Old 24th April 2011, 00:57     #81
MrTTTT

logic and intuition
Old 24th April 2011, 01:30     #82
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Nothing you've ever said makes me think you particularly care about vulnerable citizens.
It's not uncommon for things that you believe to be untrue. This is just another example to add to the ever-so-long list.
Old 24th April 2011, 01:37     #83
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTTTT
logic and intuition
It is possible I suppose that you are as smart as Cyc. However, I don't recall ever seeing any post here that would lead anyone to suppose that you are. In fact you do an entirely convincing job of demonstrating there is not a chance this could be so.
Old 24th April 2011, 02:03     #84
MrTTTT

Talking

I dunno bro.
opinion of the nzgames geniouses vs the opinions of the best uni in the world.
I am quietly content with my smarts in political economy
Old 24th April 2011, 09:36     #85
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

If we were talking the New York school of the performing arts then I might be made curious enough to wonder whether years of portraying a particular type of person was in fact a well executed act; although I'd worry to what end and whether such an act were healthy.

Let me now share Teapot's guide to never ever being insulted:
1. Examine your shortcomings and establish what things you want to work on and what things you'll leave alone. Accept what you are and be proud.
2. When someone tells you something new about yourself that you had not hitherto realized then embrace this new knowledge and process it through #1. Share your thanks and make the other person feel good about themselves by letting them know you appreciate their broadening your horizons.
3. When someone tells you something that is not true then realize that this is a joke. Laugh with them or at them (they likely won't be able to tell which you are doing).

Now here you're firmly in category 1 and 2 at the moment in this thread. Take some time to let the cogs turn. Work on your introspection skills - they are critical here.

With practice you'll find you can react instantly and appropriately and you'll never again be trying to defend yourself when you're told something true that on the face of it you don't like.
Old 24th April 2011, 10:15     #86
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
It's not uncommon for things that you believe to be untrue. This is just another example to add to the ever-so-long list.
It is possible I suppose that you care about the vulnerable. However, I don't recall ever seeing any post here that would lead anyone to suppose that you do. In fact you do an entirely convincing job of demonstrating there is not a chance this could be so.
Old 24th April 2011, 10:41     #87
MrTTTT

Quote:
Essentially, MrTTTT is stupid
opinion of golden teapot vs opinion of nobel prize winner...

Last edited by MrTTTT : 24th April 2011 at 10:45.
Old 24th April 2011, 11:04     #88
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
It is possible I suppose that you care about the vulnerable.
Well I'm supporting a chap in Mongolia that sells clothes from a shack - he looks pretty vulnerable to me. And then there's the medical clinic in Togo, the farmer in Cambodia, and the liquor store in Sudan (well you'd drink too if you lived there right?). Actually the list is too long to keep going so lets not go there.

What about you? Tell you what - pass me your email address and I'll send you an invite to start practicing what you implicitly preach.
Old 24th April 2011, 11:20     #89
Lightspeed

Giving to the poor doesn't mean you care for the poor. For many the appearance of caring is much more important than those they claim to care for. Typically these people keep a list of good things handy to put on display any time their caring nature is challenged.

Giving to the poor makes it much easier to justify a lifestyle that keeps the poor in their place.
Old 24th April 2011, 12:23     #90
The Edge

!
Old 24th April 2011, 14:07     #91
CCS
Stunt Pants

Mr4T, we're still waiting for you to wow us with a demonstration of your intellect.
Old 24th April 2011, 15:26     #92
leadinjector

Quote:
Giving to the poor doesn't mean you care for the poor. For many the appearance of caring is much more important than those they claim to care for. Typically these people keep a list of good things handy to put on display any time their caring nature is challenged.

Giving to the poor makes it much easier to justify a lifestyle that keeps the poor in their place.
so what you're saying is, you dont give shit to the poor but complain about the people who are better off than you but do? meh fuck off.
Old 24th April 2011, 15:28     #93
CCS
Stunt Pants

Lolspeed offers the poor his brilliant counselling skills!
Old 24th April 2011, 15:39     #94
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
so what you're saying is, you dont give shit to the poor but complain about the people who are better off than you but do? meh fuck off.
That's what you heard, but not what I said. But I imagine you're more interested in maintaining your current view of me than hearing my viewpoint.
Old 24th April 2011, 18:28     #95
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

This is classic lightspeed. He's trying to admonish another for a crime he committed himself barely a post or two earlier.
Old 24th April 2011, 18:50     #96
The Edge

Quote:
That's what you heard, but not what I said. But I imagine you're more interested in maintaining your current view of me than hearing my viewpoint.
Shouldn't you have been at church at some point today? It is Sunday, right?
Old 24th April 2011, 19:23     #97
pxpx

Quote:
opinion of golden teapot vs opinion of nobel prize winner...
citation needed
Old 24th April 2011, 20:25     #98
Lightspeed

Quote:
This is classic lightspeed. He's trying to admonish another for a crime he committed himself barely a post or two earlier.
Well, please, help me understand why you think it's necessary to parade your charitable contributions? Personally any contributions to charity I might make is for the charity I donate to, not so that I might tell people about my good and caring nature.
Old 24th April 2011, 20:47     #99
verve_rat

Jesus. Fucking. H. Christ. He is telling you because you dared him to. Fuck you Lightspeed, if you really are that stupid, just fucking die.

