NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > The year of rugby
User Name
Password

Old 23rd March 2008, 12:44     #41
Phrack

you have to be fucking kidding me. stupid chiefs winning by 16! I had them 1-12 and yes I actually picked the draw between the lions and the reds. almost my first perfect week ever and it would have been amazing. damn those stupid chiefs.
Old 24th March 2008, 12:07     #42
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

missed the draw (I almost picked it.... but at the last second I thought "don't be so fucking stupid Rincey, who the fuck picks a draw, apart from Phrack, the weirdo") & I got the wrong margin for the Blues game.....

37 points
Old 24th March 2008, 12:12     #43
Cereal Killar

My sister picked the draw. Jumped her up to around 3000. I'm languishing around the 90000+ mark.
Old 24th March 2008, 13:14     #44
Phrack

i needed that draw to bring me back into the mix. jumped me up 57,000 places too. I can see next week only getting 18, just looks like a week that almost all the games could go either.
Old 24th March 2008, 13:14     #45
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

buckies: No luck at the TAB for me this week. 2 $5 multi's didn't come through and got one of my single option bet and lost the other. Crusaders 1-7 HT came through for a profit of $37.50 and put $30 on Bulls +3.5 point start thinking they would win for certain but just in case they lost by 3 I would still get my money back .... stupid Chiefs winning with most of their best players injured!!

My worst week yet in virtual, only JUST holding onto my lead now Miserable 26 points.
Old 25th March 2008, 12:38     #46
buckies

This week wasn't too bad

My multi died due to the draw of course (I backed Lions H2H) and the Force not putting 13+ on the Highlanders (why can't anyone exploit this team for the gumbies that they are?).
Old 26th March 2008, 14:23     #47
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

I actually think the Highlanders are a pretty solid outfit, they just lack gamebreakers and a world class fly half, I imagine they would have won that game with Evans.

Your multi can't break if a H2H doesn't come through, the TAB gives you an amnesty on them, they just deduct the odds from that game from your return (spot the gambler!). So just the Force 13+ stuffed you. I also picked Force 13+, after dicking the Blues you would have thought that would be a good bet but at one stage they looked like they could have lost it if it wasn't for Ryan Cross' intercept try.
Old 26th March 2008, 14:25     #48
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Y'know when you think about it, it should have been a gamblers paradise. Every favourite won. A simple $5 head to head bet on all the favourites would have returned $80 even with the draw.
Old 27th March 2008, 10:34     #49
buckies

ah numbnuts

Odds deductions on H2H's prolly would have seen me home earlier on this season. Ballbags.

I'm scared this weekend of Hurr/Cru as is everyone else. Logic dictates that Crusaders win, but if the Hurricanes bring their A game then they can win it. Also, if Brett and MacDonald are still out the Crusaders are weakened, whereas the canes will be fresh after the bye. TAB backs Crusaders 13+ and puts the canes at long odds.

All other games should be elementory wins for the home teams, so it's probably wisest to leave this one off and back the rest.
Old 27th March 2008, 12:08     #50
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

MacDonald will be playing.

only 4 players in canes starting line up that have not played for the all blacks and 7 for the crusaders but that won't make much difference.

Crusaders have been slow out of the blocks and error ridden in the first half and monstered everyone with no mistakes in the 2nd.

Hurricanes have started all matches strongly.

I'm thinking good punts will be Hurricanes by 1-7 at half time and a real juicy one, Hurricanes at HT / Crusaders at FT.

Like you said, the rest should be fairly elementary provided there aren't too many brain explosions from the favourites.

Should be several close match ups this weekend though, a 3 option multi of two or three 12- winning margins paying $2.80 each looks attractive.
Old 27th March 2008, 16:07     #51
buckies

yeah picking the margins will be troublesome

I'm happy to back Chiefs and Blues 13+, more unsure about Force, Sharks and Tahs ability to do the same. Surprised the TAB is so adament of a 13+ outcome on the Tahs.

Canes 1-7 @ HT is a nice bet @ $4.75. HT/FT on Hurr/Cru will cost me a year of my life in stress I imagine.
Old 29th March 2008, 12:35     #52
buckies

Angry talking Rodney needs to be sacked as Canes Captain

Going for a penalty when trailing by 7 with 10 minutes to go and an opposition player in the bin. STUPID. Then Goppeth misses the kick.

Should have gone for touch and the rolling maul try like they did with Hore before

A defining moment of Hurricanes stupidity.

(and no, i didn't bet on the canes, just a frustrated Wellingtonian)
Old 29th March 2008, 13:40     #53
p-b

I think Ali Williams looks rather good in Red and Black
Old 29th March 2008, 16:39     #54
Phrack

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckies
Going for a penalty when trailing by 7 with 10 minutes to go and an opposition player in the bin. STUPID. Then Goppeth misses the kick.

