_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWERTY?
international dell (sailor)
lote tuqiri
tahu
matt rogers
brad thorne
Yes but 3/4 of them were shithouse union players..

Old 9th September 2008, 11:00     #162
pig

Add Ryan Cross & Berrick Barnes into that mix, i would say the Sailor was the poorest out of them & the rest were good or better.
Tahu still in his first season so he will only improve.
Old 9th September 2008, 11:26     #163
QWERTY?

speaking of the dell, hes fair rocking for the dragons atm.

alot of those leaguies carried there respective teams, especially lote and the tahs, they would be _nothing_ if he wasnt there, hell him and gitteau carry the wallibies as well.
Old 9th September 2008, 12:36     #164
a-tech

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWERTY?
speaking of the dell, hes fair rocking for the dragons atm.

alot of those leaguies carried there respective teams, especially lote and the tahs, they would be _nothing_ if he wasnt there, hell him and gitteau carry the wallibies as well.
Gitteau and Lote are important - but mortlock is the key to the aussies - the man is a beast and so threatning.

Fuck, so amping for this game this weekend - gonna be a massive game at suncorp!
Old 9th September 2008, 12:42     #165
ZoSo

Yeah Mortlock IS the Aussies to my mind. Carves us up.
Old 10th September 2008, 13:05     #166
xor

Yeah Mortlock is bit of a monster. I saw a game before he lost his hair!
Giteau is fucken awesome though, will be interesting to see how him and Carter play their respective fields
Old 10th September 2008, 13:44     #167
blynk

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/4/...ectid=10531361
"After several indifferent displays Sione Lauaki has been left out of the replacements"
Oh thank god.
Old 10th September 2008, 16:28     #168
buckies

These Aussies aren't that good. Match up player to player on paper and we spank them. They've played smart and rode their luck, but they should get exposed again this weekend.

The fact that Aussie has made 5 changes reeks of desperation. Barnes is a solid player and Mortlock + Cross as 12 and 13 is a new combination that will likely backfire. Mortlock is playing out of position and Cross is a faggy haired gumby.

With our new strategy we've employed since the Eden Park test, and a full strength team without Ellis or Lauaki to fuck it up, we should breeze past the Aussies.

ABs 13+ thnx.
Old 11th September 2008, 01:39     #169
QWERTY?

I hope fat(or matt) dunning gets out there and gets dominated in the scrum again, that guy is a disgrace, always gets up having a big cry...
Old 11th September 2008, 01:58     #170
blueballs

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckies
The fact that Aussie has made 5 changes reeks of desperation. Barnes is a solid player and Mortlock + Cross as 12 and 13 is a new combination that will likely backfire. Mortlock is playing out of position and Cross is a faggy haired gumby.

Certainly for a weighted average man-for-man matchup you're right, but the changes I don't think are desperation. It's putting the right guys who are available back on after a mini-experiment in the shambles last match. Smith starting. Tahu benched. Polota-nau benched. That was just fun and games last time out, and they got behind the eight ball.

Mortlock can play 12 easy. EASY. And Cross is not bad at all. I'd say that's where they might actually have a chance of victory. Might not happen, but I'd actually take a bet on Mortlock putting Cross into space for a try this weekend.

Lineout will most likely be the losing factor for Australia I think.
Old 11th September 2008, 08:52     #171
Haydos

Quote:
The fact that Aussie has made 5 changes reeks of desperation.
Or it means they played under strength against South Africa and returned to their best strength side for this test, seeing how all of the players who aren't injured who beat the All Blacks and South Africa are in the lineup.
Old 11th September 2008, 09:42     #172
Yoda

Quote:
These French aren't that good. Match up player to player on paper and we spank them. They've played smart and rode their luck, but they should get exposed again this weekend.

...we should breeze past the French.

ABs 13+ thnx.
Over-creative editing, but just making a point...
Old 11th September 2008, 13:09     #173
buckies

Ok. I retract since you're right in the sense that most of the substitutions are for second ringers anyway.

Nevertheless, Mortlock + Cross is weak. You can't say that it isn't a notch down on Barnes + Mortlock, especially with the emphasis on territorial kicking in the modern game.

My heads on the chopping block making a 13+ boast, but I will stand by it. If you guys are pessimistic on our chances then go ahead and put some money on Aus and enjoy a handsome return.
Old 11th September 2008, 13:54     #174
Haydos

My thoughts are it comes down to

Carter, Williams and McCaw vs Giteau, Sharpe and Smith.

As it always does when there are no individual game breakers like Christian Cullen or Jonah Lomu involved.
Old 11th September 2008, 17:16     #175
buckies

Mortlock and Nonu are both game breakers, in the sense that they can break the line and create a try out of nowhere. Certainly not to the same frequency or extent as Lomu or Cullen, but dangerous players nonetheless.

