Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 22nd January 2014, 21:07     #1
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Pre-election 2014 thread

Right now, 22 Jan, Labour+Green > National. That's just a primary vote comparison, not "Seats in the House".
Old 22nd January 2014, 22:17     #2
ilk

Huh I'm surprised but gladdened by the lack of Colin Craig
Old 22nd January 2014, 22:37     #3
fixed_truth

National Party 43.5% (down 1.5%)
Labour Party 33.5% (up 3%)
Green Party 12.5% (down 2%)
NZF 4% (down 1%)
Conservative 2.5% (up 0.5%)
Maori Party 2% (up 0.5%)
United Future 0.5% (up 0.5%)
Mana Party 0.5% (down 0.5%)
ACT NZ 0% (unchanged).
Others 1% (up 0.5%)

Last edited by fixed_truth : 22nd January 2014 at 22:40.
Old 24th February 2014, 01:51     #4
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

new Colmar Brunton out tonight:

Party Support

National 51.0% (+6.0%)
Labour 34.0% (nc)
Green 8.0% (-5.0%)
ACT 0.4% (-0.1%)
Maori 0.9% (-0.5%)
United Future 0.3% (+0.2%)
Mana 0.0% (-0.3%)
NZ First 3.1% (-0.8%)
Conservative 1.3% (-0.3%)
Projected Seats

National 64
Labour 44
Green 11
ACT 1
Maori 3
United Future 1
Mana 1
NZ First 0
Conservative 0
Total 125
This is based on no change in electorate seats.

Coalition Options

CR – National 64 + ACT 1 + United Future 1 = 66/125 – three more than minimum needed to govern
CL – Labour 44 + Greens 11 + Mana 1= 56/125 – seven fewer than minimum needed to govern
C – Maori 3 + NZ First 0 = 3/125
On this poll there would be a centre-right Government.

Preferred PM

John Key 43% (+1.0%)
David Cunliffe 10% (-2.0%)
Winston Peters 4% (nc)
Old 24th February 2014, 02:20     #5
Charismo'

not that I'm following it that closely, but it seems like there's a real drought of serious competitors. I don't like John Key but it doesn't seem there is anybody else to choose from. I mean, Winston Peters? hell no.

Don't know much about Cunliffe. I see he raised questions about the Huawei mess with all the contracts in NZ for the ultrafast broadband stuff which I quite like the sound of.

I hate the way John Key is a US lackey in terms of security/data sharing etc. Really hate that.
Old 24th February 2014, 09:44     #6
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Preferred PM

John Key 43% (+1.0%)
David Cunliffe 10% (-2.0%)
Winston Peters 4% (nc)
10%.. wow.

Hey Charismo, why do you disagree with data-sharing with the US? They are one of our allies? Would you rather we not be allied with the US? Are you a terrorist? (nb: last question was facetious)
Old 24th February 2014, 14:15     #7
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Long way out from the election, anything can happen. But 40% of the Green vote disappearing in one hit has got to be a worry.
Old 24th February 2014, 15:31     #8
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Long way out from the election, anything can happen. But 40% of the Green vote disappearing in one hit has got to be a worry.
Nats up 6%, Greens down 5%, Lab no change... the bald numbers kinda suggest the Nats increase is in large part due to Greens moving over to Nat. If so... LOOOOOL!
Old 24th February 2014, 15:33     #9
spigalau

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCS
Nats up 6%, Greens down 5%, Lab no change... the bald numbers kinda suggest the Nats increase is in large part due to Greens moving over to Nat. If so... LOOOOOL!
More likely the Green vote went over to Labour, and Labour both shed & gained 5%.
Old 24th February 2014, 15:37     #10
CCS
Stunt Pants

Ah well, that would still mean that somewhere in the region of 5% went from Lab to Nat. Which is still pretty lolish.
Old 24th February 2014, 16:26     #11
Lightspeed

Polls, lolz.
Old 24th February 2014, 16:38     #12
CCS
Stunt Pants

Old 24th February 2014, 17:49     #13
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Old 24th February 2014, 19:10     #14
?>Superman

^lol
Old 25th February 2014, 15:42     #15
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
Polls, lolz.
I think there is an underlying trend in the past month but yeah, this poll does seem a bit whack.
Old 25th February 2014, 15:54     #16
spigalau

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
I think there is an underlying trend in the past month but yeah, this poll does seem a bit whack.
Perhaps the general public has finally figured out that the Greens aren't the Greens of old (Rob & Jeanette) and are now a bunch of fruit loops & whackos ?

