Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > The year of rugby
User Name
Password

Old 10th May 2008, 15:24     #1
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

last to leave, please turn off the lights

Hot on the heels of Evans to Harlequins and Ranby to Bath, looks like Carter's joining Umaga, Oliver, Mehrtens, and Taumopeau at Toulon.

http://rugbyheaven.co.nz/4518436a22363.html
Old 10th May 2008, 15:35     #2
MaZeR

Yeah, so I'm no big Rugby fan, but it's all pretty much over then for NZ Rugby? Bad luck having the WC here next time
Old 10th May 2008, 15:37     #3
Chrono
User Awaiting Email Confirmation

The end is already here, so many of my rugby-head mates and I just don't feel it anymore. That doesn't really mean much but I hear similar things from other people.

Pretty gutting, guess a lot of factors come into play. Just seems like such a massive chunk of me is gone, we'd usually spend every weekend watching the game together at this time of year
Old 10th May 2008, 15:56     #4
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I must confess... me too. I blew gigs and gigs of bandwidth downloading games last year, and this year I haven't watched a single one. I just kinda don't care.
Old 10th May 2008, 16:50     #5
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

It's cyclic IMO.

But anyway, who cares if player X fucks off overseas? There are plenty of other talented players who need their break. Now's the time to bring them in and build them up for the next WC.
Old 11th May 2008, 09:38     #6
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon1
who cares if player X fucks off overseas? There are plenty of other talented players who need their break. Now's the time to bring them in and build them up for the next WC.
I agree, but for a "2 sides to every story" check this link: http://www.rugbyheaven.co.nz/4484758a25501.html
Old 11th May 2008, 14:09     #7
ZoSo

Somewhat amusing.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4521543a1823.html
Old 11th May 2008, 14:56     #8
Helious

You're all still in mourning :p
Old 11th May 2008, 18:02     #9
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo
I find the fact that NZ rugby is flat broke somewhat NOT amusing
Old 11th May 2008, 19:01     #10
blur^

maybe the NZRU can auction off the RWC? haha
Old 11th May 2008, 19:06     #11
leadinjector

jeez, it really does sound like the ABs are fucked now.

and yeah i havent watched a game this year because i pretty much just follow the league now. far more appeal.
Old 11th May 2008, 20:33     #12
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Fewer high-profile players playing in NZ equals less interest in the games.

Less interest in the games equals fewer attendees at games and fewer people watching the games on television.

Fewer attendees and viewers equals less revenue.

Less revenue equals less money to pay players.

Less money to pay players equals more players heading overseas.

More players heading overseas equals fewer high-profile players playing in NZ.

GOTO 10
Old 12th May 2008, 10:50     #13
Interface-7

I've always said the NZRFU shouldn't have done the Super 12/14/18/etc but instead focused on making the NPC the rugby equivalent of the English Premier League.

Attract the best players, coaches, etc from around the world and basically you can't go wrong. Instead, you've got a bunch of 'isolationist' running the show with crazy clauses like 'you must play in NZ to qualify for the All Blacks'.
Old 12th May 2008, 10:57     #14
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interface-7
'you must play in NZ to qualify for the All Blacks'.
"* except Daniel Carter"
Old 12th May 2008, 10:59     #15
Painty

*yawn*..has rugby started then?

btw me and the mrs used to watch every game we could every weekend, and yeah now its only if we can be bothered and only "our team" (go hurricanes)
Old 12th May 2008, 13:45     #16
JiggaRoll
For the Horo

Now the NZRFU knows what the Island teams felt like when we raped and pillaged them for players without giving anything in return except for token matches every now and then.

The NZRFU has had since at least the 99WC to come up with some kind of plan to keep players interested in staying in NZ. Nearly all their thinking has been reactionary.

They might have to take a leaf out of league's book and start letting overseas based players play for the national team, although that'll probably start a mass exodus but wtf they are already leaving and people want to see nz's best players in their team not whoever we can scrape up from what is left.

Last edited by JiggaRoll : 12th May 2008 at 13:47.
Old 21st May 2008, 17:37     #17
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Can't believe what I'm hearing. I love Rugby. I really couldn't give a stuff who leaves. I still love watching every game no matter what's going on. Sure it sucks to lose good players but there will always be new ones replacing them. A new generation will come through soon and like someone said, it's all cyclic. We think it's so devastating that we're losing some class players but in 2 or 3 years we'll be wondering what the hell we were worrying about 2 or 3 years ago. We lost the last WC at the Quarter final, it's not like we can do any worse next time anyway. I love watching new players take the field in the black jersey for the first time. It's time some other guys had their shot anyway.
Old 21st May 2008, 17:55     #18
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr selfdestruct
I love watching new players take the field in the black jersey for the first time.
So you loved every AB game last year then? Is there a senior grade player in NZ who didn't play for the All Blacks last year?

Still, SD, I see your point. I love rugby and I love watching rugby. Hell, last weekend I stood on the sidelines in the rain watching club rugby in Adelaide. The thing is, I've just given up on rugby that is administered by the NZRFU.
Old 24th May 2008, 10:39     #19
ePi

http://www.stuff.co.nz/4559215a1823.html

Springboks lift ban on overseas players. Wow, it's going to be interesting to see the results of this.
Old 26th May 2008, 15:34     #20
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Jerry's gone.

http://stuff.co.nz/4561000a10.html
Old 27th May 2008, 16:47     #21
JERI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Fuck no!
Old 27th May 2008, 17:11     #22
pig

Wow i know he's missed some games but Henry says he wouldn't have been picked for the early part of the AB season. Bit gutted tbh, will miss seeing him in the black jersey. Who are they looking at for 6 then - Kaino ? Masoe ?
The Waikato up & comer ?
Old 27th May 2008, 19:04     #23
badassmofo

guessing we may see Masoe at 6.
Old 27th May 2008, 19:26     #24
vorlon

They are looking at Reid from Canterbury...

