NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 7th November 2023, 13:25     #44001
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Well, Israel has never actually confirmed that it has nukes.
Old 7th November 2023, 13:51     #44002
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I love it: "This was shot down". As if it might not be. As if, well, maybe it could be on the cards..
It's called threat modelling, and all countries do this...How naive
Old 7th November 2023, 14:02     #44003
Lightspeed

Threat modelling eh? Who do you think they're posing for? Not Hamas, they're not rational actors.

Ah, I get it. It's a "sure, we're killing all these kids now, but we could kill a lot more".

You reckon it's a step to try and silence their detractors?
Old 8th November 2023, 01:48     #44004
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Orcas sink another boat in Europe after a nearly hour-long attack

Quote:
For the fourth time in two years, a group of unusually brazen orcas in southwestern Europe have sunk a sailing boat after relentlessly attacking it for almost an hour on Halloween.
Old 8th November 2023, 10:39     #44005
Ajax
Architeuthis

Three years ago this incredible event happened:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four_S...ess_conference
Old 10th November 2023, 14:32     #44006
Lightspeed

It's... interesting? Seeing sophisticated tattoo art become popular and common place.

The people getting these tattoos clearly aren't really familiar with what happens to tattoos as you age.

I see these tattoos with gorgeous details that are only going to age into a uniform blur. You can touch up, but there's a limit to what's effective, especially with these tats with such fine details. Lots of close lines, a single dark colour.
Old 10th November 2023, 23:34     #44007
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

https://comprehensive-rust-2023-11.l.../attendees/new

Kiwi dude got made redundant from Amazon shortly after he started, literally wrote the book on Rust (well OK, a book on Rust - Rust In Action, but let's call it THE book).

Tim McNamara.

He's struggling to make a living at the moment (AFAIK) and doing YouTube videos and is now doing a "pay what you want" learn Rust course as an experiment (3 days, from 12pm til 5pm). 21-23 November.

He's not my mate as such, so even if you think I'm a dick, that's not got nothing to do with him. I'm just spreading the word because I'll probably do it (even though I hate Rust from what I've seen). Even if you throw him some cash and ignore what he's saying during the stream and never touch Rust again it might help a brother out.

Possibly more value than a givealittle for some useless cunt that never got insurance, or a Humble Bundle game that you never play. Am I selling it well? Probably not. But check it out anyway.
Old 11th November 2023, 17:44     #44008
wazza
*flex*

his education is interesting
https://nz.linkedin.com/in/timmcnamaranz
Old 13th November 2023, 11:11     #44009
Cyberbob

Always fun to run into NZGames members in the wild.

Met Havs yesterday randomly
Old 16th November 2023, 19:14     #44010
Lightspeed

Apple’s China ties under Congressional scrutiny after Jon Stewart cancellation

Quote:
In a letter to Apple CEO Tim Cook, the Republican and Democratic leaders of the House of Representatives' Select Committee on Competition with the Chinese Communist Party urged Apple to explain its decision to end production of The Problem with Jon Stewart and "accelerate its efforts to reduce its dependence on" China. These steps, lawmakers wrote, are critical to help address "broader concerns about indirect Chinese Communist Party (CCP) influence over the creative expression of American artists and companies on CCP-related topics."

While lawmakers acknowledged that Apple has "the right to determine what content is appropriate for their streaming service," they argued that "the coercive tactics of a foreign power should not be directly or indirectly influencing these determinations."
Old 16th November 2023, 20:12     #44011
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I think "reducing Apple's dependency on China" has been top of Timb's priority list for some time now.
Old 18th November 2023, 11:05     #44012
Ajax
Architeuthis

Sam Altman abruptly fired from OpenAI by the board.

I suppose he has more time to focus on his creepy Worldcoin mass surveillance project now.
Old 18th November 2023, 13:25     #44013
Cyberbob

He lost his board seat as well, which means things must have gone down and it was much more than just a change in leadership. In the interest of transparency I hope they explain things.
Old 18th November 2023, 15:04     #44014
Cyberbob

And their President & Co-Founder Greg Brockman just quit.
Old 18th November 2023, 17:56     #44015
Ajax
Architeuthis

Old 19th November 2023, 21:57     #44016
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

John Podesta's Friend, Who 'Debunked' Pizzagate, Arrested for Child Rape

Awkward.

It's also here if you don't like websites that are untrustworthy simply because they use 90s design principles.
Old 20th November 2023, 16:34     #44017
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Oh god, a gay Jewish paedophile who works in the media, we're never going to hear the end of this
Old 21st November 2023, 14:19     #44018
Lightspeed

UN Special Rapporteur Francesca Albanese calls for multilateral intervention in Gaza

Quote:
UN Special Rapporteur on the occupied Palestinian Territories Francesca Albanese says there is a disconnect between atrocities committed in Gaza and the response of the Western world.

In New Zealand to meet with politicians, NGOs, human rights advocates and businesses this week, Albanese is calling for a multi-country intervention in the conflict.

She told reporters in Auckland that Hamas had committed war crimes, but actions taken by the Israeli military also violated the principles of international law - and there was a risk the crime of genocide was being carried out against the Palestinian people.

"Let's be clear: [Hamas'] killing civilians and taking civilian hostages are war crimes, and I've extended and continue to extend my deepest condolences to all communities affected.

"At the same time, what has happened in the occupied Palestinian territories - primarily in Gaza - is a complete violation of all basic principles that international law establishes.

"There have been over 12,000 people killed over a month now by Israeli bombs and military operations, 5000 of these are children, over 1.6 million people forcibly displaced, 30,000 Palestinians injured, and there is no measure to rescue them because Israel has also tightened its illegal blockade ... a collective punishment on the 2.2 million people living in the Gaza strip, half of whom are children.

