Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 29th October 2020, 09:43     #42241
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
What a load of shit. Racism is when you discriminate against someone based on the colour of their skin. If you deny ol' honkey a job simply because he/she is white then that's racist AF.
Where did you learn that xor? Where does your confidence come from?

There are many, many ways we can discriminate against each other, but most don't have names because they've never been a part of systemic, institutionalised discrimination.
Old 29th October 2020, 09:54     #42242
Lightspeed

I feel called out.

Old 29th October 2020, 11:28     #42243
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
What a load of shit. Racism is when you discriminate against someone based on the colour of their skin. If you deny ol' honkey a job simply because he/she is white then that's racist AF.
That's a common misconception. You're talking about racial discrimination.

Calling a white person honkey doesn't perpetuate negative stereotypes that create barriers to their partipation in society. Almost all white people don't get denied a flat, or job call backs, or followed in a shop, or targeted by police (etc etc etc) because of of their skin colour or name spelling.

Here's some information if you're interested:

http://www.aclrc.com/myth-of-reverse-racism
Old 29th October 2020, 11:53     #42244
Nich

Ok, I'll go for your trap and say Jewish people have no shortage of money and power. So my verdict is Jewish vs Kazakh would be punching down, and last I checked we don't like punching down.
Old 29th October 2020, 13:41     #42245
Lightspeed

I'm not quite sure why you're trying to chase an absolute here?
Old 29th October 2020, 14:01     #42246
StN
I have detailed files

I feel the media object in question should be viewed in its entirety before passing judgement. Except the the bit about "Moon blood" - that was a bit gross. That way you can see that the "running of the Jew" has been replaced by a much more comical reference, with Karen snotting all over Dr Fauci. At east the crowd are masked up, with the undercurrent of them being better than the US mobs.
Old 1st November 2020, 08:09     #42247
Cyberbob

RIP Sir Sean Connery. Cinematic legend.
Old 1st November 2020, 13:15     #42248
Lightspeed

Yeah, I'll be watching some classic Bond this week. RIP.
Old 2nd November 2020, 20:01     #42249
Cyberbob

Just posted a letter to the Tauranga Neuromuscular Rihabilitation Therapy.

"Rihabilitation? OK benefit of the doubt, maybe it's some rarely used, similar spelling to a common word, that I've just never come across before. Like Adsorption vs Absorption, Hyperthermia vs Hypothermia."

Nope, just straight up misspelled business name.
Old 2nd November 2020, 20:10     #42250
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Very sad

Just got news my Dad had a heart attack and died out on his bike today.

It was to be his birthday on Wednesday - 66.

Just a reminder to make the most of the time you have with the people you love.
Old 2nd November 2020, 22:15     #42251
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus

Damn bro, I'm so sorry to hear
Old 2nd November 2020, 22:43     #42252
blynk

That sucks big time. Sorry to hear.
Old 2nd November 2020, 22:49     #42253
xor

Quote:

Sorry to hear, bro. That's shit.
Old 2nd November 2020, 23:40     #42254
Lightspeed

Sorry for your loss mate.
Old 3rd November 2020, 06:23     #42255
StN
I have detailed files

So sorry Dr-T, this year is shit.
Old 3rd November 2020, 11:05     #42256
[fe]

Condolences to you and your family - that is rough. Hang in there.
Old 3rd November 2020, 12:53     #42257
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:

Oh man I'm so sorry. Condolences to you and your family.
Old 6th November 2020, 13:09     #42258
Lightspeed

How you holding up DrT?
Old 6th November 2020, 18:32     #42259
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

I'm still up with my family - the funeral is tomorrow. We've been to visit Dad's body at the funeral home, which was actually a really good move. Until we did that it was just a sad story - it felt like he could come home from work at any time - but seeing him at peace in his coffin made it certain that he's gone.

When I first found out, I doubted that I could speak at his service, but I think I'll be able to cope.

One of Dad's biggest fears was growing old and incapacitated, so it's somewhat of a relief that it was relatively instant, and not a long, drawn-out suffering.
Old 8th November 2020, 15:05     #42260
Lightspeed

FBI: Hackers stole source code from US government agencies and private companies
Old 8th November 2020, 19:43     #42261
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Quote:
the funeral is tomorrow.
Final update on the event: funeral was held, speeches were given (with a couple of tear chokes), and Department of Corrections gave him a Guard of honour send-off as the coffin went into the hearse, which was really nice - he didn't work hard for them just to pretend he never existed. Turnout was amazing - people came from miles around, from years ago, the family caught up with each other (we never do). Back home, will be back to my routine tomorrow or the day after.

Thanks for your thoughts, strangers and friends, and I appreciate having a place to dump my thoughts.

As cliche as it sounds: live every day as if it were your last - as time goes on, it just may well be.
Old 11th November 2020, 14:33     #42262
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
That's a common misconception. You're talking about racial discrimination.

Calling a white person honkey doesn't perpetuate negative stereotypes that create barriers to their partipation in society. Almost all white people don't get denied a flat, or job call backs, or followed in a shop, or targeted by police (etc etc etc) because of of their skin colour or name spelling.

Here's some information if you're interested:

http://www.aclrc.com/myth-of-reverse-racism
Sorry, I judge people based on the content of their character.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightspeed
Where did you learn that xor? Where does your confidence come from?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Oxford dictionary
The unfair treatment of people who belong to a different race; violent behaviour towards them
Old 11th November 2020, 14:34     #42263
xor

Quote:
Final update on the event: funeral was held, speeches were given (with a couple of tear chokes), and Department of Corrections gave him a Guard of honour send-off as the coffin went into the hearse, which was really nice - he didn't work hard for them just to pretend he never existed. Turnout was amazing - people came from miles around, from years ago, the family caught up with each other (we never do). Back home, will be back to my routine tomorrow or the day after.

