Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 6th December 2011, 16:32     #1
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Union action, fuck yeah

Comin again to cost the motherfuckin jobs yeah!

Quote:
Ports of Auckland, in the midst of strike disruptions, will lose almost $20 million of annual revenue after Maersk, the biggest shipper visiting New Zealand, switched one of its services to Port of Tauranga.

The loss of Maersk's Southern Star container service amounts to 52 ship calls, or 82,500 containers a year, Ports of Auckland chief executive Tony Gibson said in a statement. The industrial action at Auckland played a part in the decision, Maersk's New Zealand marketing manager Dave Gulik said in a separate statement.

"The security of their supply chain is of primary importance to our customers, so anything affecting that, or likely to affect that in the future, will come into the equation when we are deciding schedules," Gulik said.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10771278
Old 6th December 2011, 16:48     #2
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

I'm no expert, but Port of Tauranga workes will also be unionised right? And presumably under an employer that offers good conditions, since they're not striking. Any jobs lost by the loss of business at PoA would in theory be offset by creation of jobs at PoT.

So basically PoT increases it's market share by treating it's workers better - win-win?
Old 6th December 2011, 16:51     #3
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Yeah, those poor Auckland workers were getting reamed.
Quote:
· Ports of Auckland wage and benefit packages for staff year ended 30 June 2011:

o Average wage for a full time stevedore at POAL was $91,480

o Average wage for a part time stevedore at POAL was $65,518

o 53% of full time stevedores (123 individuals) earned over $80,000

o 28% (43 individuals) earned over $100,000 with the highest earner making $122,000

· POAL provides:

o Southern Cross medical insurance for the employee and family

o Sick leave of up to 15 days per annum accumulating to 45 days over three years

o Fully paid in house training (no student loans required) to become a lasher, straddle and crane driver

o Five weeks annual leave for shift workers
Old 6th December 2011, 16:57     #4
cyc
Objection!

I have an easier translation.

Plenty of doctors in our hospitals earn less than most of these assholes. Many outstanding people with PhDs teaching in our universities earn less. Many aircraft pilots in charge of many lives at once earn way, way less.

Fuck these cunts.
Old 6th December 2011, 16:57     #5
Cyberbob

Raise minimum wage! Help the workers!
Old 6th December 2011, 17:12     #6
Juju
get to da choppa

But they have to work shifts! Won't somebody think of t....

oh wait.
Old 7th December 2011, 10:09     #7
spigalau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladin
I'm no expert, but Port of Tauranga workes will also be unionised right?
POT CEO was on radio this am, staff is 50% mix of union & non-union - but pretty much all are shareholders in company. ergo, it hurts them in the pocket if they tard it up.

iirc POT is something like 80% efficient, POA is 60%. Basically the staff are employed to do a job, but spend a lot of time not doing it.
Old 7th December 2011, 10:12     #8
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladin
I'm no expert, but Port of Tauranga workes will also be unionised right? And presumably under an employer that offers good conditions, since they're not striking. Any jobs lost by the loss of business at PoA would in theory be offset by creation of jobs at PoT.
Bit of a cunt of a drive to work however for PoA staff......

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 7th December 2011, 10:53     #9
chiquelet
Mrs Colin Farrell

Acid's reaction to Ab's numbers is that there'll be a shit-load of overtime involved in order to reach those high salaries. What we really need to see are the average number of hours worked per week - guaranteed that they're not earning 90k+ for a 40 hour week.
Old 7th December 2011, 11:46     #10
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

not questioning the accuracy, but genuinely interested to know the source of your info, Ab....

if accurate then that's criminally that they are asking for more.... ffs.
Old 7th December 2011, 11:48     #11
Spink

Seems like there's a bit of history in Dockworker strikes.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1951_Ne...rfront_dispute

lol Dockworkers earning 30% more than most New Zealanders refuse to work overtime, and then strike for 151 days after receiving a 9% pay raise when workers covered by the industrial arbitration system received a 15% pay raise.
Old 7th December 2011, 12:32     #12
Cinclant

Old 7th December 2011, 13:18     #13
plaz0r

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rince
not questioning the accuracy, but genuinely interested to know the source of your info, Ab....
I first saw those figures on David Farrar's blog, who was in turn quoting Cactus Kate. Don't know where she got the numbers.
Old 7th December 2011, 13:32     #14
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaz0r
I first saw those figures on David Farrar's blog, who was in turn quoting Cactus Kate. Don't know where she got the numbers.
....jesus.

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 7th December 2011, 13:41     #15
IoriDyson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinclant
haha nice
Old 7th December 2011, 22:04     #16
cyc
Objection!

Hey we haven't claimed caused enough damage to innocent people yet

http://www.stuff.co.nz/business/indu...-strike-notice

Union fucks issue third strike notice.

FUCK THESE CUNTS.
Old 7th December 2011, 23:53     #17
madmaxii

I've got a mate who owns a transport company. He's having to lay off far lower paid drivers because of these selfish pricks.
Old 8th December 2011, 08:10     #18
Jodi

Could someone please explain the unions view of all of this? Because its shit like this that this that fuels my seething hatred for unions.

My hatred for unions is annoying as in theory I want unions, yet in reality they only seem to fuck shit up and slow shit down.
Old 8th December 2011, 09:35     #19
fixed_truth

^^ Yeah it would be interesting to hear the unions side.

Militant/useless unions can diaf. Genuine ones have their place.

