Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > The year of rugby
User Name
Password

Old 16th February 2009, 02:17     #1
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Steve Walsh sacked?

Quote:
Walsh was left off the New Zealand Rugby Union's initial Super 14 panel because of "personal employment" reasons.

He is understood to be in the middle of on-going talks with the union on his future after he allegedly misbehaved at the Sanzar meeting in Sydney in December.

One of the options on the table is for the union to consider dismissal.

Sunday News has been told Walsh will not referee within New Zealand again.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4848559a1823.html

What the? Anyone got any more gossip on this? I've always considered Walsh to be a bloody good ref.
Old 16th February 2009, 02:46     #2
CCS
Stunt Pants

Here's a couple:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news...ectid=10553061

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news...ectid=10547978
Old 16th February 2009, 10:43     #3
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

I heard he turned up to an early SANZAR meeting and wreaked of alcohol and was asked to leave. There was another meeting that afternoon at 2pm and he did a no show. Haven't heard anything since, I really hope he hasn't been sacked, when I read the above the article said he'd been suspended for the first 4 rounds of the Super 14.
Old 28th April 2009, 20:03     #4
CCS
Stunt Pants

Rugby: Walsh admits drink problem = gone
Quote:
The New Zealand Rugby Union (NZRU) wasn't prepared to help Steve Walsh with his on-going drinking problems, the long-serving referee said yesterday as he quit the game.

Walsh and the NZRU issued a joint statement announcing his retirement from refereeing.
Old 28th April 2009, 20:36     #5
HO-Hoon

Damn you Wayne Barnes it's all your fault!!
Old 29th April 2009, 08:54     #6
mr selfdestruct
The Deliverator

Seems a bit rough with the number of chances players get for alcohol related incidents
Old 29th April 2009, 10:28     #7
Juju
get to da choppa

Depends what they mean by drinking problem though. I mean if it gets on it here and there and fingers a girl one boozy night with the lads then it's comparable, but if he downs 3 bottles every night, turns up late, hungover all the time etc... then it would be a bit different.
Old 30th April 2009, 22:36     #8
Madman

As far as what the media is saying (and they would be the ones to play it up), it was a period of a few months last year, culminating in the SANZAR meeting where things came to a head.

He seems a good bloke, and is certainly taking the news a lot better than most others I've seen recently. Good on you for standing up to your mistakes and moving on Steve.