NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 7th November 2012, 12:54     #41
blur^

so if you are an obama supporter and you live in a romney state, your vote is meaningless? it sounds like if you want your vote to even count you have to move to one of the swing states?

what an awesome system

Last edited by blur^ : 7th November 2012 at 12:58.
Old 7th November 2012, 12:58     #42
CCS
Stunt Pants

I suppose Democrat voters in a Red state could pull finger and make sure they all vote and try to reduce that margin and so turn it into a potential minor swing state for next election. But yeah nah... really they're fucked. HA HA HAAA!
Old 7th November 2012, 13:05     #43
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by blur^
so if you are an obama supporter and you live in a republican state, your vote is meaningless? it sounds like if you want your vote to even count you have to move to one of the swing states?

what an awesome system
Even then, it's entirely up to the Electoral college, who is free to vote for whatever, regardless of what ends up being popular in the state.

See also: How Bush won in 2000. It hadn't happened since 1888 prior to that.
Old 7th November 2012, 13:09     #44
leadinjector

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
See also: Swing States for a little background on why they're important.

TLR 48 out of 50 states run a "system where the candidate who wins the most popular votes in a state wins all of that state's electoral votes. This way, presidential candidates have no incentive to spend time or resources in states they are likely to win or lose by a sizable margin."

Ohio, Florida: massive swing states, vote could go either way.
its just such a fucked way of doing it. 49% of the people in a state could vote for an opposition and their vote would essentially mean nothing. i just.... i dont understand how this is a thing that happens. my mind is full of fuck
Old 7th November 2012, 13:22     #45
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
Even then, it's entirely up to the Electoral college, who is free to vote for whatever, regardless of what ends up being popular in the state.

See also: How Bush won in 2000. It hadn't happened since 1888 prior to that.
There was only one faithless elector in 2000, and it wasn't the reason for Bush's victory. You might be confused with the nationwide popular vote, which Bush lost, but has no bearing on the election, as the electors only take into consideration the state-wide popular vote.
Old 7th November 2012, 13:30     #46
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
its just such a fucked way of doing it. 49% of the people in a state could vote for an opposition and their vote would essentially mean nothing. i just.... i dont understand how this is a thing that happens. my mind is full of fuck
Not that different from how our whole system worked prior to MMP. Governments were formed with as little as 30% of the popular vote IIRC.
Old 7th November 2012, 13:47     #47
blur^

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
yeah thats what had me confused
but then i was reminded that this is just for the presidency not for the government, at the same time people are voting for house of representatives? which i think is more like our parliament which gets seats based on % of votes

and then there is congress and the senate,
also governors and mayors...mind boggle
Old 7th November 2012, 13:56     #48
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
yeah thats what had me confused
but then i was reminded that this is just for the presidency not for the government, at the same time people are voting for house of representatives? which i think is more like our parliament which gets seats based on % of votes

and then there is congress and the senate,
also governors and mayors...mind boggle
Congress is both the House of Representatives and the Senate.

The House is pretty much like how our electorate seats work, with electorates based on population - but the overall winner in each seat is still decided by first past the post, they're not allocated by a %age system. It does tend to reflect a fairer picture though, there's still plenty of fucked up things about it, like how whoever wins the state legislature in the 2 years prior gets to redraw the electorate boundaries to suit their candidates.

The Senate has 2 seats per state - so is not population based, designed this way to prevent the interests of low pop states getting rail-roaded by the bigger states - the tyranny of the majority. Again the winner of the seat is simple first past the post.

Mayors are well, exactly like our mayors here so not so difficult to understand :P I believe their powers tend to be more wide ranging than ours though.
Old 7th November 2012, 14:02     #49
blur^

so a congressman from each...county? and the two senators represent each state in the house? do senators have more voting power?

what about governors? is that just the 'mayor' for the state capital?
Old 7th November 2012, 14:11     #50
ZoSo

Florida starting to dribble in.
http://www.politico.com/2012-electio...sident/2012/FL
Old 7th November 2012, 14:12     #51
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
so a congressman from each...county? and the two senators represent each state in the house? do senators have more voting power?

what about governors? is that just the 'mayor' for the state capital?
Congressman from each district. A law needs to be passed by the House, the Senate and the President (though I believe the president can be ignored by the other two if they have a 2/3 majority) so I guess you could say that a single Senator has more power to affect the vote than a single congressman. 1 out of 100 vs 1 out of 435 or whatever.

Governors are the effectively the president of the state level government - remembering that the senate and house are usually replicated at the state level as well.

