Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > The year of rugby
User Name
Password

Old 15th October 2007, 10:24     #1
Dredd

Why the hatred?..

ok.. this is a genuine question and not a wind up

Why the English hatred?.. as an Englishman myself and having lived here over 24 years its something that has puzzled me?, reading some of these threads some of the vitriol aimed at the English is quite staggering,

Is it envy? - That the English have done better than us in recent Rugby World Cups?.

Is it the percieved arrogance of the English? - when really there was only one team had this won before they even got to france and that was the AB's.

Is it the style of rugby? - some say its negative, but personally i found the game on sunday to be quite intense.

Its not just in this thread its all over the media and in the commentators voices, they all wanted france to win,why?.

anyway this is an invitation to some of the haters to explain the hatred.

Oh, and like i said in opening i have lived here for 24 years already and consider NZ 'home', before some genious says "why dont you fuck off home then"
Old 15th October 2007, 10:28     #2
[WanG] Wandarah

it's primarily because they are cunts.

i assure you, the english winning anything, is insufferable - the delusion, the sheer embarassing hero worship, its insane.

in short, it's cause they are cunts.

if you're 24 years out, perhaps you dont remember.
Old 15th October 2007, 10:35     #3
Dredd

Ok.. nice of you to step forward and lay it on the line like that..

The English hardly win anything so why would you deny them their place in the sun when they do?..

Delusion.. hardly.. we know we're crap.. thats why we go crazy when we actually do win something..

and lol you cant talk about hero worship.. this being the country that puts the AB's on a pedestal / bill boards / tv ads / little plastic toys etc

still thanks for your input, but im still none the wiser..
Old 15th October 2007, 10:38     #4
[fe]

Clive Woodward
Old 15th October 2007, 10:41     #5
slippers

What wandarah said.

Its mostly your media that accenuates the hatred though.

The whole "we are the current world champions" thing...... England are the only team that have continued to call themselves 'World Champions' for the 4 years after the world cup. I feel embarassed for England sometimes.

Winning the World Cup makes you the world champions until you lose a game... The Rugby world cup is just a 3 match tournament.
Old 15th October 2007, 10:42     #6
[WanG] Wandarah

you're english, you cant possibly understand.

i dont know how to lay it on the line, they're cunts.

if they win this world cup, they would've won it through not as the english papers say - sheer heroism, bravado, etc. they would've won it because they're *lucky*. the rugby played is average at best, the teams they play, seem to play at average at best.

the sense of national idenity of the english is so wounded, that if they win, they will over exaggerate, and consider themselves gods. the attitude is not that of people that win rarely, but that of people that when they do win, it is because they are *fundamentally* better in some way.

if nz won, it would be because we were better at rugby than the english. not that we are better people. with the english, it is almost the opposite.

i am in england. i can show you as many examples as you may desire given time.
Old 15th October 2007, 10:52     #7
[WanG] Wandarah

ok, well, perhaps it's just london.
Old 15th October 2007, 10:55     #8
Dredd

Quote:
Originally Posted by [WanG] Wandarah
if they win this world cup, they would've won it through not as the english papers say - sheer heroism, bravado, etc. they would've won it because they're *lucky*. the rugby played is average at best, the teams they play, seem to play at average at best.
I couldn't agree more.. but one thing for sure is the national pride in playing for thier country is a head and shoulders above NZ isnt it?.. or was it the fear of losing that made the AB's fold like a deck of cards?

Quote:
the sense of national idenity of the english is so wounded, that if they win, they will over exaggerate, and consider themselves gods. the attitude is not that of people that win rarely, but that of people that when they do win, it is because they are *fundamentally* better in some way.

if nz won, it would be because we were better at rugby than the english. not that we are better people. with the english, it is almost the opposite.

i am in england. i can show you as many examples as you may desire given time.
Possibly but i couldnt say for sure that the English were more arrogant than the New Zealanders, which is what you're really saying here isnt it?..

I mean lets face it the AB's had the world cup in the trophy cabenet long before they left for france..
Old 15th October 2007, 10:57     #9
slippers

England play a style of rugby that forces the match into a russian roulette 1 on 1 and England fancy their chances in the toss of a coin over actually trying to compete..... 2003 was no different.

