NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > The year of rugby
User Name
Password

Old 29th November 2009, 12:23     #1
buckies

Thumbs up ABs vs Le Coqs

The game warrants its own thread in terms of praise. There were many standout performances in this game, but I'll only list a few:

Carter put on a champagne performance, and showed again why he's the best back ever to play the game. Pound for Pound he's the strongest rugby player in the world, given his ability to shrug off tackles, clear rucks, and stand on his feet given his comparatively smaller frame.

Smith was spectacular. A year ago I loathed him as a player and had severe doubts about him at centre for the next world cup. Today I'm praying that Kahui stays injured, so that he doesn't complicate things for consideration at centre. Smith is rock solid on defense, and I think the clean sheet should principally be credited to him given how he marshals the backline. On offence he's improved considerably, in particular with his speed off the mark and line breaking ability. His offloading and brains were always there from the outset. It seems as though he's now got the complete package, and is worthy of the 'world's best centre' mantle (eat it you BoD lovers).

Cory Jane is a real headache, simply because he's had such a great season at wing. Is it worth specializing him in this position at a super 14 and provincial level? Guildford is good, but he isn't capable of the sort of individual brilliance try that Cory Jane illustrated today. Twice Cory did some brutal left handed facial fends, and his pace and explosiveness continues to develop. It's good to have three good wingers in the team, and hopefully the selectors have now seen enough to never consider Rokocoko in the frame again.

Ma'a Nonu hadn't had a good tour heading into this game, but today he illustrated just how devastating he can be when on song. The key now is to develop this playing style with more consistency. He still had a few fleeting moments of stupidity (e.g. when he played dummy half and took the ball up without a pass only to get exposed and infringe), but his overall skill set continues to improve, as does his rugby brain. He's definitely our man for 2011 in the #12 jersey. IMO, McAlister ain't worth the time, and I'd rather see Kahui or Donald backup #12 over him.

Overall our team looks good from 1-15. 1 player I do not rate, have never rated, and believe needs to be axed from the team, is Neemia Tialata. He's pound for pound the weakest soft cock I've ever seen. He has a good 10-15kg on his opposites, and still gets crushed at scrum time. He's lazy around the park, and doesn't make good yards with the ball in hand. Hopefully by the end of next Super 14 a consistent performing prop has proven themselves to take his place permanently.

Finally, on top of the Guilford/Jane headache, we've also got a problem going with Thomson or Kaino for #6. Read has undoubtedly got #8 locked down now, but Thomson and Kaino have both played great rugby and offer different skills on the park. I was skeptical with the Kaino selection pre-match, but, in the wake of the game, it was clearly the right choice to make for the conditions at hand.

A great end to the season, that renewed my faith in the All Blacks heading into 2010, and restored the balance of Southern Hemisphere rugby dominance.
Old 29th November 2009, 12:27     #2
p-b

Brad Thorn's a tough cunt, but I don't think he will be able to hold out until 2011, which is a shame.
Old 29th November 2009, 12:40     #3
orpheus
Jedi Knight

i knew we had a backline somewhere.
Old 29th November 2009, 13:24     #4
herp

Amazing game, what a performance! International rugby is back!
Old 29th November 2009, 14:52     #5
JERI

Thumbs up

Can't wait to see ABs vs Barbarians
Old 29th November 2009, 15:24     #6
buckies

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-b
Brad Thorn's a tough cunt, but I don't think he will be able to hold out until 2011, which is a shame.
Yeah, I didn't bother heaping any praise on Thorne or McCaw, since they consistently play to a phenomenal level week in week out.