McCaw and Carter are both a level above Smith and Giteau. I can't recall a test where Giteau and Smith outplayed McCaw or Carter. Sharp to Williams is a more even contest, but I'd back Williams to have the greater impact in the lineout and with the ball in hand.
Old 11th September 2008, 21:52     #176
Haydos

Nonu is a game breaker in the sense that he'll make a linebreak, turnover the ball or throw a stupid pass and see them score at the other end.

Mortlock, little bit old these days, he's able to break the line but not get away from the cover defense like he used too.

Carter has brain freeze moments where he doesn't do as he should, when these happen, Giteau is better.

McCaw, well, he's the best player in the world, look at the difference between the side with him and without him.
Old 11th September 2008, 23:16     #177
Phrack

Haydos, fuck off with the Nonu hating.
Old 11th September 2008, 23:18     #178
Haydos

Maybe if the useless fucker was productive for more than just one game a season, I might.

But he's a waste. He's like Lauaki. We have far better players.
Old 11th September 2008, 23:23     #179
buckies

I too have my doubts about Nonu. Personally I'd rather see a McAlister + Smith combo or a Kahui + Smith midfield combo for reliability's sake.

However, comparing him to Lauaki is pretty harsh. Never before have I seen a player perform in a manner as if they were intentionally sabotaging the match, until I saw Lauaki play in Sydney.

Someone needs to ensure that him and Andy Ellis never make it back to the team.
Old 11th September 2008, 23:28     #180
Haydos

Agree, add Brendon Leonard to that list as well.

He's another guy who has a nasty habit of dropping regulation ball and causing turn overs when they're hot on attack.

I quite like the idea of Donald at 2nd Five with Kahui at Centre. Both guys are solid tacklers who have good distribution skills. Donald's running game is severely under-rated and he brings a great tactical kicking right foot to compliment Carter's left.

Smith, I really like the guy but his defense can be a little dodgy. I'd rather see them pick a team that can consistently grind out gritty performances, not need to be front runners in order to be good.
Old 11th September 2008, 23:39     #181
Haydos

As an aside to that.

Reason being, it's kinda unfair on Carter to ask him to change a playing style he's had pretty much the entire time he's been in the AB's.

When he first started, he was playing second five outside of Merhtens or Evans.

When he went to First Five, he had Mauger, McCallister or Umaga outside him, all guys who had a decent kick on them, strong running games with good distribution skills as well as strong defense.

Now, we're asking him to play without that secondary kicker and also (in many cases) play with a weaker defender outside him.
Old 12th September 2008, 14:12     #182
buckies

Gotta come clean and say that I'm a big Leonard fan. Snappiest pass in the country, quickest accelerator off the mark for sneaky runs, and quick to the ruck for distribution to the backs.

For me the ideal halfback should principally ensure snappy delivery from the breakdown (i.e. Gregan ). The idea of a bigger, slower halfback as an extra loose forward type of player (i.e. Marshall and Kelleher) really doesn't float my boat, especially when you've got a deadly backline dying to get their hands on the ball.
Old 12th September 2008, 15:36     #183
Haydos

All for his pass, but he doesn't do enough other things well.

I'm quite sold on Cowan for the moment.
Old 13th September 2008, 18:01     #184
ZoSo

Go the AB's! 2 games of rugby I've actually been enthused about. What is the world coming to.
Old 13th September 2008, 23:54     #185
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

FFS....

Come on, black, sort your shit
Old 14th September 2008, 00:13     #186
Haydos

Beautiful try by Woodcock.. fat man had the pace.

Again, quite funny that Nonu wasn't in the backline when the ball got through to the wing.
Old 14th September 2008, 00:14     #187
Haydos

Donald in at second five, this is what I wanted to see.
Old 14th September 2008, 00:26     #188
Haydos

Beautiful try there, Donald with the pass back on the inside put Soialo into the gap. Makes a hell of a difference when you have a play maker vs whatever the fuck Nonu is.
Old 14th September 2008, 00:48     #189
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rince
FFS....

Come on, black, sort your shit
Dear ABs,
thank you for listening

Old 14th September 2008, 00:58     #190
Helious

Very boring first half. Second half was pretty intense and the last 10minutes was particularly good.

Pleased with the result (obviously).
Old 14th September 2008, 01:11     #191
untouchable

GG AB's

Im one of nonus biggest supporters but i think the last 3 games he has been pretty shit. It wouldnt surprise me if he was dropped like lauaki for the northern tour. I dont like Donald much but he put in some nice bombs when he came on. Would like to see ice in there with smith.

