Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > The year of rugby
User Name
Password

Old 12th February 2010, 09:43     #1
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

NRL 2010

Well, the Warriors have started on a positive note!

Elijah Taylor, out for the season; torn ACL at training. Just days after he was named in the side for the trail this weekend.

Looking forward to watching the All-Stars game tomorrow night at least.
Old 12th February 2010, 10:59     #2
Juju
get to da choppa

keen to see Shaun Johnson strut his stuff.
Hopefully having Tate on board will get them rarked up a bit. They turned pretty soft in their attack towards the end last year.
I think Ukuma Ta'ai (Or Akumamatata as we call him) still has a good chance to grow and show what he could be capable of this season, but thats a 50/50 call. Finally I hope McKinnon can go back to his form of before his injury, because man he was lackluster last year.
Old 12th February 2010, 11:09     #3
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

The big question is though, where will Hohaia play?
Old 12th February 2010, 11:22     #4
Juju
get to da choppa

Fucked if I know. He is still such a big play maker and dangerous, but yea.. fullback is taken by Locke and Wade. Seymour has drunk his way into the halves. I dunno, but I know I do want him somewhere haha
Old 15th February 2010, 13:36     #5
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Great game on Saturday night! Love Sailor's post-try celebration.

Warirors trial win as well, from the sounds of it they were running Maloney/Seymour at 7&6 for the most part, then mixed it up as you do in trials.
Old 15th February 2010, 20:41     #6
-Dr.J-

Why is this in here???
Old 16th February 2010, 10:42     #7
Juju
get to da choppa

Rugby league...duh
Old 16th February 2010, 19:24     #8
Ultimative

Hopefully (and my God I am hoping) things can't be worse this year than last year.

I'm pretty relieved to be hearing that Seymour went well in the trials. Having a good half is something we've needed for many seasons now. Would love to see 6. Seymour 7. Johnson in action for one of the trials, I reckon that would be a killer combo.

As for the whole McKinnon thing, if he gets back to his best it'll be fantastic, but anything short and he should be punted pretty damn fast for Locke. Hohaia should be the startng hooker, imo. Not his greatest position but Henderson is just aimless. Biff him and put in Mara.

24 days to go!
Old 19th February 2010, 12:45     #9
Macca@Work

At least Peter Woepati won't be back this season to enthrall us with his l33t commentating.I'm hoping this will be make-or-break for Cleary though..he's had enough chances.
Old 19th February 2010, 12:50     #10
David

What good is sacking the coach when no other coach has done anything except Daniel Anderson?

The problem for the Warriors ALWAYS comes back to one thing, the halves. When we have a set of inform halves, we dominate. When we don't have a set of inform halves, we get the shit stomped out of us.
Old 19th February 2010, 12:51     #11
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimative
Hopefully (and my God I am hoping) things can't be worse this year than last year.

I'm pretty relieved to be hearing that Seymour went well in the trials. Having a good half is something we've needed for many seasons now. Would love to see 6. Seymour 7. Johnson in action for one of the trials, I reckon that would be a killer combo.

As for the whole McKinnon thing, if he gets back to his best it'll be fantastic, but anything short and he should be punted pretty damn fast for Locke. Hohaia should be the startng hooker, imo. Not his greatest position but Henderson is just aimless. Biff him and put in Mara.

24 days to go!
Nah, Hohaia as a utility off the bench makes the most sense. If one of the halves isn't performing, you can slot him in - if the fullback isn't performing, you can slot him in, he makes a good utility impact player and could become our version of PJ (now that PJ has gone again)
Old 19th February 2010, 12:56     #12
Macca@Work

It wasn't the halves though..it was a lot of different things.It was Campo-tough as nuts with a big fast forward pack and the backs playing with polynesian flair and love for the game.You can't just say "it was the halves"
because it wasn't imo.It was all the factors that make a good team that just happened to align at the right time.Which is why we've been crap ever since.
Old 19th February 2010, 13:22     #13
-Dr.J-

Rugby is Rugby. League is League. Would you put Tennis in this category? No. What about Mountain Biking. Probably not. So why do we have to dump the worlds best sport in a shitty Union forum. RANT GWAA GWAA GWAAAA
Old 19th February 2010, 13:23     #14
David

Shut the fuck up you chubby gimp.

