User Name
Password

Old 2nd August 2009, 15:53     #521
chubby

http://www.thestandard.org.nz/double-standards-2/
Old 2nd August 2009, 16:42     #522
chubby

Laugh

^^ hah... oh noes- a link to a grotty partisan blog.
Old 2nd August 2009, 20:01     #523
Draco T Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
OK, Bill English.

The foaming-at-the-mouth Draco T Standard position: evil capitalist farmer uses a trust to screw the proletariat!

Devil's advocate position: the guy is the MP for Clutha in Southland; having him based in Wellington and flying to his electorate when necessary is cheaper on the taxpayer than having him based in Clutha and flying to Wellington when necessary (because he needs to be in Wellington a lot). So the taxpayers are saving money by having him in Wellington.

My position: Bill English is a fucking idiot and deserves to be sacked from cabinet. Taking $1000 of taxpayer dollars a week to live in his own house, what a great move. Oh, what's that you say, the house isn't in his name it's actually owned by a family trust? Well gee, that looks so much better doesn't it? Because as everyone knows the use of taxpayer funds in conjunction with a trust is always a fucking public relations win, isn't it? Fuck me, has English noticed what's going on in the British parliament right now? Did he stop to think that his own situation might, you know, look a bit dodgy? While he was lecturing the country about hard times and tightening all our belts and everyone making sacrifices? GENIOUS_AT_WORK. $52,000 a year is peanuts but it's a very bad look and this affair makes me seriously doubt his judgement.
Woah, you and I agree on something (That doesn't include the foaming at the mouth bit )

The devils advocate position is bollox because he and his family are living in Wellington and have been for a few years. His house in Southland is, according to some sources, rented out.
Old 2nd August 2009, 22:04     #524
fidgit
Always itchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Meatball
Oh yeah, as long as we exclude certain portions of data - which also happen to be the most recent and therefore arguably the most relevant - then we get the answer we want!

What the data doesn't show is the reason for these abortions. It's something of a tenuous link between sex-ed in high schools and abortion in society.

Here's the thing though: Macca reckons that sex ed in schools doesn't achieve anything. He has no real basis for saying that, but hey - that's his opinion. What he isn't clear on is why he thinks it's failing and what does he suggest is done about it. What's his alternative? No sex ed in schools at all? Abstinence perhaps? Up the bum, no babies?

I believe that sex ed in schools is worthwhile and is worth sticking with. The programme itself may not be perfect and there may be room for improvement in the way it is taught. What I don't see are any better ideas.
I erred in not being more specific in my comment supporting Macca - I disagree with his opinion regarding sex-ed not working, I do agree with his assesment that abortion rates continue to increase. (The last two years going down slightly will hopefully be the beginning of a trend though).

QWERTY, the link I posted will give you that info, or search the stats website - chiquelete is right, the average age for abortions has remained ~25 since 1980.

Bill's been living in Karori for ages now - his family have lived there when he was still in opposition - the kids go to Wellington schools, and his wife works in Wellington. My initial thinking on this was: well if he wasn't taking the $1000 but living at home, he'd be taking the $1000 and living in an apartment in town. But since Simon pointed out it's more than I make in a year that he's taking, for the privilege of living in the same house he's lived in for quite some time, now I'm kinda pissed.

And yet, entirely without recourse. I guess I could give him shit next time I see him in public, but he always seems kind of 'brain switched off' when he's not in front of a camera.
Old 2nd August 2009, 22:30     #525
Thomas Meatball

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgit
I erred in not being more specific in my comment supporting Macca - I disagree with his opinion regarding sex-ed not working, I do agree with his assesment that abortion rates continue to increase. (The last two years going down slightly will hopefully be the beginning of a trend though).
I hope so too. However, I was taking Macca at his exact word - that abortion rates are not getting lower. If the guy wasn't so thick, he might have phrased it more accurately in the first place and perhaps he could've even put forward a more articulate argument. But that's just wishful thinking. It was amusing for me to see that I didn't have to insult him or really even bait him in any way for him to froth at the mouth like the angry little retard he is. Fun experiment. Fun times on nzgames!
Old 2nd August 2009, 23:08     #526
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Meatball
... I didn't have to insult him or really even bait him in any way for him to froth at the mouth...
But it's even funnier when you throw a highbrow insult his way and he completely misses it, or still interprets it as an insult, but for all the wrong reasons

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 2nd August 2009, 23:54     #527
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Didn't Phillida Bunkle get bundled out of parliament for pretty much the same thing as English?
Old 3rd August 2009, 00:13     #528
Crankshaw
Nasty Butler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladin
Didn't Phillida Bunkle get bundled out of parliament for pretty much the same thing as English?
If wikipedia is to be believed she resigned over the same thing but was later cleared of any deliberate wrongdoing.