Quote:
It is possible I suppose that you care about the vulnerable. However, I don't recall ever seeing any post here that would lead anyone to suppose that you do. In fact you do an entirely convincing job of demonstrating there is not a chance this could be so.
Quote:
Well I'm supporting a chap in Mongolia that sells clothes from a shack - he looks pretty vulnerable to me. And then there's the medical clinic in Togo, the farmer in Cambodia, and the liquor store in Sudan (well you'd drink too if you lived there right?). Actually the list is too long to keep going so lets not go there.

What about you? Tell you what - pass me your email address and I'll send you an invite to start practicing what you implicitly preach.
Old 24th April 2011, 21:14     #100
Lightspeed

No, I didn't. I did no such thing. I said that nothing GT has said makes me think that he cares for the vulnerable. That is still true. There are many reasons someone might support a cause. Caring for the vulnerable is only one of those reasons.

I support causes myself and I might tell people of these causes if the context suits. That context will never be to defend any supposed good and caring nature.
Old 24th April 2011, 21:17     #101
Lightspeed

Also, pay attention, that post of mine you quoted is actually a post GT's I edited.

Quote:
It is possible I suppose that you are as smart as Cyc. However, I don't recall ever seeing any post here that would lead anyone to suppose that you are. In fact you do an entirely convincing job of demonstrating there is not a chance this could be so.
Quote:

Last edited by Lightspeed : 24th April 2011 at 21:20.
Old 24th April 2011, 21:36     #102
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Well, please, help me understand...
I detect that you lack sincerity and so I'm going to decline your offer for me to help you.
Old 24th April 2011, 21:40     #103
Savage

Quote:
No, I didn't. I did no such thing. I said that nothing GT has said makes me think that he cares for the vulnerable. That is still true. There are many reasons someone might support a cause. Caring for the vulnerable is only one of those reasons.

I support causes myself and I might tell people of these causes if the context suits. That context will never be to defend any supposed good and caring nature.
You realize you've just done exactly the same thing as he did by claiming to "support causes", but slapped a bit of holier-than-thou on the top with your "I'd never do that to defend myself" piece?

It sounded quite matter of fact (like GT tends to be) to me, rather than trying to prove anything. Sorry man, you challenged him and he called you on it. Don't try to argue your way out now, just bow out gracefully for once. You don't have to win every argument, honest.
Old 24th April 2011, 21:59     #104
Lightspeed

What's matter of fact about calling me to practice what I preach? As if he knows what I do with my life?
Old 24th April 2011, 22:25     #105
CCS
Stunt Pants

Haha, the cop out lollercoaster just keeps lolling.
Old 24th April 2011, 22:39     #106
MrTTTT

muh

Quote:
Originally Posted by pxpx
citation needed
(Teapot, 2011, p.3)
Old 24th April 2011, 23:10     #107
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
It's interesting that MrTTTTT so relentlessly hassles those who are smarter than him. Inferiority complex?
TTTT is an obvious drug-affected emo loser dissatisfied with his lot in life and takes the view that everyone who's more rational and balanced than he is is some kind of fraud. Now because we are talking about a low baseline here, TTTT is basically obliged to hate the world.

When handling his own self-inflicted problems becomes too much, he relentlessly tries to "beat down" his imaginary enemies but becomes more and more frustrated by the process. Look at that idiot, all he ever posts are useless one-liners and retorts that anyone with half a brain cannot but chuckle at. Even someone as stupid as he is much know that they merely reinforce his utter impotence and earthworm-unworthy existence.

One has to feel sorry for him, really.

Edit: Holy shit, I just missed the reference to TTTT supposedly being told by a Nobel prize winner that he's SMART. The LOLs continue.

Last edited by cyc : 24th April 2011 at 23:15.
Old 24th April 2011, 23:16     #108
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
As if he knows what I do with my life?
Old 24th April 2011, 23:37     #109
cyc
Objection!

Quote:

This is yet another instance of your fradulent self at work. You said that nothing GT has said on here gave you the impression that he particularly cares about the vulnerable. Now he could either have ignored you -- in which case you would likely have thought of an unwillingness to engage with the intellectual fraud that's you to be some kind of victory -- or he could choose to respond. He chose the latter. It's not unreasonable to conclude, based on GT's posts on here, that he likes his money. Most people place a certain amount of value on their money. In view of these observations and his assertion that he supports a number of worthwhile causes, his point -- or what I understood his point to be -- was that you might not wish to assume too much about others. You're one of those people who relentlessly push that very line on here generally.