If there's one man who continues to defy the age barrier, it's Brad Thorne. I wouldn't write him off 2011 just yet.
Old 30th November 2009, 12:21     #7
xor

This was the best game I've seen in years.
Old 30th November 2009, 12:27     #8
oOo Dragon oOo

Is there a torrent out of this game? I missed it and no sky so no replays for me
Old 30th November 2009, 12:31     #9
Thomas Meatball

It was nice to see them playing with that sort of confidence for a change

I thought the French and Italian coverage was pretty mediocre tbh. In particular, the shots offered up from the camera that runs on a rail alongside the pitch were pretty shit. It's a nifty camera but it's not suited for rugby. The super-slo-mo replays were bloody irritating as well, especially as most of the time the replay was of nothing in particular. The one time this replay was used to great effect it was of Cory Jane fending a Frenchman in the face. Haha, get out of it, ya bastard!
Old 30th November 2009, 12:56     #10
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Meatball
It was nice to see them playing with that sort of confidence for a change

I thought the French and Italian coverage was pretty mediocre tbh. In particular, the shots offered up from the camera that runs on a rail alongside the pitch were pretty shit. It's a nifty camera but it's not suited for rugby. The super-slo-mo replays were bloody irritating as well, especially as most of the time the replay was of nothing in particular. The one time this replay was used to great effect it was of Cory Jane fending a Frenchman in the face. Haha, get out of it, ya bastard!
All the super slow mo replays were UTTERLY brilliant, you're retarded if you thought they were a waste of time. It's not like they played them while the game was running. I'd rather watch these than them fucking around trying to set the scrum up!

All great points buckies well said, I too am as positive about the AB outlook as you, they're making good inroads all over the park.
Old 30th November 2009, 13:02     #11
Thomas Meatball

Rolling eyes

Well you're retarded if you think they were UTTERLY brilliant. And actually some of the replays were still going while play had restarted. Besides which, some of the replays just weren't showing anything - they're a cheap gimmick to dazzle people who will say "ooh, it's going really slow! Brilliant!"
Old 30th November 2009, 13:49     #12
blynk

I liked some of the shots. Yes there were a few pointless ones but it still gives an interesting look at the game.
The Cory Jane one was the best, I also like the Kaino Vs Chebell(sp?), although I am not sure if that was a slo-mo shot
Old 30th November 2009, 13:59     #13
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Well you're retarded if you think they were UTTERLY brilliant. And actually some of the replays were still going while play had restarted. Besides which, some of the replays just weren't showing anything - they're a cheap gimmick to dazzle people who will say "ooh, it's going really slow! Brilliant!"
*points at the guy with the shit tv*
Old 30th November 2009, 14:11     #14
Thomas Meatball

Like I said, some of the replays were okay. Consider the Italian test also, though. That was far worse for wtf replays. They really don't need to be that slow either. I mean, these are super slow replays we're seeing, not the normal slow-motion. For a great face-fend I'm happy to make an exception but other than that it's a gimmick imo.
Old 30th November 2009, 14:34     #15
herp

I liked the super slow-mo replays, that Cory Jane face fend was superb. Kaino / Chabel charge was great too. I can take a few less-than-average replays if they can come up with ones mentioned above every so often. With more focused use of this they'll rival the super slow-mo cricket coverage they have at Channel Nine in Australia.

Now those are great.

Even if they are just a gimmick they are still visually interesting to the audience.
Old 30th November 2009, 15:18     #16
Thomas Meatball

I guess if you're entranced by somebody jingling their keys in front of your face you'd also find some super-slo-mo shots 'visually entertaining'.

What about the rail camera alongside the pitch? Any comment on that? Would you prefer it over a steadicam?
Old 30th November 2009, 15:30     #17
blynk

The sideline cam could be good, but I think there needs to be more control (or the person needs to learn to use it).

If they can adjust it to the speed of the player, and adjust the height/angle, it could work for the run aways.

Next they should have little cameras in the ground pointing up, so if there is ever a scrum or maul you could look into it.
And may a camera in the end of the ball, and in some the head gear.
Old 30th November 2009, 15:47     #18
herp

Quote:
I guess if you're entranced by somebody jingling their keys in front of your face you'd also find some super-slo-mo shots 'visually entertaining'.

