Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > The year of rugby
User Name
Password

Old 17th September 2007, 03:13     #1
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Aaron Mauger: keep Argentina out of Tri-Nations

http://www.rugbyheaven.co.nz/4203826a22428.html

Dear Aaron Mauger, why don't you head off to the Northern Hemisphere with your nice Leicester contract and shut the fuck up about shit that doesn't concern you?
Old 17th September 2007, 07:59     #2
Ezekiel 25:17

They are playing and beating some of the 'top' teams. I don't think they can be denied from joining one of the competitions.

There is all this talk of expanding rugby to be more international... and yet with a team who is coming up and showing they can play nothing is being done for them. Shocking.
Old 17th September 2007, 10:31     #3
blynk

I think they should set up an 'Americas' rugby competition. They can have Argentina, US & Canada.
Obviously it would be a little step down for Argentina, but the comp could build up quickly, and then there would be 2 other decent teams.

Also, the fact they are in different hemispheres could be interesting, but you could have the comp at the end of one winter and the start of the other.
Old 17th September 2007, 10:42     #4
Ard Righ

They already have a Pan-American Cup. They also have a Pacific tournament for the islands, Japan, USA and Canada to compete in.

The travel distance from South Africa to Argentina would be quite insane. Unless they managed to space the travel out by a good 2-3 weeks, travelling around the planet is a bit of a tall ask for tournament matches.

The South Africans already complain about travel. Do you think they would applaud having to travel all the way to Argentina for a game ? I doubt it.
Old 17th September 2007, 11:39     #5
pig

I think Mauger makes a fair point actually. As he's going to be overseas i think he's in a good position to comment since it doesn't matter to him either way what does actually happen. It's a given already that the team that that has just travelled to/come back from SA is a better chance of getting picked off than otherwise so including trips to Argentina is only going to increase the toll.
Old 17th September 2007, 12:28     #6
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ard Righ
The South Africans already complain about travel. Do you think they would applaud having to travel all the way to Argentina for a game ? I doubt it.
It would be quicker from SA to Argentina than SA to NZ (or OZ). Travel the other way around
Old 17th September 2007, 13:04     #7
xor

Internationals are under enough stress with the amount of play time and injuries as it is. NZ players going to SA and then Argentina will definitly suffer.