Thanks for your thoughts, strangers and friends, and I appreciate having a place to dump my thoughts.

As cliche as it sounds: live every day as if it were your last - as time goes on, it just may well be.
Good to hear! Hope you're going ok now.
Old 11th November 2020, 14:39     #42264
Lightspeed

Oof, dictionary definition.

I'm not confident of my ability to convince you, but I have to point out that dictionary definitions are one of the least sophisticated ways of understanding concepts.
Old 11th November 2020, 14:54     #42265
xor

Fair enough, can you provide a definition of the word racism then?
Old 11th November 2020, 15:05     #42266
Lightspeed

I don't think strict definitions are particularly helpful for such complex phenomena. In fact, they can be unhelpful as we get fixated on the definition over the phenomena. Especially with something like this where power dynamics are at play.
Old 11th November 2020, 15:19     #42267
xor

GG
Old 11th November 2020, 15:32     #42268
Lightspeed

Like I said, I doubted I could convince you of anything.

In health and social science definitions are temporary things. You construct them, put them to use, then deconstruct them. They aren't permanently formed as in other sciences.

You've referred to mental health yourself, so you have had some exposure to the concepts that have been developed in this way. They weren't developed by people cooking up definitions and sharing them with the world. They were developed by people and institutions willing to grapple with the unknown and uncertainty, to step away from the objectivity of the previous century that gave us lobotomies and electrocuted genitals.
Old 11th November 2020, 16:08     #42269
xor

Here's another definition from the human rights commission: https://humanrights.gov.au/our-work/...on/what-racism.
Old 11th November 2020, 17:07     #42270
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Racism is more than just words, beliefs and actions. It includes all the barriers that prevent people from enjoying dignity and equality because of their race.
When athletes of West African descent win sprinting races, that's racism.
Old 11th November 2020, 17:33     #42271
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Sorry, I judge people based on the content of their character.
I have no doubt of that. But from your place of privilege you erroneously see other peoples lived experience as playing out as if everyone acts as you do. Talk to these people and they'll tell you that they have to put up with all sorts of racial bias. I think it's important to reflect on why privaleged people get so offended when it's pointed out that racial discrimination effects minorities in a much more damaging way than it effects them.

Last edited by fixed_truth : 11th November 2020 at 17:34.
Old 11th November 2020, 17:42     #42272
Lightspeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
Here's another definition from the human rights commission: https://humanrights.gov.au/our-work/...on/what-racism.
Which in turns links to this explanation:
https://humanrights.gov.au/sites/def...atisracism.pdf

As you can see the concept can be continually expanded upon and no doubt you could find a variety of statements about racism in any number of places. It's a potential study, gathering the statements on racism from the human rights commissions of various states and jurisdictions, compare the differences, similarities, etc.

Racism is about power dynamics, those who feel they're losing power have reason to try and find definitions that resist this loss. Which is why the intention behind a definition is central to that definition.
Old 11th November 2020, 21:03     #42273
xor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fixed_truth
I have no doubt of that. But from your place of privilege you erroneously see other peoples lived experience as playing out as if everyone acts as you do. Talk to these people and they'll tell you that they have to put up with all sorts of racial bias. I think it's important to reflect on why privaleged people get so offended when it's pointed out that racial discrimination effects minorities in a much more damaging way than it effects them.
I have no doubt that people suffer greatly from racism. You and I are on the same page there. I spoke with my old wok colleague who used to get caned at school for speaking Maori. There is no dispute there.

I completely disagree with you when you state that non white people can't be racist against white people. If you attempt to denigrate someone based on the colour of their skin then you are racist. That's by the word's definition.
Old 11th November 2020, 21:17     #42274
Lightspeed

That's the definition that appeals to you, yes.

But it's wrong, in the material sense. Meaning if you were asked about racism in the context of applying for a position in a respected organisation and that was your answer, you wouldn't get it.
Old 11th November 2020, 21:26     #42275
xor

Neither would you because you weren't able to make a definition about what racism is, smh
Old 11th November 2020, 21:40     #42276
Lightspeed

In 1920 sure, but this is 2020. You're a century behind the times xor. Catch up or don't.

Whitey wants a strict definition, what a surprise.
Old 11th November 2020, 21:44     #42277
fixed_truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
I have no doubt that people suffer greatly from racism. You and I are on the same page there. I spoke with my old wok colleague who used to get caned at school for speaking Maori. There is no dispute there.

I completely disagree with you when you state that non white people can't be racist against white people. If you attempt to denigrate someone based on the colour of their skin then you are racist. That's by the word's definition.
But can you see why that in academia they differentiate between racial discrimination and racism? That white people don't suffer greatly from "racism"? That the power behind words is an important consideration? When you umbrella it all as 'racism' then it's not useful & further disempowers those actually suffering greatly. A bit like when people categorize rape & wolf whistling as both being sexual assault.

Last edited by fixed_truth : 11th November 2020 at 21:49.
Old 11th November 2020, 23:18     #42278
Lightspeed

I like your approach better than mine, f_t.
Old 12th November 2020, 11:07     #42279
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by xor
100%

I went to high school with a PoC in South Africa who was albino. He was told (to his face) that he could not be given a job by a specific employer because he was "too white", no matter what his passport and ID book said. This is now extremely common practice in South Africa (and several other African neighbouring nations).
Old 12th November 2020, 11:44     #42280
Lightspeed

You guys are embarrassing. Crying over your fake oppression.

Life is hard. That you face discrimination isn't the same as oppression.

Cry some fucking more if that's what you need.