What about the rail camera alongside the pitch? Any comment on that? Would you prefer it over a steadicam?
I said interesting, not entertaining. I have nfi what jingling keys is referring to either.

I find super slo-mo shots interesting, so what? What's the problem here? Are you offended that people have a difference of opinion?

If they used the rail camera like they do in the State of Origin and 100m Sprints it would be good. I don't really remember it being used to be honest, but I like seeing it when they can keep up with the players. It's an awesome angle on the play.
Old 30th November 2009, 15:51     #19
herp

Super slow motion cricket like this is awesome: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3x72rFy1YmU
Old 30th November 2009, 15:52     #20
Thomas Meatball

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
The sideline cam could be good, but I think there needs to be more control (or the person needs to learn to use it).
Here's my problem (part of, anyway) with the rail cam. They do that flash move where the rail cam tracks along when a kicker is lining up to take a conversion. The camera tracks, inevitably gets a touch judge and a corner post through the middle of the shot and then follows the ball as it crosses the posts. All very 'visually entertaining.' But the camera zooms on the ball and wobbles up and down and left and right. This is typical of shooting at the far end of a long lens - every minute movement becomes amplified a great deal. I tend to think there's a problem in the way the camera is designed. The more the zoom, the more the camera should compensate and any input from the operator should be 'ramped down' so to speak. A good operator could probably become accustomed to this but when you're used to shooting soccerball (which I suspect they are) you're never going to nail it.

Give me a good behind-the-posts shot for conversions any day. I'd always take a steadicam over a sideline rail cam as well. The steadicam operator right on the pitch can see the game with his own two eyes and judge what he's going to do with the camera. The rail cam operator is sitting god knows where and has, what a preview monitor and a line monitor? Chances are he can't see outside the FOV of his camera lens to make judgements.

Quote:
And may a camera in the end of the ball, and in some the head gear.
That would definately be visually entertaining. I would never grow tired of the novelty of a ball cam.
Old 30th November 2009, 15:53     #21
Thomas Meatball

Quote:
Originally Posted by herp
I said interesting, not entertaining. I have nfi what jingling keys is referring to either.
Ever seen somebody jingle keys in front of a baby? They love it.

Quote:
I find super slo-mo shots interesting, so what? What's the problem here? Are you offended that people have a difference of opinion?
No, I'm irritated. Irritated that people would be so happy to settle for something that merely looks good. It's style over substance imo.
Old 30th November 2009, 16:23     #22
blynk

Quote:
That would definately be visually entertaining. I would never grow tired of the novelty of a ball cam.
Would probably need to come with a warning that it May cause sea sickness.
Old 30th November 2009, 16:25     #23
blynk

Quote:
No, I'm irritated. Irritated that people would be so happy to settle for something that merely looks good. It's style over substance imo.
The thing is that they already have a lot of cameras all over the place anyway.

A few cameras here and there for shots like this can't hurt (I assume they are from different cameras). Plus what was said earlier, where they are being shown in stoppages. If something "exciting" has happened, they still showed that first.
Old 30th November 2009, 16:36     #24
Thomas Meatball

I appreciate the fact that you didn't call me a retard for having a contrary opinion or make fun of my television.
Old 30th November 2009, 16:42     #25
herp

Re:style/substance, I like how it looks and I like what it shows me. I think it has more than enough substance to be justified. The Kaino v Chabel one was interesting because it showed Chabel was running at him (as opposed to a gap), he lowered himself a bit, leaned forward and his body tensed for the direct hit. Kaino set his feet, lowered his body as well and drove his right shoulder into Chabel, he even braced himself a little bit before the hit. It was a great challenge and a great use of the ssm.

The Cory Jane fend was also great, especially when you are watching it with French supporters.

The Donnelly lineout was great too seeing how high he got in the air over his opponent and how his eyes had a short moment of panic before he found Cowan to pass too. Simple things, yes, like jingling keys, but when slowed down like that make it more complex.