Weepu was a great sub. Perfect impact role for him i reckon. Nice and early after a steadier starter in cowan.

Scrum didnt look great. Break down and defence was damn good.

I fucking love Muliana.
Old 14th September 2008, 01:16     #192
Helious

Weepu came on at the perfect time and played his role brilliantly.

Sivivatu had a pretty good game, nothing flash, but a solid attacking/defending game.

Cowan did really well, I wanna see more of this guy.

Carter was solid with his kicking, 100%

McCaw was quiet, as was Williams.

Woodcock in with a stunner of a try, down the wing! haha
Old 14th September 2008, 01:36     #193
o9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydos
Donald in at second five, this is what I wanted to see.
Carter was outside him more often than not and he did well with the space.

The last 5 minutes were ugly. Setup Donald for a drop goal with Carter as the decoy. Even if he misses atleast it's a 22 drop out not broken play Aussies on the counter attack.
Old 14th September 2008, 04:56     #194
Ard Righ

Quote:
For me the ideal halfback should principally ensure snappy delivery from the breakdown (i.e. Gregan ). The idea of a bigger, slower halfback as an extra loose forward type of player (i.e. Marshall and Kelleher) really doesn't float my boat, especially when you've got a deadly backline dying to get their hands on the ball.
Alby Mathewson
Old 14th September 2008, 09:22     #195
herp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haydos
Beautiful try there, Donald with the pass back on the inside put Soialo into the gap. Makes a hell of a difference when you have a play maker vs whatever the fuck Nonu is.
Donald looked like a nervous wreck on that football field, he could hardly catch the ball.
Old 14th September 2008, 09:36     #196
Macca@Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helious-
Very boring first half. Second half was pretty intense and the last 10minutes was particularly good.

Pleased with the result (obviously).
Well you missed a good game of rugby then.I was watching the tri nations
decider..best game I've seen for ages.Only thing with the Wallabies..
it was like pre game their plan was to let the ABs loose it rather than try and actually win it.Even Deans didn't catagorically declare that the wallabies were going to win.Surely as a coach you back the team you are training.
Old 14th September 2008, 11:49     #197
orpheus
Jedi Knight

2nd half was definitely more exciting than 1st considering Wallabieis came out and scored putting us on the back foot....ABs then came back and hit the lead then had to defend again yet another Wallaby onslaught towards the end....great game overall i thought and one fit for a decider.
Old 14th September 2008, 12:01     #198
QWERTY?

if it wasnt for the gay BBC telling me who had won before I got a chance to watch it I would have died from the tension, I was sure aussie were going to put it out wide and finish us off in the last five minutes, by all rights they should, but nooooo

haha fuck you aussie, fuck you robbie deans and fuck you all the henry nay sayers, fuck you all

FUCK YOU ALL
Old 14th September 2008, 13:23     #199
buckies

Nonu's gotta go. He's been exposed as one-dimensional and we can't risk investing in him through to the next world cup.

Sivivatu had an absolute shocker. He's just got no fucking brains. He made that run and pass off the ground for a try, but, when you watch all the fuck-ups he did throughout the game, he definitely came out of it in arrears. Again, he can't be allowed to stick around as there is no way you can fix someone who is that fucking stupid and unco.

Carter was the difference between the two sides last night. In Dan we trust.

Ard, I wholeheartedly agree with you there. I've been loving the rugby Mathewson has been playing this season in the NPC. That boy has some brilliant pace and accelaration, and his pass is snappy.

Haydos, Donald certainly has potential. He did a few nice fuck-ups last night but what do you expect when it's his first time there for the ABs. I think he could be tailored to the role, and re-invoke the tactical Mauger/McAlister second-five as opposed to the smash-bash-mish-mash that Nonu brings.

Hopefully we experiment during our November tour and bring a revised team to next years Tri-Nations.
Old 14th September 2008, 13:40     #200
Haydos

Donald didn't play as good as he could have, I think nerves (as someone else mentioned) played a part.

But even so, as soon as he came on, he put Rodney through the gap which lead to the try which put us ahead.

He also drew defenders in and produced quick ball for the try where Carter was a wider and ran through Ryan Cross to score.

It was proof of concept for me, that it makes sense to have Donald in there as a playmaker who can alternate between first five and second when required with Carter.

Carter showed his class when he has a little bit more time and space although by his own standards, would probably not have been happy with his kicking game.

Why can't those forwards play like they did for the last thirty of the game? They were brutal, drove over the top on every opportunity when Aussie had a stranded player and had numbers to every breakdown.

Last edited by Haydos : 14th September 2008 at 13:41.