Register FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Go Back   NZGames.com Forums > General > Open Discussion
User Name
Password

Old 8th September 2016, 17:23     #40321
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoon1
To be clear, some people love to use excessive verbiage as padding in their writing to A) make themselves appear more intelligent and/or B) disguise the fact that their point is actually simple.

As a side note, I read almost all of that Carbon Fibre article and it's just absolute twaddle.
Look fair enough, I can respect your opinion (even if I don't agree with it) and at least you made an attempt to do more than just laugh at a title.

None of that was either verbiage or padding, that was writing for a specific field using the language of that field. No different from fields like economics, physics, linguistics or psychology. You write for your audience, who in this case would be other academics interested in gender, disability and technology.

For me though it is a fairly mundane paper that works from quite well recognised (and accepted) theories and applies them in a kind of interesting way to a contemporary example. There's no revolutionary claims or outlandish statements.

[Based on your reaction to the paper though you'd be appalled at the kind of ways we discuss music in the popular music studies paper that I'm tutoring for.]

Last edited by [Malks] Pixie : 8th September 2016 at 17:24.
Old 8th September 2016, 18:12     #40322
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

omg, they got to Pixie, he's one of the pod people now
Old 8th September 2016, 18:23     #40323
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
You gotta fit in where you work right? :-)
Old 8th September 2016, 18:28     #40324
crocos

Given the conversation, this seems relevant
http://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/popeye

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 8th September 2016, 18:43     #40325
[Malks] Pixie

It's funny 'cause it's true :-P
Old 8th September 2016, 19:19     #40326
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Sad but apparently true.

If I can be bothered later, when I'm not on my phone I'll point out some of the twaddle.
Old 8th September 2016, 19:41     #40327
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Sad but apparently true.

If I can be bothered later, when I'm not on my phone I'll point out some of the twaddle.
I'd actually prefer it if you didn't. I get that you disagree, probably with the entire idea of critical theory. Gender & disability studies aren't really my area, and I don't really want to invest any mental energy in defending someone else's paper.

To be blunt, this entire thing feels like one of my students complaining about the mark on their assignments.
Old 8th September 2016, 19:58     #40328
StN
I have detailed files

I'm still trying to work out if we got Pixie to do a Google image search on "blue waffle".
Old 9th September 2016, 01:08     #40329
Lightspeed

Quote:
To be clear, some people love to use excessive verbiage as padding in their writing to A) make themselves appear more intelligent and/or B) disguise the fact that their point is actually simple.

As a side note, I read almost all of that Carbon Fibre article and it's just absolute twaddle.
What kind of stuff do you usually read? It seems typically opaque for the field. I started reading it, but as a serious academic work, without some familiarity with the referenced authors I'm not really in much of a position to make sense of it.

You read a lot of academic literature? Is this your field, so you can tell whether its garbage or not? I wonder because it seems funny to criticise using excessive verbiage to explain simple points. Simple points expressed very completely is liable to get referenced a lot. I suspect Raewyn Connell's conceptualisation of masculinity is very full. A whole book for a single term. It must do a good job because it's apparently well cited.

It seems like something I should have read actually, I'll have to get hold of it.
Old 9th September 2016, 13:43     #40330
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

there's carbon fibre in my pants and everyone's invited

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8RL1iFFVDlg
Old 10th September 2016, 15:47     #40331
MadMax
Stuff

^ "The uploader has not made this video available in your country."

Is that this?
https://youtu.be/GaLyVtcpPz4?t=2m40s
Old 10th September 2016, 16:09     #40332
Spoon1
Mmm... Sacrilicious

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Malks] Pixie
I'd actually prefer it if you didn't. I get that you disagree, probably with the entire idea of critical theory. Gender & disability studies aren't really my area, and I don't really want to invest any mental energy in defending someone else's paper.

To be blunt, this entire thing feels like one of my students complaining about the mark on their assignments.
Man this really pushes your buttons eh? Take a look at your responses to me and see if I deserve the ad hominem...
Old 10th September 2016, 16:18     #40333
Lightspeed

Academics, pffft. All touchy about their fancy words, amirite?
Old 10th September 2016, 16:38     #40334
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Take a look at your responses to me and see if I deserve the ad hominem...
Which ad hominem would that be?
Old 10th September 2016, 17:12     #40335
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Malks] Pixie
It's funny 'cause it's true :-P
I dispute that; it's more a reflection of the existing paradigm

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 10th September 2016, 21:38     #40336
MadMax
Stuff

spookiest thing ever happened at tea time tonight

we had my mum around for tea and mr 6 year old started a conversation about what happens when you get old. it involved unwittingly humourous acting of how old people walk and other amusements.

but my son asks his mum, "what happens when you're 88?" to which she answers that she doesn't know and turns it back on him asking him how old will you be when I'm 88.

Blow me down, after a moments thought, he somehow guessed the age right.
Old 12th September 2016, 08:42     #40337
CCS
Stunt Pants

Aliexpress:

Quote:
You have a message from wang er.
Heh. Heheheheheh.

Uh huhuhuhuhhuh. Wanger.

Old 12th September 2016, 11:23     #40338
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

McDonald's Queen Street seems to have become a full blown homeless shelter. I'm surprised the company allows it to be used so blatantly as a place to sleep. There are guys with blankets over them, their possessions next to them, one guy with a bike, and rubbish everywhere (why clean up when you have unwashed people sprawled across your seats?). I would estimate about 11 people sleeping there last night and I was the only 'customer' actually awake.

