NZGames.com Forums
Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 19th December 2022, 07:45     #2001
fixed_truth

Now you're just being ridiculous & transphobic.

Kids being targeted by sickos online is nothing new & has nothing to do with transgender rights.

Let's scrap the gender recognition act so this can never happen again!?!
Old 19th December 2022, 07:54     #2002
Cyberbob

Cunning linguist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
fluid notions of masculinity and femininity.
That's a bit of a nansy pansy thing to say. Or maybe it's sissy, certainly not an alpha stud. Unless you're a woman, then it might be a bit butch, ok maybe just tomboy. Definitely not ladylike.

Disclaimer: Not directed at you in any way, just showing fluid notions of masculinity and femininity very much exist today in our society and have done for some time, and if anyone doesn't think so, they can just man up..

Last edited by Cyberbob : 19th December 2022 at 07:57.
Old 19th December 2022, 09:48     #2003
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Kids being targeted by sickos online is nothing new
And the people who do it are almost always men.
Old 20th December 2022, 21:25     #2004
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Please ensure you use appropriate language on NZG. Here are some guidelines.

https://s.wsj.net/public/resources/d...rdlanguage.pdf
Old 20th December 2022, 21:46     #2005
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Laugh

What a great list. I actually learned some history in there - "basket case"? I had no idea. "No can do" - racist! "hip hip hooray" - was used by Germans as a rallying cry to hunt down Jews hahah. Everyone has been anti-semitic at every birthday party they ever intended.

God the modern world sucks, and more surprising than how crazy these ideas are, is that there are people [including here] who actually defend them.
Old 21st December 2022, 07:18     #2006
StN
I have detailed files

Oh my - I (until 10 minutes ago) previously had elevated respect for the outputs of the Standford University Network, predominantly (*checks* - can I use a word derived from domination??) in the area of data processing and integrated (*nervous shiver*) circuit design, resulting in some rather good (*errr*) UNIX (*Ok, clearly now I've stepped over the mark and trivialised persons who prefer castration*) computers.
Old 21st December 2022, 09:38     #2007
Cyberbob

Facinating list.

I saw that instead of "disabled person" that "person with a disability" should be used due to the fact that "Disabled person" implies that the disability defines a person, whereas "Person with a disability" gives the ownership of the disability to the person."

A lot of people with disabilities had issue with New Zealand's new Ministry of Disabled People for exactly this reason.
Old 21st December 2022, 10:18     #2008
StN
I have detailed files

Hmm - similar to abusive relationship - except, perhaps, there is a subset of the BDSM community that would prefer to be identified as having abuse be the defining factor?

I appear to be having an increased level of engorgement in my cranial blood vessels - just an observation.
Old 21st December 2022, 11:08     #2009
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

I see that trigger warnings are themselves so triggering that they require trigger warnings.
Old 21st December 2022, 12:01     #2010
_indigo1

I totally understand the word I am about to use is extremely loaded - but -
This is like societal/lingual eugenics.

If you take language and society as entities that display an evolutionary pattern, then that's what this sort of shit is.

I mean, I'm not gonna disagree with the kernel of spirit that clearly goes behind the thinking of this sort of thing - but going this far with it . . .
Old 21st December 2022, 12:04     #2011
StN
I have detailed files

Oh no - just saw the diagram indicating the NZ sign language representation for "Fucktard". I fear there may be an interpretive issue with the second syllable if it accentuates a large forehead?

Old 31st December 2022, 17:35     #2012
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Anger as Police Scotland begin referring to “minor-attracted people” instead of “paedophiles”

https://www.scottishdailyexpress.co....olice-28841534
Old 1st January 2023, 04:54     #2013
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Man sues to force admission to women-only dating network because he identifies as a woman:

https://www.theguardian.com/media/20...discrimination
Old 1st January 2023, 06:18     #2014
wazza
*flex*

^^ i wish these parasites would neck themselves.
Old 1st January 2023, 11:32     #2015
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Old 3rd January 2023, 21:36     #2016
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Checkmate atheists

https://twitter.com/agedysphoria/sta...00052630556673
Old 5th January 2023, 18:11     #2017
_indigo1

Male inequality
(Not really PCGM, but as juxtaposition to some of the more PCGM stuff)
Old 5th January 2023, 19:25     #2018
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

And commentators point at symptoms like Andrew Tate and clutch their pearls crying “how could such a thing happen”.
Old 5th January 2023, 22:19     #2019
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by _indigo1
Male inequality
(Not really PCGM, but as juxtaposition to some of the more PCGM stuff)
It fits the sub, I don't really see the need to gender inequality. The expert's solution is the obvious one "invest resources". Sorting that investment by gender is just the ongoing juggle of resources that occurs in lieu of actually addressing inequality.