Still, I wonder if BOTH PoA and the union would have negotiated differently had they anticipated a loss of $20 million of annual revenue.
Old 8th December 2011, 13:35     #20
Cynos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Yeah, those poor Auckland workers were getting reamed.
What hours etc. do they work? Some context for your numbers would be good.
Old 4th January 2012, 13:50     #21
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Ports of Auckland has suffered a further blow today with the news that Fonterra, the country's largest exporter, is set to withdraw its export shipments from Auckland amid ongoing strike action at the port.
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/business/n...ectid=10776645

Note: losing the Maersk business cost POA $20 million a year. Losing Fonterra costs POA $27 millon A WEEK.

Go unions!
Old 4th January 2012, 16:20     #22
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Go unions!
I would be interested to know what the annual cost of the Union wages & condition increase was in relation to how much annual revenue Auckland Ports are losing because of the dispute etc.

Sure Unions need to not shoot themselves in the foot but the same goes for the CEO's handling of the dispute.
Old 4th January 2012, 16:27     #23
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
I would be interested to know what the annual cost of the Union wages & condition increase was in relation to how much annual revenue Auckland Ports are losing because of the dispute etc.
I think we can safely assume that whatever POA was offering, it would have cost less than 1.4 billion dollars a year. Which is what the strikes have cost so far.
Old 4th January 2012, 16:31     #24
CCS
Stunt Pants

Don't be silly, Simon. The POA CEO totally wants to ruin the company.
Old 4th January 2012, 16:35     #25
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Sorry, I forgot that CEOs are, by definition, amoral psychopaths who eat babies.
Old 4th January 2012, 16:48     #26
CCS
Stunt Pants

They also hate unions, poor people, etc.

Here's the big question: what the fuck is the major shareholder of POA doing? Thumbs up arse?
Old 4th January 2012, 17:04     #27
cyc
Objection!

The major shareholders of POA is, IIRC, the Auckland Council. A number of Auckland Councillors have, IIRC (again) put out releases supporting the fucking union cunts.
Old 4th January 2012, 17:11     #28
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I think we can safely assume that whatever POA was offering, it would have cost less than 1.4 billion dollars a year. Which is what the strikes have cost so far.
Yes, but was the difference between what POA was offering, and what the Union wanted, worth losing 1.4 billion dollars p.a.?
Old 4th January 2012, 17:36     #29
CCS
Stunt Pants

Put your thinking cap on. What do you suppose the answer is?
Old 4th January 2012, 17:42     #30
Fx.

more jobs for tauranga woop
Old 4th January 2012, 18:55     #31
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

There's no loss here is there? The work is going to a more efficient workforce who want to do the work - they're just down the road really.

Jobs for slackers are going to be taken away (through redundancy).

The only real loser here is the union who will see a reduction in their monthly takings.
Old 4th January 2012, 18:59     #32
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

I'm not so sure that I want to interpret that $27m of trade in the same way as is popular here too.
Old 4th January 2012, 19:02     #33
CCS
Stunt Pants

I'm thinking that any Aucklander also loses out here. Poor performing PoA is surely not good for the council, yeah? Less money for the council = rates increase or cutbacks somewhere else right?
Old 4th January 2012, 19:12     #34
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

In the near future the port will be more efficient and Aucklanders will be better off.

Some individual slackers will lose out too - but I've no pity for them.
Old 4th January 2012, 19:20     #35
CCS
Stunt Pants

I'm concerned about just how long it will take for the PoA to be more efficient. It'll take the Port to have the balls to get rid of the slackers and will probably challenged by Len and his gutless pinko cronies.
Old 4th January 2012, 19:23     #36
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Put your thinking cap on. What do you suppose the answer is?
Well I've mentioned a few times that the only info I have to go on is some out of context figures that are supposedly the Unions demands and a company that has lost 1.4 billion of yearly revenue which was apparently caused by this conflict.

I would think that the difference the POA held out for was not a lot compared to what they've lost from deciding to hold out. But maybe I'm wrong.

To me it seems that either the Union demanded more than was reasonable or the CEO allowed their to be an extended industrial dispute which resulted in POA losing two major contracts. Or maybe they both fucked up.

Last edited by fixed_truth : 4th January 2012 at 19:24.
Old 4th January 2012, 19:32     #37
CCS
Stunt Pants

You have it completely backwards. The PoA have made plenty of offers which the Union just keeps on rejecting. 10% pay increase? 20% on bonuses? Nah, not good enough. It's not the PoA that's holding out, it's the union.
Old 4th January 2012, 19:46     #38
fixed_truth

I'm not blaming either side yet, I'm pointing out that there's not a lot of impartial and definitive information to make a judgement on. i.e.,

Quote:
”It includes a generous 10 per cent rise on hourly rates, performance bonuses of up to 20 per cent on hourly rates, and the retention of existing benefits and entitlements in return for a new roster system that will provide increased operational flexibility while allowing workers to plan their rosters a month in advance,” Gibson said.
Was does the the new roster “flexibility” mean? What good is a pay rise if workers are getting rostered less? etc
Old 4th January 2012, 19:56     #39
chubby

there are plenty of earner groups who have had the same sort of increases over this time of financial turmoil.
why not aspire?
Old 5th January 2012, 06:54     #40
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
I'm not so sure that I want to interpret that $27m of trade in the same way as is popular here too.
From this morning's tabloid I see $100k per week is the right big-number in the calculation. Lets call it $3k max once expenses are paid.