I'm hoping that Jerry will be back before the next world cup..
Old 28th May 2008, 01:00     #25
Spidey

Why on earth would Henry be such a prick to Jerry and say a comment like that, I mean he put his body on the line for every game in that Black jersey, and to have someone say that about you when you are standing down is just bad taste imo.
I use to like Henry but after a comment like that I hope Robbie Deans smashes his ugly face.
Old 28th May 2008, 01:59     #26
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

^^^
My thoughts exactly. Fuck that cunt. Go Robbie, Wallabies for the Bledisloe this year.
Old 28th May 2008, 11:16     #27
pig

Fuck that, im pissed off with Henry for saying that but im not that pissed off.
Seems like there is gonna be several new faces - i haven't watched enough Super 14 to know who the form players are but hopefully Brett, Tuitavake, Kaino/Messam get given a crack.
Old 28th May 2008, 12:38     #28
fobski

fuck this shit

we are so screwed
Old 28th May 2008, 14:12     #29
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Nick Evans not even in the AB training squad?? Are we all of a sudden overflowing with such phenomenal first-fives that the best first five in New Zealand for two years running can't get a tracksuit?

http://stuff.co.nz/4562871a1823.html
Old 28th May 2008, 14:14     #30
darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Nick Evans not even in the AB training squad?? Are we all of a sudden overflowing with such phenomenal first-fives that the best first five in New Zealand for two years running can't get a tracksuit?

that is the biggest loss IMO. he played out of his skin for the AB's last time.
Old 28th May 2008, 14:48     #31
pig

Masoe & Eaton not in there either ?
Have i missed an announcement regarding Leon McDonald - he's not there ?
Either way its a big cleanout, wonder if Weepu will go to the UK or NRL.
Old 28th May 2008, 15:34     #32
ePi

Go the All Blacks.
Old 28th May 2008, 15:36     #33
ePi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab

He's leaving, why have him in there.
Old 28th May 2008, 16:02     #34
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Because he's available and the best in his position...?
Old 28th May 2008, 16:28     #35
ZoSo

Wow. Shit treatment and interesting calls. Can only hope these early wobbles get sorted out fast before it turns into another farce. The first few games will (again) be very interesting.
Look for more signs of: dropped ball, bad passes, intercepts and lack of finishing to see how ontrack these guys are.
Old 28th May 2008, 16:48     #36
Kolta

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig
Masoe & Eaton not in there either ?
Have i missed an announcement regarding Leon McDonald - he's not there ?
Either way its a big cleanout, wonder if Weepu will go to the UK or NRL.
McDonald is not in the training squad because Canterbury players have not been included. The final 26 should be quite different on Sunday after the super 14 final I would assume. Be interesting to see if Adam Thompson makes it from the Highlanders.
Old 28th May 2008, 18:13     #37
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

I'm pretty amazed that Evans won't be considered either. He can fill the fly half and full back spots pretty comfortably at test level even if he has had a pretty shit house super 14. Donald only had a few stunning games, he was really rank at the start of the season and he can only play one position. Still, I think he's got great guts and I'd love to see him in the AB's, I just didn't think it would be at the expense of Evans. Mills looks like he's been groomed as the permanent centre now which I would have thought would have opened the door for Cory Jane to be the bench full back if McDonald can't play.
Old 2nd June 2008, 11:34     #38
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey
Why on earth would Henry be such a prick to Jerry and say a comment like that, I mean he put his body on the line for every game in that Black jersey, and to have someone say that about you when you are standing down is just bad taste imo.
I use to like Henry but after a comment like that I hope Robbie Deans smashes his ugly face.
NH writers are gobsmacked too:

Quote:
The comment that Jerry Collins would not have made the All Blacks is shocking, that Collins showed the uncommon decency of formally ending his NZRU contract before opening formal negotiations with another party indicates that Jerry is a class act. Graham Henry’s conduct is nowhere near the same level.

Collins played amazing rugby for Henry and I think that’s a very poor way of saying thank you to a true rugby hero.
http://www.rugbyheaven.co.nz/4564822a22459.html
Old 3rd June 2008, 14:05     #39
buckies

Crying Henry = cockknocker

Henry should be sacked in light of the JC fiasco. I laugh at all the stupid New Zealanders who whined and said we should retain Henry after the last world cup. Thanks to you fucking idiots feeding the media, who in turn influenced the NZRFU (as they want to please the public), we're now stuck under this fascist git again.

Henry is a smug egotistical prick. He obviously hasn't learnt his lessons from the last world cup that he isn't the be all and end all, and has failed to properly digest his humble pie.

We should have booted him out of NZ last year and had Robbie Deans at the helm when we had the chance. I hope the Wallabies steal the silverware off us this year and show up Henry for the cock he is.
Old 3rd June 2008, 17:40     #40
ipee

Calm the fuck down

Are you like 5 or something?

You have every right to be pissed off at Henry, but to wish New Zealand to lose (especially to Aus) because of a dislike for the coach is BS. Grow the fuck up.