The slice of the cake most of us enjoy continues to diminish, what remains going to those able to present themselves as amongst those deemed most worthy.

Understandably people have gotten quite wound up about identity.
Old 6th January 2023, 11:55     #2020
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

If you ignore male athletes dominating women’s sports, you’re a bigot committing trans erasure

https://www.outsports.com/trans/2022...al-world-title
Old 6th January 2023, 23:24     #2021
_indigo1

Dear Simon,
I saw this and I thought of you:

https://www.vice.com/en/article/m7gd...-are-concerned

Yours always,
Indigo1
Old 7th January 2023, 22:35     #2022
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Snore

Gooooold
Old 9th January 2023, 10:39     #2023
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Art history professor displays historical art in art history class, is fired of course

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/01/08/u...-muhammad.html
Old 11th January 2023, 20:49     #2024
_indigo1

https://www.reddit.com/r/PublicFreak...r_during_a_qa/
Old 15th January 2023, 12:50     #2025
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Brit Awards move to gender-neutral categories results in almost total exclusion of women

Who could possibly have foreseen, etc
Old 15th January 2023, 14:38     #2026
Lightspeed

o_O

Foreseen what as a result of what?
Old 15th January 2023, 15:32     #2027
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

When the protection of “female only” is removed from a place, it becomes a male place.
Old 15th January 2023, 15:38     #2028
Lightspeed

Laugh

Which bit's the madness?
Old 15th January 2023, 16:23     #2029
Cyberbob

It's PC gone MAD, as in the mutually assured destruction type.

Best Female and Best male categories exist: Too sexist.
Creates a single gender neutral category instead: Winners are exclusively male.

"At the time, critics warned that the move could be detrimental to women."

Explain why, without tanking your entire career.
Old 15th January 2023, 16:32     #2030
Lightspeed

It looks to me like the world is still very much for a handful of rich men and their families, but we're trying to find ways to keep that, but without the consequences.

If we really were concerned about the role of vulnerable people in our communities, we'd transform our tax systems.

But why would those few rich men sit by and let that happen? Hey, how about making it about men and women instead of the ongoing gross accumulation of wealth that's occurring?

I'm reminded in the Haitian revolution. The complaints from the artisans that they weren't enjoying the same benefits as the landowners. "It's not fair!" And then the slaves revolted, lolz.
Old 15th January 2023, 19:02     #2031
_Incubus_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
It looks to me like the world is still very much for a handful of rich men and their families, but we're trying to find ways to keep that, but without the consequences.

If we really were concerned about the role of vulnerable people in our communities, we'd transform our tax systems.

But why would those few rich men sit by and let that happen? Hey, how about making it about men and women instead of the ongoing gross accumulation of wealth that's occurring?

I'm reminded in the Haitian revolution. The complaints from the artisans that they weren't enjoying the same benefits as the landowners. "It's not fair!" And then the slaves revolted, lolz.
40% of my tax breakdown already goes towards welfare and benefits....I'm not sure me paying more tax is the real problem.
Old 15th January 2023, 19:30     #2032
Lightspeed

Why you paying more tax? You super rich? Naw, that can't be right, you're paying tax.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 15th January 2023 at 19:31.
Old 15th January 2023, 20:28     #2033
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Isn't that a strawman argument in the context of this particular issue?

"The gendered awards were working, but gender is a hot topic now, and as a result of the woke reaction the gender neutral awards have their old problems back."

"Therefore rejig the tax system!"

