NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 18th March 2022, 15:06     #281
Lightspeed

Oof, that's so bad. The impact of climate change has the potential to make WWII look like a petty skirmish.
Old 20th March 2022, 00:36     #282
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

New Labor govt in South Australia, privatisation party voted out after a single term. Democracy sausage in full effect.
Old 18th May 2022, 15:05     #283
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Satanists doing the Lord's work, as usual

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-...room/101075832
Old 20th May 2022, 23:51     #284
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Election Day tomorrow. Please gods old and new, let these evil pricks be cast out of office and into the outer darkness, never to return.
Old 21st May 2022, 00:26     #285
Lightspeed

Question

Predictions?
Old 21st May 2022, 00:48     #286
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Centre-left Labor win, smaller majority than expected. Lotta people predicting a landslide, but who knows in the world of twitter bubbles. Wipeout, or at least a big hit, to the current senior leadership of the Liberal party. A small but significant influx of educated middle-class white women running as independents knocking off incumbent government MPs in some important seats, and everyone will rave about this being a victory for leftie progressive values until they wake up to the fact that the new MPs are educated middle-class white women, not woke activists. There'll be horror at a far greater vote for antivax antiestablishment antijewishnewworldorder candidates than expected. Greens will underperform and claim it as a moral victory.

But as long as we wake up on Sunday to a new government and Anthony Albanese as Prime Minister, I'll take it as a win for the forces of good. Such as they are in Australia.
Old 21st May 2022, 01:41     #287
Lightspeed

I'll drink to that!
Old 21st May 2022, 14:58     #288
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Former (and Australia's first female) PM Julia Gillard came out of anonymous civilian life and has done some campaigning for Labor in Adelaide this week, and all it's done is make everyone else look shit by comparison. Can we vote to get her back against her will?
Old 21st May 2022, 19:22     #289
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Former (and Australia's first female) PM Julia Gillard came out of anonymous civilian life and has done some campaigning for Labor in Adelaide this week, and all it's done is make everyone else look shit by comparison. Can we vote to get her back against her will?
She was a terrible PM...and it's taken the nation about 5 years to stop including a c in the word negotiating.
Old 21st May 2022, 21:54     #290
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

She was fucking great you fuck!

So far my prediction holding… Labor ahead 2PP but weaker than polling suggested.
Old 22nd May 2022, 07:13     #291
_Incubus_

So we now had Albo in charge, I'm not sure what either side stood for during this campaign other than saying the other guy was shit so vote for me...
Old 22nd May 2022, 09:59     #292
Lightspeed

Well it's rare that NZ, the US, and Australia all have progressive leadership. Altho the US only barely counts.
Old 23rd May 2022, 11:42     #293
Lightspeed

Is anyone else searching Pauline Hanson every five minutes to see if she's lost her seat?

😅
Old 23rd May 2022, 12:58     #294
_Incubus_

I'm super glad that no Clive Palmer candidates got up, and Craig Kelly lost his seat.
Old 23rd May 2022, 13:11     #295
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Labor inching closer to an outright majority; if they fall short by 1 seat, parachuting Keneally into Fowler to fail is going to seem pretty damn stupid.
Old 23rd May 2022, 17:48     #296
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Labor inching closer to an outright majority; if they fall short by 1 seat, parachuting Keneally into Fowler to fail is going to seem pretty damn stupid.
That was next level stupid....glad the voters saw through this. Putting a northern beaches candidate in to that kind of electorate was never going to play well.
Old 23rd May 2022, 19:40     #297
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Incubus_
I'm super glad that no Clive Palmer candidates got up, and Craig Kelly lost his seat.
Old 24th May 2022, 16:52     #298
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

New PM makes a secular affirmation rather than swearing an oath on Teh Bible.

https://youtu.be/Y5E2NjlAnLk?t=343
Old 24th May 2022, 20:45     #299
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
New PM makes a secular affirmation rather than swearing an oath on Teh Bible.

