NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 18th March 2014, 08:52     #121
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

I'm surprised that they did so well; there must be quite a few die-hard head-in-the-sand supporters there.

Ask yourself this, why haven't half of them jumped to National? National's political position is the same as liebour was under clarke and it was good enough for them all then.
Old 18th March 2014, 09:13     #122
Pimp-X
Drunken Annoying
Superhero Bastard

Cunliffe is going to have to take the hit the same way Brash did. And exit the same way Brash did. Lame duck leader.

Labour can't lead. The Greens can't lead. Three more years boys, three more years.
Old 18th March 2014, 10:45     #123
CCS
Stunt Pants

Just goes to show that the electorate does not give a fuck about Judith Collins drinking a glass of milk in China.
Old 18th March 2014, 10:57     #124
IoriDyson

or the gcsb fiasco, or oil exploration, or asset sales, or the gst hike, or the massive growing inequality... in fact, i get the feeling the voting public don't really seem to give a shit about anything.
Old 18th March 2014, 11:30     #125
pxpx

storm in a teacup, storm in a teacup, storm in a teacup, storm in a teacup, growing inequality.

The voting public are smarter than you, it appears, or at least, more informed than you give credit.
Old 18th March 2014, 12:40     #126
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
The voting public are smarter than you, it appears, or at least, more informed than you give credit.
Nice 'appealing to popularity as an attempted form of validation' fallacy.

Old 18th March 2014, 12:45     #127
CCS
Stunt Pants

Sounds like the Left's tears of great sorrow have already begun rolling!
Old 18th March 2014, 13:34     #128
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by IoriDyson
or the gcsb fiasco, or oil exploration, or asset sales, or the gst hike, or the massive growing inequality... in fact, i get the feeling the voting public don't really seem to give a shit about anything.
Well, they obviously give a shit about the thought of a Green-Labour coalition running the country.
Old 18th March 2014, 14:29     #129
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by IoriDyson
If that is a list of terrible crimes perpetrated by National, then it should be very easy for Lab/Gr to mount a case against National and gain the support of the electorate, no?
Old 18th March 2014, 14:41     #130
Lightspeed

You mustn't think those things are so terrible, given they all are things that happened under National's government and you're still waving their flag.
Old 18th March 2014, 14:51     #131
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

yeah, because security concerns, mineral exploration, asset sales, and GST never happened before 2008! John Key kick my dog!
Old 18th March 2014, 14:52     #132
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
You mustn't think those things are so terrible, given they all are things that happened under National's government and you're still waving their flag.
It's silly to assume one isn't concerned about those things, simply because one is concerned over the current cluster fuck that is Lolbour. They (on the surface) appear to be choking on basic things, how on earth are we meant to trust them to get the real issues right? National are no bunch of saints, but at least they (mostly) get the basics right.
Old 18th March 2014, 14:58     #133
fixed_truth

What are the "real issues"? What are "basics"? And how exactly is National "getting them right"?
Old 18th March 2014, 15:06     #134
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Real issues: not looking incompetent.
Basics: not looking incompetent.
Getting it right: not looking incompetent.
Old 18th March 2014, 15:42     #135
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Nice 'appealing to popularity as an attempted form of validation' fallacy.
Did you get that from your 'Arguing on the Internet: An Introduction" text book?
Old 18th March 2014, 16:07     #136
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage
It's silly to assume one isn't concerned about those things, simply because one is concerned over the current cluster fuck that is Lolbour. They (on the surface) appear to be choking on basic things, how on earth are we meant to trust them to get the real issues right? National are no bunch of saints, but at least they (mostly) get the basics right.
The only thing I see Labour failing at is electioneering. Which is a basic I suppose, just not one I care about. All the rest is fringe piffle.
Old 18th March 2014, 16:39     #137
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
Did you get that from your 'Arguing on the Internet: An Introduction" text book?
Old 18th March 2014, 16:47     #138
CCS
Stunt Pants

fixed_truth why are you posting your passport photo?
Old 18th March 2014, 18:12     #139
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Tracy Watkins in Stuff:
Quote:
Blame National leader John Key's extraordinary popularity, blame the surge in economic confidence and belief that the country is on the right track, blame Labour leader David Cunliffe's stumbles over trusts and party policy, blame the carry-over of mistrust toward Cunliffe from within his own caucus, or blame the fact that there is clearly an internal struggle within Labour over direction and strategy.

What it all adds up to is a party that is yet to put up a convincing case to voters that it is ready to govern or that there is any reason for a change from National.
Old 18th March 2014, 19:40     #140
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimp-X
Labour can't lead. The Greens can't lead. Three more years boys, three more years.
Does the labour party still exist or do we instead have a new party hanging on to the logo of something now dead; well not dead in terms of voter options - National have taken over most of the political spectrum labour have occupied over the last quarter century.
Old 19th March 2014, 00:03     #141
spigalau

Didn't they do that whole New Labour thing in the early 90's ?

Jim Anderton - pre-Alliance.
Old 19th March 2014, 15:47     #142
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Looks like the rats are beginning to depart the Good Ship Cunliffe.

