Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 14th November 2011, 17:50     #1
Lightspeed

Tea party recording

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/electi...arty-recording

So this is... I dunno, kinda bizarre. I'd love to know what was said. This shit needs to get accidentally leaked like it was accidentally recorded.
Old 14th November 2011, 17:59     #2
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Fuck the fucking Herald on Sunday, I'm disgusted that this UK tabloid "anything to get eyeballs" shit has arrived in NZ.
Old 14th November 2011, 18:00     #3
ipee

Quote:
Police are coming to Mr Key's office at the Beehive to receive the complaint
Wtf! Get off your lazy ass and go to the police station like everyone else......cunt!
Old 14th November 2011, 18:42     #4
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
I'd love to know what was said.
Quote:
Herald on Sunday editor Bryce Johns says publishing the content of the conversation could be a game-changer in the election.

Mr Johns told Radio New Zealand's Morning Report programme on Monday what was said between Mr Key and Mr Banks is breath-taking and the content of the recording is very much in the public interest.
Breath-taking??? I would have assumed it was boring chit chat, especially with all the media there. I too would like to know what was so breath taking!
Old 14th November 2011, 18:49     #5
CCS
Stunt Pants

That sounds like horse shit to get readers.
Old 14th November 2011, 19:04     #6
Furry Crew

What a beat up from the herald.

They just interviewed the cameraman that did the 'accidental' recording on radio and he's pretty much contradicted what the herald said.

Should be interesting to see this played out. Watch out for the news tonight.

Old 14th November 2011, 19:15     #7
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furry Crew
They just interviewed the cameraman that did the 'accidental' recording on radio and he's pretty much contradicted what the herald said.
I read that the cameraman stated that he didn't listen to the full tape.

edit: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...ecret-tea-tape

Also from that article 'the prime minister's office had returned his microphone'. They must have listened to what was on it surely.

Last edited by fixed_truth : 14th November 2011 at 19:19.
Old 14th November 2011, 19:25     #8
xor

meh if there was anything decent in the recording then it would have been made public by now.
Old 14th November 2011, 19:27     #9
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
meh if there was anything decent in the recording then it would have been made public by now.
Secretly recording a private conversation between two individuals without their knowledge or consent is illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Also from that article 'the prime minister's office had returned his microphone'. They must have listened to what was on it surely.
Listened... to a microphone?
Old 14th November 2011, 19:35     #10
fixed_truth

I'm assuming it was a dictaphone?

edit: lol yeah sounds like an accident . . . . not

Last edited by fixed_truth : 14th November 2011 at 19:39.
Old 14th November 2011, 19:37     #11
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

It was a wireless lapel mic streaming to a camera. Which had to be powered on and recording.

BUT IT WAS AN ACCIDENT AU
Old 14th November 2011, 19:45     #12
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Secretly recording a private conversation between two individuals without their knowledge or consent is illegal.
Not denying that
Old 14th November 2011, 20:41     #13
chubby

Laugh

there's a real (and hilarious) fear from supporters of the right that their elected leaders unguarded moments might one day be exposed.
bill last time, now...
Old 14th November 2011, 21:02     #14
blynk

Even if there was nothing said, they have now made it seem like there was, and that people will start to wonder about ACT/National.

If anything was said, I bet it was that Key is going to help destroy Len Brown for beating Banks
Old 14th November 2011, 21:11     #15
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipee
Wtf! Get off your lazy ass and go to the police station like everyone else......cunt!
I think if there's one person in the country that can be lazy in this regard, it'd be the prime minister, eh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
Breath-taking??? I would have assumed it was boring chit chat, especially with all the media there. I too would like to know what was so breath taking!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
That sounds like horse shit to get readers.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I'd like to know what was on it too but privacy laws far outweigh my curiosity. Keep it private.
Old 14th November 2011, 21:12     #16
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Two seasoned politicians were having a cuppa with the NZ media an arm's length away. Does anyone seriously imagine anything remotely exciting was being talked about?

The Herald deserves everything coming to it. To try to make money from illegal activity (if that is what it is ultimately shown to be) is despicable.
Old 14th November 2011, 22:37     #17
ipee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon1
I think if there's one person in the country that can be lazy in this regard, it'd be the prime minister, eh?
lol You actually believe that don't you?
Old 15th November 2011, 01:00     #18
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

Quote:
Ah, so you have no respect for our country's leader - gotcha. Stay classy.
Old 15th November 2011, 09:46     #19
Juju
get to da choppa

So there's a random, unclaimed black bag sitting on a table right next to the countries leader.

Way to go DPS.

Last edited by Juju : 15th November 2011 at 09:47.
Old 15th November 2011, 10:02     #20
blynk

^^ haha so true.

Ok, so apparently it was about how long Brash was really going to be the leader of the ACT party.
Old 15th November 2011, 10:11     #21
dylan
Huh?

Quote:
In terms of taxpayer dollars it would be way more expensive (not to mention disruptive) for the prime minister to visit a station rather than a couple of cops turn up at his office.

You're just being annoying
Old 15th November 2011, 10:19     #22
aR Que

How it's going to play out:
PM will resist the 'leak' of the material, media will whip the chubbies of this world into a frenzy.
PM wil then release the material of his own free will, after a suitable length of time, to be the good guy.
Material will turn out to be a chat about suit tailors.