I dont know whether resigned = pushed.
Old 3rd August 2009, 06:41     #529
chubby

the baying of the dittoheads made it better for her to go.
not this time though.

i guess we're living in different times. (thank you paula)
Old 3rd August 2009, 07:21     #530
ZeroBC
Quaking Legend

They haven't had much time, but they really should start spending their broadband upgrade package now on people who need it.
Old 3rd August 2009, 10:19     #531
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidgit
Bill's been living in Karori for ages now - his family have lived there when he was still in opposition - the kids go to Wellington schools, and his wife works in Wellington. My initial thinking on this was: well if he wasn't taking the $1000 but living at home, he'd be taking the $1000 and living in an apartment in town. But since Simon pointed out it's more than I make in a year that he's taking, for the privilege of living in the same house he's lived in for quite some time, now I'm kinda pissed.
I just don't understand why he needed to accept the money he knew he wasn't entitled to. You'd think he would just live in his house with his family & and forgo the payment - it's not like he needed the money to live there was it?
Old 3rd August 2009, 11:10     #532
ZoSo

Bennett probably having to apologise and English being a dick, aside - If the One News Colmar Brunton Poll is anything to go by, you'd have to go back to the orignal question "National Thus Far" and say: still going great.

Another -1% over English perhaps next month?
Old 3rd August 2009, 11:49     #533
Hory

If governments are judged by opinion polling during their time in office then the first term of GW Bush was the greatest presidency of all time.
Old 3rd August 2009, 12:03     #534
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
I just don't understand why he needed to accept the money he knew he wasn't entitled to. You'd think he would just live in his house with his family & and forgo the payment - it's not like he needed the money to live there was it?
Well, that's the problem - he is entitled to it. It's perfectly legal and in line with parliamentary rules.

It's just greedy and stupid. And I don't like the thought of having a greedy stupid Minister of Finance.
Old 3rd August 2009, 14:39     #535
Dusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Well, that's the problem - he is entitled to it. It's perfectly legal and in line with parliamentary rules.

It's just greedy and stupid. And I don't like the thought of having a greedy stupid Minister of Finance.

Did you vote National?...
Old 3rd August 2009, 15:22     #536
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I voted National (electorate vote) to get RID of a greedy stupid Minister of Finance.

But like I said, even if he's entitled to it it's not a good look. Same with the massively-discounted travel that former MPs get. That shit should all be abolished.
Old 4th August 2009, 15:13     #537
Macca@Work

"Originally Posted by Thomas Meatball
Oh yeah, as long as we exclude certain portions of data - which also happen to be the most recent and therefore arguably the most relevant - then we get the answer we want!

What the data doesn't show is the reason for these abortions. It's something of a tenuous link between sex-ed in high schools and abortion in society.

Here's the thing though: Macca reckons that sex ed in schools doesn't achieve anything. He has no real basis for saying that, but hey - that's his opinion. What he isn't clear on is why he thinks it's failing and what does he suggest is done about it. What's his alternative? No sex ed in schools at all? Abstinence perhaps? Up the bum, no babies?

I believe that sex ed in schools is worthwhile and is worth sticking with. The programme itself may not be perfect and there may be room for improvement in the way it is taught. What I don't see are any better ideas."

Ok.Thank you.You have now clearly explained why you have issues with the data I supplied.My contention was this:sex education has been around for years.If you look at the graph I supplied you can clearly see the abortion rate has steadily increased.Yes it did peak and trough,but not to any dramatic degree.
This led me to think the following:
That sex education in itself is not the answer to everything,and that people in wanting abortions (for what ever reason),didn't always have contraception on thier minds.Which then led me to question sex education as a viable means to give people a clear understanding of the implications of getting pregnant.
Suggested Alternative:
Why not have resources that can help people make an informed decision about sex,contraception and the aftermath if that goes wrong.
How about a panel of people who can explain both sides of the arguments
for/against abortion in a setting that is neutral and caring.
Why not have parents of different ages discussing how good/bad/great/horrible it is bringing up a family?
I agree my statement about the pregancy age of people is getting younger was not backed up by statistics.
But this is.Abortions over the years has steadily increased.Sex education in its' current form is not working,or being ignored.
Old 4th August 2009, 15:29     #538
Macca@Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
But it's even funnier when you throw a highbrow insult his way and he completely misses it, or still interprets it as an insult, but for all the wrong reasons
Ditto Crakass ditto...
Old 4th August 2009, 15:33     #539
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco T Bastard
Woah, you and I agree on something (That doesn't include the foaming at the mouth bit )
Old 4th August 2009, 15:48     #540
caffiend

I wouldn't call $52k a year "peanuts" by the way. GT will agree with you on that one, but not I.
Old 4th August 2009, 17:25     #541
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

In the context of the entire budget of the New Zealand government, it's peanuts.
Old 4th August 2009, 17:53     #542
caffiend

True; but in the context of his salary, it's shitloads.
Old 4th August 2009, 20:12     #543
JP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
In the context of the entire budget of the New Zealand government, it's peanuts.
State the obvious much? What does that have to do with anything? How many things could this apply too? Besides, the entire budget is made up of peanuts. They're just grouped in certain ways, some are larger collections of peanuts and some are smaller.

