User Name
Password

Old 30th January 2018, 21:10     #35881
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by crocos
Pretty shit news
Life begins when you step out of your comfort zone man

Being made redundant from an old role years ago was pretty much what launched my career into the next level from where I'd been sort of stagnating for about 4 or 5 years. Every cloud, silver lining etc etc.

Best of luck
Old 30th January 2018, 22:10     #35882
Cyberbob

On the upside, the open job market raises salaries far quicker than businesses raise salaries for existing postions, so you'll likely wind up with a bit of a raise by changing companies.
Old 31st January 2018, 07:56     #35883
pxpx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberbob
On the upside, the open job market raises salaries far quicker than businesses raise salaries for existing postions, so you'll likely wind up with a bit of a raise by changing companies.
So true, and kind of a gear grinder in itself.
Old 31st January 2018, 09:12     #35884
MadMax
Stuff

Why must people register mx records against their alternative domain names that don’t actually accept mail?

Eg company is actually using a dot-com where all their mail goes but then they also register a dot-co.nz and list mx records for it with nothing behind those ip addresses to accept nor reject mail.

Means that anyone trying to email them gets repeated retry failures rather than a fatal bounce.
Old 31st January 2018, 10:50     #35885
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Don't count your strong redeployment hints until the chickens have hatched, if you get my drift.
Yep aware of that one - basically my next couple of days is deciding what to put into my CV then getting <shudder> LinkedIn updated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Don't pretend to be Mr Cool if you're actually hurt/gutted/scared. See a counsellor, get former employer to pay.
Yes, looking to do that, BNZ has provider EAP for counselling, financial assistance and that sort of thing.

Savage, Cyberbob: Cheers guys; While it would be nice (read: comfortable, unadventurous) to redeploy to a role inside the company, I'd be doing myself a disservice to hang my hat on that. I'm planning on looking at alternate roles both externally and internally even before the official "redeployment period" starts. Hopefully something new and challenging (and maybe even paid better).

وكل يوم كنت تعيش في العبودية
Old 31st January 2018, 13:13     #35886
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Yep aware of that one - basically my next couple of days is deciding what to put into my CV then getting <shudder> LinkedIn updated
Linkedin sucks, but it's a CV these days, gotta have it.

Quote:
Yes, looking to do that, BNZ has provider EAP for counselling, financial assistance and that sort of thing.
I got redundantised from a role back in about 2008 and the first thing I did was talk to an employment lawyer - I wasn't looking at dismissal action or anything, but I always figure talk to an expert if it's something significant - and he said go straight to counselling, do not argue with me on this, no matter how fucking staunch you feel take leave and go see someone. SOOOO glad I did. I thought I was cool but I wasn't.
Old 31st January 2018, 19:01     #35887
Savage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab

My LI profile is almost a direct translation of my actual CV, minus some fluff and technical details. I've picked up several quick contracts here and there based on LI profile, and a couple of full time roles. Trick is to ONLY keep functioning human beings, not all and sundry, old colleagues etc. etc. Restrict the number of recruiters you add to only the core excellent ones, and disable every possible notification in the application setting / Website.

Last edited by Savage : 31st January 2018 at 19:02.
Old 31st January 2018, 19:45     #35888
Cyberbob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
When I started my current job, HR realized they didn't actually have a copy of my CV - the hiring managers had just used my LinkedIn profile.

So yes, it's pretty essential.
Old 7th February 2018, 17:01     #35889
[Malks] Pixie

Fuck, have to deal with the Wellington rental market for the first time in 12 years. Just kill me now.
Old 7th February 2018, 17:54     #35890
Lightspeed

Brutal. Good luck.
Old 14th February 2018, 12:18     #35891
MadMax
Stuff

This song

Last edited by MadMax : 14th February 2018 at 12:19.
Old 14th February 2018, 13:22     #35892
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by [Malks] Pixie
Fuck, have to deal with the Wellington rental market for the first time in 12 years. Just kill me now.
Missed this post. Fuuuuck. R U OK
Old 14th February 2018, 13:37     #35893
Deadmeat

We just (RTA to be signed this weekend) rented out a property in Jville, absolutely savage what you can charge people to live in a place.
Old 14th February 2018, 14:38     #35894
crocos

If you don't mind, how much for how big a place?

