Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 11th February 2015, 18:36     #41
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Did you just do a 180?
He's quoting (or paraphrasing) John Key.

Pixie
Old 11th February 2015, 18:38     #42
Lightspeed

Yeah, that. I should refresh before replying...

Last edited by Lightspeed : 11th February 2015 at 18:39.
Old 11th February 2015, 18:41     #43
CCS
Stunt Pants

So the Greens are finding scientists that support their point of view and that's okay why?
Old 11th February 2015, 18:50     #44
Lightspeed

I guess the same reason as it's okay for John Key, as it apparently is. Can you tell me why? Or is it a poor use of tax payers money in that case too?
Old 11th February 2015, 19:03     #45
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
11.00 - 12.00

International speaker – Dr. Vandana Shiva – Founder of the Research Foundation for Science, Technology and Ecology and Navdanya, India, “Beyond Industrial Agriculture, Towards Agroecology”.
Quote:
In 1999, ten thousand people were killed and millions were left homeless when a cyclone hit India’s eastern coastal state of Orissa. When the U.S. government dispatched grain and soy to help feed the desperate victims, Shiva held a news conference in New Delhi and said that the donation was proof that “the United States has been using the Orissa victims as guinea pigs” for genetically engineered products. She also wrote to the international relief agency Oxfam to say that she hoped it wasn’t planning to send genetically modified foods to feed the starving survivors.

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...seeds-of-doubt
Well that sounds, um, reasonable.
Old 11th February 2015, 19:06     #46
Lightspeed

I guess in the pick between an inept and a cynical approach to science, cynical wins, eh?

The thing is, there's some difference between Browning and Key and their roles in their respective parties. I just... can't quite put my finger on it. Hrmm?
Old 11th February 2015, 19:13     #47
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I guess the same reason as it's okay for John Key, as it apparently is. Can you tell me why? Or is it a poor use of tax payers money in that case too?
Well that's a really cool and sarcastic point of view you've put forward there. But sarcastic rhetoric doesn't change the fact that the Green's scientist pals are basically the Wakefields of GM science.
Old 11th February 2015, 19:17     #48
Lightspeed

No, the sarcastic rhetoric is to demonstrate how bankrupt your principles are in this case.
Old 11th February 2015, 19:17     #49
CCS
Stunt Pants

Old 11th February 2015, 19:26     #50
Lightspeed

Laugh

Good talk.
Old 11th February 2015, 20:21     #51
CCS
Stunt Pants

Cool rhetoric.
Old 12th February 2015, 00:22     #52
crocos

Quote:
No, the sarcastic rhetoric is to demonstrate how bankrupt your principles are in this case.
What the fuck? All three are proven to be full of bullshit and you want to STILL defend? As well throw Andrew Wakefield in the mix because he's the noble scientist that proved MMR vaccine causes autism.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 12th February 2015, 09:51     #53
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
What the fuck? All three are proven to be full of bullshit and you want to STILL defend? As well throw Andrew Wakefield in the mix because he's the noble scientist that proved MMR vaccine causes autism.
What am I defending? Certainly not the inept approach to science of some low level Green MP.
Old 12th February 2015, 12:03     #54
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
A plucky group of scientific outsiders, presenting results outside of the mainstream consensus, hosts its own conference with presentations mostly from those in their heterodox club. They present themselves as providing the truth that is much opposed by big moneyed interests. They're celebrated in a reception hosted in Parliament by one of the political parties. The media is expected to highlight their alternative take on reality, with perhaps some offsetting commentary from those in the mainstream; the overall effect, though, is to stoke and legitimise popular misunderstandings.

Without any further detail, what are your priors? Is this something to welcome?

Now let's make it multichoice. Do you update if it's any of these?
  • A holistic medicine conference talking up the merits of homeopathy, hosted by the Greens?
  • An anti-vaccination conference with Wakefield-group presenters, hosted possibly by the Greens or Maori Party?
  • A Lord Monckton shin-dig with his preferred researchers on global warming, hosted then either by ACT or maybe National?
  • An anti-GMO conference on the evils of Big Corporate Agriculture, hosted by the Greens?
  • A conference on how mainstream economics is all wrong, highlighting heterodox insights about how people do not respond to incentives, hosted by the Greens and Mana?

