Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 26th March 2018, 17:33     #1
MadMax
Stuff

What music are you playing?

Learning the Ukulele so I can continue teaching Mr Seven year old who is also already getting lessons

Started playing this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEJQjs76qf8 and oh my gosh I wasn't expecting them feels
Old 27th March 2018, 17:06     #2
Nich

This is my kind of thread!

Keeping a rotating piano repertoire from the following:
- Bach: Das Wohltemperirte Clavier (Just preludes at the moment, will work my way up to the fugues later)
- Philip Glass: Metamorphosis Solo Piano, and Etudes
- Chick Corea: Children's Songs
- Chopin: Mazurkas
- Bill Evans: random transcriptions, currently on Waltz for Debby
- Carl Czerny - The School of Velocity (for when I don't want to play a tune, and just want to hammer out technique)

I have a Korg SV-1 (which has the best piano hammer action and feel in my opinion). But the speaker setup is important. I have it set up in stereo with an RCF 12" active speaker for the low notes, and a Yamaha 4" active speaker for the high notes. This gives me a pretty accurate piano feel and sound.
Old 27th March 2018, 18:21     #3
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Ahahaha

I myself am fumbling through the Prelude in C from Book 1 right now (on piano (and by that I mean a midi controller plugged into a Mac Mini with Garageband))
Old 27th March 2018, 23:10     #4
Nich

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3MVZfLReo0

I do like Glen Gould's interpretation. Nice touch to hold the first note of the bar .

Man it must be hard going on a midi controller. I hope you have at least 4 octaves on that thing.
Old 29th March 2018, 20:43     #5
MadMax
Stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTRo5vxok8w

sex.

(A GREAT UKULELE BLUES RIFF! (Tab available [to purchase]))

sex, like my tappin foot is gettin it on with the carpet

Last edited by MadMax : 29th March 2018 at 20:46.
Old 31st March 2018, 21:25     #6
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nich
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_3MVZfLReo0

I do like Glen Gould's interpretation. Nice touch to hold the first note of the bar .

Man it must be hard going on a midi controller. I hope you have at least 4 octaves on that thing.
I know Gould’s version better than any other - when I started playing Prelude 1 I was going by ear memory and playing his one, then when I read the music I was like “wtf that doesn’t feel right”, all staccato and shit.

Yeah - midi keyboard is tough.

Anyway my current musical activity is drunken singing along with Everly Brothers songs and adding extra notes to the 2-part vocals.
Old 8th May 2018, 20:58     #7
MadMax
Stuff

Not my picture, but learning new chords be like:
Old 8th May 2018, 22:06     #8
Macca@Work

Im thinking about learning the guitar.It's on my bucket list.
Old 3rd July 2018, 18:53     #9
MadMax
Stuff

^ dooo eeeeiit. Guitars are not as expensive as you might think, at least for getting yourself something to learn on. It just gets expensive later

In other news, just played sultans of swing all the way through on my uke.

🎶/m\🎶
Old 3rd July 2018, 20:09     #10
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

👍🏽
Old 4th July 2018, 09:54     #11
pxpx

When we've got ourselves settled into our new house (when we eventually find one), I've decided to re-teach myself guitar, doing it 'properly' this time around. More focus on learning chord patterns and scales, rather than learn solely from tabs. It also gives me an excuse to rebuild my franken-squier. It's currently covered in shitty stickers and needs complete re-wiring.

Counting the years (and praying) until the boy decides he wants to learn
Old 4th July 2018, 11:08     #12
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I just want some time to play full stop. Fingers are all soft 😢
Old 5th July 2018, 20:55     #13
crocos

Guitars are only expensive if you don't play them. Or you collect them.

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 23rd August 2018, 18:01     #14
MadMax
Stuff

So ahhh, are you settled yet? 🙃

Swapped in a low-g string on my Uke. Too bad I should have asked the rock shop to supply me with a non-wire wound string as it just sounds soooo very weird. The nyl-gut strings sound amazing to me but the low-g set comes with that one string as wire-wound.

Sounds to me like an old frog stuck in a piano. There’s no string-fret bar contact buzz, it’s just how it sounds.

For the time being however it lets me play a wider variety of songs and will do for now.

Current song: CCR Proud Mary

Last edited by MadMax : 23rd August 2018 at 18:03.
Old 23rd August 2018, 19:40     #15
[Malks] Pixie

So just starting mixing on my next EP and it's heaps more pop than my last (which is weird because I am WAY more angry). Been playing with synth strings on a few tracks and discovered I can force the strings to glitch by layering the same progression on top of itself multiple times - screws with the the time and pitch of the played notes which is an awesome bit of randomness (though sometimes just a mess, mileage may vary).

