NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > The year of rugby
User Name
Password

Old 25th June 2007, 07:22     #41
Jin

Mc Alister is a better all round player NOW.

Stop being wrong guys.
Old 25th June 2007, 10:13     #42
Griven

I'm with Jin, McAlister is a better option at 2nd five, his impact was immediate plus his extra bulk and pace "should" make him our first choice 2nd five imo. Personally i like a Carter, McAlister, Smith inside back setup.
Old 25th June 2007, 10:29     #43
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griven
I'm with Jin, McAlister is a better option at 2nd five, his impact was immediate plus his extra bulk and pace "should" make him our first choice 2nd five imo. Personally i like a Carter, McAlister, Smith inside back setup.
McAlister reminds me a bit of Carlos Spencer. I think he is a really good player, but I think he could also have a shocker. I like him coming off the bench as an impact player.
Old 25th June 2007, 12:42     #44
markE

I'd probably go with McAlister as well although ICE at this stage needs an older head inside him.
Old 25th June 2007, 12:45     #45
vorlon

I rekcon the only thing stopping McAlister becoming 1st choice at the no# 12 jeresy is experience.

Right now Mauger has got the experience, as well as the composure to get us out of trouble when we need it.

Besides when Mauger goes overseas at the end of this year, McAlister will have that jeresy all to himself, cause I believe there is no one else to step up.. yet.
Old 25th June 2007, 12:53     #46
orpheus
Jedi Knight

Upside down

theres too much geek, and not enough testosterone in this thread.

you're all wrong
Old 25th June 2007, 13:59     #47
blynk

I was also very impressed with MacDonald when he came on. I have always preferred Mills, but he didn't get into the game much. I guess that was more to do with the kicking tactics, but I would of loved to see him counter more.
Old 25th June 2007, 14:06     #48
markE

I was impressed with all the players that came on late in the piece I suppose it might of had something to do with the Saffas being cream crackered.
Old 25th June 2007, 16:20     #49
slippers

What an awesome game.

Havnt seen a good test match like that for YEARS.

Perhaps last year vs Australia was the closest.
Old 25th June 2007, 17:17     #50
vorlon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KloOcsCLF_0

If you want to re-watch the All Black's tries
Old 26th June 2007, 10:59     #51
BtP

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
And pushing a guy in front of Jerry Collins at full steam is just plain cruel.
And fucking dirty... Can't believe I didn't notice at the time.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6-fX6Eas-8
Old 10th July 2007, 19:55     #52
JERI

Saturday's team

Mils Muliaina, Doug Howlett, Isaia Toeava, Luke McAlister, Sitiveni Sivivatu, Daniel Carter, Piri Weepu; Tony Woodcock, Keven Mealamu, Carl Hayman, Keith Robinson, Chris Jack, Reuben Thorne, Richie McCaw (captain), Rodney So'oialo.

Replacements: Andrew Hore, Neemia Tialata, Jerry Collins, Chris Masoe, Brendon Leonard, Conrad Smith, Nick Evans.

I'm guessing NZ32-17SA
Old 10th July 2007, 19:58     #53
untouchable

Good team !
Old 10th July 2007, 20:47     #54
vorlon

WHAT!! Jerry not starting.... man....
Old 10th July 2007, 21:24     #55
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I wouldn't want him getting injured the week before a Bledisloe decider in a match against South Africa A.
Old 10th July 2007, 22:36     #56
JERI

Not to mention the Tri Nations decider, we need to win the rest of the two games to retain the title I think.
Old 14th July 2007, 16:35     #57
ZoSo

Anything other than a solid start and continued points throughout the game tonight, has to be considered a failure, surely? If they have another crap start or first half, then blow out in the 2nd half, then I still think the AB's are still average and are in the realms of another RWC choke.
Old 14th July 2007, 16:49     #58
blynk

Yeah, unfortunately they need to have an excellent performance all round for the full 80 minutes. Especially the fact we are playing the SA 'B' side.
Old 14th July 2007, 19:57     #59
silva^

wtf, sky sport not working for anyone else????? They got 30 minutes to get that shit sorted pronto !
Old 14th July 2007, 20:06     #60
Ard Righ

I think the team on the field is what we needed to start with, a team that can be 'clinical' ?

The ABs in the passed few Tri-Nations games have wanted to go on as they have before, playing full-flight running rugby, instead of controlling and pressuring the other team as much as they could have done.

Average start is better than being behind like Aussie were last week. We should be worried about:

A) Not dropping the ball
B) Not making try-killing bad decisions
C) Not turning over the ball in the rucks

Carter should be kicking more tonight, in the cold the ball will do strange things in the hands. Territory is where we can pressure the Springboks, with their replacement fullback.

Will have to wait and see if the gameplan is 'run at all costs' or 'hold the ball cold weather' rugby.
Old 14th July 2007, 21:26     #61
Ard Righ

9 handling errors in the first half, and 1 blown try so far. They're still trying to run it from everywhere when they should be looking for more kicks.

Good to see Carter with 2 nice punts from the 22, they don't need to be playing down their end of the field with the dropsies they have at the moment
Old 14th July 2007, 22:18     #62
blur^

lol @ last try

shitty game, but with a positive end
why didnt we play the whole game like the last 15 mins? *shrug*

aus will be interesting
Old 14th July 2007, 22:25     #63
chiQ
Frag-muff

The handling errors need to be looked at, but I think the boks were defending hard enough to have seriously hampered us, even without the mistakes. It was only when they were knackered that we started scoring tries. It was a good game to watch.

