NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > The year of rugby
User Name
Password

Old 26th July 2009, 16:03     #41
GiBs

Mcalister/Smith combo could be a good move I reckon and bring jimmy back to halfback - leonard didnt do much and I couldnt really understand why he was dropped in the first place. Maybe leave Nonu on the bench as an impact player?
Old 26th July 2009, 16:29     #42
SID|DensitY

There are a few areas to look at after last night's game. overall the AB's were well beaten by a better team. I'm thankful Pienaar had a shocker with the boot.

These are the problem areas I saw.

1. Line outs
2. breakdown support
3. offensive tactics
4. Eaton
5. Rokocoko
6. Out of position play

The lineouts were just shocking. Before we even get onto the subject of the ABs not competing at lineout time, we have to talk about our hookers throws and the men in the lineout, because once again we failed badly to win our own throws. The throws were normally not on target, making it hard for the jumpers and if that went sweet the boks (and frankly others in the world) have read the AB lineout book and are just interfering with the ball. I seriously am starting to think they don't bother to practice lineouts.

breakdown support. I've gotta say, when I Saw an AB tackled, a lot of the time numbers were very fin at the tackle to secure the ball. I mean sure Richie is in there and he can pull out some wonders, but there were a few turn overs purely because the support weren't commiting themselfs to the breakdown rucks. I realise that breakdowns in rugby are a total mess (rule wise, you virtually can't do anything as defense if its a ruck unless you have numbers and are on our feet, bring back rucking!) but the lack of commitment is forcing those already there to play off their feet and stick their hands into the ruck.. giving away easy penalties.

offensively, the all blacks were flat footed, out of ideas. Its as if the players go "hmm there is no set weaknesses, lets just stand around and pray the boks give away a penalty". There were some good set piece play, and one that scored the try was great. But you could see the bok defense had once again read the AB offensive tactics book, and were often already standing where the ABs were gonna pass. Forward to backs linkups are messy atm, quality ball is zip.

Eaton is an OK super 14 player. not an international player. yeah..

Poor Rokocoko. He's actually pretty good under the high ball compared to how he use to be, since every game that he's been in this year the other teams have thrown bombs his way and he has largely handled it well bar some exceptions. Quality ball is pretty rare which is hardly his fault. I disagree last night that he had a lower work rate then Sivivatu, they just worked differently. Rokocoko is suffering from "rugby stupidity" atm, when he does get the ball he makes stupid stupid decisions. it is starting to become clear that unless its a gimmie try, he isn't cut out for international level rugby.

Some players are nearly always out of position, interesting enough Sivivatu is someone I just about always see running around with the centers, and often running back like mad to get back into position when ball is kicked down center field to our full back. I saw a forward get ball on the wing during an offensive attack by the Abs.. the fuckin hell!
Old 26th July 2009, 16:49     #43
_Incubus_

A lot has to be said for ref's at an international level. I get the impression from the AB's v OZ a couple of weeks ago the AB's had the better of the decisions during some questionable penalties. Last night a lot of the NZ momentum was stomped out by some again dody ref calls - Conrads in front of the kicker bs penalty.

Getting the best of the ref calls and getting away with it for a team seems to be the only thing as far as I can see that separates the tri nations sides.
Old 26th July 2009, 16:52     #44
_Incubus_

Also drop goals need to be reduced to 1 point, if you want to play a drop goal game go fucking play afl.
Old 26th July 2009, 17:25     #45
Thomas Meatball

This^^^
Old 26th July 2009, 18:52     #46
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

I had more fun reading The Clank than watching the game
Old 26th July 2009, 21:12     #47
xor

Donald must have had a good game. Nobody has anything bad to say about him in here
I think it's good that the All Blacks lost. They'll learn more. E.g. They know not to play Eaton ever again and hopefully Tialata. Hopefully they'll play McAlister more, Nonu is too one dimensional. Leonard should be dropped, there's no need to put 3 half backs in the squad.

BRING BACK HAYMEN!
Old 26th July 2009, 22:00     #48
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Incubus_
Also drop goals need to be reduced to 1 point, if you want to play a drop goal game go fucking play afl.
Agreed (or at least 2 points). I also think penalty shots should only be taken from the 10meter to the try line.

I'm sure Habana was offside the majority of the times SA kicked. (Then again, so were we).
But then Rugby has always been relaxed at that. You can normally be a few steps in front and its fine.

The problem with Roko was that SA don't go for the ball. It has turned into league where they just try and bat the ball back.
Old 27th July 2009, 00:59     #49
deh

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Donald must have had a good game. Nobody has anything bad to say about him in here
I think it's good that the All Blacks lost. They'll learn more. E.g. They know not to play Eaton ever again and hopefully Tialata. Hopefully they'll play McAlister more, Nonu is too one dimensional. Leonard should be dropped, there's no need to put 3 half backs in the squad.

BRING BACK HAYMEN!
Donald impressed me, not usually a fan but when he runs the ball he's a good player.

Density made some good points, we were only commiting 1 person to the breakdown on offense in the 2nd half, it didnt look secure and was leaving plenty of forwards standing around doing nothing in the middle of the field making it hard to form our backline. Our backline is way to flat, no one is running onto the ball. Nonu couldnt do anything standing flat with the defence in his face. Our wingers only get the ball flat footed aswell, such a letdown with 2 explosive wingers. Rocokocko did outplay Sivivatu, he is such a force with just a hitup.

Next week will be a great game, our players back from injury will be in proper form and with the boks down 2 of there most crucial annnd a sea level ground should make for a "better" game for us.

Thorn please fireup like a queenslander.
Old 27th July 2009, 09:01     #50
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

Smith had a huge game, all class

Main concern for me is that an area which historically has been our strengh we are really struggling with .. and thats our ability to break the line and score tries. We seem to be trying to run though the line rather then creating space and putting people in in, our wingers have not had any chances all year.

I am a big fan of nonu but I think McAlister needs a run at 12, as someone said he is very 1 dimensional at the moment.

Our issue seems to be when we go for the long throw, I think we should just stick for the money ball at 2 tbh.

Also please dont play tialata
Old 27th July 2009, 16:13     #51
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Tracey's stats are up.

http://haka.co.nz/allblacks.php
Old 28th July 2009, 09:26     #52
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

fark - I knew Conrad had a good game, but there's some great workrate stats there. Also, Brad Thorn for Pope.
Old 28th July 2009, 16:17     #53
deh

smiths try and performance brings back memories of bunce & umaga.. looking like a legit world class centre atm.
Old 28th July 2009, 16:32     #54
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Conrad smashed everyone else on the park to pieces in Fantasy Rugby points too, 64. He got 34 the week before and I dropped him for Du Preez who got 9, nice one.....