Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 21st June 2011, 07:52     #161
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
It's normal position is not that different to National. . . Labour is a centre party (most of the time)
Labour is extreme left you brainless leftie idiot. EXTREME
Old 21st June 2011, 07:58     #162
CCS
Stunt Pants

not sure if srs
Old 21st June 2011, 08:22     #163
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

I think he's trying sit-down comedy. Like the rest of his posts it doesn't work because it's stupid.
Old 21st June 2011, 08:29     #164
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
Do you now understand?
Yup air comes from your ass and you call it talking. You don't know shit about the technical side so argue the semantics of peoples different understanding of a statement. Brilliant.

Next you should start arguing with lightspeed about what is or isn't god by your definition versus his based on your experiences being the only one true definition. Its about as useful.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Last edited by ^BITES^ : 21st June 2011 at 08:32.
Old 21st June 2011, 18:46     #165
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by ^BITES^
Yup air comes from your ass and you call it talking. You don't know shit about the technical side so argue the semantics of peoples different understanding of a statement.
Oh this isn't in the semantics space by a million miles. This is firmly in the space of the play-off between acceptable real-world risk versus the sometimes absurdly silly positions taken by subject area experts. This is not an IT specific issue but this type of problem sure is manifest within a typical IT department.

The phraseology for this situation is to observe that the SME lacks the necessary commercial acumen to make a decision. Typically this problem is dealt with by restricting the types of decisions the SME is allowed to make. Their moderated opinions are of course taken into account by others who make big decisions.

It's now clear that you simply don't understand, likely don't want to understand, and almost certainly are not able to understand. If this discussion were to continue you'd keep repeating your view that nothing is secure. And, I'd be forced to continue to try to help you understand that this doesn't actually matter.

But the discussion won't continue unless another takes up the gauntlet because I'm now convinced that you need help well beyond the level I am prepared to tender.

Last edited by Golden Teapot : 21st June 2011 at 18:47.
Old 22nd June 2011, 07:57     #166
^BITES^

Yup you're a manager talking out his ass, shock horror you "know it all".

()_) ()_)--o-)_)

Last edited by ^BITES^ : 22nd June 2011 at 07:58.
Old 2nd August 2011, 20:10     #167
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

They JUST. WON'T. LEARN.
Old 2nd August 2011, 20:17     #168
fixed_truth

Stu's a man who speaks his mind!
Old 2nd August 2011, 20:27     #169
CCS
Stunt Pants

Stu's a man who comes off sounding like a child having a sulk.
Old 3rd August 2011, 10:37     #170
Juju
get to da choppa

He can afford to be smug when the opposition leader is so useless.
Old 9th August 2011, 17:33     #171
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

LOL I just got banned from the Labour site for critiquing Labour MP Grant Robertson's claim that NZ is one of the only developed nations in the world without a CGT.

BANOWNED and DELETOWNED

Guess all discussion is getting sanitised for the election campaign. Well, if they have one I mean.
Old 9th August 2011, 17:41     #172
CCS
Stunt Pants

What, they've blocked your IP? Or you need an account to post there? Tell me what you posted and I'll post it there for you. We'll see if it gets deleted again.
Old 9th August 2011, 18:00     #173
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

They're running Wordpress, so it'll be an IP ban. Don't really care - if a political party doesn't tolerate examination of its politics, I'm wasting my time being there.
Old 9th August 2011, 18:16     #174
fixed_truth

Ab the nasty troll?
Old 9th August 2011, 18:18     #175
cyc
Objection!