This weekend brings GMO-sceptics to Wellington. Presentations include "Pesticides: scilencing the ecosystem and silencing our children" and "Overweight, undernourished, sterile and dying of cancer. Our food is it sealing the fate of humanity?"

And the Greens are hosting them in Parliament.
(snip)

The scientific consensus on GMOs is as strong as the scientific consensus on climate change. Will Browning have to retract this like he had to pull back from endorsing homeopathy for Ebola?

The Greens could play at highlighting the heterodox views on GMOs a couple years ago. But when 89% of scientists say GMO food is safe?

http://offsettingbehaviour.blogspot....-outliers.html
Old 12th February 2015, 13:06     #55
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Perhaps it is no surprise to find that the conference organisers are all members of "GE Free NZ".

The president of GE Free NZ, Claire Bleakley, is also a homeopath and has previously worked with Steffan Browning on GMOs

Sponsors, too, are indicative of the standard of a meeting. As an example, the New Zealand Journal of Natural Medicine is not a scientific journal, but a magazine featuring conspiracy-theory oriented material and wayward ‘advice’ and ideas from many unsound sources. As just one example (among literally hundreds), the last quarterly edition put out in the latter part of last year headlined ‘treatments’ for Ebola that included homeopathy and MMS.

http://sciblogs.co.nz/code-for-life/...-needed-in-nz/
Old 12th February 2015, 13:31     #56
CCS
Stunt Pants

The Green Party, reinforcing their 'Anti-Science Loonies' image since aaaaages ago.
Old 12th February 2015, 14:33     #57
Lightspeed

Nonsense. The Greens are bad science (at least their lower list members are.) National are anti-science.
Old 12th February 2015, 16:29     #58
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
National are anti-science.
Close, but not quite. They're pro-science but anti-research, or should I say any sort of research that doesn't lead directly to products.

Pixie
Old 12th February 2015, 20:32     #59
chubby

or non-buisness-led and controlled science.
lets not forget controlled.
if buisness thinks it's ok,then it must be.
science becomes deabateble.
Old 13th February 2015, 03:23     #60
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I am the walrus
Goo goo ja joob
Old 28th May 2015, 17:26     #61
CCS
Stunt Pants

Greens' co-leadership race: James Shaw rejects criticism

Quote:
Green Party leadership hopeful James Shaw has rejected criticism from his main rival that he is a metrosexual, non-driving MP who would be out of place on a farm.

As part of his campaign to replace Russel Norman as male co-leader, Mr Shaw has promoted his broad appeal and his ability to grow the Green Party vote, based on his performance in the Wellington Central electorate.

The other top contender for the co-leadership position, Kevin Hague, has challenged him on these claims.

Mr Hague questioned whether Mr Shaw would be at home speaking on a marae, to trade unionists or to a group of farmers. He also said voters outside the capital might not relate to a metrosexual, Wellington-based MP who does not drive.
Hold on... the homosexual MP claims the straight guy is too metrosexual to relate to farmers? What in the shit? I guess Hague is saying he promises to not wear his ABSOLUT HOMO t-shirt when he meets rural types?

Quote:
Responding to those comments this morning, Mr Shaw said: "I don't agree that I can't talk to farmers.

I actually come from a farming family [in Opotiki]."

He would not "pretend to be a farmer" himself, but he said he had good rapport with the rural community because he did not take a judgmental stance on environmental issues.

The first-term MP said he has been urging his party to broaden its caucus to include more Maori, Pacific Islanders, and farmers.
It's obviously better to relate to farmers if you're a manly-man rather than a homo-metro-quasi-intersectional-sexual but they're missing the point. The first hurdle in a Green MP talking to a farmer is that they're a Green MP. Bi-cis-herm comes after that.