Also been writing from bass quite a bit more, which is nice, if my bass wasn't 20+ years old and the electronics are getting a bit "signally". Still it's my sisters bass and having legacy instruments (as we played in a couple of bands together) is always a nice touch. Writing from bass has also forced me to be a bit more creative with my guitar work too, and if you think your fingers hurt from years of not playing guitar try picking up a decades old 5 string bass :-/
Old 9th September 2018, 18:24     #16
Nich

This is a useful primer
https://www.reddit.com/r/musictheory/wiki/index
Old 21st February 2019, 17:04     #17
Nich

The One Scale You Should Be Practicing Every Day - Peter Martin & Adam Maness | You'll Hear It S3E21
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rcCc45oVXM4

Jazz nerd podcast.

These guys have some great tips for practicing, improvising, etc
Old 3rd April 2019, 20:54     #18
Nich

VULF /// How To Play Superstition Piano Tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JA4gC4k67mc
Old 4th April 2019, 10:58     #19
[Malks] Pixie

New EP is what I've been playing - dropped a link in RT thread but perhaps this is the more appropriate place.

https://thek1500project.bandcamp.com...ruth-by-otters

Currently working on a dancier, funkier project then back to the more rock stuff after that.
Old 4th April 2019, 23:34     #20
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Wacked

DrTiTus - Stickem With The Truth

Psy trance in FL Studio. Got my automation on.
Old 5th April 2019, 19:34     #21
[Malks] Pixie

^^ I like this. I need to get my head around automations.

I've been experimenting with more "dancy" electronic sounds but I keep running into the cheese factor (which is probably more to do with my lack of knowledge of the associated genres than anything else).

One of these days I should probably sit down and learn some theory (both in terms of music and the recording tech) now that I'm just doing recording instead of working with other people.
Old 8th April 2019, 11:14     #22
Macca@Work

Hawkwind Spacerock
Old 8th April 2019, 11:24     #23
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

MHG has chosen the Pinna Park theme from Super Mario Sunshine for a piano performance, so all I’m listening to every morning and evening is him practicing this.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2HqGNaEMF70
Old 8th April 2019, 13:04     #24
MadMax
Stuff

My son was being allowed a minute or so of playing on our music teacher’s drums at the end of our lessons while I packed up the ukuleles and music books/sheets/folders.

Turns out he’s a bit of a natural and also super keen on the drums so I’ve given him my time slot to get drum lessons.

We’re on meagre average incomes but I have no qualms with spending money like this on the lad’s education. Totally worth it of course. If only we had the space for a real drum kit at home ...
Old 10th April 2019, 06:23     #25
[Malks] Pixie

Mate where are you in the country? If you're near Wellington I have an old beginners kit which I'm not using and which I'd be happy to go to a good home if you can pick it up or organise shipping...

It ain't in the greatest nick but all the parts are there and working.
Old 10th April 2019, 08:12     #26
MadMax
Stuff

Wow thanks for the offer. I’m based in Palmy but honestly don’t have the space for a drum kit. He has a nasty electronic desktop pad thing that at least allows him the practice. I have been looking at electronic sets as I could swap it into the space his keyboard and stand currently takes up.
Old 10th April 2019, 15:39     #27
[Malks] Pixie

No problem - it's literally sitting round here not doing anything (which seems a shame). But your plan sounds smart - and the electronic kits these days are pretty damn close to the real thing in response, easy to record with (and have backing tracks to jam with) and certainly not least on the list, QUIET!

The pad should do for the moment if he has access to kit through school / community too - getting that fine hand control early on makes drumming much more enjoyable.
Old 6th October 2019, 21:24     #28
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Wacked

Bought a bass guitar about 3 weeks ago. I have twanged my way through Seven Nation Army, Smells Like Teen Spirit, Psycho Killer and Another One Bites the Dust. I don't really know what I'm doing, so I have arranged lessons with a guy in Palmy. My technique is currently awful - I've got fingers all over the place, strings ringing when they shouldn't, and am still no closer to being able to bust out the funk with ease. My goal at this point is just to be comfortable/skilled enough to play basic shit properly with other musicians.

Posting so I've publicly committed to the journey. Tutor guy reckons I'll be playing with others on week 2. Jesus.
Old 26th October 2019, 14:05     #29
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

So I've been loving my bass. I'm going on a songwriting course at the end of next month (lyrics? lol), as I mentioned I'd been making music on the computer for a while, and I appear hungry to learn.