"Half of the civilian infrastructure has been destroyed, 40,000 homes and churches, mosques, entire residential buildings, refugee camps and schools, bakeries, universities, there's very little to start, restart life after a ceasefire is declared.
The law eh? It's only really for the poors to follow isn't it?

Stupid dying babies should just release the hostages. 🤷
Old 21st November 2023, 16:14     #44019
xor

Which law was broken? also, where are do the borders of Palestine begin/end lolspeed?
Old 21st November 2023, 16:28     #44020
Lightspeed

Sealioning for genocide.
Old 21st November 2023, 18:55     #44021
MadMax
Stuff

Watching interactions with reporters and Winnie Peters is always amusing especially when the reporter fails to greet him before firing off a question.

I can also appreciate that sometimes a question should demand immediate answering but gummon if you don't know his modus operandi then you deserve to be shot down.

Winnie will try to educate by answering with a question through smiling teeth of how the reporter's day is going but clearly it flies over the heads of some.
Old 21st November 2023, 20:20     #44022
fixed_truth

Snoop Dogg marketing genius
Old 24th November 2023, 09:19     #44023
wazza
*flex*

lol

Old 24th November 2023, 10:55     #44024
Cyberbob

WHaT'S THE dEaL wIth tICkEt PRIcES
Old 24th November 2023, 12:09     #44025
StN
I have detailed files

Makes me pre-paying for the The next November look quite sane!
Old 24th November 2023, 14:19     #44026
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazza
lol

Holy shit. You must *really* like Seinfeld. I'd only pay that to see Oprah Winfrey if I knew she was giving out cars.

My friend is taking me to Kraftwerk on Wednesday since his wife will be out of town. Couple of nerds enjoying robot music.
Old 25th November 2023, 14:53     #44027
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Missed out on Macca when he was over here, got tix to Harry Connick Jr and his big band next week.
Old 26th November 2023, 16:13     #44028
Lightspeed

This relay hack for stealing cars that use proximity fobs is pretty cyberpunk.
Old 27th November 2023, 10:05     #44029
wazza
*flex*

it's kinda crazy that Daniel Johns(Silverchair) accepted a 3 album deal with Sony when he was 15 and by the time he was 20 had completed said deal.

what a young carnttttttt

i heard natalie imbruglia on the radio and asked a colleague if he thought she was a bit of alright, anyways, googled her ~ wiki ~ oh she was married to DJ, haven't looked him up in 20 years, i bought Neon Ballroom wonder what he's up to.

blah, 5min rabbit hole
Old 30th November 2023, 13:14     #44030
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
My friend is taking me to Kraftwerk on Wednesday since his wife will be out of town. Couple of nerds enjoying robot music.
Was EPIC. I had heard Kraftwerk were shit in concert from a lot of people online, so I had very low expectations, but I was blown away. It was basically 2-3 hours of audio/visual show, with 4 dudes standing on stage not moving (the occasional leg tapping), turning knobs, but the bass in some places was phenomenal, loads of people got up out of their seats to dance around the edges, and I sat there grinning and tapping my leg the whole time because it was just such a feast for nerd ears. The visuals had a very 80s aesthetic, and overall I would say it was a great show. Glad I didn't pass up the opportunity.
Old 30th November 2023, 16:38     #44031
sidbo
Raptus regaliter

Old 30th November 2023, 16:58     #44032
Lightspeed

Lightbulb

Oooooooh! I get it now.

What does this even mean for the timeline?
Old 30th November 2023, 17:12     #44033
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidbo
Couldn't have memed it better myself. GG.

Also, Jimmy Carter is still alive.
Old 1st December 2023, 06:55     #44034
StN
I have detailed files

Kissinger?

Anyway, Fairytale of New York will no doubt get a hammering now. Nice to see he got his teeth fixed, pity about being wheelchair bound.

RIP Shane.
Old 1st December 2023, 07:33     #44035
StN
I have detailed files

I always thought it was a bit random that he HAL shutdown scene in 2001 ended up with it trying to sing. Turns out it was factually accurate and probably something Arthur C Clarke was well aware of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3bPY6i8vJE
Old 1st December 2023, 11:30     #44036
wazza
*flex*

old man used to crank the pogues back in the day, rip
Old 1st December 2023, 13:27     #44037
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Statement from President Biden on the Passing of Henry Kissinger

I’ll never forget the first time I met Dr. Kissinger. I was a young Senator, and he was Secretary of State—giving a briefing on the state of the world. Throughout our careers, we often disagreed. And often strongly. But from that first briefing — his fierce intellect and profound strategic focus was evident. Long after retiring from government, he continued to offer his views and ideas to the most important policy discussion across multiple generations. Jill and I send our condolences to his wife Nancy, his children Elizabeth and David, his grandchildren, and all those who loved him.

https://www.whitehouse.gov/briefing-...nry-kissinger/
Holy shit, this is amazing. If you're not used to reading and writing government, this is as close as you'll ever get to "fuck that guy, glad he's dead".
Old 1st December 2023, 15:33     #44038
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazza
old man used to crank the pogues back in the day, rip
Has your old man passed away?
Old 1st December 2023, 15:39     #44039
Cyberbob

Shane MacGowan of The Pogues dies aged 65
Old 1st December 2023, 16:05     #44040
sidbo
Raptus regaliter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Holy shit, this is amazing. If you're not used to reading and writing government, this is as close as you'll ever get to "fuck that guy, glad he's dead".
o_O that really is. Nice!