Quote:
Aged 16, Mr Shaw decided he would not learn to drive for environmental reasons. He has maintained that stance while living in Wellington, Brussels, and London.

Now that electric cars are more readily available, the 42 year-old is planning to change his policy, and has gained his learner licence.
So Hague is criticising Shaw for sticking to his Green principals by not driving? I can't even...

Quote:
Mr Hague, a third-term MP, said he had a track record of campaigning in a provincial electorate (West Coast-Tasman) and speaking face-to-face "with both Federated Farmers and Forest and Bird".
A Green MP talking to Forest and Bird isn't any real achievement, consirdering they have pretty much the same aims.

Good on the Greens for realising they have to broaden their appeal, but I can't believe it's come to this, with the homo accusing the other guy of being too metro. What in the fuck.
Old 28th May 2015, 17:49     #62
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Kevin "of course some of our members are anti-vaccination, we're a broad church" Hague.
Old 28th May 2015, 18:24     #63
CCS
Stunt Pants

Old 29th May 2015, 10:47     #64
spigalau

If you look back at the original Greens leadership (Donald & Fitzsimons) it was more focused on the environmental issues.

When it changed to Norman & Turei, it appears to have focused more on the social agendas.

If they elect Shaw, it would appear on paper that they may have a foot back in both camps. If they elect Hague, it's more of the same that really hasn't got them anywhere.

The only time the Greens have ever been effective was when they took an electorate seat in 1999 and became part of the government. Since then they have been shafted (2005), over looked and in my opinion have become rather radicalised, which is probably why the other main parties struggle to work with them.

Last edited by spigalau : 29th May 2015 at 10:49.
Old 30th May 2015, 14:43     #65
fixed_truth

James Shaw named Greens new co-leader

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11457327

Nice.
Old 30th May 2015, 17:27     #66
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Old 1st June 2015, 12:00     #67
Delphinus

Good to see Climate Change being a bit more of a priority:

Old 1st June 2015, 12:15     #68
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Yeah, because up to now the Greens haven't given a shit about it.
Old 23rd July 2015, 13:01     #69
fixed_truth

I'm quite liking the new co-leader.

Twelve Questions: James Shaw
Old 23rd July 2015, 14:09     #70
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
12. Are you religious?
No.
SOLD
Old 23rd July 2015, 19:09     #71
Nothing

I wonder what proportion of religious people prefer to avoid voting for non-religious politicians if they can avoid it?
Old 23rd July 2015, 20:20     #72
MadMax
Stuff

Yeah don't think it matters. However NZ has half a million Catholics that are about to turn green, if they follow their leader.
Old 23rd July 2015, 20:25     #73
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nothing
I wonder what proportion of religious people prefer to avoid voting for non-religious politicians if they can avoid it?
In NZ I like to think that it wouldn't be a biggie.
Old 12th August 2015, 11:50     #74
blynk

Can someone explain to me how they blocked ACTs bill about the hours that Bars allowed to open?
Was it some special bill that needed 100% approval to advance?
Old 12th August 2015, 14:03     #75
CCS
Stunt Pants

I dunno how it works either, but srsly tho.... what a bunch of miserable cunts the Greens are.

Old 12th August 2015, 14:11     #76
Lightspeed

What? The Greens are cutting funding to desperately needed public services?

Oh, no, something about popular sports. Figures.
Old 12th August 2015, 14:15     #77
Savage

meh~

Last edited by Savage : 12th August 2015 at 14:18.
Old 12th August 2015, 14:26     #78
CCS
Stunt Pants

Come on Savage, don't edit that. What you said was on point.
Old 12th August 2015, 14:40     #79
Lightspeed

"Mah sports! What cunts!"

"Raped traumatised women raising their children alone! At least we have a surplus!"
Old 12th August 2015, 14:45     #80
blynk

"The bill will be shot down if any MP refuses to grant leave. Mr Seymour was confident it would progress,"