Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 1st March 2010, 12:31     #41
Thomas Meatball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed_Quint
$35 for an album, piss off.
Don't you have the Warehouse in Whangers?
Old 1st March 2010, 12:40     #42
Reformed_Quint

We have the biggest in NZ or osmenthe.

I never go to the wharehouse. FUCK. THAT. SHIT. I hate massive retail stores.
Old 1st March 2010, 12:48     #43
Thomas Meatball

lol. Biggest Warehouse in NZ is in Whangarei? Ha, why am I not surprised!
Old 1st March 2010, 12:54     #44
Reformed_Quint

Porbably because Whangarei serves a large region of a lower income group and we also have cheap commercial/industrial land close to the city centre.

Oh wait sorry, Aucklanders. Yea, how about that whangarei, LOL!
Old 1st March 2010, 12:56     #45
Thomas Meatball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reformed_Quint
Porbably because Whangarei serves a large region of a lower income group and we also have cheap commercial/industrial land close to the city centre.
Yes. That was my joke.

Quote:
Oh wait sorry, Aucklanders. Yea, how about that whangarei, LOL!
LOL!
Old 1st March 2010, 13:42     #46
xpandnz

apparently the warehouse buys and sells their cds so cheap that they don't warrant being counted on the RIANZ charts.

those charts are based off retailers buying them rather then the people buying them.
Old 1st March 2010, 14:06     #47
Thomas Meatball

More university gained wisdom that I first read on nzgames! before I heard it from xpandarse that is.
Old 1st March 2010, 14:38     #48
Reformed_Quint

^^ I know the general thrust of the joke you are going for, but dude, it just doesn't read well.
Old 1st March 2010, 15:14     #49
Thomas Meatball

Are you talking about the Wangers joke or the xpandez joke? Either way, I think you're just being a Mr Sourpuss. Turn that frown upside-down, Quinty!
Old 1st March 2010, 15:17     #50
Reformed_Quint

The xpandeznzer joke.

But duely noted.
Old 1st March 2010, 15:38     #51
Thomas Meatball

Oh. Oh. It doesn't read well? It may not be my best zinger of all time, but it doesn't read well? Coming from you... I'm not so concerned.
Old 1st March 2010, 15:40     #52
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas Meatball
Coming from you... I'm not so concerned.
Oh man, I really thought that this relationship was progressing, but these outbursts do nothing but hurt our future social interactions.
Old 1st March 2010, 15:53     #53
xpandnz

Quote:
More university gained wisdom that I first read on nzgames! before I heard it from xpandarse that is.
fuck you are so cool bro!!!!!!

Last edited by xpandnz : 1st March 2010 at 15:58.
Old 1st March 2010, 15:54     #54
Reformed_Quint

Cunning linguist

You're.

Guess they didn't teach that at uni eh?
Old 1st March 2010, 15:56     #55
xpandnz

fixed

Last edited by xpandnz : 1st March 2010 at 15:58.
Old 1st March 2010, 15:59     #56
Biff

You know why they call him meatball don't ya?

Old 1st March 2010, 16:00     #57
xpandnz

actual lol.
Old 1st March 2010, 16:01     #58
^BITES^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff
You know why they call him meatball don't ya?

Least we know why they don't call you "funny"

()_) ()_)--o-)_)
Old 1st March 2010, 16:04     #59
xpandnz

change thread title to 'show down on nzgames'

i just want to talk about what the topic on hand and not this fling crap back and forth to each other.
Old 1st March 2010, 16:05     #60
Thomas Meatball

Aww, all the precious petals I make fun of are having a group weep right here.
Old 1st March 2010, 16:07     #61
xpandnz

i dont know whether or not to take you seriously.

to be honest, i actually like a lot of what you post. but at the same time you can be a real cock. but i guess its on my part whether i take it to heart or not.
Old 1st March 2010, 16:08     #62
Thomas Meatball

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpandnz
i just want to talk about what the topic on hand
Maybe that could happen if you had some intelligent insight rather than "I blame kazaa and limewire!" and "I learnt at uni that recording artists don't make all that much from online sales!"

Quote:
to be honest, i actually like a lot of what you post. but at the same time you can be a real cock.
You only think I'm a cock when you're on a the receiving end.
Old 1st March 2010, 16:11     #63
xpandnz

its just using a few facts in turn with what I have learned from being a musician and seeing a lot of friends download shit.

i can use stuff i learned from uni in posts. nothing wrong with it
Old 1st March 2010, 16:25     #64
Thomas Meatball

Quote:
its just using a few facts in turn with what I have learned from being a musician and seeing a lot of friends download shit.
Really? You saw some mates using kazaa and limewire and you were all like "Of all P2P services, those are the ones I blame!" You could at least have tried to sound oldschool by saing "I blame Napster!" but that would only be slightly less ridiculous. What you really mean to say is "Advancing technology makes it easier to pirate music!" which, let's face it, is a pretty fucking obvious statement.

Quote:
i can use stuff i learned from uni in posts. nothing wrong with it
The problem with that is it's common knowledge which any idiot could read. What uni did you go to anyway? How much money did they take from you?
I could quote wikipedia or I could be like chubby and just quote blogs, but it's not really advancing the conversation. It's just regurgitation.
What would be really cool would be if you had something intelligent to say about the Copyright (Infringing File Sharing) Amendment Bill.

Oh yeah, my favourite xpandnzzzz moment was this:
Quote:
After studying Popular Music at Uni last year, it was interesting to see how there are Four Major Labels now which then branch off with other label names: sort of like Restaurant Brands using KFC, Starbucks and Pizza Hut as brands.
DERP! Major labels own subsidiary labels! DERP!

