NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 23rd November 2007, 20:32     #121
Sp0nge

modern parliament is not about lawyers

its about our elected representatives from different walks of life reflecting some of the views of our diverse peoples, and eventually coming up with acts which reflect the views of these voters.

thats why we have multiple readings of the bill, people able to make submissions, some of which are implemented, etc

i'd much rather see this current approach,
where all sorts of people have all sorts of views,
where the public are actually getting involved in the system,
even if its just by ringing talkback or going on a protest...
people are actually thinking about the system and taking part in it

imo, thats a healthy democracy at work
fuck lawyers
Old 23rd November 2007, 20:52     #122
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

GENIOUS_AT_WORK.JPG
Old 23rd November 2007, 21:22     #123
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy
of course, im an idealist looking for utopia. but why cant we have it?
Because there is no "we" looking for what you want; I've not read the rest of your bost btw, but whatever you're after you can be sure most other people aren't.
Old 23rd November 2007, 21:36     #124
IoriDyson

wow gt you sound like a prick... good job
Old 23rd November 2007, 22:11     #125
chubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golden Teapot
Because there is no "we" looking for what you want; I've not read the rest of your bost btw, but whatever you're after you can be sure most other people aren't.
you should read the rest- it made a lot of sense.
Old 23rd November 2007, 23:17     #126
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubby
you should read the rest- it made a lot of sense.
Oh I did; I was simply noting that there are such wild differences between what people want/expect (and paritcularly if you stratify by age) that it's rarely justified to claim "we".
Old 23rd November 2007, 23:52     #127
Know me.

I know what utopia is.
Old 24th November 2007, 00:12     #128
chubby

i think that most people would like a direct input to govt process/decisions.
and for the rest there's californication/coro st.
Old 24th November 2007, 13:39     #129
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
i think that most people would like a direct input to govt process/decisions.
And therein lies the problem -- most people are FUCKING RETARDED. I don't want to live in a society with direct input from most people.
Old 24th November 2007, 13:51     #130
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
And therein lies the problem -- most people are FUCKING RETARDED. I don't want to live in a society with direct input from most people.
QFMFT

Sure there needs to be a format for people to express their opinions but why should (for example) the minister of finance take the advice of a supermarket stacker on fiscal expenditure (assuming that their roles reflect their respective levels of knowledge and expertise in the matter)?

If we do want to have a system where everyone can have a say directly on matters of governance then we need to increase the base level of education of the population very significantly (to understate it).

Pixie
Old 24th November 2007, 14:38     #131
Hannibal

How about a system of I.Q. weighted voting? This then factors into the overall outcome of government. The HRC would have a field day over that though.
Old 24th November 2007, 14:46     #132
Draco T Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal
How about a system of I.Q. weighted voting? This then factors into the overall outcome of government. The HRC would have a field day over that though.
I.Q. doesn't really mean much when it's knowledge that you need to be able to vote effectively. It is because of this need of knowledge that I say that to be able to vote people need to pass some reasonably basic tests on economics, philosophy, foreign relations and law. I'm pretty sure the HRC would have a screaming hissy fit over that as well.
Old 24th November 2007, 15:12     #133
SpaceCowboy
Here be dragons

also i must point out that some of the smartest people out there are greedy, selfish, and out to benefit themselves only. IQ is no basis for how much your vote counts. however, we _should_ be taught in schools why voting is important, why we should care, and whats at stake.
Old 24th November 2007, 17:42     #134
armourking

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceCowboy
also i must point out that some of the smartest people out there are greedy, selfish, and out to benefit themselves only. IQ is no basis for how much your vote counts. however, we _should_ be taught in schools why voting is important, why we should care, and whats at stake.