https://youtu.be/Y5E2NjlAnLk?t=343
Old 24th May 2022, 21:02     #300
Lightspeed

Wink

Now y'all gonna get the climate change as God's wraith. You were safe up till now!
Old 27th May 2022, 10:48     #301
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Labor now short by 1 seat.
Old 29th May 2022, 13:32     #302
Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
God's wraith.
Not worried tbh, I'm sure the party includes at least one cleric with a high level turn undead ability.
Old 23rd September 2022, 13:01     #303
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Australia’s central bank has equity wiped out by billions in bond losses

We're probably going to need an economic collapse/stock market crash thread in about a month.
Old 23rd September 2022, 13:12     #304
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

lol we're the Reserve Bank we can just print more moneys!!1
Old 18th October 2022, 09:33     #305
Nich

Sort of Trump-related, but here's a step in the right direction:

Australia ‘removes’ reference to West Jerusalem as Israel capital
https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2022/...sraeli-capital

It's rare that I see government do something I support. So I think I'm going to write a letter to them saying thank you.
Old 27th November 2022, 19:21     #306
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

muh

Big win for Andrews Labor in Vic.
Old 11th March 2023, 14:54     #307
Lightspeed

Royal commission exposes robodebt as ethically indefensible policy targeting vulnerable people
Old 13th March 2023, 11:58     #308
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Laugh

Robodebt is a horror show. One can’t even make jokes about it.
Old 13th March 2023, 13:50     #309
Lightspeed

You can see why people flip out over the government being corrupt.
Old 13th March 2023, 14:33     #310
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

It’s not so much corruption per se - although Australia, so endemic - but just heartlessness. A right wing government and a whipped public service using all the modern tools of algorithmic technocracy to just kerb-stomp a group of the most vulnerable citizens.

And you just know no one will ever be held accountable.
Old 13th March 2023, 15:26     #311
Lightspeed

As you were saying:

Minister Victor Dominello was targeted by ClubsNSW over poker machine reform

Quote:
A senior New South Wales Liberal minister has spoken for the first time about how a powerful Australian gambling lobby group forced him out of the portfolio and has called for an investigation into its influence over government.
Old 14th March 2023, 22:16     #312
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Amazing how HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS OF DOLLARS can be found in a country’s budget just like that.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-...nced/102087614
Old 15th March 2023, 09:13     #313
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Amazing how HUNDREDS OF BILLIONS OF DOLLARS can be found in a country’s budget just like that.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-03-...nced/102087614
It's going to turbocharge South Australia, something like 4000 jobs just to build the facility that 20,000 people are going to build the 8 nuke subs.
Old 15th March 2023, 10:28     #314
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Heaps good
Old 15th March 2023, 15:11     #315
Lightspeed

It's geopolitically interesting. Even how they haven't committed to five subs, but they're leaving that door open. Which kinda feels like a way of saying "yes, this is an escalation, but we could take it further".
Old 15th March 2023, 17:38     #316
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

We are talking about the AU gov, and a deal first conceived by Scott Morrison. There is no way it will stay anywhere near its official budget; there is no way it will happen on schedule; there is a non-zero chance of a nuclear incident.
Old 16th March 2023, 06:07     #317
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
there is a non-zero chance of a nuclear incident.
Hmm - Kyle Hill is always looking for new content
Old 5th May 2023, 17:42     #318
blynk

I haven't followed up much on it, but good shit to the Au politician (or party) who is looking to put more bans on vaping.

How the fuck did it get so bad in AU & NZ. Some of the things they will put in place should have been there since day 1
Old 12th October 2023, 09:50     #319
_Incubus_

Any point talking about the Voice referendum here? Seems like the Yes vote is sinking faster than the Titanic.

Lack of details, I think people since Covid have a lot less trust in Govt. So when asking a populace to 'trust us, just vote yes' alarm bells are going off.
Old 12th October 2023, 11:30     #320
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Incubus_
Any point talking about the Voice referendum here? Seems like the Yes vote is sinking faster than the Titanic.

Lack of details, I think people since Covid have a lot less trust in Govt. So when asking a populace to 'trust us, just vote yes' alarm bells are going off.
It's a clusterfuck. I'm voting Yes, but Yes will fail, and it's entirely the campaign's own fault.