It makes sense to have both in one location, it would actually make sense to change this to a "sporting" forum, but in any case, this is where the discussion for NRL is.
Old 19th February 2010, 13:23     #15
crocos

Rugby Union is Rugby Union, Rugby League is Rugby League.

Dr.J is... Well, I won't go there

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 19th February 2010, 13:24     #16
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macca@Work
It wasn't the halves though..it was a lot of different things.It was Campo-tough as nuts with a big fast forward pack and the backs playing with polynesian flair and love for the game.You can't just say "it was the halves"
because it wasn't imo.It was all the factors that make a good team that just happened to align at the right time.Which is why we've been crap ever since.
I think last year and the year before, we had really decent foward packs and go forward movement. The year where McKinnon set the comp on fire, we had the backs and forwards, we just didn't have the halves to set up the play.

You take an Andrew Johns/Thurston/Orford/Kimmorely type talent and apply it to this team and they'd be near unbeatable.
Old 19th February 2010, 13:28     #17
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David
The problem for the Warriors ALWAYS comes back to one thing, the halves. When we have a set of inform halves, we dominate. When we don't have a set of inform halves, we get the shit stomped out of us.
The warriors have never really had a set of in-form halves though. They always struggled to find a 6 to match with Jones.

IIRC Even when they made the grand final they chopped and changed number 6 throughout the year, and at least two of the games in the finals series were won without Stacey Jones, with Hohaia having to fill in at 7 in his first season.

Macca's right, it's a whole team thing.
Old 19th February 2010, 13:30     #18
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Dr.J-
Probably not. So why do we have to dump the worlds best sport in a shitty Union forum. RANT GWAA GWAA GWAAAA
Simply because in general forum it'll get shunted off the front page around Wednesday every week once people stop talking about the weekends game, and then we have to go digging to resurrect it every time.. Here it'll stay on the front page due to the low threadcount
Old 19th February 2010, 13:33     #19
David

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladin
The warriors have never really had a set of in-form halves though. They always struggled to find a 6 to match with Jones.

IIRC Even when they made the grand final they chopped and changed number 6 throughout the year, and at least two of the games in the finals series were won without Stacey Jones, with Hohaia having to fill in at 7 in his first season.

Macca's right, it's a whole team thing.
Winning pretty comes down to a team thing, if the Warriors fire up and their passes stick, they can win without a great set of halves due to how powerful and talented their backs and fowards generally are.

A great set of halves gives you consistency though, it lets you win ugly - you can win the games you otherwise lose 18-20, etcetera. It means you don't have to be on fire to win.

Wasn't there year we made the Minor Premiership either the same year John Simon played or the year just after when Hohaia was playing really well?
Old 19th February 2010, 13:37     #20
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Nah Simon played for the Warriors 99 and 00.

02 when they made the minor premiership and GF it was Motu Tony and Hohaia fighting over 6 for the most part and maybe one other guy, with Hohaia shifting to 7 when Jones was out.
Old 19th February 2010, 13:40     #21
David

Motu wasn't a bad player in his day, Hohaia can be absolutely legendary too and I remember that being the year that he played really impressively.

I've just always felt, if they attracted a top level half to the club when Jones was there, they would have become a lot like the Broncos when the Broncos were near unbeatable.

Broncos had Webcke, Tallis, Carroll and co doing the damage for them upfront, with Sailor, Tuqiri, Lockyer, etc at the back - but they always had a great pair of halves to go with it.

Look at how much Orford bought to Manly.
Old 20th February 2010, 11:23     #22
MrTTTT

shall we get a virtual league going? think jimungo is decent for it unless someone knows a better one
Old 20th February 2010, 13:32     #23
Macca@Work

ypu i'd be up for that.
Old 22nd February 2010, 09:48     #24
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Another trial win - though it's hard to get excited about that considering they won all three last year and look what happened.