Service Guarantees Citizenship
Old 24th November 2007, 18:31     #135
cyc
Objection!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco T Bastard
I.Q. doesn't really mean much when it's knowledge that you need to be able to vote effectively. It is because of this need of knowledge that I say that to be able to vote people need to pass some reasonably basic tests on economics, philosophy, foreign relations and law. I'm pretty sure the HRC would have a screaming hissy fit over that as well.
I hate to state the obvious, Draco: i there were such tests, I don't like your chances of passing the law and economics components in particular.
Old 24th November 2007, 20:46     #136
Draco T Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
I hate to state the obvious, Draco: i there were such tests, I don't like your chances of passing the law and economics components in particular.
Actually - I do very well with my economics exams
Old 24th November 2007, 20:58     #137
chubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
i hear the truth in what your saying- but seriously, if thats what you think- stop getting so bunched up about this 'democracy' thing. its not a fucking trademark, or like whats happened to the word 'alternative' in music- transformed into a genre label that only requires the word itself in big enough letters to qualify.
Old 24th November 2007, 21:00     #138
chubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal
and where's GT with his -"what about property ownership or gender-based system?"
Old 25th November 2007, 02:12     #139
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
i hear the truth in what your saying- but seriously, if thats what you think- stop getting so bunched up about this 'democracy' thing. its not a fucking trademark, or like whats happened to the word 'alternative' in music- transformed into a genre label that only requires the word itself in big enough letters to qualify.
Could you please repeat the question?
Old 25th November 2007, 07:32     #140
chubby

no question- just observing that your vested interests are showing.
(the direction, if not the specifics)
Old 25th November 2007, 14:45     #141
funnel web

Good speech by Bill

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TexP6VACeCM
Old 25th November 2007, 15:24     #142
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
your vested interests are showing
And those vested interests are...?
Old 25th November 2007, 15:47     #143
cyc
Objection!

Well, doh, you aren't gleefully smiling as you are subject to a good dose of anti free-speech, rights infringing bukkake from your Labour Party overloads and aren't slurping up all the cum as though your life depended on it. CLEARLY YOU HAVE A VESTED INTEREST! PLEASE FUCK OFF WITH YOUR VESTED INTEREST!

In the puerile little world of sheep like Chubby, if you don't support Aunty Helen unquestioningly, you're a horrible right-wing conspirator. When Lenin coined the term "useful idiots", he certainly wasn't quite thinking of people like Chubby. But in the 21st century NZ, guys like him are certainly the "useful idiots" of the Labour Party and are also doing a damn fine job of undermining of any sort of genuine, useful, and intelligent social liberalism.
Old 25th November 2007, 16:30     #144
chubby

nah matey, i wouldnt vote for those centrist bastards even to keep national out.
Old 25th November 2007, 16:35     #145
cyc
Objection!

You might not vote Labour but you either support a party that will just blindly side with Labour in any of its perceived battles against the evil right, all other consequences be damned or will yourself defend any stupid policy from Labour whenever you perceive this as "sticking it" to the right. Still a useful idiot.

Honestly, this world has a lot more going on than just sticking it to one's enemies.
Old 25th November 2007, 19:04     #146
Draco T Bastard

After reading this bill I'm becoming concerned with it as well. I still support what it's trying to achieve but in it's present state it needs to go back to the drawing board.
Old 25th November 2007, 20:40     #147
chubby

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
Honestly, this world has a lot more going on than just sticking it to one's enemies.
i couldnt agree more-
and seeing as i have to choose between a pack of bastards who'll tilt the playingfield to benefit the bottom 80%,or bastards who'll tilt it to benefit the top 20%- the choice seems obvious.
im old enough to have voted through national and labour govts- and if there's one thing i know its that all theclever billboards and weasel words from cunts like john key mean NOTHING.
im not really interested in your legal fine points or "free speech", however legislation is written either side can find legal types to slime through the cracks. at least itll be another holiday overseas for you or your mates right? youll survive.

(oh yeah ANTI-DEMOCRATIC ANTI-DEMOCRATIC ANTI-DEMOCRATIC)
Old 25th November 2007, 21:22     #148
cyc
Objection!

It's quite funny how bozos like you think that everyone is driven purely by nasty, narcissistic self-interest in opposing this rubbish Bill. The first thing to note is that whether this bloody Bill passes or not makes no material difference to me, since the area of law that I work involves no dealings with the government whatsoever.

And since I am well educated, have skills that are in high demand, and actually don't believe in the concept of patriotism, should/when NZ go under, I'll just buy a one way ticket out of this place and continue to enjoy a decent life elsewhere, while laughing at idiots like you. I object to this Bill purely as a matter of principle (it's that "undemocratic" thing that you were jabbering on about) but I don't expect that you'd understand this either.
Old 25th November 2007, 21:23     #149
chubby

nice homepage by the way.
Quote:
And since I am well educated, have skills that are in high demand, and actually don't believe in the concept of patriotism, should/when NZ go under, I'll just buy a one way ticket out of this place and continue to enjoy a decent life elsewhere, while laughing at idiots like you.
so nice that you care.