Last edited by JP : 4th August 2009 at 20:14.
Old 4th August 2009, 20:45     #544
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP
Besides, the entire budget is made up of peanuts.
Yes, but in the budget the peanuts are handed out in huge sacks. Nobody wastes time talking about an individual peanut within one of the sacks; well except for some people here and the opposition parties in NZ.

Putting the latest Labour bad apple through the courts cost a lot more than this. And, heaven forbid if he ends up in jail - we'll be paying an amount like that every year for god knows how long.
Old 4th August 2009, 20:59     #545
StN
I have detailed files

Yeah - and he'll probably moan about the tiling.
Old 4th August 2009, 22:32     #546
chubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
Yes, but in the budget the peanuts are handed out in huge sacks. Nobody wastes time talking about an individual peanut within one of the sacks; well except for some people here and the opposition parties in NZ.

Putting the latest Labour bad apple through the courts cost a lot more than this. And, heaven forbid if he ends up in jail - we'll be paying an amount like that every year for god knows how long.

HAHAHAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHA....
so ... it's allright huh.

your misdirections and hipocracy are pretty sad fatty.
but oh so predictable.

will bill be fired?
fall on his sword?
be bitched about by psychos like you?

not likely- so the comparison ends. but thats ok... that's what makes you a 'case in point'
Old 4th August 2009, 22:51     #547
chubby

hey GT...
answer me this-

which is worse,
a bad apple-
or a bunch of greedy cunts taking the piss?

http://www.thestandard.org.nz/3news-...ouble-dipping/
Old 4th August 2009, 22:58     #548
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

^^

It's like sp0nge is back...
Old 4th August 2009, 22:58     #549
madmaxii

Chubby

1.) I Know you own the Standard - you are the only person I know in the world that references it.

2.) Can you confirm that there were no similar instances in the 9 years of the Labour government?

Peace
Old 4th August 2009, 23:55     #550
Draco T Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I voted National (electorate vote) to get RID of a greedy stupid Minister of Finance.
Except that Dr Cullen wasn't greedy or stupid.
Old 5th August 2009, 00:22     #551
Dusty

Tee hee hee. GT said "sacks"....tee hee hee...
Old 5th August 2009, 08:55     #552
Delphinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxii
2.) Can you confirm that there were no similar instances in the 9 years of the Labour government?
Does it really matter if they did as well? Its not the playground "But he started iiiiiiiittttt".
Old 5th August 2009, 10:45     #553
ZoSo

We really need a decent sized true center party in this country. One that consistently sits between creating beneficiaries to maintain it's voter base, ala the left and doesn't always hack n slash, ala the right.
I can't stand Labour these days but I don't really want to defend gouging fools who get paid enough to pay their own way and fumble it when they're on top.
Old 5th August 2009, 12:16     #554
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

In the midst of my frustration at Bill English, the Philip Taito Field conviction has reminded me what a REALLY greedy Cabinet minister looks like.
Old 5th August 2009, 12:53     #555
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delphinus
Does it really matter if they did as well? Its not the playground "But he started iiiiiiiittttt".
Of course it matters - because if Labour were found to be doing similar things then they can not use it as fodder against National.
Old 5th August 2009, 13:19     #556
QWERTY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
In the midst of my frustration at Bill English, the Philip Taito Field conviction has reminded me what a REALLY greedy Cabinet minister looks like.
but but but but he was a labour MP and thus was doing it for the people, by the people, he should be absolved of any wrong doing.

also lol @ cullen not being greedy and stupid, pull the other one please.
Old 5th August 2009, 14:12     #557
ZoSo

Starting to sound like National is actually down 100k on Labour this time last year.
http://www.3news.co.nz/Row-continues...2/Default.aspx

Last edited by ZoSo : 5th August 2009 at 14:16.
Old 5th August 2009, 14:31     #558
BoyWonder

Thanks Labour You have shown the NZ public how to LOL again, and that's important in these tough times
Old 5th August 2009, 14:35     #559
Hory

What these ministers are doing is such an obvious fucking scam, lucky they aren't beneficiaries or they might actually get nailed for it.
If you're rich and you scam money from the state you're a 'smart guy' acting rationally, if you're poor you're just a bludger.
Old 5th August 2009, 18:12     #560
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
(English) accepted there was a perception that he was claiming more than ordinary MPs who live in homes they have an interest in, and though he had done nothing wrong, there was only one way to change that perception.

"The fact is no amount of detail will change the perception that in some way I'm gaining a bigger allowance than other members of Parliament, so I've decided to deal with that perception.

"I'm the Minister of Finance. It's my job to lead by example, so I'll be getting in touch with the Ministerial Services to pay back the difference between the rate I'm on and the other rate going back to the election."
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...sing-allowance