If they could use it for the scrum impact (did they?) that would be awesome seeing the front row hit and their bodies reacting to the immense pressure.

Maybe a penalty kick even focused on the ball too.

Re: novelty cameras. A camera at the top of the posts would be cool for a view of a conversion, seeing the ball fly past you. Kind of like the angles you used to get in Jonah Lomu rugby.
Old 30th November 2009, 16:51     #26
herp

Mind you I've been watching these SSM in HD, where pretty much any shot is amazing. The HD golf coverage at this years majors was unreal. I actually wanted to watch it, as opposed to not giving a crap.
Old 30th November 2009, 16:57     #27
Thomas Meatball

Quote:
Originally Posted by herp
Re:style/substance, I like how it looks and I like what it shows me. I think it has more than enough substance to be justified. The Kaino v Chabel one was interesting because it showed Chabel was running at him (as opposed to a gap), he lowered himself a bit, leaned forward and his body tensed for the direct hit. Kaino set his feet, lowered his body as well and drove his right shoulder into Chabel, he even braced himself a little bit before the hit. It was a great challenge and a great use of the ssm.

The Cory Jane fend was also great, especially when you are watching it with French supporters.

The Donnelly lineout was great too seeing how high he got in the air over his opponent and how his eyes had a short moment of panic before he found Cowan to pass too. Simple things, yes, like jingling keys, but when slowed down like that make it more complex.

If they could use it for the scrum impact (did they?) that would be awesome seeing the front row hit and their bodies reacting to the immense pressure.

Maybe a penalty kick even focused on the ball too.

Re: novelty cameras. A camera at the top of the posts would be cool for a view of a conversion, seeing the ball fly past you. Kind of like the angles you used to get in Jonah Lomu rugby.
I suggest you write to Sky Sports and suggest they use these sorts of camera angles.
Old 30th November 2009, 17:12     #28
Thomas Meatball

Actually, what I want is ref-cam so I can see what he's seeing. Equip with some eye-tracking shit so you can tell where he's looking... that's the stuff.
Old 30th November 2009, 17:15     #29
buckies

I wish they had Fight Cam - a dedicated camera man whose job it is to vividly record any brawls that eventuate.

Couldn't make shit out of the one on the French try line, and it looked like a goodie too.
Old 1st December 2009, 04:05     #30
DeskJet

Interesting that you named Nonu as a standout player, I thought he was shit. Just displayed more of his inability to pass getting him in trouble with holding onto the ball and messing up tries.

But what a great game, was so good to see some tries in a game of rugby!
Old 2nd December 2009, 01:12     #31
p-b

Quote:
Ever seen somebody jingle keys in front of a baby? They love it.

Television is a visual medium. I would have thought that anything that had some sort of visual appeal thus meant it had substance.

I would definately be pleased to see SSM at women's beach volleyball or some such.
Old 2nd December 2009, 09:38     #32
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

I've just worked out who TMB is.... he's my dad!!!

Rang the old man last night and we got to talking about the rugby over the last couple of weeks - and one bugbear we both agreed on was teh shit TV coverage out of Europe.....

WTF are they thinking?

* Camera angels where you can't make out the direction of play...
* Fucked up replays of nothing in particular.... especially when it cuts back to live play and you find you've missed a quick tap or throw in
* Simple behind the posts for the conversion/penalty is still the best angle...

So yeah... my dad is TMB... it's the only explanation
Old 2nd December 2009, 10:02     #33
Thomas Meatball

I <3 Rince's dad. He sounds like a good common sense man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-b
Television is a visual medium. I would have thought that anything that had some sort of visual appeal thus meant it had substance.
What the hell? You could use that to justify damn near anything. You may have noticed the rainbow graphics used to transition in and out of the replay (which was a bit too gay pride for my liking). Maybe they should replace those graphics with Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition hotties? I mean, it's got sod all to do with rugby but it's got visual appeal so that's just adding something of substance to the coverage, right?