Do people actually like Auckland, or do you just stay because your job/family is there?
Old 12th September 2016, 12:11     #40339
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
because your job/family is there?

This.
Old 12th September 2016, 12:29     #40340
pxpx

I like Auckland, but then I generally try to avoid Queen St at night. Plus job/family etc.
Old 12th September 2016, 16:09     #40341
Savage

Quote:
...family/friends are there?
3 hours away any time I need to visit. I get more and more disillusioned with Auckland every time I visit to be honest. If I ever moved back home, it would most likely be to Wellington or somewhere in the South Island.
Old 12th September 2016, 19:06     #40342
Ajax
Architeuthis

Quote:
Do people actually like Auckland, or do you just stay because your job/family is there?
Queen St McD's is a wretched hive of scum and villainy. However, other parts of Auckland are very pleasant. Nothing about it bothers me much apart from the heavy traffic.
Old 12th September 2016, 19:23     #40343
leadinjector

Quote:
fuck i get tired of boring cunts who always ask this question
Old 12th September 2016, 19:44     #40344
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
McDonald's Queen Street seems to have become a full blown homeless shelter. I'm surprised the company allows it to be used so blatantly as a place to sleep. There are guys with blankets over them, their possessions next to them, one guy with a bike, and rubbish everywhere (why clean up when you have unwashed people sprawled across your seats?). I would estimate about 11 people sleeping there last night and I was the only 'customer' actually awake.

Pretty normal for most cities. The problem scales up or down based on the population.

It's like people that complain about the once in a blue moon noisy neighbours when living urban.

You can take from life whatever you like. Wanna be negative and focus on the rubbish or be positive and enjoy the choices of late night dining that's up to you.
Old 12th September 2016, 22:25     #40345
pxpx

I bet the Maccas in Wanganui is a pretty fun place to be after hours. The Manners st maccas in Welly is also a dump in the middle of the night. There must be some kind of common thread here.

Last edited by pxpx : 12th September 2016 at 22:27.
Old 13th September 2016, 08:52     #40346
fixed_truth

Well if you've got a good job and are financially secure then yeah Auckland's probably a hoot.

related
Old 13th September 2016, 14:42     #40347
Lightspeed

xkcd: Earth Temperature Timeline

Why do I feel so depressed all of a sudden...
Old 13th September 2016, 17:18     #40348
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

wtf

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment...s-time-on-show
Old 13th September 2016, 18:36     #40349
CCS
Stunt Pants

The nerve of that man. What are we going to do about it? A petition has already been attempted. Should we protest march down Queen St? Form a mob outside his house and bay for his blood?
Old 13th September 2016, 20:45     #40350
StN
I have detailed files

Someone should film him vaccuming his Ferrari.

Last edited by StN : 13th September 2016 at 20:47.
Old 17th September 2016, 17:57     #40351
MadMax
Stuff

Has anyone noticed certain people or events in your life that no matter what path you may have gone down or chosen, fate would always have you run into them?
Old 17th September 2016, 19:56     #40352
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Heard it live, it was all done in good humour; they are always taking the piss out of each other and often ganging up on Hosking, its pretty hilarious. The walkout was just a bit of melodrama thrown in by Bernie.

I love reading anti-Hosking hate comments from the great unwashed in the stuff comments though.
Old 18th September 2016, 09:37     #40353
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
Has anyone noticed certain people or events in your life that no matter what path you may have gone down or chosen, fate would always have you run into them?
I don't know about that, but I have found that I can have as many product watches running on TM as I can, but as soon as I really need some classic IT gear, it will suddenly appear - case in point a SunSparc keyboard. I put the call out that I needed one, checked eBay and resolved myself to a lengthy and expensive international purchase having never seen any on TM in the last three years, when the very next day someone is selling about 10 on TM with a BuyNow of $4 each- WTF?
Old 19th September 2016, 10:36     #40354
leadinjector

wrestled a man who was wearing a crotchless leotard and a cock ring this morning. dont do meth kids.
Old 19th September 2016, 15:57     #40355
madmaxii

Old 19th September 2016, 15:59     #40356
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by leadinjector
wrestled a man who was wearing a crotchless leotard and a cock ring this morning. dont do meth kids.
post of the day
Old 19th September 2016, 16:13     #40357
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Be honest, that was before the work day even started.
Old 19th September 2016, 19:48     #40358
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by StN
I don't know about that, but I have found that I can have as many product watches running on TM as I can, but as soon as I really need some classic IT gear, it will suddenly appear - case in point a SunSparc keyboard. I put the call out that I needed one, checked eBay and resolved myself to a lengthy and expensive international purchase having never seen any on TM in the last three years, when the very next day someone is selling about 10 on TM with a BuyNow of $4 each- WTF?
when you fight chaos (the norm) shit gets real
Old 20th September 2016, 08:28     #40359
xor

Quote:

Pretty sure I've seen that in Wellington too

I'm only here because of whanau/job. I would have moved to Straya years ago but I'm not too keen on being a 2nd class citizen with kids..

My only options are AKL or WGN and seeing as I have whanau in AKL I guess I'll stay here for the interim.
Old 20th September 2016, 14:32     #40360
Cyberbob

Quote:
I simultaneously want, and do not want, to know more.