Nice to see a couple of the newer caps making their mark too
Old 14th July 2007, 22:40     #64
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

If we play like that against the Wallabies, we'll get ganked.
Old 14th July 2007, 22:42     #65
untouchable

Its soo frustrating that even though we won buy a huge margin as an All Black supporter I cant not focus on the some of the negative.

If im lookign at the positives.

So'oialo had another huge game, as did Muliana. The bench also made a big impact. Scrum looks as solid as ever even without some 1st stringers in the forwards. Our defence was also very good.

negatives.

Carter still not showing his best. A few average decisions/ and kicks when we could have counterattacked ( probably coaches instructions to play safe tho ). Couple of average lineouts. And 15 handling errors!!!.

I think we played our best phase of rugby after the hooter had gone. That minute or so was as good as we have looked all season.

Last edited by untouchable : 14th July 2007 at 22:44.
Old 14th July 2007, 23:35     #66
Ard Righ

Cheesy grin

Agree with the positives. McAllister seemed more relaxed at 12 also, and Howlett was very busy looking for the ball which was good to see.

However I think we needed to kick more, when we were trying to run from the 22. Even Richie after the game noted the team were too impatient, and not setting phases and trying to finish everything too quickly!

With 15 handling errors, in RWC year, do you REALLY want them to run the ball from EVERYWHERE ?

Lineouts are as steady as always but the lack of scrum ball was telling. Up until the last quarter, we had 1 scrum feed, from what the commentators mentioned.

I hope they stick with McAllister next week for the Aussie game, will be interesting who else they pull out of the lottery as the 'top team'
Old 15th July 2007, 00:43     #67
Eraser

It wasn't until the last 10 minutes or so, when the subs came on, they played like All Blacks, or a team.
Old 15th July 2007, 10:42     #68
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eraser
It wasn't until the last 10 minutes or so, when the subs came on, they played like All Blacks, or a team.
Yeah, thats happened in other games as well.

I didn't mind the game so much. We never looked like losing it. The boks never looked like they were going to score. The only way would have been an intercept, and I we were definitely careful of that.

Still lots of handling errors, even with those handling errors we are still kicking arse.
Old 15th July 2007, 15:57     #69
Griven

The subs made the difference imo, moreso at halfback instead of a sluggish pass we now had a halfback that would get to the ruck fast, obtain the ball and fire out nice crisp passes that gave the backline some front foot ball. So many times in the first half you would see players getting crap passes they had to stop and catch then start running again which removed all fluidity from the move they were doing.
Also lack of Jerry was noticeable Mr Invisible his replacement for this game didnt rate a mention from the commentators until midway 2nd half when he dropped a pass that should have lead to a try.
Hopefully the backline for Aussie will look like Leonard, Carter, McAlister, Smith, Sivi, Roko, Muliania.
Also the bombing of at least 2 trys through poor decisions is a concern, 5 on 2 overlap and mils does a chip through i mean open your eyes man your better than that!
Old 15th July 2007, 17:13     #70
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
The only way would have been an intercept, and I we were definitely careful of that.
ORLY?

there were heaps of lob, 50/50 passes that not only didn't get to whoever they were intended, but only just narrowly missed being snapped up by the opposition..... the ABs simply aren't playing well enough to pretend to be the Harlem Globefuckingtrotters!!
Old 15th July 2007, 17:24     #71
Sp0nge

im glad the ABs havent peaked yet, cos that bodes well for the world cup.

youre always going to get some handling errors, and as long as theyre not at critical times that shouldnt have much long term significance.

now the next game against oz, will be the best guide as to how the ABs will go in the world cup:

Henry will try all to avoid losing that one.
he needs to regain the psychological upper hand pre-world-cup.
it will be a high pressure game mentally for him and the abs.
we're going to see more of his trump cards.
i expect a few surprises.
and at least a 10 point win.
Old 15th July 2007, 19:07     #72
Spidey

Please use conrad
That is all.
Old 15th July 2007, 20:31     #73
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Lately, I've been almost squirming in embarrassment during the haka. Not because I don't love it, but because I associate it with a mindset of ASS-KICKING. And the All Blacks just aren't doing it right now. It's like we put on this display to the opposition of "WE'RE GONNA RIP OFF YOUR HEAD AND SHIT DOWN YOUR NECK" and then process to limp-wristedly slap them a bit.
Old 15th July 2007, 20:45     #74
ZoSo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Lately, I've been almost squirming in embarrassment during the haka.
Sure it's not just watching Kelleher? White guys shouldn't overdo it imo.
Old 15th July 2007, 21:05     #75
_Incubus_

It is interesting that the game plan has not deviated from the tri-nations opening match. The AB's seem to be playing a very one dimensional game..Run it out, pass it as fast as you can through the backline and hope for a break...No rolling mauls, no kicking properly for field position, no bombing...its either A)very clever not letting people know we have a game plan for the RWC or B)We only have the run and gun gameplan..
Old 17th July 2007, 00:55     #76
[WanG] Wandarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo
Sure it's not just watching Kelleher? White guys shouldn't overdo it imo.
Hehe, so true. So very true.
Old 17th July 2007, 16:48     #77
JERI

This guy's got the problem all figured out: we need Carl Hayman to grow his beard back.