Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 27th November 2020, 11:59     #1041
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Please excuse my white privilege, but under what circumstances does a Government agency have recourse to uplift newborns? Are these from really young mothers? If so, I don't understand why the family unit isn't the best place to ensure safety of the child. Or is it related to a reported unsafe environment?

I really don't understand. The numbers quoted do seem out of proportion for the population breakdown, and I always understood that in Maori culture there was a tradition of newborns sometimes being looked after by Grandparents - but that the extended family unit was inclusive.

Enlighten me - the news reports do seem to be purposefully vague on the background.

/edit - and upon further reading, it seems I'm not the only one flabbergasted by this.
My experience is the more you understand the more confusing things get. There are so many rabbit holes to tumble down. It's a big fucking mess that only grows bigger because we keep brushing it under the carpet. So we can save money.

The reason why I cite Nick Smith gutting ACC's sensitive claims service as a source of these problems is raped people make pretty bad parents, if they're captured by their trauma. Which you have to be careful saying, cause you can be accused of victim blaming. Then there's the likelihood their rapist(s) are a part of their close community, which their children will be growing up in.

Racism has currency that domestic violence doesn't, so making the issue about children being taken from Maori is more effective at getting the public's attention. But the issues are much more complex than that, focusing our attention when we'd be better off with a broad view. There's no reason to expect that just because a person is Maori they have wholesome Maori grandparents waiting in the wings.

National tossed out the best publication we had for teasing out these complex issues in a robust and disciplined manner:

Social Policy Journal Of New Zealand Te Puna Whakaaro 1993-2011.

I agree Labour is dragging their heel addressing these problems themselves, but it's much easier to tear something down than build it up.
Old 27th November 2020, 12:37     #1042
StN
I have detailed files

Thanks LS - angles in there I hadn't considered. Cheers!
Old 27th November 2020, 18:13     #1043
fixed_truth

Yeah in a lot of these situations it's a cycle & the extended families are just as bad. And we're talking pretty bad. If the kids go to a caregiver anyone 18+ living there gets vetted but family don't seem to.
Old 30th November 2020, 13:22     #1044
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Jacinda Ardern says public bears some responsibility for housing crisis after failed taxation attempts

FUCK OFFFFFFFFFF
Old 30th November 2020, 15:45     #1045
Lightspeed

It seems like the Greens have everything to gain right now.

https://twitter.com/_chloeswarbrick/...58641847844865
Old 1st December 2020, 10:06     #1046
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Racism has currency that domestic violence doesn't, so making the issue about children being taken from Maori is more effective at getting the public's attention.
Stuff working hard to take the opportunity to reset its culture:

Our Truth, Tā Mātou Pono: How we've made Māori the face of child abuse and minimised the abuse of Pākehā children
Old 1st December 2020, 12:28     #1047
StN
I have detailed files

Heh - now this has been reported on the front page of CNN. I don't know if we can get any more awesome at admitting we were wrong and setting things right in contrast to US2020.
Old 1st December 2020, 12:34     #1048
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

A stopped watch is still correct twice a day. Remember, this is Stuff.
Old 1st December 2020, 14:55     #1049
fixed_truth

In response Judith being a cunt as usual

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/polit...-more-accuracy
Old 1st December 2020, 16:54     #1050
crocos

Such wonderful advertising for Stuff and the price was just to proactively eat a little crow. I don't see how they can lose here as long as they keep their nose clean-ish for the next ~6 months.

I honestly hope it is genuine, but Stuff is a corporate (despite the newish ownership) - it doesn't actually care unless it's impacting the bottom line (positive or negative).

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية

Last edited by crocos : 1st December 2020 at 16:55.
Old 1st December 2020, 17:37     #1051
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Those damn Samoans though

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/cri...amariki-uplift
Old 7th December 2020, 19:44     #1052
fixed_truth

All those farmers & conservative folk strategically voting Labour to keep Greens out forgot to switch back to National now the election's finished!

https://www.tvnz.co.nz/one-news/new-...-election-lead
Old 4th January 2021, 12:07     #1053
Lightspeed

Nat^H^H^HLabour's true colours are coming out over this whole prison riot.

