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater JUST yet
Old 18th July 2010, 09:43     #66
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimp-X
Weepu is definitely my man of the match. No question.
paging spoon1 to thread 84491

Old 18th July 2010, 11:46     #67
blynk

Quote:
Still. Looked bad for him and he won't be happy with that on his card. Ain't ready to throw the baby out with the bathwater JUST yet
Hell no. There is no comparison to go by.
Yes Weepu kick may not have been easy, but he only kicked once.
Steyn 2 or 3 kicks where pretty close and in front as well.
Old 18th July 2010, 17:42     #68
ZoSo

Kieran Read
Old 18th July 2010, 21:15     #69
pig

I've really been impressed with Read the last 2 weeks, Franks to, their defence & the speed of the line has been awesome against the South African forwards.
Old 18th July 2010, 22:38     #70
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Hurricanes 1st Try Again - Money.

Jean De Villiers 2 week ban, poor fuckin' boks lose another one!

Last edited by mr selfdestruct : 18th July 2010 at 22:40.
Old 19th July 2010, 00:16     #71
chiQ
Frag-muff

Quote:
In one of Carter's kicks, you can see the ball heading toward the opposing upright and instead of arcing the way it should from the spiralling, it abruptly changed direction fortunately right between the uprights.
I was so sure that one was going to be another lemon, and then the ball rode a rail around the corner and went through.
Old 19th July 2010, 10:12     #72
ZoSo

Kaino deserves a mention too. He's also doing really well of late.
Old 19th July 2010, 12:31     #73
a-tech

Forwards all playing well. Scrum looked great!

Loved Dagg's try and Weepu's run through the middle to set up Muliaina - fantastic rugby.
Old 19th July 2010, 13:06     #74
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Weepu and Mills in vintage form. Pity Weepu is on baby watch and may miss next game.
Old 19th July 2010, 13:13     #75
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

Weepu FTW, Cowan FTL.

Cracks me up that they went to Piri to get a kick over and it was tricky one on his "wrong" side and he still slotted it.

Still wish Gear was in there Wasn't that impressed with Ranger.
Old 19th July 2010, 13:29     #76
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Surely letting someone else kick while Carter was still on the field is an unprecedented event?

In the words of Ken Laban, Ranger was strong, fast and athletic with the ball in hand.

The simple reason Ranger was selected according to the coaches was that he beat everyone in every fitness test when he came into camp so they felt they had to give him a shot. I think he played well for his first start against a team like the Boks, no easy task.

I'm happy to have him there and I think I now prefer him over Guildford and Gear.
Old 19th July 2010, 13:31     #77
ZoSo

Ranger is out of the squad.
Old 19th July 2010, 15:13     #78
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

Not surprised, he had a fucking shocker.
Old 19th July 2010, 15:22     #79
Deadmeat

Quote:
Weepu and Mills in vintage form. Pity Weepu is on baby watch and may miss next game.
Hard to be angry at him for that despite how much I love seeing him on the field.
Old 19th July 2010, 16:44     #80
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Actually Helious it's not because he 'had a shocker'. He made a few mistakes but who doesn't on debut?

He's been dropped because Joe is fit again so he was only ever a temporary measure.