Wrong. There ought to be a reason for using shots, not just because you can. Here's the thing: I like the Jane fend and Chabal tackle super-slo-mo replays - they worked well. But for every good replay there were a whole lot more that showed nothing and seemed to be there simply to say "Look, slo mo! Slower than usual slow mo!" The director needs to be more discerning. Just because the replay is available, it doesn't mean he has to use it. And, as Rince's dad pointed out, the replays were sometimes still going after play had restarted. I don't know if the production team isn't used to how the game is played or if they're just doing what they feel like doing.
Old 2nd December 2009, 11:29     #34
blynk

From what I picked up, there was only 1 time that there was play happening while a replay was on (and it wasn't a slo mo). That was when the french kicked it down into touch near our goal line, and there was a quick throw in (and to be honest, it looked like they weren't going to do it).
I can think of numerous occassions that this happens including in the Tri Nations coverage.

I don't remember the gay pride thing, but are you sure it wasn't the French colours as part of the transition?

Last edited by blynk : 2nd December 2009 at 11:31.
Old 2nd December 2009, 12:57     #35
Thomas Meatball

Quote:
Originally Posted by blynk
From what I picked up, there was only 1 time that there was play happening while a replay was on (and it wasn't a slo mo). That was when the french kicked it down into touch near our goal line, and there was a quick throw in (and to be honest, it looked like they weren't going to do it).
I can think of numerous occassions that this happens including in the Tri Nations coverage.
I'm pretty sure it happened more often than that, but it's still not really a reason for having pointless replays.

Quote:
I don't remember the gay pride thing, but are you sure it wasn't the French colours as part of the transition?
I guess it could be if the French colours are red, blue, purple, yellow and orange these days. Have a look at the youtube I linked to, just after the fend replay.
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:10     #36
wugambino
Electric Boogaloo

some vintage stephen jones

Quote:
Take this current touring party. I would imagine that no one will be killed in the rush to sign the likes of Cory Jane, Jimmy Cowan, Tom Donnelly, Stephen Donald, Andy Ellis, Jerome Kaino or even Brad Thorn. Frankly, even Conrad Smith no longer appeared to be out of the top drawer these past few weeks.
Jane, Thorne and Smith have been outstanding this tour IMO, Conrad smith alone has more line breaks (and tries) then all the EU teams combined ... mind you what good is a running winger/center in the Hinekkin cup
Old 3rd December 2009, 11:29     #37
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckies
I wish they had Fight Cam - a dedicated camera man whose job it is to vividly record any brawls that eventuate.

Couldn't make shit out of the one on the French try line, and it looked like a goodie too.
It's not that there were no camera angles for the fight, RU is so fucking PC they refuse to SHOW fights! ITS RIDICULOUS! Just by not showing it doesnt mean it didn't happen! Are we not old enough to look at men fighting on a sports field? I don't get it eh, back in the day you'd get 5 slow mo angles of the best punches :P League wins hands down in this area.
Old 3rd December 2009, 12:14     #38
blynk

No, in this case there was no camera on it (at least to start with), as the coaches said there was no evidence of the eye gouging.

But other than that, yes a lot of these things will be recorded, as they would be used in judiciary hearings, but they are just not shown
Old 6th December 2009, 19:46     #39
fixed_truth

Quote:
Captain Richie McCaw insists the shock 18-25 defeat to the Barbarians hasn't taken the gloss off a successful All Blacks rugby tour
LIKE FUCK IT HASN'T.
Old 7th December 2009, 09:10     #40
blynk

I don't know. I didn't watch the game myself, just some highlights, but I don't think they really cared too much.
Otherwise why would you play a 2nd string side, with no big names even on the bench, against a side full of stars. Even if they don't normally play with each other, the some of the best players (and Rokocoko).
Plus the fact that it wasn't a test and was just an exhibition game.