Should have gone for touch and the rolling maul try like they did with Hore before

A defining moment of Hurricanes stupidity.

(and no, i didn't bet on the canes, just a frustrated Wellingtonian)
They had to score twice to win the game, and a fairly easy kick came up with more than enough time left on the clock and the sin bin to work it back up there. Goppeth shouldn't have missed that.
Old 29th March 2008, 17:14     #55
BWDOWN

even against a less than 50% accurate crusaders the canes were never in the game. They will have to play a lot better to make the semis

More importantly bar injury's will we see the 1st ever unbeaten run in super 14??
Old 30th March 2008, 23:28     #56
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Crusaders are due to lose some games, no carter for 6 weeks and brett out for just as long. MacDonald only an average kicker IMO.
Old 31st March 2008, 11:43     #57
buckies

Wacked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrack
They had to score twice to win the game, and a fairly easy kick came up with more than enough time left on the clock and the sin bin to work it back up there. Goppeth shouldn't have missed that.
They only had to score one try to salvage a result. A try would have struck them within penalty range if the conversion missed (20-18), or have the scores tied (20-20, which is a result I'm sure the players would have been happy with). If they scored the try and missed the conversion, there would have been a severe amount of pressure on the Crusaders, as any penalty in their own half would then potentially cost them the match.

Even if that penalty went over, the canes would still need a try to win, as another penalty would be insufficient. They'd have less time to do so and be doing it against 15 men thanks to the decision they opted for.

10 minutes on the clock is not a lot of time, and taking the penalty wasted valuable time when the Mose was in the sin bin. A kick to touch and a line out within 10 metres of the goal line would have been very promising given that Carter was off and the Crusaders were down to a 7 man forward pack. The rolling maul try some minutes earlier would have been in the back of the Crusader's minds.

It was one of the stupidest decisions by a captain I've seen. Nevertheless, the canes played badly and didn't deserve to win the match.

If Brett is back the Crusaders can survive. Without Brett AND Carter, they'll be in strife, as they'll probably have to rely on Leon "chargedown" MacDonald. they have a bye and the Lions so I imagine Brett will be back in time for their next major match (the Chiefs @ the Tron)
Old 31st March 2008, 14:16     #58
BWDOWN

Yea Lions are up to f*ck all esp away, so I can see Brett back by the game at the tron.
Old 3rd April 2008, 08:58     #59
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

I'm hoping Carter and Brett will be out for the Chiefs game

You guys are dreaming, the Hurricanes did extremely well to only lose by as many as they did, it was a MIRACLE they scored in the final 20 minutes and prevented the Crusaders from getting any points. I think the last time the Crusaders were prevented from scoring in the last 20 minutes was the 2007 semi-final, just face it, the Canes could not have done any better than they did, they simply aren't good enough.
Old 3rd April 2008, 12:35     #60
buckies

This weeks games....

Hurricanes/Sharks will be a good match and the toughest pick of the round. Reckon Sharks haven't been that impressive while lurking at home all season. Canes 12-.

Force should bounce back at home and put the Bulls down 12-.

Chiefs should beat Brumbies even though they are away. 12- for the away factor.

Blues should beat Tahs away. 12- for the away factor.

Highlanders to beat the Lions? Woeful vs woeful. Perhaps avoid. Hoping Highlanders get a much deserved first win though.

Cheetahs vs reds in SA. Another mug matchup. Go with the home team?
Old 3rd April 2008, 23:20     #61
Phrack

last time two mugs played i picked a draw and it came through :P
Old 4th April 2008, 09:08     #62
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Yes Phrack, and why don't you tell us about the other two draws you picked earlier on that earned you zero points hmmmmmmmmmm? Punk :P

I need to maintain my lead this week, everyone is far too close so I'm keeping my cards close to my chest, I'm picking a couple of upsets though.

Cheetahs should beat the Reds based purely on the fact their cheerleaders have their own website and some of them are very fit, I expect they'll provide an excellent distraction for the aging Latham.

The real question is, who should I pick in my fantasy team this week? Now that I've dropped Carter I have a spare 2.3 million to spend elsewhere!
Old 4th April 2008, 11:31     #63
buckies

You're picking the tahs to upset the Blues aren't you.

Sharks/Canes should be even H2H. Weird TAB thinks Canes are favourites, no doubt because it's an NZ bookie.

Surprised that they have the Cheifs as underdogs to.