I'd like to see England come back from 36-0 though. Seriously.
Old 15th October 2007, 10:57     #10
Dredd

Quote:
ok, well, perhaps it's just london.
ahh i wouldnt have a clue on that .. like i say its been 24 years since i was in england .. only ever went to london twice in my life.. you'd know it a lot better than i would..
Old 15th October 2007, 11:00     #11
slippers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd
Possibly but i couldnt say for sure that the English were more arrogant than the New Zealanders, which is what you're really saying here isnt it?..

I mean lets face it the AB's had the world cup in the trophy cabenet long before they left for france..
OF COURSE England are more arrogant......lol

No kiwi was claiming that the cup would be ours and that we just needed to turn up. We're not that stupid.

BUT - based on form, anyone would have picked the All Blacks to win if they were betting their mother's house with her in it... Thats not arrogance.
Old 15th October 2007, 11:00     #12
Dredd

Quote:
Originally Posted by slippers
England play a style of rugby that forces the match into a russian roulette 1 on 1 and England fancy their chances in the toss of a coin over actually trying to compete..... 2003 was no different.

I'd like to see England come back from 36-0 though. Seriously.
could also be said England play a style of Rugby that wins.. but yes free-flowing and attractive it aint.. but to me i still found it intense..

im not sure about your comments on competing though.. ask the Aussie front Row if they felt England were competing.. hell even ask the french.. i think England competed very well in both games..
Old 15th October 2007, 11:02     #13
slippers

Quote:
could also be said England play a style of Rugby that wins..
Heads or tails wins too.... invariably...... The kicking game is a cop out. Any time a player kicks in rugby is a cop out basically unless its in their own 22.
Old 15th October 2007, 11:07     #14
[WanG] Wandarah

Quote:
I couldn't agree more.. but one thing for sure is the national pride in playing for thier country is a head and shoulders above NZ isnt it?.. or was it the fear of losing that made the AB's fold like a deck of cards?
honestly? i dont know if you can compare that shit, but i'd be surprised if you found an all black that wasnt stoked and excited and proud about meeting being in the world cup. and representing new zealand

as for folding in the world cup. i dont think we did. i think we've gotten used to winning by 40+ and so people expect that shit all the time. when in the world cup we run into a team that is fuckin tight and determined, we look like just another rugby team - and in my opinion, one that was hard done by. but, ya know, no excuses. and yes, i felt the same for argentina in the 1st half tonight...in the 2nd they fucked themselves. nz didnt play really, really well and perhaps we should've - but we didnt lose cause we 'choked'. we lost cause we were outplayed and the french had the 'run of the green'.

Quote:

in my experience, the only people that thought it was in the bag, had fuck all to do with nz. every kiwi i've spoken to was far from sure on the night we played france, and even more worried about australia and sa next (as it stood by logic at the time)
Old 15th October 2007, 11:08     #15
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

I just hate their style of play , yhea it works but it's fucking dour.
Old 15th October 2007, 11:09     #16
slippers

I think people offen assume we are complacent or arrogant just because of what -they- really think about the All Blacks if they are honest with themselves.
Old 15th October 2007, 11:12     #17
Dredd

Quote:
Heads or tails wins too.... invariably...... The kicking game is a cop out. Any time a player kicks in rugby is a cop out basically unless its in their own 22.
ahh now we touch on something...

call me a Rugby noob but its something i never understood.. why the fuck after spending 5 mins on defence grinding away and eventually getting a turnover do you kick it back to the opposition?..

and just so you know where i stand i too belive the points for a drop goal are too much.. i have done ever since we got knocked out of the world cup by australia and South africa..
Old 15th October 2007, 11:15     #18
[WanG] Wandarah

if you simply adopt the presupposition that they are all cunts, dredd, it all becomes clear.
Old 15th October 2007, 11:18     #19
Dredd

Quote:
if you simply adopt the presupposition that they are all cunts, dredd, it all becomes clear.
Sorry cant do that because.. well really its all rather childish aint it..

i dont consider myself to be a cunt.. i dont consider my mum and dad to be cunts.. nor my brother... although he can be on occasion, i certainly dont consider my old nan bless her heart to be a cunt either.. so really i just cant do it..
Old 15th October 2007, 11:21     #20
Fitz

I am stoked England are in the finals! Not all kiwis hate the English, I reckon the only reason most NZers got behind France is because if France win then the ABs don't look as bad. England has helped NZ throughout our history, the French blew up the rainbow warrior; saving face in the rugby means more than most things to NZers, we really do rate ourselves too highly in the rugby stakes.
Old 15th October 2007, 11:22     #21
[WanG] Wandarah

but dont you see? that makes you an enormous cunt.