Oh is this the same Labour that accuses the SIS head of lying?
Old 11th August 2011, 12:11     #176
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

It's the Labour party whose spokesperson on telecommunications today proclaimed on the Labour website that

Quote:
Bit Torrent is one of the major sites where you go to get content and download it for free (and illegally).
LABOUR - UNDERSTANDING THE INTERNET SINCE AGES AGO

I would tell Curran she's clueless, but I'm banned. Presumably because I'm the sort of guy who points out cluelessness.
Old 11th August 2011, 13:26     #177
spigalau

Tell Claire to block everything from 127.0.0.1, am sure that will solve the issue.
Old 11th August 2011, 13:39     #178
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
LOL I just got banned from the Labour site for critiquing Labour MP Grant Robertson's claim that NZ is one of the only developed nations in the world without a CGT.
What was your critique out of interest?
Old 11th August 2011, 14:22     #179
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I pointed out that Labour MPs saying "Switzerland and Turkey are the only places without CGT" was incorrect and/or deliberately misleading, as Hong Kong and Singapore don't have CGTs at all, and many other countries that DO have CGTs have exemptions and loopholes so broad that CGT is rarely ever incurred.

The "only Switzerland and Turkey" trope has been posted on the Labour site more than once, and I called them on repeatedly using it when it's been pointed out by more than one person (incl me) that it's not true.

Deleted, banned, etc.
Old 12th August 2011, 14:48     #180
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Wierd, sounds pretty similar to what Cactus Kate posted and she's still there.. The benefits of having slept with Mallard i guess
Old 12th August 2011, 15:10     #181
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I pointed out that Labour MPs saying "Switzerland and Turkey are the only places without CGT" was incorrect and/or deliberately misleading, as Hong Kong and Singapore don't have CGTs at all, and many other countries that DO have CGTs have exemptions and loopholes so broad that CGT is rarely ever incurred.
If these Labour clowns are typical of many NZers, they probably still think HK and Singapore are some third world, backwater places and don't count as developed countries.
Old 13th August 2011, 14:45     #182
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladin
Wierd, sounds pretty similar to what Cactus Kate posted and she's still there.. The benefits of having slept with Mallard i guess
Thought the same thing myself.
Old 13th August 2011, 14:59     #183
doppelgänger of someone

Aren't they saying the only OECD countries w/o CGT are NZ, Switzerland and Turkey? That's is technically true, Hong Kong and Singapore aren't in OECD.

The more important thing is, Cactus Kate slept with Trevor Mallard. WHAT?
Old 13th August 2011, 17:05     #184
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppelgänger of someone
Aren't they saying the only OECD countries w/o CGT are NZ, Switzerland and Turkey? That's is technically true, Hong Kong and Singapore aren't in OECD.
Maybe they mean OECD but 'developed countries' is the term Robertson used.
Old 23rd August 2011, 15:40     #185
ZoSo

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...og-controversy

Your mate is at it again Ab. Winning friends and stuff.
Old 23rd August 2011, 15:54     #186
CCS
Stunt Pants

Haha, this is hilarious! In fact, this is the whole reason that National doesn't have a similar blogging setup. It would be very damaging to National if people learned the honest opinions of its members!
Old 23rd August 2011, 16:14     #187
ZoSo

Shutting down a clown like Williamson for this long, has impressed the hell out of me.
Old 4th September 2011, 13:41     #188
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Twitter @clarecurranmp
Clare Curran
Are there loudness discrepancies found on NZ TV adverts vs progs and if so should they be monitored and a unified national standard created?
THE ADS ARE LOUDER THAN THE TV SHOWS. THIS IS A DISGRACE. COMMUNICATIONS AND INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY SPOKESPERSON CLARE CURRAN PROPOSES MONITORING AND NATIONAL STANDARD.
Old 4th September 2011, 15:44     #189
CCS
Stunt Pants

Glad that Clare Curran is concerned about the important issues. Glad also that she understands things like audio compression.

I can say with authority that broadcasters have a limit on how loud they will transmit audio and won't let anything go higher than that - ads included. There is equipment in place to make sure that it can't happen. But people like Clare Curran will watch something like... oh, I don't know, Schindler's List for example - something quiet and contemplative - and when the ad break starts and an ad for Bond and Bond comes on, she spills her tea. Well, fuck her.