I'm not saying the tax system is ideal - or wealth distribution, which I think is your issue - but it's quite a leap to imply that the simplest solution to this particular issue is to reconfigure the entire world, while retaining the gender neutral awards.
Old 16th January 2023, 08:25     #2034
fixed_truth

It’s interesting because we’re talking about categorising gender in areas where someone's physical makeup has no bearing on the outcome. Which by the way is quite common with arts/entertainment i.e., MTV, Grammys, Arias, Booker prize, Turner Prize. So if there is bias then the problem is structural sexism.

Which is where it gets a bit lol because these same people outraged have forever actively justified the gender pay gap and lower women participation in the stem fields for example. It's just meritocracy in action. Women aren’t interested in these things. Men just happen to be better.

Because let’s be honest here. Lightspeed is right, you guys don’t really give a shit about social justice and are happy to ignore most inequality in society unless your social media algorithm tells you to. The huge financial investment and social change required to turn this around, you’re not interested in. That late stage capitalism works for you but not them is their fault once again justified by faith based concepts like personal responsibility, individualism and biological determinism.
Old 16th January 2023, 10:13     #2035
Cyberbob

The people pushing for the best tree climbing awards to be open to fish are the same people surprised when no fish win.
Old 16th January 2023, 11:26     #2036
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
The people pushing for the best tree climbing awards to be open to fish are the same people surprised when no fish win.
This is one of the best summations I've read in a long time.
Old 16th January 2023, 11:35     #2037
fixed_truth

facepalm

^That's the perfect example of a hysterical idiotic argument.

In the context of a non biological based competition you're making it about biological advantage.
Old 16th January 2023, 12:13     #2038
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
It’s interesting because we’re talking about categorising gender in areas where someone's physical makeup has no bearing on the outcome.
Disagree - music /as an industry/ has come to be about the music video - which requires attractive people. Not many people want to watch ugly people sing about love (except country music fans). It doesn't stir the emotions in quite the same way as Britney Spears in a red jumpsuit. Britney was successful. Did Britney even write her own music for which she was winning the award? I don't think so. There are winning formulas with music, and the target audience of most successful groups is "teenage/early 20s girls". Music is largely about emotions. Beatle-mania? Teenage girls. Elvis? Teenage girls. There is of course more than one market: hip hop requires a certain "physical makeup" - black thug. Eminem is the exception rather than a rule, but he's still known as "a white rapper". Is it race based? Yes. Does anyone really care? No. Country music is quite a different genre where they will sing about a pickup truck and getting too drunk, and they have their own awards as a result.

Being a great musician/producer is NOT the same as being a commercially successful, award-winning artist. Anyone can be a musician or sing - but how shocked we were when Susan Boyle had a great voice, and they immediately rushed to make her less ugly. Physical makeup plays a part. The music video is likely far more expensive to make than the actual song, and because it's a visual medium, physical makeup really matters.

It also extends to movies/film: actors and actresses are chosen /specifically for how they look on screen/. Portfolios have photos attached so that movie makers can choose the physical makeup they have in mind. Does he look like a villain? We need an old woman to play the part of a grandmother, etc. If it was about acting skills alone, the same best actor/actress could play every role. But that's just weird. Physical makeup plays a part.

But beyond your point about how music /should be/ a meritocracy (but isn't), what is the actual problem with having male and female categories?

But you are right about one thing: I don't give a shit about social justice, because there are bigger problems in the world than whether some trans gendered person gets their own toilet or can enter a competition where they will dominate unfairly and it hurts their feelings.

Last edited by DrTiTus : 16th January 2023 at 12:15.
Old 16th January 2023, 13:20     #2039
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
In the context of a non biological based competition you're making it about biological advantage.
According to the OCEAN model (Openness, Conscientiousness, Extraversion, Agreeableness, and Neuroticism) men score more highly on extraversion while women score more highly on agreeableness and neuroticism. Men will compete for things, and not worry about other people's feelings or their own shortcomings, more aggressively than women. Especially for things like individual awards which are status markers.
Old 16th January 2023, 13:51     #2040
Lightspeed

Does that tells us about men or our society and what it values, how people grow up adapted to that?

Can we think critically about the whole award system in the first place? People chasing after tokens, for what? Oh right, to assure themselves access to resources, of which we have in abundance, but keep only for the most deserving. Or something.