All in all, this is the best weekend of betting thus far! Every game is paying around the $2.50-$3.00 mark for picking the most possible margin of victory.
Old 7th April 2008, 18:14     #64
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

ffs....
Paul Marks needs to be a big fat hairy dog up him
Old 7th April 2008, 18:47     #65
Phrack

i've only ever actually picked one draw, and it came off. Funnily enough I clicked random picks to see what would come up, and it picked the canes/sharks draw and almost every other game... should have gone with it.
Old 8th April 2008, 08:45     #66
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckies
You're picking the tahs to upset the Blues aren't you.

Sharks/Canes should be even H2H. Weird TAB thinks Canes are favourites, no doubt because it's an NZ bookie.

Surprised that they have the Cheifs as underdogs to.

All in all, this is the best weekend of betting thus far! Every game is paying around the $2.50-$3.00 mark for picking the most possible margin of victory.
I wish I picked the Tahs to upset the Blues dammit!! :P I did pick Brumbies over Chiefs and Sharks over Canes though, didn't really happen for me. Whats your player name buckies?

Phrack: Only ever picked a draw once??? You've picked lots of draws in previous competitions and you also picked Brumbies / Highlanders to be a draw in Week 2 of this competition so don't tell lies! :P
Old 8th April 2008, 18:52     #67
Phrack

dunno what crack i was smoking that week. didnt even realise i picked a draw for the brumbies... i probably came home drunk and changed my picks :P
Old 11th April 2008, 09:05     #68
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

TAB paying a very generous $3.50 for Stormers to be in the Top 4. I put $15 on it today, they have the EASIEST run of games in the remainder of the competition, should do it easy. Come on $50! :P Also, I have Casey Laulala to be top Try Scorer in competition when he was paying $20 for a cool return of $100. He's only paying $7 cos he has 4 tries and he's going to get 3 against the Lions
Old 11th April 2008, 10:58     #69
_Incubus_

Tough round this week...Hardest game to call - Force v Tahs
Old 11th April 2008, 14:37     #70
buckies

Force 12 & under. Haven't played well as of recent but are proven performers in tight matches. Clutch counts for lots.

Sharks 12- or 13+ is a big call. Noone put 13+ on Highlanders yet in House of Pain.

Last edited by buckies : 11th April 2008 at 14:42.
Old 11th April 2008, 17:00     #71
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Force beat the Bulls by 1 point and the Waratahs demolished the Blues. The Tahs will win by a smidgeon. Force suck at Subiaco.

$5 on Sharks 1st scoring play to be a drop goal $150 return - come on baby.
Old 13th April 2008, 09:47     #72
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

ahhh - to be a 'canes supporter
Old 13th April 2008, 10:33     #73
buckies

yeah finally the canes came through

Although the main test is next week. Can they do back to back performances and beat an in-form Stormers side? It'll be the game that'll determine their playoff chances.
Old 14th April 2008, 10:15     #74
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Told you the Tahs would win Some prick has knocked me off the top of the table, whose Dragoon?
Old 14th April 2008, 12:22     #75
buckies

bah, I was robbed on Tahs vs Force

That last try that gave them the match was a f*ckin fluke. Force are the better team.

Didn't matter as Stormers only won by 12 points when I had them 13+. Unlucky weekend as I stood to get back around $350 on my $20 bar these anomalies.
Old 14th April 2008, 13:39     #76
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I picked the Tahs over the Force but the Blues let me down.
Old 14th April 2008, 16:31     #77
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

I'll say stupid Blues, they let everyone down again
Old 14th April 2008, 19:11     #78
oOo Dragon oOo

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr selfdestruct
Told you the Tahs would win Some prick has knocked me off the top of the table, whose Dragoon?
That would be me

Dunno if I'll be up there long tho, given the gap between people is so damn tight
Old 15th April 2008, 09:48     #79
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

uh ha! I shall cut you down like wheat!
Old 15th April 2008, 11:19     #80
buckies

Two BIG matchups this week

Chiefs vs Crus (at Tron)
Stomers vs Canes (at Newlands)

Chiefs have to win to keep top 4 hopes alive. Have had a good streak of wins now and found their form, and had a week off with a bye. Crusaders have never really had a bad game (bar the one against the Force), but will be lacking Dan Carter and Reuben Thorne (Thorne ain't really a loss though ). TAB has Crusaders as hot favourites. Don't forget last years end of round robin upset in Christchurch though

Stormers vs Canes. Both these teams are vying for Top 4 and it's likely the winner of this encounter will make it. Both teams have hit some good form and have talent across the park. Question is which canes team will show up on the day. TAB odds are close and favouring the Stormers 12-. Picking this game right will be a good payday.

This will be the week to filter out the contenders from the pretenders.