and by the way, your grandmother is a cunt too.
Old 15th October 2007, 11:23     #22
[WanG] Wandarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz
I am stoked England are in the finals! Not all kiwis hate the English, I reckon the only reason most NZers got behind France is because if France win then the ABs don't look as bad. England has helped NZ throughout our history, the French blew up the rainbow warrior;
shut up with all your sense and logic! cunts! cunts!
Old 15th October 2007, 11:27     #23
Fitz

I just can't sit back and watch you mindfuck a child of the motherland
Old 15th October 2007, 11:28     #24
Dredd

Quote:
but dont you see? that makes you an enormous cunt.

and by the way, your grandmother is a cunt too.

shame you started out by making some sense.. but now you just look silly...

so in your case i just put it down to envy.. you wish you were English.. hell you're living over there it cant be that bad, thats ok.. go down to the local sports shop buy your self a replica shirt (if you dont already have one) and cheer away..
Old 15th October 2007, 11:29     #25
[WanG] Wandarah

well as long as i dont look silly alone, thanks for joining in man. cup of tea?
Old 15th October 2007, 11:32     #26
Dredd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitz
the French blew up the rainbow warrior;
Damn you beat me to it i was going to use this later as well as the pacific nulcear testing.. and yes the English did some testing down here too but it was in Australia for gods sake give them some credit!!
Old 15th October 2007, 11:35     #27
Dredd

Quote:
well as long as i dont look silly alone, thanks for joining in man. cup of tea?
nah thanks mate .. hate tea.. a gin and tonic on the other hand wouldnt go amiss..
Old 15th October 2007, 11:38     #28
[WanG] Wandarah

Quote:
nah thanks mate .. hate tea.. a gin and tonic on the other hand wouldnt go amiss..
bro, i found the best gin over here. it doesnt even taste like gin, it tastes like claudias concentrate cunt juice. delicious.

unfortunately i cant remember the name, because i've drunk too much whiskey.

good day to you.
Old 15th October 2007, 11:39     #29
Dredd

Quote:
bro, i found the best gin over here. it doesnt even taste like gin, it tastes like claudias concentrate cunt juice. delicious.

good day to you.
well thats a shame.. dont suppose you send me some next time you're down the 'offy' could ya?..
Old 15th October 2007, 11:42     #30
[WanG] Wandarah

i well could, proper like innit
Old 15th October 2007, 11:43     #31
Dredd

smashing!..
Old 15th October 2007, 12:04     #32
Kanz

Quote:
What wandarah said.

Its mostly your media that accenuates the hatred though.

The whole "we are the current world champions" thing...... England are the only team that have continued to call themselves 'World Champions' for the 4 years after the world cup. I feel embarassed for England sometimes.

Winning the World Cup makes you the world champions until you lose a game... The Rugby world cup is just a 3 match tournament.

Quote:
you're english, you cant possibly understand.

i dont know how to lay it on the line, they're cunts.

hmm sounds exactly like NZ to me..
Old 15th October 2007, 13:46     #33
xor

Quote:
smashing!..
What Watt!
Old 15th October 2007, 14:06     #34
Fluffer

Funny how the media in both NZ media call the English arrogant and the English media call New Zealanders arrogant. Both sides are equally proud of their teams for different reasons.

The usual respect between teams has gotten less and less within the fan bases and media and that's a shame for me. It reminds me of the football fan bases where people hate you just because they don't know any different - i.e Rangers vs. Celtic.

Go England!
Old 15th October 2007, 14:13     #35
?>Superman

Quote:

good day to you.
LOL
Old 15th October 2007, 14:21     #36
fixed_truth

Laugh

Quote:
by the way, your grandmother is a cunt
classic
Old 15th October 2007, 14:28     #37
Sp0nge

Quote:
Why the English hatred?
I dont hate you, cunt
Old 15th October 2007, 14:30     #38
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
What Watt!

yea a'ight lets go down to the offy and throw a quid on a bo'l of white lightning, gap it to the chippy and get some chips n gravy, go get proper liquoured and score some essex chavvies.
Old 15th October 2007, 14:36     #39
Dredd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sp0nge
I dont have cunt
fixed to explain the obvious anger...
Old 15th October 2007, 16:59     #40
badassmofo

England taking a victory lap in 97. That is all.