Well fuck me sideways with a spoon!
Old 1st March 2010, 16:30     #65
StN
I have detailed files

o_O

Quote:
Well fuck me sideways with a spoon!
Hmm - whenever I've used that expression, I've said Fishfork.

You know, one of those forks with an extra fat tyne for flaking the meat. Sort of like a fork with one of those giant shoes, but just on one foot. A gimp fork, if you will.

Maybe I should use "Well fuck me sideways with a gimp fork!" from now on.
Old 1st March 2010, 16:32     #66
Reformed_Quint

^^^ I have no idea what that dude just said.
Old 1st March 2010, 16:50     #67
Biff

Quote:
Aww, all the precious petals I make fun of are having a group weep right here.
I hate to inform you, but they are happy tears.
Old 1st March 2010, 17:04     #68
xpandnz

i would have used Napster but its redundant and the most problems i saw of came from limewire.

but isnt it chit meatball to see all these smaller labels getting eaten up by bigger ones so that when people go and check which label it was put out on they go, oh sweet, a label other than a big one, only to find out that it had been bought out by some greedy musician who doesn't even understand music
Old 1st March 2010, 17:08     #69
Reformed_Quint

Quote:
musician who doesn't even understand music
Lol.
Old 1st March 2010, 17:27     #70
Thomas Meatball

Quote:
i would have used Napster but its redundant and the most problems i saw of came from limewire.
Expound.

Quote:
but isnt it chit meatball to see all these smaller labels getting eaten up by bigger ones so that when people go and check which label it was put out on they go, oh sweet, a label other than a big one, only to find out that it had been bought out by some greedy musician who doesn't even understand music
Not really. You could be just as pissed off at the people who started the indie labels and cashed out when they got an offer from a big label. Besides, I've never put any stock in music labels, I've never looked at a band and said "Oh cool, they're signed to BallFruits label!", I've never concerned myself with whether it's a major or indie label... I've never really given half a shit at best. To me, the label is essentially meaningless. It'll be some fat jew fuck grabbing all the cash anyway and it doesn't really influence my taste in music or my decision to buy XYZ bands albums.
Old 1st March 2010, 17:29     #71
?>Superman

Quote:
i dont know whether or not to take you seriously.

to be honest, i actually like a lot of what you post. but at the same time you can be a real cock. but i guess its on my part whether i take it to heart or not.
Old 1st March 2010, 17:46     #72
xpandnz

the big labels now choose what they want to put out there and if you are in the business to make money then you need a good return on your investment. So less and less are we seeing any bands that break out of that 3 min radio single, sexy hot babes or good looking guys, fast cars and blah blah blah shit. we are seeing a product that can be sold on the basis of making money alone. You look at all the writing credits for a lot of the artists in the top forty and they are not written by the artists them selves.

i didnt learn this from uni, i been interested in music since i was very young.
Old 1st March 2010, 17:50     #73
Biff

Old 1st March 2010, 17:53     #74
StN
I have detailed files

That's all well and good, but I expected that when I highlighted it, there would be some pixel dithering of a CCS greasy cock pic.
Old 1st March 2010, 18:25     #75
Thomas Meatball

Quote:
the big labels now choose what they want to put out there and if you are in the business to make money then you need a good return on your investment. So less and less are we seeing any bands that break out of that 3 min radio single, sexy hot babes or good looking guys, fast cars and blah blah blah shit. we are seeing a product that can be sold on the basis of making money alone. You look at all the writing credits for a lot of the artists in the top forty and they are not written by the artists them selves.
Yeah? No shit. In fact, it's been that way for a very long time. If anything has changed, it's the degree of shamelessness of the labels.

But you still haven't expounded on this:
Quote:
Old 1st March 2010, 18:42     #76
xpandnz

Napster was good for music sharing only. Back when I used to use it you could always seem to get some sort of quality. Then it got flooded with fakes and crap and then Metallica got involved and as such made the media about this Napster.

But they did eventually go legit if I am thinking right. You paid to download music or something.

But Limewire and Kazaa was more then music. You had movies and applications and most of it was fake garbage. You could sift through the crap to get good quality but most the people who were using it were complaining of viruses and stuff.

Hence I said Napster is redundant. Its done its business but Limewire and Kazaa became far more popular and dangerous
Old 1st March 2010, 18:47     #77
Warrick
Awesome Ring Master

This thread is so awesome. I wish we had more threads like it.
Old 1st March 2010, 19:15     #78
Lightspeed

I can't wait to see what supplants BitTorrent. I reckon there's still got to be plenty of brilliant ideas out there that will make free sharing of content more ubiquitous and more difficult to track or control.

I think it's abhorrent that the sharing of one's culture is something to be controlled and made a profit out of. And you'd be hard pressed to convince me that music, media, games or literature are not intrinsically part of our culture and thus something only some people are allowed to access. If they have the money.

Not that this is my only reason for supporting file sharing or opposing so-called copyrighting.
Old 1st March 2010, 19:57     #79
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Cultural observations aside, if a piece of information can be encoded as ones and zeros it can be copied and shared, and there's nothing you can do about it. It seems that most media organisations just can't get their heads around the "NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT" bit. It's like they don't understand the words.
Old 1st March 2010, 20:32     #80
xpandnz

its more that they want to make money off doing so. Lightspeed makes a good point:

Quote:
I think it's abhorrent that the sharing of one's culture is something to be controlled and made a profit out of. And you'd be hard pressed to convince me that music, media, games or literature are not intrinsically part of our culture and thus something only some people are allowed to access. If they have the money.
not all of us have the money and arts to some people is like air or water: they require it to live ( not literally of course).

But Ben Harper said that he doesn't care if people download his music because he wants his music to be heard. Thats a real cool thing to say.