Would be full pro, if he set up the recording.
Old 15th November 2011, 10:53     #23
crocos

Quote:
[Bradley Ambrose] said if the prime minister's office had returned his microphone "no one would have heard about it".
Yah fucking right.

Also: The paranoid part of me thinks this may be a deliberate baiting by the PM & Banks to obtain more control over the media.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية

Last edited by crocos : 15th November 2011 at 10:56.
Old 15th November 2011, 10:55     #24
CCS
Stunt Pants

Sounds like blackmail!
Old 15th November 2011, 10:57     #25
Furry Crew

Soo....who's got odds than on Sunday the Herald will publish a transcript of the recording anyway and deal with it later?

2-1?
3-1?
Even?

Old 15th November 2011, 11:03     #26
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
The paranoid part of me thinks this may be a deliberate baiting by the PM & Banks to obtain more control over the media.
Paranoid part of you is probably right
Old 15th November 2011, 11:53     #27
aR Que

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furry Crew
Soo....who's got odds than on Sunday the Herald will publish a transcript of the recording anyway and deal with it later?

2-1?
3-1?
Even?
Only if it's something super juicy, like their wives favourite panties, otherwise Heralds 'big story' will be a story about how they can't tell the big story and how big the story is that they can't tell. The big story, that they totally have, that's big.

bunch of fucking homos.
Old 15th November 2011, 12:11     #28
Whiplash
Bobo Fettish

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Yah fucking right.

Also: The paranoid part of me thinks this may be a deliberate baiting by the PM & Banks to obtain more control over the media.
ILLUMINATUS!
Old 15th November 2011, 13:11     #29
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosWulf
Paranoid part of you is probably right
*sigh*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiplash
ILLUMINATUS!
Controlling a major population base near you, TODAY!

Old 15th November 2011, 13:13     #30
crocos

Sadly, this headline really sums this entire thing up (don't even need to read the article): http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...un-than-policy

Old 15th November 2011, 13:39     #31
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
It was a public photo-op with full media prescence, the recording device was placed during the initial public "look at us we're having a cuppa" segment - before the two Johns suddenly decided to kick everyone out of a cafe to have a "private" conversation.

Don't really see how this is much different from Sarkozy's recent gaffe about Israel's PM. Or Obama's "this off off the record right, Kanye is a jackass".
Old 15th November 2011, 13:40     #32
blynk

I would prefer this scandal be called Teabaggingate
Old 15th November 2011, 13:52     #33
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladin
It was a public photo-op with full media prescence, the recording device was placed during the initial public "look at us we're having a cuppa" segment - before the two Johns suddenly decided to kick everyone out of a cafe to have a "private" conversation.

Don't really see how this is much different from Sarkozy's recent gaffe about Israel's PM. Or Obama's "this off off the record right, Kanye is a jackass".
So... that makes it okay to copy the tape and shop it to a newspaper? Riiiight.
Old 15th November 2011, 14:08     #34
Macca@Work

..."much ado..about nothing.."
Old 15th November 2011, 17:53     #35
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
The cameraman responsible for the teacup tape is a former police constable who was suspended from the force while connections with a militia leader were investigated.

Bradley Ambrose, formerly known as Brad White, was investigated by police in 2000 for his connection with Kelvyn Alp, an ex-soldier who was reportedly trying to recruit a private army to oppose the government. Ambrose returned to police work after the investigation but subsequently left the force.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/5970...ns-police-past

This story keeps getting better and better.
Old 15th November 2011, 18:13     #36
CCS
Stunt Pants

Laugh

Beautiful!
Old 15th November 2011, 23:51     #37
ipee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon1
Ah, so you have no respect for our country's leader - gotcha. Stay classy.
Yes, like our police have nothing better to do than run around after the PM over an eavesdropping issue.

Don't get wrong, i respect the position of PM, but if heading to the station isn't a security threat, then there's absolutely no reason why he shouldn't.
Old 16th November 2011, 00:00     #38
ipee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan
In terms of taxpayer dollars it would be way more expensive (not to mention disruptive) for the prime minister to visit a station rather than a couple of cops turn up at his office.

You're just being annoying
Really? And how did you work that out?

So sitting in full public view having a cuppa with another politician is less disruptive for his security and the public than being driven to the police station and laying a complaint?

Now who's the annoying one...
Old 16th November 2011, 00:26     #39
ipee

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/politics/n...ectid=10766167

Quote:
He maintained the recording was "News of the World tactics", referring to the phone hacking undertaken by the British tabloid.

"I find quite abhorrent the actions of News of the World."

The News of the World was shut in August following the scandal, which including the hacking of the phone voice messages of Milly Dowler, who was abducted and killed in 2002.

When Ms Smalley said hacking into the phone of a dead girl was very different to the so-called "tea-tape", Mr Key interrupted "no it's not".

"No it's not - it's an illegal attempt to get information."
Oh no doubt they are both illegal Mr Key, but seriously? Comparing the taping of your little tea-cup discussion to the hacking of a dead girls phone that interfered with the subsequent murder investigation?
Old 16th November 2011, 07:47     #40
xor

Quote:
Now who's the annoying one...
You are