Example: the campaign website of one of Labour's most senior MPs, Clayton Cosgrove, now features no Labour slogans; no Labour campaign graphics; no Labour logos or branding; and you better fucking believe no photos of David Cunliffe.

Nope, he's just good old "Local MP Clayton Cosgrove". Serving in the House of Representatives. For the people of Waimakariri. No Labour connection here, nosirree. You must be thinking of someone else. Vote Quimby!

http://claytoncosgrove.org.nz/
Old 19th March 2014, 15:56     #143
leadinjector

Quote:
The only thing I see Labour failing at is electioneering. Which is a basic I suppose, just not one I care about. All the rest is fringe piffle.
its like a math test. if you get the first page wrong, the marker isnt going to look at the rest, cos they assume youre a fuckwit. the most prevalent thing about a party is its electioneering, which labour just cannot get right, so people assume they are fuckwits.
Old 19th March 2014, 16:21     #144
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
its like a math test. if you get the first page wrong, the marker isnt going to look at the rest, cos they assume youre a fuckwit. the most prevalent thing about a party is its electioneering, which labour just cannot get right, so people assume they are fuckwits.
Then you read the actual policies and you realise that they ARE fuckwits.
Old 19th March 2014, 16:59     #145
Lightspeed

I'll take the fucking idiots over the fucking cunts TBH.
Old 19th March 2014, 17:26     #146
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Not a big fan of incompetence myself.
Old 19th March 2014, 17:58     #147
Savage

Quote:
I'll take the fucking idiots over the fucking cunts TBH.
It really doesn't get much better than this statement.
Old 19th March 2014, 18:05     #148
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I'd rather well intentioned incompetence over competent but cynical & self-serving.

The incompetent can (usually) be taught, the self-serving will never not be self-serving.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 19th March 2014, 18:21     #149
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

On the job training to fix incompetence is not something I want to be hearing about in the body responsible for writing the nation's laws.
Old 19th March 2014, 20:13     #150
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
We're talking about degrees of incompetency here. None of the gaffs you've crowed over lately have seemed of particular significance to me. I recognise electioneering is important, but really it's not what I'm looking for in a political party. It takes a frothing loon to think after all its history the NZ Labour party suddenly forgot how to government.
Old 19th March 2014, 20:15     #151
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
I'd rather well intentioned incompetence over competent but cynical & self-serving.

The incompetent can (usually) be taught, the self-serving will never not be self-serving.
As I've said before - different people have different priorities on what's important to them. Cunliffes tricky trust pissed me off but tbh I don't really give a shit about a some grammatical errors on an eposter.

Also National and ACT (like any political parties) have had their fair share of incompetency. A few recent ones ottomh - Judith Collins Oravida, Hekia Parata (so many), Gerry Brownlee Christchurch, Aaron Gilmore, ditching student allowances for post graduate students, failing to reform MMP, retirement age, sky city . . .

So for me it's about policies that align with what priorities I feel are important. I would like a CGT and the top tax rate raised. I would like the retirement age raised and paid paternal leave extended. I would like low and middle income families to get more support.

Last edited by fixed_truth : 19th March 2014 at 20:17.
Old 19th March 2014, 22:58     #152
pxpx

Yet all you get are 4 story buildings made of wood.

Thanks Lolbour.
Old 20th March 2014, 12:03     #153
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Oh come on, what could possibly go wrong with something involving the NZ construction industry and buildings made out of wood?
Old 20th March 2014, 12:07     #154
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth

Also National and ACT (like any political parties) have had their fair share of incompetency. A few recent ones ottomh - Judith Collins Oravida, Hekia Parata (so many), Gerry Brownlee Christchurch, Aaron Gilmore, ditching student allowances for post graduate students, failing to reform MMP, retirement age, sky city . . .
None of those things strike me as issues of incompetence other than Hekia Parata, which I guess is so epic that it kinda makes up for all the others.
Old 20th March 2014, 12:18     #155
spigalau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Oh come on, what could possibly go wrong with something involving the NZ construction industry and buildings made out of wood?
They should take a leaf out of the NZ Boat Building Industry and switch to hi-tech materials like Carbon Fibre & Composites.
Old 24th March 2014, 14:03     #156
ZoSo

Old 24th March 2014, 15:42     #157
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Just goes to show that the electorate does not give a fuck about Judith Collins drinking a glass of milk in China.
Roy Morgan poll has Collins scandal denting Nats' support
Old 24th March 2014, 15:57     #158
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoSo
cartoon.jpg[
Quote:
Dotcom said he was also in talks with Mana Party leader Hone Harawira to unite their two parties under one umbrella, enabling the Internet Party to ride into Parliament on the coat-tails of the Te Tai Tokerau electorate MP.
Thanks National!
Old 24th March 2014, 17:10     #159
CCS
Stunt Pants

Oh noes! Imagine if National lost! Imagine having LabGreen running the country! Collins' glass of milk would be the least of our worries!
Old 24th March 2014, 17:40     #160
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Harawirowned

Whores gonna whore.