Old 14th February 2018, 14:43     #35895
blynk

Gah. Overlimit fees GMG.

So for the past 4 months, I have been charged $10 fee + interest on an account (That I use for bills) with my bank because it started to go into overdraft (because some of the bills had increased). It lasted about a week before the AP put money into it.

I hadn't been keeping a close eye on the account but every time I looked it had money in it.

What really GMG, is that the bank did nothing. They didn't email, text, call, send a letter, put anything on Internet banking etc.
So basically I have paid $10, for nothing. Not to mention my other accounts all have enough money that would easily cover any overdraft on that 1 account.
Old 14th February 2018, 14:55     #35896
crocos

Some banks (Well, BNZ anyway, don't know about the others) allow you to set up alerting for certain situations, such as going overdrawn. Consider talking to your bank to see if that's functionality they offer?

Alternately with your account, perhaps get a small overdraft limit, $500 or so?

Last edited by crocos : 14th February 2018 at 14:56.
Old 14th February 2018, 16:16     #35897
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

Co-operative Bank recently changed their unexpected overdraft fee to only $2.50. It's still a fee, but it's not $25, or $10.

You could get a better bank?
Old 14th February 2018, 16:36     #35898
Deadmeat

Quote:
If you don't mind, how much for how big a place?
$450/w for 2bdr 1.5bath semi detached with off street parking about 10-15 walk from the trains. We were going to ask less but all the articles about how brutal it is made us say fuck it and see if it'd go at that price.
Old 14th February 2018, 20:29     #35899
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
Missed this post. Fuuuuck. R U OK
Ummm hard to tell as yet - brutal is a fucking understatement for the current market. Hitting up literally every boomer that folks (and in-laws) know to see if we can get in ahead of the masses and not have to deal with "professional" property managers.

A few stories from the search though. When telling one "agent" that we'd been in our current place for 12 years their response was to call me a fucking liar and hang up. Called back and registered an official complaint (thank god I record my calls) but I guess renting from them will be a no goer. Another asked what we had on our landlords to get such a long term rental - actually intimated (and not in a subtle way) that we were blackmailing our landlord, private listing though so no use complaining. Then there was the lady who, at the viewing, actually said that because we're in our 40s we'd be happy to pay an extra $100 a week to get ahead of the younger crowd. Rational discussion did not seem to be an effective tool in that case, walked (after saying "thanks but no thanks") and she left an abusive message on my partners mobile later.

I know these are outliers but there's a shit-ton of crazy wandering around out there. Plenty of regular, human interactions as well, but the crazy rarely announces itself.

And all that's before I do the dance around my current "employment status".
Old 15th February 2018, 12:03     #35900
blynk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
Co-operative Bank recently changed their unexpected overdraft fee to only $2.50. It's still a fee, but it's not $25, or $10.

You could get a better bank?
I had some a chat with some colleagues. I am definitely going to go back with a formal complaint about the fee, and I would like to see the Fee Justification they have for it.
We are doubting they will be able to contribute the direct costs my account going into overdraft.
If they had of sent me some letter/call/email/text. Then yes that is fine, I would have paid it, and I would have made sure that my account had the balance in it.
Old 15th February 2018, 12:12     #35901
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmeat
$450/w for 2bdr 1.5bath semi detached with off street parking about 10-15 walk from the trains. We were going to ask less but all the articles about how brutal it is made us say fuck it and see if it'd go at that price.
Nice . My mortgage is about that, so it's not like you're putting much aside for rates or repairs.

Old 16th February 2018, 09:06     #35902
DrTiTus
HENCE WHY FOREVER ALONE

How awful it would be to pay rates while someone else pays the mortgage. My heart goes out to all the landlords who aren't quite getting a free ride.
Old 16th February 2018, 10:02     #35903
[Malks] Pixie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadmeat
That's pretty reasonable for the market at the moment - the place next to us currently is a 2bdr standalone house (no parking, but is 5 mins walk to Cuba St) that's going for $680/week. It's the same size as our 1bdr they just crammed 2 in when it was renovated.
Old 16th February 2018, 15:04     #35904
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrTiTus
How awful it would be to pay rates while someone else pays the mortgage. My heart goes out to all the landlords who aren't quite getting a free ride.
LOL, true that, but my point was that he WASN'T charging a userous rent unlike many landlords.