Oh, they're in gangs you say Davis? Gang members in prison? Well gee, why didn't you say. We totally don't need to worry about prison conditions if it's gang members. That's almost as bad as if they were Maori.
Old 20th February 2021, 00:33     #1054
crocos

Deputy PM ain't got time for conspiracy nonsense
https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/polit...cy-theory.html

Good on him.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 21st February 2021, 08:00     #1055
The Edge

facepalm

I dunno what happened to Peter Williams to make him such a conspiracy-loving nut. Is it to get attention? Does he actually believe all that dribble he's spouting?
Old 22nd February 2021, 14:25     #1056
Lightspeed

Labour have had enough time to sort this shit out:

Treatment at Auckland Women's Prison 'degrading' and 'inhumane' - judge
Old 24th February 2021, 15:36     #1057
Lightspeed

Very angry

Kelvin Davis is a real fucking piece of work.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/te-manu-k...ms-of-violence

Inhumane treatment of prisoners? Aw but look, what about this pamphlet!
Old 24th February 2021, 17:26     #1058
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I had high hopes for Davis, but day by day he's less hardworking local MP and more faceless state apparatchik.
Old 23rd March 2021, 19:06     #1059
Lightspeed

'Corrections got it wrong' - Minister on systemic issues, mistreatment of inmates

Corrections are working with what they've got. Unless Davis can point to the efforts Labour has made to understand and address the problems in our prisons?
Old 23rd March 2021, 19:31     #1060
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Labour takes a page from the Labour playbook, decides not to do anything about housing crisis for the *checks notes* fourth straight year

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/govern...5OJVLRZSUZHA4/
Old 23rd March 2021, 22:46     #1061
The Edge

Actually, National denied there was a housing crisis/shortage, right up until the 2017 election. Suddenly they realised there was a problem and conveniently decided to bring up as an election issue.
Labour has inherited the situation from them and their 9 years of inaction over it.
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political...housing-crisis
Unfortunately there's no one silver bullet to fix the problem, but increasing supply by a lot would be a start.

Last edited by The Edge : 23rd March 2021 at 22:47.
Old 23rd March 2021, 23:06     #1062
fixed_truth

Quote:
The bright-line test - the tax on investment property - will be increased from five years to 10 years, but it will be kept at five for new-build investment properties. The family home will still be exempt

The Government will remove the ability for property investors to offset their interest expenses against their rental income when they are calculating their tax
Doesn't sound like nothing to me.
Old 23rd March 2021, 23:35     #1063
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Edge
Actually, National denied there was a housing crisis/shortage, right up until the 2017 election. Suddenly they realised there was a problem and conveniently decided to bring up as an election issue.
Labour has inherited the situation from them and their 9 years of inaction over it.
https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/political...housing-crisis
Unfortunately there's no one silver bullet to fix the problem, but increasing supply by a lot would be a start.
While it is definitely easier to change your tune in opposition, I would actually prefer politicians to change their views rather than sticking to their guns on something that is so wrong.
And there is only so long that you can blame a previous government. I think the the second term is that point. Yes policies can take a while to start to have a real effect, but I have to agree that Labour has really done shit all.
Old 24th March 2021, 02:42     #1064
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Edge
Has inherited? I don't think a verb gets to be in the perfect present tense when it happened FOUR YEARS AGO.

Labour inherited the situation four years ago. And what did housing prices do in the intervening four years? And what did Labour do while it was happening?
Old 24th March 2021, 02:46     #1065
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
The bright-line test - the tax on investment property - will be increased from five years to 10 years, but it will be kept at five for new-build investment properties. The family home will still be exempt

The Government will remove the ability for property investors to offset their interest expenses against their rental income when they are calculating their tax
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Doesn't sound like nothing to me.
More investors will hang on to their properties for ten years instead of five. What do you think that will do to housing availability?

If interest expenses can no longer be offset against rental income for tax, that means renting houses out just became more expensive. What do you think that will do to rents? Landlords will just put up the rents, because they know there's insane demand.
Old 24th March 2021, 07:38     #1066
fixed_truth

Yeah, that's a real possible reaction from investors, we don't know how it wii play out yet. I'm saying that calling these measures nothing & comparable to previous lack of action, doesn't match up with the commentary I've been reading.

Quote:
However, the big change which has been announced that's generating quite a bit of commentary on social media is the proposal to restrict, in fact remove entirely over time, interest deductions on residential property income. And this kicks in from October 1.
Now this is obviously a significant change. I made a suggestion last year that maybe it was time to apply the thin capitalisation rules, but this has gone further than I expected.
https://www.interest.co.nz/opinion/1...rules-reviewed
Quote:
Economists see the housing changes announced by the Government as having a chilling effect on investor demand and acting as a significant drag on house price growth
https://www.interest.co.nz/property/...ffect-investor

Quote:
The Government has taken a gutsy approach to tackling the housing crisis - the days of highly leveraged property investment are likely over, Greg Ninness says
https://www.interest.co.nz/property/...ghly-leveraged
Old 25th March 2021, 18:43     #1067
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
More investors will hang on to their properties for ten years instead of five. What do you think that will do to housing availability?