I believe each level, federal, state and city has varying powers to level taxation so you could pay federal income tax, state payroll and sales tax and city level land-owners tax. Conceptually this isn't so different from here though, since I pay tax to my local council (rates), greater regional council (more rates) and national (the rest of the taxes)..
Old 7th November 2012, 14:34     #52
Heyzoos
Robosexual

I've found this to be edifying (a bit off topic)...

www.politifact.com

there's an app for that

even for poors
Old 7th November 2012, 14:47     #53
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

http://www.freerepublic.com/tag/breaking-news/index
Old 7th November 2012, 14:53     #54
Vrtigo
Marginal Poster

that site is always so fucking lol
Old 7th November 2012, 15:00     #55
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Spoken like a nigger-loving godless librul communist.
Old 7th November 2012, 15:48     #56
ZoSo

http://elections.huffingtonpost.com/2012/results

Seems more up to date.
Old 7th November 2012, 15:53     #57
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Best projections are always at http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/
Old 7th November 2012, 15:58     #58
sidbo
Raptus regaliter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Spoken like a nigger-loving godless librul communist.
It's even more lol after the results. Last election I seem to recall lots of "not my president" and "country first" posts.
Old 7th November 2012, 16:09     #59
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Best projections are always at http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/
More specifically: http://elections.nytimes.com/2012/results/president
Old 7th November 2012, 16:13     #60
a-tech

George W Bush votes for Obama

http://dailycurrant.com/2012/11/06/g...y-votes-obama/
Old 7th November 2012, 16:15     #61
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon1
uneasy-collar-tug.gif
Old 7th November 2012, 16:21     #62
leadinjector

remember that the west coast is blue, while atm they are going through all the redneck states which go red. Romney losing Pennsylvania and Ohio will be the nail in the coffin if it happens, and it is looking that way so far. Florida recount again incoming...
Old 7th November 2012, 16:24     #63
sidbo
Raptus regaliter

Quote:
uneasy-collar-tug.gif

Relax!

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_md...80pso1_500.jpg
Old 7th November 2012, 16:29     #64
Spink

Quote:
I'm pretty sure Ab wasn't saying NYT is reputable for projections, just Nate Silver.
Old 7th November 2012, 16:31     #65
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by a-tech
Let's keep this thread about real news.

Quote:
The Daily Currant is an English language online satirical newspaper that covers global politics, business, technology, entertainment, science, health and media. It is accessible from over 190 countries worldwide - now including South Sudan.

Our mission is to ridicule the timid ignorance which obstructs our progress, and promote intelligence - which presses forward.

Q. Are your newstories real?

A. No. Our stories are purely fictional. However they are meant to address real-world issues through satire and often refer and link to real events happening in the world
Old 7th November 2012, 16:33     #66
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spink
I'm pretty sure Ab wasn't saying NYT is reputable for projections, just Nate Silver.
Yeah, pretty sure he sly-edited "projections" to be in italics.. (Nope )

But yes, not one and the same but "the people" were looking for results pages and that's linked on the 538 page.
Old 7th November 2012, 17:14     #67
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Those are results. Fivethirtyeight does projections. FWIW fivethirtyeight is forecasting an Obama win 313 to 225, so let's see how it pans out.
Old 7th November 2012, 17:19     #68
ZoSo

Poor Mike McRoberts. A Pakistani looking dude in a losing Romney camp.
Old 7th November 2012, 17:34     #69
Vrtigo
Marginal Poster

lmfao FR gold
Quote:
God is allowing our country to suffer, and He will bring a greater good from it.

and
Quote:
"My stomach is in such a knot especially hearing on FNC that women are breaking overwhelming for O."

Then they whine that their men (unable to get decent work) don’t want to marry/have kids. If Obama wins, I hope no white woman gets a marriage proposal until 2016.

Last edited by Vrtigo : 7th November 2012 at 17:35.
Old 7th November 2012, 17:45     #70
Spink

Youtube has livestreams of a few news networks, and a few shitty social media shitholes on its "main" page at the moment too. Yay for unlimited youtubes on snap

Watching AlJazeera via youtube personally.
Old 7th November 2012, 17:47     #71
Cyberbob

John Stewart has a live feed from 1pm (NZT)
Old 7th November 2012, 17:52     #72
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Hoo-boy, neck and neck in Florida - O 49.7 to R 49.5 with 92% reporting. That shit ain't gonna get decided this week.
Old 7th November 2012, 17:56     #73
A Corpse
talkative lurker

Watching the huffpost stream atm. Good info and bonus eyecandy.
Old 7th November 2012, 18:00     #74
Spink

Quote:
John Stewart has a live feed from 1pm (NZT)
John?
Old 7th November 2012, 18:00     #75
Cyberbob

:P

Jon
Old 7th November 2012, 18:06     #76
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Corpse
Watching the huffpost stream atm. Good info and bonus eyecandy.
Phwoar, she's cute.

a++ Would watch again.
Old 7th November 2012, 18:10     #77
Cyberbob

This just in: Apple Maps projects Obama to win Chile.
Old 7th November 2012, 18:13     #78
CCS
Stunt Pants

It's interesting how the news networks have slightly different electoral vote results. Are they using officially announced results or projections? Or a mix?

Anyway, Obama is currently on 244 to Romney's 200ish... looking good for Obama in the important swing states too.
Old 7th November 2012, 18:15     #79
ZoSo

Fox & NBC call Ohio for Obama.
Old 7th November 2012, 18:16     #80
Vrtigo
Marginal Poster

Talking

Quote:
GAME OVER! Time for Texas to secede.