Old 25th February 2014, 16:43     #17
fixed_truth

Seems a bit of an illogical explanation to me and I've not come across it from any political commentator yet. But yeah, who knows. Maybe they magically did have a change of heart!
Old 25th February 2014, 16:50     #18
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by spigalau
Perhaps the general public has finally figured out that the Greens aren't the Greens of old (Rob & Jeanette) and are now a bunch of fruit loops & whackos ?
The Greens of old are fruit loops and whackos too, just a different kind.
Old 26th February 2014, 12:38     #19
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Oh lol, if this is true then time to start investing in popcorn futures.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/poli...-staff-sources

Quote:
Labour sources have this morning confirmed former Alliance president Matt McCarten will be party leader David Cunliffe's new chief of staff.
Old 26th February 2014, 14:48     #20
CCS
Stunt Pants

wtf?!

Also, did McCarten's Unite Union ever pay their tax bill?
Old 26th February 2014, 15:58     #21
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I don't think so. Which means every single Labour punchline about "getting corporations to pay their fair share of tax" just went out the window.

Seriously, when I first saw the headline I thought it was a joke. This is insane.

...if it's the 2014 election Cunliffe is trying to win....
Old 26th February 2014, 17:06     #22
CCS
Stunt Pants

like a house on fire

Old 26th February 2014, 17:12     #23
pxpx

Is this real life?
Old 26th February 2014, 17:28     #24
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
The original Ponsonby cafe interview venue was changed because the subject didn't want his potential blue collar supporters to think he was some latte-sipping w***** swanning around Auckland's liberal ghetto. The fact he lives a stone's throw from Ponsonby Rd (miles away from his New Lynn electorate) reveals more.

Cunliffe's angst with his interviewer about where he should be photographed was plain narcissism. Not at the beach as he could be lampooned as if his career were drowning; not on a lawn or he could described as a snake in the grass.

A satire scriptwriter high on cocaine couldn't make this stuff up.
THAT'S SOME CHEMISTRY THERE ALL RIGHT
Old 26th February 2014, 17:36     #25
fixed_truth

I don't always agree with what McCarten has to say and there's the chance his leftwingedness might scare some middle swingers. But, if anyone can motivate and organise the massive block non-voters (800000?), it's McCarten.
Old 26th February 2014, 17:37     #26
Lightspeed

Who?
Old 26th February 2014, 17:42     #27
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
I don't always agree with what McCarten has to say and there's the chance his leftwingedness might scare some middle swingers. But, if anyone can motivate and organise the massive block non-voters (800000?), it's McCarten.
And you reason for saying that is...? I can't think of anything McCarten's ever been involved with that hasn't turned to shit.
Old 26th February 2014, 20:11     #28
StN
I have detailed files

What about his elocution lessons? Oh...

Last edited by StN : 26th February 2014 at 20:12.
Old 26th February 2014, 20:42     #29
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
And you reason for saying that is...? I can't think of anything McCarten's ever been involved with that hasn't turned to shit.
OTTOMH he got some good results with Unite, also he has a lot of political experience including involvement with both Maori party and Mana so probably has a lot of useful campaigning contacts on the left.
Old 26th February 2014, 21:44     #30
CCS
Stunt Pants

Yeah, he had some really good results with Unite. He did a bang up job of not paying tax.

I'm not sure what it is that he actually achieved for the Mana party. I'm not sure how much of Maori party's success was down to McCarten. Maybe his expertise is more suited to fledgling new parties rather than long established parties like Labour?
Old 27th February 2014, 07:42     #31
StN
I have detailed files

Act - going for the inbreeder vote?
Old 27th February 2014, 10:49     #32
spigalau

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
Would that the be the existing Green block ?
Old 27th February 2014, 10:57     #33
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by spigalau
Would that the be the existing Green block ?
Plus Gore, Ashburton and Waimate I think...
Old 28th February 2014, 08:58     #34
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
As 'correct' is position on this may be; sadly there's places where politicians shouldn't tread because of headline whores.
Old 28th February 2014, 13:00     #35
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Politician says something perfectly sensible, headline whores go mental.
Old 28th February 2014, 13:32     #36
CCS
Stunt Pants

Hey, that's mainstream news these days. Whyte and Craig need to learn that. "Act into sister sex? We'll tell you more after the break!"
Old 28th February 2014, 13:34     #37
Lightspeed

That's right. Politics is a source of entertainment in the news, it's not really a source of news. Well, the news isn't a source of news I suppose.
Old 3rd March 2014, 14:31     #38
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Labour leader uses secret trust to launder campaign donations, what could possibly go wrong?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11212625
Old 3rd March 2014, 19:36     #39
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

February aggregate of all polls. Good month for National.
Old 4th March 2014, 08:28     #40
spigalau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Labour leader uses secret trust to launder campaign donations, what could possibly go wrong?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=11212625
The words Trust & Labour should not be used in the same sentance. Am still pissed that they promised and then cut my 'chewing gum tax cut'... bstrds.