Best part about the lessons (apart from having a deadline forcing me to practice and make progress) is actually playing with others, which I was dreading. Apparently I've got a good sense of timing/rhythm. My co-ordination is a bit shit while I'm new, especially while trying to read sheet music, translate that to a note, to a finger/fret position with my left hand, get my little finger close enough to the fret, and do it all with good timing. "Slow down..."

The Soundcloud links I posted above are set to private if anybody actually tried, as I realised afterward that the remix competition that I got the stems from didn't allow public posting and my Soundcloud was linked in my bio.

Bass has opened up my ears to music that I didn't really gravitate toward. Fun times playing along to Dr Hook, or Primus, or random disco tunes, just trying to work out the basic notes by ear instead of referring to tabs for everything.

The latest remix comp is for a "metal EDM" track, but it was a bit synthy and electronic for my liking (ironically, and so is Tool's new album IMHO), so I tried to make it more metal. I'm on bass (playing) and drums (programmed), power chord drone thing that sounds like a guitar but isn't, and the occasional growl of "war" (hahah) because the vocals provided didn't have much menacing bottom end. It's the first time in 20 years I've ever recorded my own voice and used it in a track. I'm not a metal expert - in fact I've never made metal or bothered to listen carefully - so I'm probably doing the drums wrong. I haven't used any hats or cymbals, for instance, and the kit's probably whack. The bassline is simple and slow enough for me to manage. I recorded myself playing the parts repeatedly and just used slices that were consistent and looped them (no quantise tho!). Sounds like the guy did the same with his guitar, so that'll do.

Vigilante - Into The War (DrTiTus Remix)
Old 22nd November 2019, 11:09     #30
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Thumbs up

6 weeks of lessons. Can sight read half of the bass clef (lower notes, D down) although still a bit stutter brain. Practicing in bed just reading the note names out loud. Basic rhythms/note lengths, easy. I know the first 5 frets pretty well, although haven't been doing much with the G string yet (because bass) so realistically I know 3/4 of the first 5 frets. Get a bit confused reading sheet music and looking away to check my fret position and then trying to get my eyes back to where I'm up to, but looking away less as time goes by. Having lyrics helps more, but the stuff from class has codas and shit, and no words.

I'm able to play along to chord sheets, ie. looked up Beatles - In My Life yesterday and played/recorded it this morning. (High passed the original @ 250Hz and overdubbed the bass, no cutting and pasting this time round)

Much progress.
Old 22nd November 2019, 12:55     #31
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Good on you. Music is the best.
Old 22nd November 2019, 21:00     #32
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
Get a bit confused reading sheet music and looking away to check my fret position and then trying to get my eyes back to where I'm up to,
are you positioning correctly? ie rather than fingering the frets with the pointing finger all the time, keep the four fingers aligned to their respective fret. look ahead at the music and for example if there are no first fret notes and the lowest tab number is 2 go for "second postion" where your pointing finger lives on fret 2.

if you're getting lessons this would have been taught already.

Last edited by MadMax : 22nd November 2019 at 21:01.
Old 23rd November 2019, 00:51     #33
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
are you positioning correctly?

if you're getting lessons this would have been taught already.
Yep, although 1-2-4 over 3 frets, because that's what I've been taught. I don't think I could physically stretch my fingers over the 4 lowest frets, at least not if I expect them to move! I used the word "position" but I guess I should have said "finger placement" since position means something. It's when I hear a rattle I'll look down to make sure I'm pressing in the right place and that's become a habit when I'm going back to the low G since that's the big fat one that rattles easiest.
Old 23rd November 2019, 16:35     #34
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

MHG has for some reason got the sound of early 20th-century ragtime and stride piano stuck in his head. Which is good, because now I don't have to get our family heirloom upright piano tuned, because it kinda sounds appropriate. Money saved.
Old 23rd November 2019, 22:13     #35
Lightspeed

Ugh, I can't stand rags, one of the few genres I universally dislike.

But cool your kid is into music. He is still a kid right? How old are we all now?
Old 25th November 2019, 02:08     #36
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
But cool your kid is into music. He is still a kid right? How old are we all now?
MHG is more or less the size and shape of Captain America, but with longer hair and teenage acne and peach fuzz on his face.
Old 25th November 2019, 20:13     #37
Lightspeed

That is hilarious to me. In my mind he's still a cute girl.
Old 25th November 2019, 21:11     #38
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Baby got back.

Just for you Lightspeed he was playing Maple Leaf Rag at this moment.

Old 26th November 2019, 13:39     #39
Lightspeed

That's just a pic of Steven Adams at a piano. Show us one of your boy.
Old 26th November 2019, 16:19     #40
Nich

he makes 88 keys look like 74! Perfect for left hand stride.