Simon, enjoying your twitter exchange with that clueless bint.
Old 4th September 2011, 15:46     #190
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

whoops, did I say all that out loud?
Old 4th September 2011, 17:03     #191
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
@clarecurranmp Clare Curran
@Clive_Copeman am no expert Clive but am asking why there are international standards that don't apply here. And we seem to deny it
I don't have twitter. Someone ask her what international standard she is referring to.
Old 4th September 2011, 18:25     #192
zeekiorage

In the US there is a the CALM act that requires broadcasting companies to put equipment in place to make sure the ads are at the same level as the program they accompany. It's probably one of the most popular laws signed by Obama.
Old 4th September 2011, 18:43     #193
CCS
Stunt Pants

The same level? By what measure?
Old 4th September 2011, 19:00     #194
Lightspeed

With the powers of technology, that's how!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commerc...Mitigation_Act

"The CALM Act [...] requires broadcast and cable television stations to adopt industry technology that ensures that commercials aren't louder than regular programming."
Old 4th September 2011, 19:08     #195
zeekiorage

I was quoting from memory but this old Ars article has some details.

Quote:
The bill is only a couple hundred words long. It directs the FCC to come up with regulations so that:

- Advertisements accompanying such video programming shall not be excessively noisy or strident
- Such advertisements shall not be presented at modulation levels substantially higher than the program material that such advertisements accompany
- The average maximum loudness of such advertisements shall not be substantially higher than the average maximum loudness of the program material that such advertisements accompany
Old 4th September 2011, 19:09     #196
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Then the McDonalds jingle comes on and its waveform has been compressed into a solid wall which is at no point any louder than the peak of the combined car-crash-nuclear-detonation-asteroid-impact in the Michael Bay flick it is interrupting.
Old 4th September 2011, 19:23     #197
Lightspeed

Right, but there's still the generally experienced phenomena of such sounds being louder.

If there's tech out there that can demonstrably reduce the experience of this phenomena of "loudness", then I'm all for legislating its mandatory use. Well, I would be if I watched TV anymore.
Old 4th September 2011, 19:37     #198
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

IIRC Dolby released some home stereo gear a while back that jiggled compression and EQ on the fly depending on how loud you were playing it. That's pretty cool.
Old 4th September 2011, 22:54     #199
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
With the powers of technology, that's how!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commerc...Mitigation_Act

"The CALM Act [...] requires broadcast and cable television stations to adopt industry technology that ensures that commercials aren't louder than regular programming."
That's great 'n all, but how is 'louder' determined? Since volume is subjective, how are we to measure what is deemed 'louder'? Is we're to measure it, say, in terms of dbfs then there's really no need to insist on a national standard of 'loudness' since broadcasters already transmit everything at -10 dbfs. But since the CALM Act doesn't mandate a specific level but rather a vague notion of how loud audio should be (how loud? Not too loud!) then what would a similar vague standard here achieve?

The Australians have an similarly vague code of practice known as Operational Practice 48. Again, it doesn't mandate any technical requirement to meet a specific standard, just a vague directive that "Commercials must not be excessively noisy or strident." The Australian Screen Sound Guild explains better than I can why OP48 is not very useful.

Curran talks about some international standard that she believes is being ignored but as neither CALM Act nor OP48 are international standards, that can't be what she's referring to.

This whole idea of Curran's is nothing more than a sop to voters who don't have any important issues they care about. Vote Curran and Labour will save you from pesky commercials that make you spill your tea!
Old 5th September 2011, 00:53     #200
verve_rat

I don't really care that much (Labour LOL) but this might be a good place to start:

Quote:
Originally Posted by European Broadcasting Union
http://tech.ebu.ch/docs/r/r128.pdf

The EBU, considering;
e) that an international standard for measuring audio programme loudness has been defined in ITU-R BS.1770 [3], introducing the measures LU (Loudness Unit) and LUFS (Loudness Unit, referenced to Full Scale)1;