If interest expenses can no longer be offset against rental income for tax, that means renting houses out just became more expensive. What do you think that will do to rents? Landlords will just put up the rents, because they know there's insane demand.
My white privileged mother in law has had massive increases to her rent and is struggling real hard with the cost of living. I laughed hard at that and told her to check her privilege and stop oppressing others.
I then went back to twitter and laughed some more.
Old 25th March 2021, 19:15     #1068
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Dude, you're not supposed to laugh about something that's happened to someone else. That's not what Twitter is for. Twitter is where you recount something terrible that happened to you. You're supposed to be "literally shaking" as a result of "trauma".
Old 25th March 2021, 19:20     #1069
Know me.

Some old John Key videos. I can't find the parliament speech where John Key attacked Helen Clark over the price of houses in NZ. The last national government did fuck all and blamed the RMA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWPgoAI1cLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dJ20Uqv7eA

The current Labour government has done fuck all too despite it being their #1 election promise 4 years ago.
Old 25th March 2021, 19:22     #1070
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

It'd be interesting to see the % change in housing prices under recent governments, Labour and National. They've both fucked it up badly.
Old 25th March 2021, 22:05     #1071
blynk

Oh havent you already seen. Its had the biggest increase (not sure if that is $ or %), which is probably what spurred this sudden action.

TBF, most economists thought it was going to come down recently and not keep skyrocketing.
Old 25th March 2021, 23:50     #1072
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I know, it's like a global pandemic happened that made your home the most important place in the fucking universe, who would have dreamed that house prices wouldn't plummet.
Old 6th April 2021, 14:21     #1073
Lightspeed

Labour MP Kiri Allan reveals she has been diagnosed with cervical cancer

Very sad and unfortunate. I hope she pulls through quickly.

Quote:
"Cervical cancer is a really nasty disease, and it strikes women right in the middle of their lives when they have so much to give to their communities and their families."

Verrall encouraged women to take two vital steps - get the vaccination and ensure their smear tests were up to date.
https://www.facebook.com/65839340434...7173093462102/

Quote:
To be honest, I’m one of those gals that hates anything to do with ‘down there’. And have taken a ‘see no evil, hear no evil’ type approach to that part of my body.
I do have to start thinking about a prostate exam, which I'm not thrilled about. But having to regularly get my junk checked out would really suck. Along with everything else women have to put up with in regards to health.
Old 6th April 2021, 15:19     #1074
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

That sucks. Best of luck to her.
Old 8th April 2021, 06:13     #1075
StN
I have detailed files

I was astonished when she fronted the tsunami press conference - she was running the show in an emergency jacket type outfit, taking questions and giving succinct fact based answers. I had no idea who she was - I assumed some ex-military person, and in no way an MP. She was awesome - and I can see why Jacinda stepped back for that one.

Then we find out that her child was in the danger area (but had been evacuated with her partner), and that she had been delivered the initial diagnosis that morning.

Uber professional - the right person for that job, and very sad that things have turned.

Last edited by StN : 8th April 2021 at 06:16.
Old 8th April 2021, 13:00     #1076
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
I was astonished when she fronted the tsunami press conference - she was running the show in an emergency jacket type outfit, taking questions and giving succinct fact based answers. I had no idea who she was - I assumed some ex-military person, and in no way an MP. She was awesome - and I can see why Jacinda stepped back for that one.

Then we find out that her child was in the danger area (but had been evacuated with her partner), and that she had been delivered the initial diagnosis that morning.

Uber professional - the right person for that job, and very sad that things have turned.
I initially thought she was the head of Civil Defence - or someone high up
Old 8th April 2021, 14:30     #1077
Lightspeed

State of our society where we're surprised in competence from our leadership.

Allan's definitely a good one.
Old 8th April 2021, 14:42     #1078
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
New Zealand mental health crisis has worsened under Labour, data shows

First figures available for Jacinda Ardern’s term in office reveal inadequate government response despite huge boost in funding

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...our-data-shows
Old 11th April 2021, 12:27     #1079
Cyberbob

Quote:
PM says neighbouring property sale reinforced extent of housing problems to her

Jacinda Ardern says watching a house sell in her own Auckland neighbourhood reinforced how bad the housing market has become.
Dangerously close to the classic "I didn't think it was a problem until it happened to me"
Old 11th April 2021, 12:44     #1080
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

She's the prime minister. She literally has greater access to information than anyone else in the country.