As someone who's posted on here for a while, I see nothing inappropriate about giving GT the benefit of the doubt in terms of (1) the claimed contributions having really been made and (2) the contributions having been made because he at least partially gave a stuff about the recipients. He's never been one to seek credit for lining up with the image of what makes a good person according to the average NZGer and his occupation leads me to suspect that he'd be capable of making the contributions claimed. But gosh don't ask Lightspeed to give someone the benefit of the doubt! IT WON'T HAPPEN WHEN IT DOESN'T SUIT!

YOU. ARE. A. FUCKING. HYPOCRITE. AND. A. FRAUD.

And so what if YOU don't like to speak about your charitable contributions? What the fuck does that have anything to do with whether GT or anyone else cares about others or not? Did you hellucinate that someone made you God? BTW, Peter Singer, one of the greatest ethicists in the world and someone who likely leads a far more ethically scrupoulous -- and almost certainly more intellectually consistent -- life that you can ever dream of, has made some very good arguments in favour of people actively discussing the amounts/nature of their charitable contributions. Go read The Life You Can Save, assuming you can get over your fantasy of knowing everything.
Old 25th April 2011, 00:09     #110
The Edge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
When handling his own self-inflicted problems becomes too much, he relentlessly tries to "beat down" his imaginary enemies but becomes more and more frustrated by the process.
http://forums.nzgames.com/showthread.php?t=73505
Old 25th April 2011, 00:29     #111
MrTTTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
TTTT is an obvious drug-affected emo loser dissatisfied with his lot in life and takes the view that everyone who's more rational and balanced than he is is some kind of fraud. Now because we are talking about a low baseline here, TTTT is basically obliged to hate the world.

When handling his own self-inflicted problems becomes too much, he relentlessly tries to "beat down" his imaginary enemies but becomes more and more frustrated by the process. Look at that idiot, all he ever posts are useless one-liners and retorts that anyone with half a brain cannot but chuckle at. Even someone as stupid as he is much know that they merely reinforce his utter impotence and earthworm-unworthy existence.

One has to feel sorry for him, really.

Edit: Holy shit, I just missed the reference to TTTT supposedly being told by a Nobel prize winner that he's SMART. The LOLs continue.
It's true I actually do clean toilets and I do a damn good job of it. But who are you to judge one's lot in life??
Old 25th April 2011, 00:32     #112
MrTTTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
earthworm-unworthy existence.
Big call that coming from a lawyer.
Old 25th April 2011, 00:42     #113
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
It's true I actually do clean toilets and I do a damn good job of it. But who are you to judge one's lot in life??
Look any job is a contribution to society. Your problem is your self-induced craziness that causes you to act like a dick to most people.
Old 25th April 2011, 00:45     #114
MrTTTT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
Look any job is a contribution to society. Your problem is your self-induced craziness that causes you to act like a dick to most people.
What self-induced craziness? People play World of Warcraft and pretend to be fucking orcs and elves. Why can't I pretend to be a successful intellect like my hero Derrida?
Old 25th April 2011, 09:58     #115
CCS
Stunt Pants

Rolling eyes

Quote:
herp derp lawyers are scum lawyers are scum herp derp namedrop a philosopher derp namedrop a philosopher herp derp!
Like a retarded parrot.
Old 25th April 2011, 10:33     #116
MrTTTT

Of my 3499 posts I have insulted lawyers 3 times and mentioned philosophers 5 times. I'm not sure that constitutes the trend you are claiming.
Old 25th April 2011, 11:44     #117
CCS
Stunt Pants

That's funny, because I count 9 times where you go on about lawyers, 6 times where you name-drop Derrida, 7 where you wank on about philosophy in general because you so desperately need people to know that it's a subject you're interested in. So that leaves 3477 posts where you're just a plain old penis.
Old 25th April 2011, 12:17     #118
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Damn fucking right.
Old 25th April 2011, 12:37     #119
CCS
Stunt Pants

Lol, okay. So you accuse others of not having compassion about vulnerable people (even if you were being so very clever by using their quote) and when that person calls your bluff and shows exactly how he does care for vulnerable people, you're all like "Ah no you don't care enough! You're just pretending! That's not the right sort of caring." Yes, the classic moving of the goal posts. And when Mr GT says "Well I've shown you how I care for the vulnerable, how 'bout you show me how you care about the vulnerable?" and you're all like "Hey I care! I support causes and stuff! YOU DON'T KNOW MY LIFE, BITCH!" Hahaha, classic fucking cop out.

You tried to show GT up and he called your bluff. Maybe you should do the honourable thing and give credit where credit is due? If you can't do that, stfu.
Old 25th April 2011, 15:00     #120
Lightspeed

Question

It's never really been clear to me exactly what it is you think I'm copping out of, even though it is your favourite go-to when criticising me.