Last edited by chubby : 25th November 2007 at 21:26.
Old 26th November 2007, 18:58     #150
Sp0nge

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyc
You might not vote Labour but you either support a party that will just blindly side with Labour in any of its perceived battles against the evil right...
lol, labour has been in power for 3 terms, and you still havent left the country?!?

that explains why you're an angry little man:
youve soaked up labour's colour
and its coloured you red with anger
Old 26th November 2007, 19:08     #151
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Draco T Bastard
After reading this bill I'm becoming concerned with it
So the thing that has changed is that you have actually read it now?
Old 26th November 2007, 19:10     #152
Golden Teapot
Love, Actuary

Quote:
and where's GT with his -"what about property ownership or gender-based system?"
And there was me thinking that I was simply pointing out just how silly another's idea was. A translation for the less capable readers back then would have been "that's a really dumb idea"; has my sharing this helped you understand?
Old 26th November 2007, 20:27     #153
chubby

yes,thanks.
i read so much cynical/devils advocate kind've stuff here-i can no longer tell the difference.
Old 27th November 2007, 17:30     #154
chubby

http://www.publicaddress.net/default,4625.sm#post
Old 2nd December 2007, 04:41     #155
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

I gotta feel sorry for the anti-bill people

Quote:
Family Party leader Richard Lewis, who joined today's march, said the bill undermined freedom of speech and expression in any given election year, "which strikes at the heart of New Zealand's democratic process of election".
Support from someone whose entire political platform stems from denying people free speech, in the form of freedom of religion.. With friends like these, who needs enemies?

Though I guess anti-labour people feel the same whenever the Greens sign on for anything..
Old 2nd December 2007, 14:48     #156
Juha

Let people spend what they want. 12% of NZers pay 55% of the tax take. If they feel like spending it on political means, then let em. When you've got Unionists and Labour decrying the wealthy and high income earners, and yet expecting them to prop up the rest of the country come budget-day, something is really really wrong. Labour is trying to have their cake and eat it too.
Old 2nd December 2007, 15:12     #157
JP

So rich people should have more say in democracy? No.

Poor rich people, they have it so hard. With all those privileges and luxuries. It's such a shame society makes it so hard for them. Oh wait.

Also, considering how much tax they avoid paying, I have no sympathy for them.

Wealthy people get more luxuries, and that's all they should get. They get far more privileges than they should as it stands, with regards to law, health, education etc.

Last edited by JP : 2nd December 2007 at 15:14.
Old 2nd December 2007, 16:05     #158
exo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP
So rich people should have more say in democracy? No.

Poor rich people, they have it so hard. With all those privileges and luxuries. It's such a shame society makes it so hard for them. Oh wait.

Also, considering how much tax they avoid paying, I have no sympathy for them.

Wealthy people get more luxuries, and that's all they should get. They get far more privileges than they should as it stands, with regards to law, health, education etc.
People don't start off wealthy, they go to normal schools and make it further due to more effort and higher learning capacity. The money/wealth comes after, when of course smarter people can be more productive and take on higher paying responsibility's.
If the poor people could do the jobs that get paid more, they wouldn't be so poor.
Old 2nd December 2007, 18:04     #159
Draco T Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by exo
People don't start off wealthy, they go to normal schools and make it further due to more effort and higher learning capacity. The money/wealth comes after, when of course smarter people can be more productive and take on higher paying responsibility's.
If the poor people could do the jobs that get paid more, they wouldn't be so poor.
It's not that simple and the largest share of the wealth created in NZ goes to people who don't work and who aren't on benefits.

I know how to make it almost as simple as you think it is though - a 100% death tax.
Old 2nd December 2007, 18:14     #160
Rince
SLUTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saladin
I gotta feel sorry for the anti-bill people

Support from someone whose entire political platform stems from denying people free speech, in the form of freedom of religion.. With friends like these, who needs enemies?

Though I guess anti-labour people feel the same whenever the Greens sign on for anything..
I think I said this on the first page - so conflicted!