Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion > Politics
User Name
Password

Old 26th August 2010, 18:25     #1
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Increase teacher pay

Because apparently when you pay peanuts you get monkeys.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10668807
Old 26th August 2010, 18:27     #2
Lightspeed

That's a great idea. Hands up those willing to pay more taxes so that our kids get better education?
Old 26th August 2010, 18:50     #3
fixed_truth

http://www.ppta.org.nz/index.php/ppt...-salaries.html
Quote:
* Of 29 countries in the survey New Zealand had the fourth worst starting salary.
* After 15 years' experience New Zealand secondary teachers have a cost of living/exchange rate-adjusted (PPP) salary which is 17% lower than the OECD average.
Old 26th August 2010, 19:46     #4
TheBender

Oh that's just fucked-in-the-head thinking from the school.

Maybe this bunch were their inspiration.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education...-shooting.html
Old 26th August 2010, 20:01     #5
Deadmeat

At least it's better than the ausi teacher who had their kids plan a terrorist attack on their own neighbourhood. With the aim of maximising casualties, naturally.
Old 26th August 2010, 20:06     #6
ChaosWulf
Don't worry, be harpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
That's a great idea. Hands up those willing to pay more taxes so that our kids get better education?
Me.
Old 26th August 2010, 20:10     #7
xor

It's too late, there are too many tards in teaching already.
Old 26th August 2010, 20:31     #8
Lightspeed

I know a few of good people who are teachers, but who are already showing signs of exhaustion after only a couple of years work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaosWulf
Me.
Yeah, me too. But not the people who can most afford to.

Last edited by Lightspeed : 26th August 2010 at 20:33.
Old 26th August 2010, 21:49     #9
Saladin
Nothing to See Here!

lol, southland.
Old 26th August 2010, 22:06     #10
Spidey

Disband the union, pay teachers based on student's performance.
Old 26th August 2010, 22:43     #11
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

If pay is based on student performance, then who in their right mind would want to teach the children with learning difficulties?
Old 26th August 2010, 23:03     #12
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
I'd buy that for a dollar. Provided the quality of the teaching was measured of course.
Old 26th August 2010, 23:08     #13
LFC

Poor people don't deserve a good education, I'm sending my kids to private school.
Old 26th August 2010, 23:17     #14
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey
1. Give the students A grades
2. ???
3. Profit
Old 26th August 2010, 23:17     #15
MrTTTT

mostly teachers are muppets and don't deserve more pay. but then it's a viscous cycle. the pay is shit so it attracts those who sucked at everything else, so teachers are muppets, so they don't deserve more pay. and the cycle continues.

honestly, teaching is a fooking easy job. anyone who tells you differently is a full time teacher.

disclaimer: i'm not referring to primary school teachers here.

Last edited by MrTTTT : 26th August 2010 at 23:18.
Old 26th August 2010, 23:41     #16
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Question

How long did you teach for MrTTTT?

What makes primary school teachers exempt from your branding of muppets?

I ask because I'm training to be a secondary school teacher, and I find it interesting to hear what different people's opinions are of teaching and teachers, and what made their school experience positive/negative.
Old 26th August 2010, 23:46     #17
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrTTTT
it's a viscous cycle
lol
Old 26th August 2010, 23:48     #18
dylan
Huh?

Quote:
honestly, teaching is a fooking easy job. anyone who tells you differently is a full time teacher.

My dad was a (secondary school) teacher for a long time, and believe me when I say fuck you - you're a muppet
Old 26th August 2010, 23:51     #19
Lightspeed

I don't think I would want anyone teaching who thought teaching was easy. Caring for, let alone educating a room full of children alone HAS to be difficult. If it's not then I doubt the teacher is really teaching.
Old 27th August 2010, 00:49     #20
QWERTY?

oh teaching,

the problems with teaching in NZ are quite a contrast from Canada

1) Teaching is INSANELY competitive to get into(you'll see why), NZ its a call back career for most uni students
2) Starting salary is like 55~ CAD, what it is in NZ 38 NZD? (though different markets, blah)
3) Its impossible to get a fulltime job out of it in canada out of school, you pretty much have to do relief(supply) teaching, like 1 day a week for a few years before you get small contracts then eventually you might end up with fulltime job, on top of that you have to be continuously taking courses to upskill.

most of the difference is not around pay, but benefits as well, the retirement contributions alone are like 15% above your pay, its super unionized so once you're in you are set for life.

I speculate that in NZ offered perks and decent pay, thus making it far more competitive the standard of education would rise also perhaps? BUT who's going to pay for it is the other issue..
Old 27th August 2010, 10:06     #21
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
I'd buy that for a dollar. Provided the quality of the teaching was measured of course.
That's easier said than done. Can you even consistently and fairly measure a teachers performance based on the students outcomes? Take the current proposed national standards policy.

These issues were identified by Professor Warwick Elley, who has been a highly regarded expert in the field of educational assessment for the last 30-years.
Twenty Fundamental Flaws in the National Standards policy
Old 27th August 2010, 10:11     #22
JP

It's funny, i'd say, if you remove private schools, for some reason we'd find a way to increase funding for public schools considerably. It's a bit of a joke 80% of the population is being pushed into second class citizenship.

As long as their are private options, those who have most of the wealth will push for reduced funding for public services.

As for education itself, well I mean, how much of it is still based around memorisation? It's got to be one of the most retarded things about the modern education system, even at university, memorisation is king in most subjects. You may need skills beyond that, but if you cannot memorise things you are pretty much going to fail. Of course this leads to shit like writing out the same lines over and over instead of reading entire sections and trying to truely increase understanding.

Then all of a sudden you get outside of school and memorisation hardly exists, it does exist, and to that extent I think it should be included in school, but I mean, we get 17 years to try and make people as smart as possible which is something that benefits everyone. Is memorisation really the best thing to be training people to do?

Yet people will cling to it, look at the cambridge bullshit.

Last edited by JP : 27th August 2010 at 10:15.
Old 27th August 2010, 11:00     #23
[WanG] Wandarah

Quote:
mostly teachers are muppets and don't deserve more pay. but then it's a viscous cycle. the pay is shit so it attracts those who sucked at everything else, so teachers are muppets, so they don't deserve more pay. and the cycle continues.

either this is a fantastic troll, or you're a fantastic troll.
Old 27th August 2010, 11:24     #24
xor

I'd edit that and say most primary teachers are tarded up. High school teachers are a different breed and command respect.
Old 27th August 2010, 12:59     #25
Lightspeed

Teachers didn't command shit at AO when I was there.
Old 27th August 2010, 13:42     #26
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spidey
So everyone will want to work in the Decile 10 schools and no one in the Decile 1 schools.

I have a close connection to a Secondary school teacher, and can see the amount of work that person does. It's insane.
Of course, I also see some of the other people who seem to do a helluva lot less.

Individual pay would be way better, but a lot harder to implement fairly.
Old 27th August 2010, 14:17     #27
smudge
Ich Bin Ein Grey Lynner

Quote:
Teachers didn't command shit at AO when I was there.
<raps>Straight outa south auckland, a dirty MFer called Lightspeed</raps>

My sister is a deputy principal of a decile 1 school in south auckland, teachers who are useless seem to be one of her bigger problems.