Old 23rd February 2018, 10:49     #35905
MadMax
Stuff

Vodafone fault status updates - it’s either a drought or a flood
Old 27th February 2018, 20:28     #35906
Lightspeed

The local cafe/bar is getting broken into nearly every other week these days.
Old 9th March 2018, 15:21     #35907
xor

Been doing 60 hour work weeks for the last month and also about 20hours uni work per week since the semester started back up.

On top of that our dept is going through a review at the moment which I suppose is a good thing. We need the change but I can't help but feel like i'm watching an absurd version of Office Space involving me

Old 9th March 2018, 21:18     #35908
MadMax
Stuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightspeed
The local cafe/bar is getting broken into nearly every other week these days.
If I had some spare cash I'd buy a few NVR+Camera kits and provide them free or on hire to shops without them already
Old 9th March 2018, 21:22     #35909
Lightspeed

They got cameras (after 13 years of not needing them.) Alas, these burglars are wily, they wear hoodies.
Old 9th March 2018, 21:27     #35910
MadMax
Stuff

good "decorative" lighting from ground up and cameras at shoulder height ftw.

we've successfully prosecuted a couple of such dickheads aided by the above
Old 9th March 2018, 22:16     #35911
Savage

Man traps, and some pigs out the back to dispose of remains
Old 9th March 2018, 22:47     #35912
CCS
Stunt Pants

Overnight shotgun vigils in premises.

Crims won't come back after they've had a face full of buckshot.
Old 12th March 2018, 11:51     #35913
Juju
get to da choppa

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax
good "decorative" lighting from ground up and cameras at shoulder height ftw.

we've successfully prosecuted a couple of such dickheads aided by the above
This... after years of watching the NZ Maori TV quota on Police 10/7, I just don't get why people don't install CCTV at or below head height.
Old 12th March 2018, 15:08     #35914
crocos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juju
This... after years of watching the NZ Maori TV quota on Police 10/7, I just don't get why people don't install CCTV at or below head height.
Number of cameras I've seen nicked...

Old 25th March 2018, 10:10     #35915
MadMax
Stuff

upload entire computer dynamix catalogue to trademe
profit

https://www.trademe.co.nz/stores/e-deals

Old 26th March 2018, 00:47     #35916
Ab
A mariachi ogre snorkel

This just in, the Australian cricket team are a bunch of arrogant cheating snowflakes

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...25-p4z65f.html

in other news, sky found to be blue
Old 26th March 2018, 13:41     #35917
Macca@Work

Yeah I dont get that at all.They are a good enough bunch of players to be fair they dont need to do that shit.
Micheal Clarke choked on his cornflakes on twitter.
Old 26th March 2018, 16:01     #35918
CCS
Stunt Pants

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
This just in, the Australian cricket team are a bunch of cunts

FTFY
Old 26th March 2018, 20:40     #35919
StN
I have detailed files

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ab
This just in, the Australian cricket team are a bunch of arrogant cheating snowflakes

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricket...25-p4z65f.html

Comments FTW:

https://preview.trademe.co.nz/market...ing/1581640969
Old 27th March 2018, 12:10     #35920
Macca@Work

Why is Australia so outraged at Steven Smith's team?

http://www.espncricinfo.com/story/_/...ven-smith-team

Sometimes our sporting stars behave detestably, and are rightly castigated. Our cricketers are no exception. They say they do not cross "the line", while the rest of us wonder where the hell it is. Of course, like any line in the sand, it washes away with the tide, to be redrawn wherever it suits at the time.

The Australian public has a line, too. And with their culture of sledging, whingeing, hypocrisy and arrogance, our cricketers have been head-butting it for so long that they have become an insufferable national migraine.

So when Bancroft was seen cheating, by rubbing the ball with a shred of yellow tape, and then hiding the offending item in his jocks like a naughty schoolboy, there was no sympathy. An already frustrated nation was now also losing its trust in the team, and that trust irretrievably shattered when Smith admitted that this was a premeditated act, cooked up by the team leadership group at the lunch break.

WORD!