Seems to be a toss-up between Seymour/Maloney and Seymour/Moon to be the first choice 7&6 from the match reports. Johnson apparently did well at 7 when they brought him in for the last quarter but I'm fairly sure they'll keep in in the U20s this year barring injury to Seymour.

Hohaia played 80 minutes at fullback as McKinnon and Locke both missed the game, and scored 2 tries. Heremaia seems to be making a good grab at the starting 9 spot with a try in each game so far.
Old 22nd February 2010, 18:14     #25
QWERTY?

whos goal kicking? moon?

hopefully this year they have a pretty stable group, last year the first few weeks of the season destroyed them, with the loss of tate, fien being released, and that other fellow (who played for otago last year) being released as well.
Old 22nd February 2010, 18:43     #26
Maulmonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWERTY?
whos goal kicking? moon?

hopefully this year they have a pretty stable group, last year the first few weeks of the season destroyed them, with the loss of tate, fien being released, and that other fellow (who played for otago last year) being released as well.

Yeah the goal kicking dude... that was like 85% accuracy. I wonder what happened to him, he still playing union for otago?
Old 23rd February 2010, 07:30     #27
QWERTY?

im pretty sure he doesnt play union anymore, well at least not for otago.
Old 23rd February 2010, 16:09     #28
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by QWERTY?
whos goal kicking? moon?
Everyone but from the looks

From the cowboys game
Brett Seymour conversion; Kevin Locke conversion; Aaron Heremaia conversion; Shaun Johnson conversion

were 5 tries so someone missed one, doesn't say who.

Seymour kicked 3 conversions during the roosters trial.. 5 tries there as well.
Old 23rd February 2010, 22:18     #29
Ultimative

Heremaia can kick too? With some time to settle, a Hohaia/Heremaia hooking combo might be good until Mara is ready.

Also, IIRC Witt has gone to Super League.
Old 27th February 2010, 06:00     #30
QWERTY?

Tate & McKinnon playing in the trial, is anyone going?
Old 27th February 2010, 12:18     #31
JP

Yeah am going tonight.
Old 27th February 2010, 18:19     #32
MrTTTT

Witt, 'the goalkicking guy', is playing in the Superleague now, for the Welsh team 'Celtic Crusaders'.
Old 27th February 2010, 21:22     #33
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

16-16 for the Manly trial. Not bad.
Old 4th March 2010, 10:08     #34
ZoSo

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/l...0303-pj2l.html

Going to be good to watch, for sure. Hopefully not a killer combo when playing the Warriors!
Old 9th March 2010, 19:02     #35
pig

Seriously hope they are pulling a bait & switch with them naming McKinnon on the bench & that he will in fact start & Hohaia will be on the bench.
Mannering is still injured as are Price & Lillyman.

New Zealand Warriors: Lance Hohaia, Kevin Locke, Brent Tate, Jerome Ropati, Manu Vatuvei, James Maloney, Brett Seymour, Sam Rapira, Aaron Heremaia, Russell Packer, Lewis Brown, Ben Matulino, Micheal Luck (capt). Interchange: Wade McKinnon, Jeremy Latimore, Jesse Royal, Sione Lousi, Joel Moon. (one to be omitted)
Old 10th March 2010, 09:23     #36
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Most likely means McKinnon isn't 100% over his injury so they don't want to play him for 80 mins.. Probably Lance will do 30 mins at FB then switch to hooker
Old 10th March 2010, 10:24     #37
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Interesting looking over the other team lists.. Grant Rovelli at 6 for cowboys, Denan Kemp on the wing for the Broncos, Evarn Tuimavave starting for the knights. Will be interesting to see how they perform!
Old 11th March 2010, 18:42     #38
pig

Also Fien starting at hooker or maybe halfback for the Dragons if Hornby doesn't play.
Old 12th March 2010, 11:12     #39
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

McKinnon out due to an infection. Wonder how this will reshuffle things if they haven't taken Mara over. Moon on the bench covering the hooker role, or Heremaia playing 80 minutes?
Old 12th March 2010, 11:21     #40
nostrom0

Angry talking

Arrgh, take this thread out of the rugby forum!!!!